What's new

Update on the Sydney Ideal Org situation

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
I thought it was about time for an update on this, I don't think its really been discussed since they moved out to the temp org, and now we have some more data and a clearer idea of whats going on. Also I really need to write down some stuff and gather my thoughts before I forget it all.

As you probably know, the Org at 201 Castlereagh st closed down and they moved into their new (temporary) building at 4 Hercules st Surry Hills around June.
Scientology has leased the building for a year in 2x6 month blocks for $390,000 (2022 sqm gross floorspace). This lease expires on the 14th of July, 2010.

Here is a pic for reference:
3914736254_0b4c84405f.jpg

Now whilst at the protest on Saturday I noticed this big sign on the side of the building:
3913943339_66fa1601b5.jpg

The building is being sold off for when Scientology leaves, and actually its already been sold before the auction. There's already some approved DA's for it, and its probably going to be turned into this commercial/retail thing:
5515589gl1237270732.jpg

Also after a little digging online I found some pics of the current interior of the org that may be of interest :

5515589al1250580959.jpg

5515589bl1250580959.jpg

5515589cl1250580960.jpg

5515589el1250582928.jpg

Relavent links:
http://www.dbproperty.com.au/property.php?id=1344
http://www.realcommercial.com.au/5515589
You can find floor plans, site surveys and more at these.

Anyway getting back on track to the Ideal org, what interested me about the sale and the data I found online about it was that Scientology now has a firm (?) deadline to be out of the building of the 14th of July 2010.

Of course the problem with this is that Scientology wont have a home then!

Quick history lesson on the state of Scientology's DA for the Ideal Org:
The final submission of the upgrade was lodged in November last year, after much revision and debate it was approved in June 2009.
Whats happened since then?
Nothing.
In fact in August they filed for a deferred commencement following even more revisions to the plan! They don't even have a construction permit yet, and as of Saturday when I walked past it the building is completely empty, boarded up and untouched. (save for the doors being covered with dianetics seminar posters)

Here is a pic:
3918442227_6b3d5de663.jpg

Now I'm no civil engineer, but I think the chance of completing their proposed upgrades (and they are quite major) in 10 months seems a pretty improbable task. I think they are going to try and throw even more money at it to try and expedite it, but I just don't see it happening in time. Plus I don't think they have the money to complete the upgrade anyway. According to my estimates from donation lists they have about $5Million in donations. I imagine they have been regging super hard in the last 6 months so you can probably bump that up another million. Still far short of the $12Mil needed, wheres the rest going to come from I wonder?
IAS going to bail them out? I doubt it very much, I've never seen Sydney listed as a 'IAS sponsored ideal org' in any publications, in fact I've hardly ever seen Sydney mentioned at all!

Also whilst at the protest I managed to snag a few pics of just what their upgrade is going to look like. They had some displays up in their foyer showing computer renders of what its supposedly going to look like.
Note the quality of these pics are pretty poor as I was shooting through glass from a distance (obviously they wont let me in to take pics). I'm pretty sure this is the first time these have been seen on the net though so its probably worth it.

3913976761_cb944488b9_o.jpg

This is the Cafe

3913976345_7c7001ddf3_o.jpg

This looks like a courseroom

3913976041_cb69526fd8_o.jpg

Reception area (cut off) and the display stands on the first floor (front groups etc)

3914759996_c634e951b5_o.jpg

This is their proposed exterior, if you're familiar with the current building you will know this is a fairly major face-lift. Actually I'm pretty sure most of this is NOT going to happen given the conditions of the DA and 201 being heritage listed. (one note: the tree outside has to stay and their awning can't interfere with it! :coolwink: )

3914759556_9127027489_o.jpg

The LRH office, lol

3913974809_e311b0e395_o.jpg

The Chapel, ughh

3914758960_bdf522eb5b_o.jpg

Not sure about this one

3914758728_e4aa77644c_o.jpg

An auditing room

Note this is pretty standard fair for Ideal Orgs, like most of the other Ideal's or major renovations around the world its just pretty computer graphics that DM is pumping out. Quite interesting none the less.
As you can see from the pics its a pretty major overhaul (and at a cost of $12 mil remember) and like most Scientology building projects its not going to get done in time.
Only in this case Scientology is pretty screwed because they cant stay longer in the temp Org!

