What's new

UK's Sun Newspaper Has 2-page Spread on Going Clear

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
The UK's most popular tabloid newspaper, The Sun, has a 2-page spread today on Going Clear and it slams Scientology. To see it online you need a subscription but the headlines are here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ology-followers-drop-after-more-scandals.html

Some of the bullet points:

"Scientology has only 50,000 members around the world, according to Going Clear, while the cult boasts it has millions"

"The film says American Scientology membership fell from 55,000 in 2001 to 25,000 in 2008, yet it claims to gain 4.4 million new members every year"

"Membership of Scientology's Clearwater HQ alone has plunged by 50 per cent since the film premiered in January"

The article talks about John Travolta being scared to leave, and it also discusses the Cruise/Kidman situation.

The Sun interviewed Hana Eltringham Whitfield and she talked about Hubbard's cruelty and temper tantrums. It was Hana who gave them the quote above about Clearwater membership being reduced by 50 per cent - she said someone told her this.

Of course they had to get the CofS's reply to the article. They describe Hana as "a murderer or co-conspirator" and they say the film's claims are "false and seriously misleading" and that the CofS is "expanding at a tremendous rate".:roflmao:

The article ends by mentioning that Going Clear is in cinemas on Friday.

The UK's most popular tabloid newspaper, The Sun, has a 2-page spread today on Going Clear and it slams Scientology. To see it online you need a subscription but the headlines are here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ology-followers-drop-after-more-scandals.html

Some of the bullet points:

"Scientology has only 50,000 members around the world, according to Going Clear, while the cult boasts it has millions"

"The film says American Scientology membership fell from 55,000 in 2001 to 25,000 in 2008, yet it claims to gain 4.4 million new members every year"

"Membership of Scientology's Clearwater HQ alone has plunged by 50 per cent since the film premiered in January"

The article talks about John Travolta being scared to leave, and it also discusses the Cruise/Kidman situation.

The Sun interviewed Hana Eltringham Whitfield and she talked about Hubbard's cruelty and temper tantrums. It was Hana who gave them the quote above about Clearwater membership being reduced by 50 per cent - she said someone told her this.

Of course they had to get the CofS's reply to the article. They describe Hana as "a murderer or co-conspirator" and they say the film's claims are "false and seriously misleading" and that the CofS is "expanding at a tremendous rate".:roflmao:

The article ends by mentioning that Going Clear is in cinemas on Friday.

It's rather lovely considering the more psycho elements within scientology, eg, OSA, DM etc, use STATS to try to be at cause - per LRH PL of course. So, nice that the Sun is using STAT speak to create communication, reality, and ah....well not really affinity. I guess that could mean an ARC break. Is it a break in C, R, A, or U? Cans are being crushed with the pressure. Lots more good publicity for Going Clear.

Jump

Operating teatime
It's rather lovely considering the more psycho elements within scientology, eg, OSA, DM etc, use STATS to try to be at cause - per LRH PL of course. So, nice that the Sun is using STAT speak to create communication, reality, and ah....well not really affinity. I guess that could mean an ARC break. Is it a break in C, R, A, or U? Cans are being crushed with the pressure. Lots more good publicity for Going Clear.

Or just revealing all the CRAP that Hubbard assembled.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron

Looks like only 1 cinema has been announced for Friday - Nottingham - but others could be scheduled on other dates.

http://www.filmdates.co.uk/films/9263-going-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief/

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

Terril park

Sponsor
Nottingham's quite a walk from me. It would be nice for a little SP film showing though.....mmmmmm what should I wear? SO uniform or boiler suit?

There should be more than the one showing though so lets wait a bit before planning anything.

I wrote about the shambles when I tried to see the film and was told the public aren't
allowed in. I found the Cinema "Picturehouse Central" was only officially opened a couple
of days ago. Below my thanks for attending. My guess is if its only showing in 10-15
venues its at small art cinema's. This below may help you locate a venue.

http://www.sundance.org/comfy/cms/files/files/000/006/866/original/20150617SDLThankYou.jpg

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
OK, here's the venues...

In cinemas from 26 June - Screenings list
London – Curzon Mayfair

London - Doc House (near Hammersmith)

London - Greenwich Picturehouse

London - Hackney Picturehouse

London - Picturehouse Central

London – Ritzy Picturehouse, Brixton

London - Stratford East Picturehouse

Brighton – Dukes at Komedia

Cambridge – Cambridge Arts Picturehouse

Edinburgh – Cameo Cinema

Glasgow - Glasgow Film Theatre

Liverpool - Picturehouse at FACT

Manchester - HOME

Newcastle – Tyneside Cinema

Nottingham - Broadway Cinema

http://goingclear.squarespace.com/?gclid=CP7mtv34o8YCFWnItAodV0YAjg

still here

Patron with Honors
The Guardians review is worth reading and so are the comments bellow it, click on more comments to see quite a lot, though never enough, so please add your comments there!

No point in keeping good entheta to ourselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...bly-compelling-study-of-a-creepy-organisation

Thank you La La!

I loved the Guardian write up and a small video of their critics discussing the film. It clearly showed just how ridiculous, creepy and down right nasty Scientology is to sensible people.

There was a little write up before the video I quote for you here;

"The most mesmerising moment in Going Clear, Alex Gibney’s wrecking-ball job on Scientology, watched so far by 5.5 million Americans, is a clip of leading church executives singing along to a clunking 1980s rock anthem, We Stand Tall. Disciples wave candles and sway in bad knitwear but, by this point in the HBO documentary, we know that the church allegedly blackmails adherents over their sex lives; that it is thuggish to those who question its conduct; that founder L Ron Hubbard was a conman who switched from writing bad science fiction to bad space religion; that his successor “Pope” David Miscavige is portrayed as a psychopath who has repeatedly hit and tortured his staff."

Really made me laugh, but is shockingly accurate and succinct.

I love "Sway in bad knitwear" and "bad science fiction to bad space religion"

:roflmao:
Hope it makes you laugh too!
Still

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Thank you La La!

I loved the Guardian write up and a small video of their critics discussing the film. It clearly showed just how ridiculous, creepy and down right nasty Scientology is to sensible people.

There was a little write up before the video I quote for you here;

"The most mesmerising moment in Going Clear, Alex Gibney’s wrecking-ball job on Scientology, watched so far by 5.5 million Americans, is a clip of leading church executives singing along to a clunking 1980s rock anthem, We Stand Tall. Disciples wave candles and sway in bad knitwear but, by this point in the HBO documentary, we know that the church allegedly blackmails adherents over their sex lives; that it is thuggish to those who question its conduct; that founder L Ron Hubbard was a conman who switched from writing bad science fiction to bad space religion; that his successor “Pope” David Miscavige is portrayed as a psychopath who has repeatedly hit and tortured his staff."

Really made me laugh, but is shockingly accurate and succinct.

I love "Sway in bad knitwear" and "bad science fiction to bad space religion"

:roflmao:
Hope it makes you laugh too!
Still
I could't post that video here, I don't know how, it's not youtube, but here's a couple of other related ones, and yes it was great!
We stand tall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXne-DNEmLA
the famous parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpapeX6Vzs