What's new

Unchosen: From the Ashes of Scientology Rises a New Author, Jason Barclay

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Unchosen: From the Ashes of Scientology Rises a New Author, Jason Barclay.

Press Release via Digital Journal: Unchosen: From the Ashes of Scientology Rises a Promising New Author, and a Blockbuster New Book Series
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2080327

Excerpts:
Los Angeles, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/25/2014 -- J.M. Barclay is on a mission. The author of the Amazon #1 Best-Selling ‘Unchosen: Rise of the Secret Wizard Societies’ received a second chance at life after becoming embroiled in the quagmire of Scientology, and now, his goal is to make sure that no one else feels the same despair he experienced.
About Jason Barclay

When Jason Barclay was 3 he used to wonder what pains the world might be going through and what he might be able to do to help. He was always a storyteller, he just never had the discipline to finish anything. When he was 3 would tell his mother different stories, one was about a helicopter that made her duck as if it was real...

By the time Jason was 13 his parents divorced and went to opposite ends of the earth. He stayed with his mother while his dad went to Israel. Jason would only be able to visit his jubilant and wise father a few times in the coming years. His mother was more of the serious worker type but they all still found times to build memories and went on many nice vacations. His mother was adamant about dreaming big and working hard at life. She took Jason and his sister too many lectures and events evolved around "Millionaire Mind"/ Motivational types of concepts etc.

At the age of 25 he received a rough lesson in the dangers of blind belief when he joined the Church Of Scientology's 'Sea Organization'.. At one point he even began to contemplate suicide. His mom tried to get him out but he saw her efforts as a threat and almost disconnected from her. If he they both wouldn't have lived too much longer because of their failing health and he was possibly the only person on earth who could train and gently push his mother back to a steady heart rate.

After he left he was devastated and found it hard to want to do anything in life.

But he did have one glimmer of hope. He thought that he could commit to writing a story bigger than himself and that, maybe, could make a difference in the world...
Prior videos about Jason Barclay:

[video=youtube_share;odPU1YR-jw0]http://youtu.be/odPU1YR-jw0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;c_CFd5cwGdQ]http://youtu.be/c_CFd5cwGdQ[/video]

EDITED TO ADD:

JM Barclay Amazon Author Page
http://www.amazon.com/J.M.-Barclay/e/B00LG9MVLU/

Excerpt:
At the age of 25 he received a rough lesson in the dangers of blind belief when he joined the Church Of Scientology's 'Sea Organization'.. At one point he even began to contemplate suicide. His mom tried to get him out but he saw her efforts as a threat and almost disconnected from her. If he they both wouldn't have lived too much longer because of their failing health and he was possibly the only person on earth who could train and gently push his mother back to a steady heart rate.

Amazon: Unchosen: Rise of The Secret Wizard Societies
http://www.amazon.com/Unchosen-Rise-Secret-Wizard-Societies-ebook/dp/B00LF2PGME/

attachment.php

Unchosen: Rise of The Secret Wizard Societies [Kindle Edition]

J.M. Barclay (Author), Melissa Barclay (Editor), Beth Kramer(Editor), Scott Gordon (Editor), Emiliano Cordorba (Illustrator),Keoni Ceballos (Illustrator)

4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)

Kindle Price:$2.99

pDP-KU-badge_prime-height._TTD_.jpg

Read this title for free and get unlimited access to over 600,000 titles. Learn More

Kindle Unlimited
Enjoy unlimited access to over 600,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for $9.99 a month, including this one. Learn more

Book Description

Publication Date: July 1, 2014 | Age Level: 6 - 18 | Grade Level: K - 12

Complex Magic, Romance and Battles of Good vs. Evil.

New Contest! Anyone who buys this book at $2.99 and leaves an honest review by Aug 15 will be entered into a contest to win a Kindle Fire. Please only leave a review once you have completed the book. We'll record the video where we take all new verified purchases and pull one of them out of a wizards hat! We may do this multiple times depending on sales :)

We can’t wait for YOUR review, good or bad, so that this trilogy can possibly grow into something larger than life. :)

Check out our new free podcast to be able to learn more about how we're trying to save the world with this book, general good news, chosen one news, some of my philosophy on how I feel we can make the world a better place and some extra behind the scenes data of the book. :)

Podcast: http://jmbarclay.podbean.com

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNWFppQvK4

Kickstarter! - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/864548508/unchosen-rise-of-the-secret-wizard-societies

I believe you're in for a ride. You'll quickly realize there’s more to this little story from the cosmos in my mind than you may have, at first, expected from this "young adult" book. In a funny way, I feel this is the story you’ve been waiting for…

"‘Unchosen: Rise of the Secret Wizard Societies’ is more than just an electrifying fusion of magic and the universal struggle between light and dark. This young adult novel is a call to action, and a battle cry to those who wish to make the world a better place – but don’t know where to begin."