For reference heres what a previous concept of the exterior looked like:
1zd11za.jpg

The green glass house thing on the top has since been scaled down to 2.5 floors.

I also found this weird flyer with a rendering of the ideal, not sure when or where it came from, but its definitely from quite a while back.
k189ll.jpg

Anyway this thread is getting pretty long and rambling, I think I've summed up most of the important new data here so now I will let others speculate on whats going to happen with the Ideal (and Scientology when their lease runs out!)

I think the next year is going to be very interesting for Scientology in Sydney :coolwink:

Last edited:
Well, when they have to move out of the temp place and they are waiting for the upgrade of that fucking old dump in Castlereagh st, they can use the new Auckland org which was bought for about 10 million god knows how long ago (1 year?) and is still empty.

Yes they would have to get there by boat. Mind you when it's time to get out of the syd temp org the Auckland org might still not be ready. Something about the foundations of that of stone historic building have to be fixed up first. I wonder how many more million that will take, that the international Assoc of Scicultist will have to pay seeing as the two hundred scicultists left in NZ don't have any dosh.

Nurse Pinch

Patron with Honors
When I first saw the bag full of money on the bottom picture, I thought it was a toilet. Would have made more sense if it was :whistling:

Pinchy.

Carmel

Crusader
Yeah, thanks Zhent, it's good to have the info. :thumbsup:

I gather that the 'stop' on the reno's at Castlereagh St, must be due to lack of approval from up lines (DM). Given that they got the Development Application approved, you'd think they'd be right in there with the Construction Certificate all but finalized and ready to go, but as the CC has to specify every little detail, which can't be changed, that's more than likely the hold up - Even when things weren't as nutty as they are now, it used to take an age to get approval on anything - I recall it taking an absolute age to get approval from up lines on the colour which we chose to paint the building in the early '90's.

How bizarre not having it all done, ready to go, and started in the shortest possible time. It's the public's money they're throwing down the girgler though, not theirs. That makes ya feel sick, but there ya go.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Zhent - great work.

Methinks the stop is that DM has spent the money already.:p

But the marks are being told something different to keep them paying up.

Just my two cents worth.:D

Mystic

Crusader
Most excellent OP Zhent. I think the situation scifaggOTry is in there in Sydney well represents a general over-all view of the entire cult status across the world, Masters of Footbulletry.

Wisened One

Crusader
Wow, great work gathering all that data, Zhent! :thumbsup:

And...when I saw that last promo piece, I want somebody to take that and make it say: 'Show Me The OT' then edit the following statements on it as well, THEN stand outside the temp (and new) places and hand THOSE out, :giggle:

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
I gather that the 'stop' on the reno's at Castlereagh St, must be due to lack of approval from up lines (DM). Given that they got the Development Application approved, you'd think they'd be right in there with the Construction Certificate all but finalized and ready to go, but as the CC has to specify every little detail, which can't be changed, that's more than likely the hold up - Even when things weren't as nutty as they are now, it used to take an age to get approval on anything - I recall it taking an absolute age to get approval from up lines on the colour which we chose to paint the building in the early '90's.

I was definitely thinking this. I cant remember which one it was, but in one of DM's long rambling speeches he was talking about the Ideal org project and how they are all going to '100% standard' and perfect right down to the last detail.
I think they are all being completely designed by some big architectural firm in America that DM was rambling on about (extolling its awesomeness without ever naming them or providing details). If this is the case then its no wonder things have been slow, trying to get the city council to liaise with the firm in America would be a nightmare I imagine. And of course there's the issue of 201 being heritage listed and subject to some stringent requirements regarding the refurbishment that I bet is infuriating Davey and his plans for 100% Ideal standards.

