What's new

Upstairs at the Org

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I still have that heavy green bitch.

I literally felt my heart sink the first time I looked at that thing. And the photos, if I recall, were supposedly taken by LRH himself. Oh, god ...

Also in 1985 I bought a used MK V meter from a sea org'er for $100. It literally took me months to get it from him after I gave him the money. I never did learn to use it. The last time I saw it it was in 6 pieces. All the sides just came apart. I don't know how. Maybe the marcabians came in one night while I was sleeping and smashed it?

If yours fell apart like that it probably was the marcabians. A friend of mine who got out of scn the same time I did (1981) recently gave me his old Mk V meter, which he hadn't used in 35 years. To my surprise it still works, though I did have to get some new leads for it (ebay).

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Or stupid ones. I remember seeing The Volunteer Minister's Handbook for the first time, and thinking "Oh no, this isn't good."
///

And the "What is Scientology?" book.

Even my devoted sleep deprived brain started to wonder "What the hell is going on at Gold?"

And the "Can We Ever Be Friends?" cassette. WTFIT? Who talks like that? This is going to handle all those pissed off parents of Sea Org members that haven't seen their kids in years? They'll freak!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I literally felt my heart sink the first time I looked at that thing. And the photos, if I recall, were supposedly taken by LRH himself. Oh, god ...

One of LRH's weaknesses, is that he didn't have anybody who would tell him he didn't bring god-like perfection to any activity he engaged in.

His photography sucked, his attempts at music sucked, and he wasn't a particularly good science fiction writer. But nobody would tell HIM that, without being instantaneously kicked out of Scientology.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of LRH's weaknesses, is that he didn't have anybody who would tell him he didn't bring god-like perfection to any activity he engaged in.

His photography sucked, his attempts at music sucked, and he wasn't a particularly good science fiction writer. But nobody would tell HIM that, without being instantaneously kicked out of Scientology.

You forgot his attempts at dental hygiene (if he made any), his attempts at fashion and his attempted political takeovers of developing countries. They all sucked.

But still, yes, you make a good point.

Jump

Operating teatime
You forgot his attempts at dental hygiene (if he made any), his attempts at fashion and his attempted political takeovers of developing countries. They all sucked.

But still, yes, you make a good point.

There would be quite a long list. Even his ecclesiastical spy wing's infiltration of the American government, the largest in US history sucked because it landed 11 of his top operatives including his wife, in jail.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
There would be quite a long list. Even his ecclesiastical spy wing's infiltration of the American government, the largest in US history sucked because it landed 11 of his top operatives including his wife, in jail.

LRH COULDN'T allow being criticized as being less than perfect at anything he did. If he admitted to making mistakes at anything, or was allowed to be criticized as being imperfect at ANYTHING, then it would lead to people thinking "Well, LRH makes mistakes with X, how can we really be sure he knows what he's talking about regarding Admin Tech?". And that would lead to "Well, how can we be sure that LRH knows what he's talking about regarding auditing tech?"

Jump

Operating teatime
LRH COULDN'T allow being criticized as being less than perfect at anything he did. If he admitted to making mistakes at anything, or was allowed to be criticized as being imperfect at ANYTHING, then it would lead to people thinking "Well, LRH makes mistakes with X, how can we really be sure he knows what he's talking about regarding Admin Tech?". And that would lead to "Well, how can we be sure that LRH knows what he's talking about regarding auditing tech?"

It would call into question the myriad statements of superlative hyperbolic greatness.

Mankind's greatest friend.
I am not from this planet.
I rose above the bank.
I taped the path.
Greatest discovery since fire.
The whole space opera palava.
Source.
Research.
Technology.
Science.
Total freedom.
Whole track.
Etc...

:duh:

Gib

Crusader

yep, and it even ties right into the PTS/SP tech, anybody who has critical thinking thoughts of scientology (critic).

