What's new

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt TV Show

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I do not know if anyone did a post on this before now but a new TV show called Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is being made for Netflix about a girl who after 15 years in a cult comes back to the real world . Hopefully it will be realistic and show cult issues as we who had the experience of being in can relate to . Some writers and pros in other fields do not get what cults are or the experiences are like at all . Steven Hassan has repeatedly talked about how law enforcement and mental health professionals treat cultists and exes like either criminals or mentally ill people which is not correct or helpful .

Here is a quote from Deadline Hollywood :
Kimmy Schmidt‘s jump to Netflix might be a sign of things to come, with that brand of comedy possibly permanently leaving the broadcast airwaves as it caters to viewers who have migrated away from linear viewing to digital platforms. If Fey’s acclaimed 30 Rock came out today, who knows if it would’ve lasted as long on a broadcast network as it did.

Greenblatt underscored the company’s commitment to the series. “We’re already talking to (Fey and Carlock) about new development for NBC, but meanwhile, everyone here from Universal Television will do everything possible to see that Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt becomes a long-running hit on Netflix.” End quote

Now this is a comedy - and as an ex cultist I can tell them all about the comedy of cults - from Hubbard and DM's idiocy to the " pranks " of OSA !
The fun of being given LSD flavored toothpaste ! Or having a woman covered in blood pretend you attacked her ! Or having your plane wrecked so you crash land ! Or having your fingerprints on a blank piece of paper used to frame you for a bomb threat ! I hope they show the zany chain locker and small kids crying as they are left in there for days ! The goofy forced abortions ! Ha ha !The cancer patients who could be cured but instead give their life savings to have 75 million year old alien space ghosts exorcised ! Think of the laughs as they slowly die and are told they " pulled it in " ! What goofy hijinks .

Or the cultists who defraud their partners then murder them with close range gunfire to the head and then attempt suicide ! Families broken up , oh Hub got us good with that one , how about the constant terror of damnation and failing the human race ? Always good for a chuckle . I hope they get the fun of our private religious retreat - the RPF and the hole . The mirth of running around a pole then doing the truth rundown so your mind is turned to mush . Don't forget R2-45.

Seriously if done poorly this could give false info and be worse then none . With none a person can see they do not know but with grossly inaccurate info they can be sure there is nothing more to learn and never learn .

I will not be happy explaining what Scientology is like to a never in who just watches a bad TV show and thinks they know as much as or more than me . After all all opinions are equal , ugh . And if it is on TV it " must be true " .

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
The show is out now. I'm working my way through season one and enjoying it a lot. It's a comedy and you shouldn't expect too much cult education out of it. The story is really about Kimmy's life AFTER getting rescued from the bunker she was held in for 15 years. She moves to NYC and tries to fit in, but is basically living 15 years in the past. There are flashbacks to her time in the bunker, but it's all very lighthearted. Personally, I find the humor in the show hilarious. And I'm pretty hard on comedies - most of them I find stupid and insulting.

But there are some parts of the story that really ring true for me. A few people know about Kimmy's past, but for the most part, she's trying to keep it a secret. A few times she almost slips and talks about "the bunker", like "there were only two books down in the ... um... reading nook in the house I used to live in." I know I've often found myself relating stories with slightly altered facts to avoid the details of my involvement in Scn. So stuff like that cracks me up.