What's new

UK's Sunday Times Magazine Cover Story - Tom Cruise and Going Clear

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sunday Times cover story today - "Is Tom Cruise on a mission to self-destruct?".

The article covers 6 pages and is hugely critical of Scientology.

See a preview here: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/

It covers all of the information about Cruise from Going Clear plus it mentions the background of Scientology including the FBI raids of the 1970's, Hubbard's wife being imprisoned, Hubbard escaping justice by going to sea etc.

Of course it mentions the xenu story and Target 2 and calls Miscavige Tom Cruise's "soulmate".

It covers the Sea Org - "100-hour working weeks for $50", "women who aren't allowed to have children", "freeloader debt", "the notorious Rehabilitation Project Force".

Another amusing quote: "Like Cruise, Miscavige had been a weakling at school, plagued by asthma and allergies. He'd never had the final growth spurt of his friends".

Interestingly it also mentions Ron Miscavige Snr and his yet-to-be-published book "If He Dies, He Dies" and the CofS's response - "bullshit".

Six pages of entheta in one of the UK's most prestigious publications.

Tick tock Tom and Dave.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember when I was in the cult, every time there was some "attack" such as a negative article in a newspaper or magazine the response would be to "flourish and prosper".

For staff and sea org this would mean increasing their stats. Obviously stats are supposed to go up all of the time anyway but in the face of an "attack" they have to produce even more.

For public this would mean being told to spend more time on courses or, preferably, give more money. Obviously public are always being told to give more time and money but in the face of an "attack" they have to give more.

In my time in the cult these "attacks" were few and far between but nowadays they seem to be coming on a daily basis. Therefore it seems to me that we could be reaching a critical mass whereby more and more staff, sea org and public decide there must be more to life than this and start looking for the exit door.

Let's hope so anyway.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you Thetan Exterior.

I tweeted and cross posted on Facebook.
Earlier we were told that British libel laws were tougher, rah rah rah, that Going Clear might not even make the United Kingdom theatres.

Well Going Clear showed all over the place and the author of this Sunday Times essay obviously saw it.

But what is interesting is that this essay is scathing I mean SCATHING and with no fear of the so called tough British Libel Laws.

TOMCruise.selfdestruct.jpg

prosecco

Patron Meritorious

Thank you Thetan Exterior.

I tweeted and cross posted on Facebook.
Earlier we were told that British libel laws were tougher, rah rah rah, that Going Clear might not even make the United Kingdom theatres.

Well Going Clear showed all over the place and the author of this Sunday Times essay obviously saw it.

But what is interesting is that this essay is scathing I mean SCATHING and with no fear of the so called tough British Libel Laws.

TOMCruise.selfdestruct.jpg

It has always been the case in the UK that TRUTH is a defense to alleged libel.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
A few years ago, I would have said that Tom Cruise is the weakest link in Scientology since relatively few people knew who David Miscavige was. Now they're really stuck with each other, as Scientology rolls of a cliff into the sea of failed scams and cults, a well-documented example of a "prison of belief." I wonder if they blame each other.

Miscavige targeted Shelly as a trouble source, and had her "disappeared," or isolated anyway. Katie, taking her daughter with her, escaped from both Tom and Scientology. It's hard to decide between the two, which spells it out more clearly that Scientology does not have all the answers.

Cornelius Bigot

Patron with Honors
Rupert Murdoch owns the Sunday Times through News Corp.
He had a bit of a snafu with Scilons attacking him on Twitter after two negative tweets about Ze Cherch.

I can imagine an old crank like him carrying a little grudge.

fOIph.jpg

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Can't read this without a subscription?
Well, you could always nip round to the newsagents and actually buy the paper I suppose. I resent putting money in Murdoch's pocket by doing that, notwithstanding his stance on scientology. Anyway, it's pissing down with rain outside at the moment, so I ain't goin' nowhere.

Hopefully someone will scan in the article for us all to read.

Leland

Crusader
With the release date of Tom's latest movie now being 19 days away......this is really a hard hitting punch. I would imagine that the timing is not by chance? Murdock could have approved an article title about the C of S.....but it is titled to be about Tom...

Just reading the posts above....(and not the article itself) it seems very damning...

Sometimes I wonder...if something like this is not one "giant world wide business figure" ( Murdock) taking a swipe at another "giant world wide business figure..." ( Sumner Redstone owner of Paramount)

This article could literally cost Paramount 10s of millions of dollars...in movie revenue....( I hope so )

It would be interesting to see the Tweets Murdock received back...in reply to his comments on the Cult .....

I believe both Sumner and Murdock are "stepping" down from leadership of their ( individual ) empires.....at this time.....

(yes, I am somewhat fascinated by mega size business owners, if no one has noticed that before...:p)

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
With the release date of Tom's latest movie now being 19 days away......this is really a hard hitting punch. I would imagine that the timing is not by chance? Murdock could have approved an article title about the C of S.....but it is titled to be about Tom...

Just reading the posts above....(and not the article itself) it seems very damning...

