Vale Allen Wright

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

- Omar Khayyám

There's nothing to delete, AnonyMary.

:thumbsup:

Love that poem! Thanks.

haiqu

Patron Meritorious
MysterySandwich,

You've captured Allen's sense of fun and humour perfectly. He was one of the most uptone guys I ever met and rarely showed more than a glimpse of negative emotion under the toughest conditions.

I was interested in this story because in 1973 I lived in Newland Street, Bondi Junction and know all those landmarks really well, even though I didn't get involved until 1975 after the org moved to Lee Street. This might also explain why Allen seemed so comfortable in the area when he moved into my flat off Bondi Road a few years later.

One amusing tale I recall was from when he was training as a Hard TRs super at Flag. Evidently there was a Mexican guy bullbaiting a black guy and getting nowhere. He started puckering up as if to give the black guy a kiss, and right then one of the students yelled out, "Hey look! The wetback's kissing the nigger!" At which point the black guy leapt vertically over the back of his seat with a horrified look on his face and made a bolt for the course room door.

Allen was so enamoured of the American negro culture that he recorded hours of black radio stations and played them when he returned. He also loved using the term "turkey" as a lighthearted insult.

MathNinja

I knew Allen well. He was the course supervisor when I was studying levels 0 - IV. He was always very upbeat. We had a common interest in hi-fi equipment and sometimes chat about his experiences with LRH. I got him to modify one of my e-meters and it worked beautifully. I will miss him.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I knew Allen back in the mid-70s in Sydney and also noted him on ESMB last year. A good man, a funny man. Mystery Sandwich encapsulates him perfectly. I'd only add that he was a perfectionist in the best way. I'm sorry he's gone. And wherever he is, maybe he can catch up with Mike Eves who I hope is in the same place -- an electronics and hi-fi super store with cooling breezes and cold beer, a spliff or two, good chocolate, great coffee and heaps of really cool and funky gizmo's.

Haiqu, what did he die of?

haiqu

Patron Meritorious
Hanni (his German wife) was too upset to tell me back in February, but word on the internet is that he had a melanoma that developed very rapidly.

just_someone

I have only just found out this news and feel so shocked and saddened. Allen will always be in our hearts.
Our tears are for his passing. Allen , so long.