UNCHOSEN is a story about a rebellious orphan boy who’s somehow chosen to save our modern world with a flair of fantasy. There is also a ‘beyond the book’ world of “Chosen Ones” that are willing to do one thing a week to help make the world a better place.

By the end of the book you’ll not only feel brighter, but you may also become motivated to stand up and join the “Chosen Ones” in their effort to help make the world a better place :). So reader be warned, this book won’t just entertain you, it may also inspire you!

Attachments

• Unchosen.jpg
    Unchosen.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think Jason will be a much happier, satisfied individual if he realizes it is not the duty of an individual to "save the earth/ humanity."

He might just find what he's looking for by helping a few people in his neighborhood every day, or reading to kids at head start, or visiting nursing home residents.

Life doesn't have to be some epic adventure or a mission, that type of grandiose black and white thinking can get you into some terrible situations - like joining the SO. Or thinking writing one epic Harry Potter style blockbuster book will change the fate of mankind.

Just chill, be kind, love and help those around you - the fate of civilization has never rested on an individual's shoulders.

Reasonable

I don’t understand. This was LA not Gold in Hemmet.

There is no fence, you can just walk out. I don’t think they would drag you back in.

They would use physiological warfare and make you feel guilty but I don’t think they would handcuff you and forceably bring you in. That would be kidnapping and even they know what a shit storm that could cause.

Maybe psychologically he felt trapped but physically he could simply walk out. This wasn’t an escape IMO. He simply left.

You just walk down the street and you are off the property, you sit in a Burger King restaurant and wait for your mother to pick you up.

This was not exactly “The Great Escape”

I am open to listen to other thoughts on this. Maybe I am missing something.:confused2:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

There is no fence, you can just walk out. I don’t think they would drag you back in.

They would use physiological warfare and make you feel guilty but I don’t think they would handcuff you and forceably bring you in. That would be kidnapping and even they know what a shit storm that could cause.

Maybe psychologically he felt trapped but physically he could simply walk out. This wasn’t an escape IMO. He simply left.

You just walk down the street and you are off the property, you sit in a Burger King restaurant and wait for your mother to pick you up.

They might not grab you, but they would physically surround you, so you would have to push them out of the way. Most SO people are too beaten down to contemplate that.

He almost didn't make it out because he was insistent on taking his stuff.

There is an old Chinese adage, "In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."

Hardly any Sea Org member has stuff whose value exceeds what he would earn in his first month out. For most, the first week's paycheck would replace it. If he was willing to leave the stuff, mom could have picked him up at the laundromat.

If you're talking to a SO member contemplating blowing, the first thing to tell him is "Leave the stuff. Stuff can be replaced. Just leave."

BunnySkull

Sigh. I decided to read the free preview available at Amazon. Oy vey.

I have earned a living writing professionally in my life, not novels, but let's just say writing that strictly adheres to AP and journalistic professional standards.

The first pages of the book were riddled with grammar, punctuation errors but the worst offense was using cliche filled writing. If I had turned in the first page to some of the editors/bosses I've had over the years, even as a rough draft, I'd have been cleaning out my office toot sweet.

But I'm not going to rip apart the guy's book, I figure he will be in for a bumpy ride if he's at all serious about literary aspirations so I will offer some practical advice.

One cannot undertake writing a novel without first learning about the art and craft of writing. I don't care if you are just writing for YA audiences, if you're going to copy a Harry Potter type premise you need to bring something fresh to the table because the idea has already been done to enormous success. (Good writing style could be one of those things, because while Rowling was a good story teller she wasn't a great writer.) There are countless creative and AP style writing courses available online, at community colleges and Universities which any serious writer should avail themselves.

