What's new

Vanity Fair PR Flap BIG FLAP In Style with K.H.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
This is an OSA tactic. The maker of Ability Meters, living alone, in his eighties, gets OSA coming to his door screaming legal threats and reverse processes. They can't take him to court.

His " Crime"? Making better and cheaper meters than COS.

He still does. :)
What assholes! - Not that I'm surprised at all.. Excellent advice by Dulloldfart too... Tape 'em like their name was Cruise... Only, it should have been done without giving them a warning.

Pfft! - Those freaks would likely harras all makers of ohm-meters if they had the resources.

:grouch:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
The thing that struck me was the brief mention in the beginning of the article where she had said something that her friend thought was very bizarre - the anal sex comment -- this reminded me of what Pilot had talked about in his alledged implanting. Creepy.

Let's not A=A anal sex.

There is a whole tribe of people into it these days.

I've kept it simple with the body.

There are inflow channels and outflow channels.

What is inflow takes in.

What is outflow flows out.

I don't inflow in natural outflow channels.

That is like violating or over riding the bodies systems is more or less what my body has told me.

Seems pretty straight engineering.

I guess I have a natural talent for feng shui?

Now, a woman is magical in that her body has a channel that can inflow and outflow both.

She can take in a man and push out a baby.

This is magic. She can take in particle A, convert it to particle z and push it back out.

I'm sorry, that is fucking amazing.

Men seemed to be confused.

When they service a woman they are outflowing yet, seem to think they inflowed something.

"I got laid" "She put out" "I got a piece" are evidence of this think.

When a man makes love to a woman it is a total outflow for the man and an inflow for the woman.

So, the man is the one giving and the woman is the one taking.

Yet most men don't even get it.

They think they are getting something when they are giving.

Women know, but some of them act like this getting is actually an outflow or exchange when it is not.

I met the Pilot.

He was more feminine than me and that's a hard challenge.

He was definately in the wrong body for his character.

I can understand his considerations about anal sex.

He was obviously tortured by many possibilites.

Never heard the finality about his death.

Did you?

T.I.

Last edited:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
What assholes! - Not that I'm surprised at all.. Excellent advice by Dulloldfart too... Tape 'em like their name was Cruise... Only, it should have been done without giving them a warning.

Great advice!

Pfft! - Those freaks would likely harras all makers of ohm-meters if they had the resources.

:grouch:

To my knowledge everyone who builds meters has been harrassed and threatened with law suits - I have - Hank Levin has. :lol:

Terril park

Sponsor
Never heard the finality about his death.

Did you?

T.I.

I did, best it can be known.

The autopsy and police report indicated suicide. It was a copycat suicide,
if it was suicide, shown on Sopranos. His mother and a friend who we both know agreed with this. I read the police report though I don't seem to have it anymore.

He wrote a will one or two days before death.

Beyond that there may be speculation.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

if it was suicide, shown on Sopranos. His mother and a friend who we both know agreed with this. I read the police report though I don't seem to have it anymore.

Writing the will one or two days before his death sounds consistent with suicide.

Does his mother, or anyone close to him near the time of his death, believe that he was in a state of mind where suicide was a possibility?

Terril park

Sponsor
Writing the will one or two days before his death sounds consistent with suicide.

Does his mother, or anyone close to him near the time of his death, believe that he was in a state of mind where suicide was a possibility?

Despite my queries on this, they seem to agree re suicide.

I don't have any other data.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks.

T.I.

moontaco

Patron with Honors
I don't think that OSA thinks it's bad that people are afraid of them.. I got the impression of that kind of mindset when I was in the GO anyway. It was a 'good' thing to be intimidating and create fear.. It was called 'ethics presence', so as to not be recognised as old familiar Hells Angels and Mafia behavior.. Arhmm..

Speculating a bit.. Beck might be who made Duncan afraid. If Beck was in doubt.. Then he probably was very afraid and maybe told Duncan about CofS militant and psychotic behavior.. Fair Game.. Maybe even black magic.. OT's levitating your ass in strange places, or worse stuff. Beck may well have believed all that shit and convinced Duncan.

I've just been reading this thread and wanting to reply to a bunch of posts, so I've picked this one to keep things simple. (I've been posting about this on OCMB and ARS, so sorry if this is repetitive for any of you.)

SP, Beck wouldn't have had to convince Duncan that the Scientologists could be dangerous. For one thing, she was generally well informed about a wide range of paranoia-inducing subjects, but also, Jeremy Blake's stepfather had apparently tangled with the CoS before as a lawyer for the original CAN. I don't think how Duncan became fearful is particularly puzzling.

I've seen comments here along the lines of "nothing new here, slow news day," and I haven't seen anyone make the point of why the Vanity Fair article is so important (aside from the fact that it's a major magazine).