Sometimes I wonder...if something like this is not one "giant world wide business figure" ( Murdock) taking a swipe at another "giant world wide business figure..." ( Sumner Redstone owner of Paramount)

This article could literally cost Paramount 10s of millions of dollars...in movie revenue....( I hope so )

It would be interesting to see the Tweets Murdock received back...in reply to his comments on the Cult .....

I believe both Sumner and Murdock are "stepping" down from leadership of their ( individual ) empires.....at this time.....

(yes, I am somewhat fascinated by mega size business owners, if no one has noticed that before...:p)

It was on the BBC last week that Rebekah Brooks may be going back... Timing seems rather convenient.

Leland

Crusader
The "Mission Impossible" franchise....( with tom cruise...) is only on the Top Box Office opening weekend revenue list....at the #125 slot. (for a single movie opening...) Even movies like Toy Story beat him badly....:biggrin:

Not to say that it hasn't made lots of money....but it made the top 175 movie list @ #125.

I suppose that "opening weekend" Movie box office receipts are a widely published and read "statistic". I suppose this latest movie could be labeled a "flop" if receipts aren't of the expected quantity....??

Certainly what the opening day ( weekend ) receipts of this movie are, will be widely talked about...(in the industry...) AND will affect Tom Cruises career standing...and earning potential in the future....

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
As a kid I use to like the TV shows about spies...and international intrigue. I suppose this was somewhat due to the Cold War era....

I use to watch Mission Impossible dubbed in Thai on TV in Bangkok, when I was a kid.....and that was very difficult to do....( I couldn't really...)

For decades the James Bond Movie Franchise owned by Columbia Pictures, and now Sony.....was by far the largest money making movie "franchise" in history.....

Then along came Lord of the Rings.....and the Bond Franchise got knocked off its perch.

Then along came Harry Potter...and the Lord of the Rings got knock out of it's short lived #1 spot.

Now, the Harry Potter Franchise is #2.....

Anyway....it always pissed me off that Paramount took what was a TV show...Mission Impossible and made a Movie Franchise out of it....Especially with Tom Cruise as the lead....

Business wise....it seemed a no brainer...to do so....( and a money maker )

Anyway, the Mission Impossible Franchise is #21 on the big list of top movie franchise money makers....

Sony has Bond, Paramount has Mission Impossible.....and Warner Brothers...is due to release "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." this year.....and I suppose throw its hat into the ring for this lucrative genre...spy movies...and international intrigue....

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchises/sort/World

Last edited:

hartley

Patron with Honors
Since Sky TV and the Sunday Times both belong to News Corp, I'm going to put this down to Murdoch conceding to his lawyers that 'Going Clear' couldn't be transmitted but then telling his posh newspaper to stick one on the creepy cultists anyway!

His dislike of Scientology originated in a spat in Australia, when a rival TV company ran a pro-Scientology spoiler on for TV show about Scientology. Since then attacks on Scientology in the UK have been bipartisan - nobody likes the cult.

Leland

Crusader
No matter "how well" or "how poorly" Tom Cruise's movie does in a couple weeks at the box office....it's earning will be a drop in the bucket....compared to Viacom's over all revenue....

Viacom, which owns Paramount Studios.....released their 2015 First Quarter earning report recently.....and have posted 3.1 billion dollars in revenue.

Viacom will buy $750 million dollars worth of its own stock back ...in the first half of 2015.

I don't know what to say about this trend in Corporation Stock buy back programs.....

On one hand, it strengthens share holder value. On the other, it supports the stock price ....(price fixing sorta....)

Viacom's cash on hand dropped to 306 million from one billion....due to stock buy back program...

Viacom generates about 12 billion a year in revenue....

Rupurt Murdock's 20th Century News Corp Sunday Times Magazine article is kinda like a cat playing with a Viacom mouse....( Tom Cruise ). 20th Century News Corp has about 8 billion a year in revenue....

Tom Cruise from May 2011 to May 2012 earned 75 million.....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...s-our-list-of-hollywoods-highest-paid-actors/

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...D2048FEC4F67/VIA_Q2_2015_Earnings_Release.pdf

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
The image of a fading actor like Tom Cruise as a super-spy stands in stark contrast to the Spyintology cult's real-life actions.

This proves that reality is stranger than fiction.

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
The image of a fading actor like Tom Cruise as a super-spy stands in stark contrast to the Spyintology cult's real-life actions.

This proves that reality is stranger than fiction.

The absolute worst was when the little asshole played Jack Reacher. In the books, Reacher is 6' 4" and over 220#. I refuse to watch it. Ever.

RogerB

Crusader
Well, the good news, good outcome of "Mr. Cruise's" latest press (the "Mr." as a courtesy to known actORS as is wont in correct writing) . . . well the good news is that this definitely blows to smithereens the cult's program of recruiting "celebrities" . . . :biggrin::biggrin:

Mr. Cruise you have most masterfully shown what a time bomb it is to have Scientology strapped about the midriff of any public figure or celeb.

Mr. Cruise you have single-handedly shown the Scientology cult is a disaster to any professional career.

And even better, you have shown what a bunch of loonies its current fanatical adherents are.

We thank you, Sir. Nicely done!

/