However, the thing I will always stress the most to anyone who wants to write is to READ. Read widely, voraciously, read fiction, read non-fiction, read the great novels, read the classics, read the pulp noir novels of the 1940's, read the newpaper, read,read, read....the greatest authors are always also tireless readers. One of the worst things about Scientology is that it doomed many of its members to felliating and only reading Hubbard, who was a godawful writer. If any former SO members want to become writers I can only stress they wash the Hubbard out of their brains and emerse themselves in good books. (BTW I thought the non-fiction autobiographies by Marc Headley and Jefferson Hawkins were very good for two non-professional writers. Their personal, conversational style of writing was engrossing. Rathbun would be on the other end of the spectrum, he needs to exorcise the Hubbard out of his writing.)

Writing is one craft that you can learn a lot via osmosis, i.e. reading. However, reading the Harry Potter series does not mean you are prepared to write a similar novel. Read all of Tolkien's books, the Grimm Fairytales, Greek mythology, Joesph Cambell, medieval folklore, etc..discover the roots upon which all fantasy writers have come from before trying to till the ground yourself.

Deciding to write a novel after reading a few books is akin to going to the local craft store, buying some paints and deciding you are going to paint the Mona Lisa. It's best to start out writing short stories, character sketches, essays, etc... Practice the craft before aiming for the mountaintop.

Also, get a real hardass experienced editor. Real editors make good writers great.

Writing is definitely one craft you start out slowly and it take enormous amounts of dedication and practice, you also have to have thick skin because criticism and rejection are a important part of the process. You do not start out of the gate by writing the great American novel, though many have tried and failed. Aim a little lower, writing a great essay or short story is tough enough. Once you can competently conquer a short format, expand.

Important tip to anyone who wants to try their hand as a writer - AVOID HYPERBOLE. Calling your first self-published novel a blockbuster new series or a bestseller (when it's not) just invites trouble.

Edit: Just to add, I think a lot of people have read about JK Rowling as the "single mum on the dole to millionaire best selling author" and missed a rather key point. Rowling was a bi-lingual secretary and researcher from Amnesty International before becoming a mum, before that she received and read for a BA in French and Classics at the University of Exeter. She has also discussed being a voracious reader as a teenager, which a degree in Classics would lead you to expect. Though I'm not a Harry Potter fan I do have a soft spot for Rowling because we are both ardent fans of Jessica Mitford, who was one hell of a woman, writer and rebel. I think many people make the mistake of thinking Rowling managed to become a best selling writer without any formal training or background in writing, and that is not the case.

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I am open to listen to other thoughts on this. Maybe I am missing something.:confused2:

The prison is more psychological than physical. Although I have heard of security staff trying to physically prevent other staff from blowing (whether it's Flag, LA or "uplines"). In that world of craziness, anything is possible. There is a story somewhere of a guy blowing the ship, and he was physically assaulted and imprisoned.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Unchosen: From the Ashes of Scientology Rises a New Author, Jason Barclay.

Press Release via Digital Journal: Unchosen: From the Ashes of Scientology Rises a Promising New Author, and a Blockbuster New Book Series
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2080327

Excerpts: Prior videos about Jason Barclay:

[video=youtube_share;odPU1YR-jw0]http://youtu.be/odPU1YR-jw0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;c_CFd5cwGdQ]http://youtu.be/c_CFd5cwGdQ[/video]

EDITED TO ADD:

JM Barclay Amazon Author Page
http://www.amazon.com/J.M.-Barclay/e/B00LG9MVLU/

Excerpt:

Amazon: Unchosen: Rise of The Secret Wizard Societies
http://www.amazon.com/Unchosen-Rise-Secret-Wizard-Societies-ebook/dp/B00LF2PGME/

attachment.php

This is fantastic!! I just wish that I could get it via google books because I do not have a kindle.

Purple Rain

Crusader

Yeah, you are. Do you seriously think they're just going to let you walk out? To escape Big Blue, I had to pack in the dark, while giving the impression to my roommates that I had permission to go (even though I didn't exactly say that I did) and wander the streets of Los Angeles in the early hours of the morning with two heavy suitcases to find an acquaintance I had made outside Scientology that might help me get to the airport - talk someone into letting me into their building just as a Scientology bus load of Sea Org members pulled up at the traffic lights - with my heart pounding the whole time and a strange man pretending to help me who tried to lure me into his house. I was lucky to make it out of the whole experience alive and unmolested really - let alone not to be caught and marched back to ethics. Do you think they just go, "Well, okay. You want to leave? Sure! Off you go!"