BTW: Scientology did manage to paint the building! They filed a DA in June after they leased the place to repaint the front facade and build new steps. When I was there on Saturday I did indeed notice they had finally completed the paint job!
The additional steps however, remain non-existent :lol:

Also I'm not sure if many of you may of heard, but Scientology did not file for a DA for the redevelopment/refurbishment of the temp org at 4 Hercules st!
All that work their 'volunteer tradies' did was quite illegal, I'm not sure if this was harpoon'd though...

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
And of course there's the issue of 201 being heritage listed and subject to some stringent requirements regarding the refurbishment that I bet is infuriating Davey and his plans for 100% Ideal standards.

You'd think after going through what COS went through with the HGB DM would know better than to buy another "historical" building.

:eyeroll:

Feral

Rogue male
Thanks Zhent!

It occurred to me that if they have committed to paying nearly $400K for the year in rent, that based on my experience with Syd Day and Syd F that they've paid nearly as much for a years rent than they can sell in service.

Forget about their other delivery costs, after paying int everything they'd 'earn' would go to the rent. Bad economic sense.

So we can now suppose that the rent was paid out from 'ideal org' proceeds, if this doesn't highlight that the ideal org plan is a ruse for DM to acquire real estate I don't know what does.

Paying the rent from ideal org reserves mantains the illusion of legitimacy which facilitates the fleecing of the flock.

We've applied for our ideal org monies to be repaid. I recommend others do the same.

Consumer affairs are taking the fight on our behalf should they not be forthcoming wth the money.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well done Zhent

Zhent, this was a great piece of work.

I will make it a priority to get a VM Jacket to you for all of your good work on this.

Kind regards
James

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Zhent!

It occurred to me that if they have committed to paying nearly $400K for the year in rent, that based on my experience with Syd Day and Syd F that they've paid nearly as much for a years rent than they can sell in service.

Forget about their other delivery costs, after paying int everything they'd 'earn' would go to the rent. Bad economic sense.

So we can now suppose that the rent was paid out from 'ideal org' proceeds, if this doesn't highlight that the ideal org plan is a ruse for DM to acquire real estate I don't know what does.

Paying the rent from ideal org reserves mantains the illusion of legitimacy which facilitates the fleecing of the flock.

We've applied for our ideal org monies to be repaid. I recommend others do the same.

Consumer affairs are taking the fight on our behalf should they not be forthcoming wth the money.

Count me in on the refund - will get a request off soonest.

I'm not too sure they're even getting in $400k per annum these days - I reckon it's a lot less and I'm wondering just where they'll move "temporarily" once this lease is up.

Will ask around and see what I can find out.:coolwink:

BTW OSA - you have NO idea who still talks to me these days.:D

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron

ORLY?

More info, please?

Sir Facer

Patron with Honors
Great update!

Thanks for the great update,

I walked past the Org on Monday and the Garage door was wide open and a truck was reversed into it, so I thought there may be some movement at the station, or maybe just a pick up of left over stuff needed.

I know that they have a rat problem and if they leave the building empty too long it will become infested with rats again. (The Org has had to keep a cat for some time as having a Cat on the premisses seemed to be the only handling to keep them away, so I cannot imagine the Org keeping a cat in an empty freezzing building), so the other thought I had was the truck was a pest exterminator, however I could not see the sides of the truck for any signage.

But please keep us updated as will I when I see anything happen.:thumbsup:

Shredder

Patron with Honors
Thanks Zhent, for all your work putting the pics together -
it's ironic that the place for the LRH bust is outside the toilets - and quite a healthy outlook by the staff considering that this would have been an approved layout plan - maybe an undercurrent seeping through?.

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
I gather that the 'stop' on the reno's at Castlereagh St, must be due to lack of approval from up lines (DM).

Great info Zhent. Thank you.

When we were suckered into donating to the ideal org fund in Adelaide, we were told by the estates people that the only companies that could work on the org would be those who had signed WISE agreements. Even then I thought that this was the absolute height of stupidity. I was a $cilon back then, with my own business and I wouldn't sign up with WISE; what hope for a non-$cn company??

Anyway, is this still the policy - does anyone know? Because if they want companies to sign those stupid bloody things, they are going to have a long wait, and they'll be doing their FP meetings with the homeless in Hyde Park before they have an org to move into. I'd love to see that.