Interestingly, yesterday I was searching about AE Van Vogt. Tony previously posted about an interview of Vogt by D.L. Dovel, Inspector

http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/19/when-the-feds-tracked-down-l-ron-hubbards-boast-about-getting-rich-by-creating-a-religion/

Vogt says at the end if you want to know Hubbard then read my book "The Violent Man". So I poke around and find this:

http://phinnweb.blogspot.com/2004/10/right-man-and-fear-of-losing-face.html

The Violent Man is The Right Man and does describe Hubbard.

he

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
yep, and it even ties right into the PTS/SP tech, anybody who has critical thinking thoughts of scientology (critic).

Interestingly, yesterday I was searching about AE Van Vogt. Tony previously posted about an interview of Vogt by D.L. Dovel, Inspector

http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/19/when-the-feds-tracked-down-l-ron-hubbards-boast-about-getting-rich-by-creating-a-religion/

Vogt says at the end if you want to know Hubbard then read my book "The Violent Man". So I poke around and find this:

http://phinnweb.blogspot.com/2004/10/right-man-and-fear-of-losing-face.html

The Violent Man is The Right Man and does describe Hubbard.

he

Harlan Ellison & Robin Williams discuss LRH
[video=youtube;O9AGVARpqdk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9AGVARpqdk[/video]

Harlan Ellison is a Science Fiction writer who ran around in the same circles as LRH and his SF writer friends.

Scientology is bullshit! Man, I was there the night L. Ron Hubbard invented it, for Christ's sakes! … We were sitting around one night... who else was there? Alfred Bester, and Cyril Kornbluth, and Lester del Rey, and Ron Hubbard, who was making a penny a word, and had been for years. And he said "This bullshit's got to stop!" He says, "I gotta get money." He says, "I want to get rich". And somebody said, "why don't you invent a new religion? They're always big." We were clowning! You know, "Become Elmer Gantry! You'll make a fortune!" He says, "I'm going to do it."
"The Real Harlan Ellison" in Wings (November-December 1978) p. 32

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
I forgot all about that until you mentioned it.

They stopped announcing 'years in' at the SO ceremonies in PAC some time in the early to mid 80s, even before the old tyrant died and the new tyrant took over. Two years and under were never announced while I was in, anyway. After that, they only announced years if someone got another rank or rating or award or something.

It was demoralizing! The last one I remember was when Jack and Irene Dirmann went to the stage to pick up yet anOTHER, higher rank each. Something like another rank of Lt. There were very few people left then who had been in over ten years and were still in the SO. I remember 9/10ths of the room had been in less than two years, so none of us were announced.

I had a :wtf: moment at the last one. Clearly there was an elite inner core who would always pick up medals and awards and ranks and things and the rest of us were just there as support slaves as we came and went and never to be noticed. Even if someone got 3rd Class Petty Officer rank, who cared? It still meant nothing.

Your post reminded me of a similar experience at flag. It was 1980 and we had some kind of all-hands muster in the grand ballroom and they did the "raise your hand if you've been in the SO for x years". Like you said, the vast majority of the room was in for less than a couple of years. When they got to 10 years, no hands raised. Then they asked any one OVER 10 years? One person stood up. Guess who it was....none other than Capt. Bill Robertson. He received some ribbon or plaque or whatever and lots of hoorays, etc.

And we all know how he ended up. LOL.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

There is something very liberating about being able to look back at this and say to yourself "Yes, I was a fool on a ship of fools" and then appreciate the sheer insanity of it all for what it was.

LRH wasn't just bad at what he did, he excelled at making mundane things ludicrous and asinine. It was all one big Snipe Hunt! Here snipe, here snipe, click, click, click......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
It would call into question the myriad statements of superlative hyperbolic greatness.

Mankind's greatest friend.
I am not from this planet.
I rose above the bank.
I taped the path.
Greatest discovery since fire.
The whole space opera palava.
Source.
Research.
Technology.
Science.
Total freedom.
Whole track.
Etc...

:duh:

OK. I'm still completely at a loss that when reading greatest discovery since fire " I didn't walk out the door right then & never look back !

dmsmh was only surpassed as really bad writing by BattleField Earth.

I still shudder every time I look back & see how extremely gullible I was !