Purple Rain

Crusader
Sigh. I decided to read the free preview available at Amazon. Oy vey.

I have earned a living writing professionally in my life, not novels, but let's just say writing that strictly adheres to AP and journalistic professional standards.

The first pages of the book were riddled with grammar, punctuation errors but the worst offense was using cliche filled writing. If I had turned in the first page to some of the editors/bosses I've had over the years, even as a rough draft, I'd have been cleaning out my office toot sweet.

But I'm not going to rip apart the guy's book, I figure he will be in for a bumpy ride if he's at all serious about literary aspirations so I will offer some practical advice.

One cannot undertake writing a novel without first learning about the art and craft of writing. I don't care if you are just writing for YA audiences, if you're going to copy a Harry Potter type premise you need to bring something fresh to the table because the idea has already been done to enormous success. (Good writing style could be one of those things, because while Rowling was a good story teller she wasn't a great writer.) There are countless creative and AP style writing courses available online, at community colleges and Universities which any serious writer should avail themselves.

However, the thing I will always stress the most to anyone who wants to write is to READ. Read widely, voraciously, read fiction, read non-fiction, read the great novels, read the classics, read the pulp noir novels of the 1940's, read the newpaper, read,read, read....the greatest authors are always also tireless readers. One of the worst things about Scientology is that it doomed many of its members to felliating and only reading Hubbard, who was a godawful writer. If any former SO members want to become writers I can only stress they wash the Hubbard out of their brains and emerse themselves in good books. (BTW I thought the non-fiction autobiographies by Marc Headley and Jefferson Hawkins were very good for two non-professional writers. Their personal, conversational style of writing was engrossing. Rathbun would be on the other end of the spectrum, he needs to exorcise the Hubbard out of his writing.)

Writing is one craft that you can learn a lot via osmosis, i.e. reading. However, reading the Harry Potter series does not mean you are prepared to write a similar novel. Read all of Tolkien's books, the Grimm Fairytales, Greek mythology, Joesph Cambell, medieval folklore, etc..discover the roots upon which all fantasy writers have come from before trying to till the ground yourself.

Deciding to write a novel after reading a few books is akin to going to the local craft store, buying some paints and deciding you are going to paint the Mona Lisa. It's best to start out writing short stories, character sketches, essays, etc... Practice the craft before aiming for the mountaintop.

Also, get a real hardass experienced editor. Real editors make good writers great.

Writing is definitely one craft you start out slowly and it take enormous amounts of dedication and practice, you also have to have thick skin because criticism and rejection are a important part of the process. You do not start out of the gate by writing the great American novel, though many have tried and failed. Aim a little lower, writing a great essay or short story is tough enough. Once you can competently conquer a short format, expand.

Important tip to anyone who wants to try their hand as a writer - AVOID HYPERBOLE. Calling your first self-published novel a blockbuster new series or a bestseller (when it's not) just invites trouble.

Edit: Just to add, I think a lot of people have read about JK Rowling as the "single mum on the dole to millionaire best selling author" and missed a rather key point. Rowling was a bi-lingual secretary and researcher from Amnesty International before becoming a mum, before that she received and read for a BA in French and Classics at the University of Exeter. She has also discussed being a voracious reader as a teenager, which a degree in Classics would lead you to expect. Though I'm not a Harry Potter fan I do have a soft spot for Rowling because we are both ardent fans of Jessica Mitford, who was one hell of a woman, writer and rebel. I think many people make the mistake of thinking Rowling managed to become a best selling writer without any formal training or background in writing, and that is not the case.

Yes, I do have to agree. I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to read that, although I think it's a shame because I'm sure the author has something in his heart that he feels is important to say. All of the above is really good advice.

CommunicatorIC

Yes, I do have to agree. I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to read that, although I think it's a shame because I'm sure the author has something in his hAll of the above is really good advice.
Given the nature and purpose of this forum it is perhaps unfortunate that you could not give your advice in private, rather than post it in public. That is particularly true given there is no evidence that the purported recipient of your advice reads this forum or will otherwise receive it.

Mr. Barclay is a young author, and this is his first attempt. He is obviously learning his craft.

I will also note that he has written precisely one more book than I have. Or than many people have.

Please understand, I am not trying to "censor" you or tell you what to post. You have a perfect right to post what you did. As do I.

BunnySkull

Given the nature and purpose of this forum it is perhaps unfortunate that you could not give your advice in private, rather than post it in public. That is particularly true given there is no evidence that the purported recipient of your advice reads this forum or will otherwise receive it.

Mr. Barclay is a young author, and this is his first attempt. He is obviously learning his craft.

I will also note that he has written precisely one more book than I have. Or than many people have.

Please understand, I am not trying to "censor" you or tell you what to post. You have a perfect right to post what you did. As do I.

He's not 12 years old, he is a grown man who has put himself and his book out into the public domain. (With flowery press releases and strange claims of being an Amazon #1 best selling author, no less.) I have used velvet kids gloves compared to what any real editor, publisher, English teacher or critic would tell him.

If he really wants to be a writer, listening to much harsher, homest feedback and criticism is an absolute necessity. I think lauding and encouraging someone for subpar work is far more cruel than being honest and trying to offer constructive advice.

Reality will be a far crueler mistress than I could ever be.

CommunicatorIC

This is fantastic!! I just wish that I could get it via google books because I do not have a kindle.
I'm not Jason's agent or publicist (no, really I'm not), but you can read his book on Android, iOS, Widows Phone, Windows, OSX, and/or in a browser via free apps:

Start reading Unchosen: Rise of The Secret Wizard Societies instantly on the devices and free reading apps listed below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kindle.PNG
    Kindle.PNG
    150.7 KB · Views: 80

Purple Rain

Crusader

Well, he wrote on the Amazon site that he wanted to know how he could improve as a writer. I would love to see him succeed, but anyone encouraging him could at least have proofread the copy. I volunteer to at least try and correct the spelling mistakes, and he really does need help with grammar. I for one do not have his contact details to give him private advice, but if you started this thread just for ego stroking, then to be honest I think Bunnyskull has been kinder to him with her honesty than everyone who has humoured him to this point. I absolutely believe he should hold on to his dream and write his book, but this should be at best a first draft. I am really sorry that this is the truth, but people would have spared him a lot of embarrassment if they'd been honest way before it ever got to this point.

I wish the author only the best, and as I said I do believe he has a story inside him, but he needs more technique for it to be heard (the wall of text alone).

So do you want open, honest discussion or not on your thread?

Purple Rain

Crusader
He's not 12 years old, he is a grown man who has put himself and his book out into the public domain. (With flowery press releases and strange claims of being an Amazon #1 best selling author, no less.) I have used velvet kids gloves compared to what any real editor, publisher, English teacher or critic would tell him.

If he really wants to be a writer, listening to much harsher, homest feedback and criticism is an absolute necessity. I think lauding and encouraging someone for subpar work is far more cruel than being honest and trying to offer constructive advice.

I thought you were really helpful.

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
As a never-in I would think the announcement looks a lot like the way CO$ itself uses promotion. Something like ZOMG BESTSELLING AUTHOR.

Guess you can get someone out of the cult rather easy, but it takes a little more time to get the cult out of someone. :p

BunnySkull

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
BTW I thought the non-fiction autobiographies by Marc Headley and Jefferson Hawkins were very good for two non-professional writers. Their personal, conversational style of writing was engrossing. Rathbun would be on the other end of the spectrum, he needs to exorcise the Hubbard out of his writing.
True dat!

Well said!

Tough world out there for writers and wannabe writers.

Leland

Crusader
Just an aside....about this new medium....eBooks. (or iBooks for Apple) The entire book could be edited...and up loaded via computer. Of course it would not update those copies already sold...but it is incredible that mistakes or as stated, the entire book could be edited and or updated.....and be on line for sale world wide is incredible to me.

I'm writing an iBook now. Its not easy. That a writer can now put all kinds of things into a book, besides words....such as hot links, music clips, video clips, pictures and more....has made it more difficult for me.

These eBooks are truly a new concept in published works.

CommunicatorIC

Just an aside....about this new medium....eBooks. (or iBooks for Apple) The entire book could be edited...and up loaded via computer. Of course it would not update those copies already sold...but it is incredible that mistakes or as stated, the entire book could be edited and or updated.....and be on line for sale world wide is incredible to me.
Actually, with Kindle ebooks (I don't know about Nook, Apple iBooks, Kobo, Google Play books, etc.), if a book is updated and you already own it, you get a notice of the update and an opportunity to download the update free.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Jason reads ESMB.