Prior to the VF article, various writers (even Theresa herself, if unintentionally, through her blog!) had done a pretty good job of convincing folks that this was simply a folie a deux, that Duncan and Blake were both delusional paranoiacs. I bought that argument because I couldn't see any reason why the CoS would have cared enough about Duncan and Blake to have bothered harassing them. As far as anyone seemed to know, Blake had simply done some artwork for one of Beck's albums. How could that provoke harassment? The Vanity Fair article fills in that gap with the details about how Theresa told people that Beck was going to be in her movie, that he wanted to escape from Scientology, etc. So whether the CoS was actually harassing Duncan and Blake or not, we now know the reason that the couple believe they were being harassed: They thought that Beck wanted to leave Scientology (which may or may not have been true), and they had a plan to help him do it. It's clear that at some point Beck decided to sever relations with them, and that probably made them fearful. Even if the CoS wasn't harassing them (again, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't), I can see how they could have pieced together random occurrences (e.g., a dead cat on their roof) to form a picture of CoS harassment.

Another thing that's important is that Beck denied, in a statement to Vanity Fair, that he had ever agreed to be in Duncan's movie. But after the VF article was published, it came to light that Beck had told an interviewer for an Italian newspaper, in August 2003, that he was going to be in a movie that was to start filming that fall. The film he described was certainly Duncan's film. So Becks own words in the Italian interview back up Duncan's version of events, not his.

One last thing that may be the most important of all: This story was all over a number of blogs, with headlines like "Artist Commits Suicide After Beck Backs Out of Movie," "Beck Suicide Scandal," "Beck Accused of Driving Wannabe Film Maker to Death," "Beck Tied to Double Suicide," and "Blood on Beck's Hands?" I personally think the headlines were outrageous and unfair, but they focused a lot of attention on the CoS, and I'm sure they got the CoS's attention.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
SP, Beck wouldn't have had to convince Duncan that the Scientologists could be dangerous. For one thing, she was generally well informed about a wide range of paranoia-inducing subjects, but also, Jeremy Blake's stepfather had apparently tangled with the CoS before as a lawyer for the original CAN. I don't think how Duncan became fearful is particularly puzzling.
Ah! - So we can imagine Blakes stepfather warning them off in no uncertain terms and striking fear in their hearts. This little bit of puzzle looks like a fit around here..

Actually I never doubted that Duncan knew all essentials about Scientology. Same for Beck. He's not 'in the dark' about much in this. 'Theta environment' at CC or no..

Beck denied, in a statement to Vanity Fair, that he had ever agreed to be in Duncan's movie. But after the VF article was published, it came to light that Beck had told an interviewer for an Italian newspaper, in August 2003, that he was going to be in a movie that was to start filming that fall. The film he described was certainly Duncan's film.
Thanks! :) - This was what nagged me at the base of my scull! - Beck is lying and it's documented beyond any reasonable doubt. There indeed WAS a movie project just like Duncan said!

Beck denying it has to be by order of OSA.. Beck forgot about the Italian interview and OSA failed to find it in files. Sloppy intelligence work and real shitty strategy there! - Whose ass in the RPF for that one?

:shithitfan:

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
restraint

I was busy blasting Greta Van Susteren the other day, because she is on Fox, and because she is a Clinton supporter, and I had just typed out stuff about her and John Coale helping the CofS get their 501C3 exemption, and realized it is data I got second hand and have not verified, so it is not defensible, so I edited it out. Probably that audience would not have cared about her Scn connections , anyway. I think what happens is these "journalists" have good lawyers and think they can smear peoples' names into the mud and tie them to horrible tragedies because they are Scientologists, and therefore vulnerable. It still bothers me. I still support freedom, of all kinds. It's still America.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
First I just want to ack your post T.I. about inflow and outflow. Interesting perspective, and beautifully writ. Funny, too. Dunno that I agree, but it was practically poetry.

Moontaco wrote:

Prior to the VF article, various writers (even Theresa herself, if unintentionally, through her blog!) had done a pretty good job of convincing folks that this was simply a folie a deux, that Duncan and Blake were both delusional paranoiacs. I bought that argument because I couldn't see any reason why the CoS would have cared enough about Duncan and Blake to have bothered harassing them. As far as anyone seemed to know, Blake had simply done some artwork for one of Beck's albums. How could that provoke harassment? The Vanity Fair article fills in that gap with the details about how Theresa told people that Beck was going to be in her movie, that he wanted to escape from Scientology, etc. So whether the CoS was actually harassing Duncan and Blake or not, we now know the reason that the couple believe they were being harassed: They thought that Beck wanted to leave Scientology (which may or may not have been true), and they had a plan to help him do it. It's clear that at some point Beck decided to sever relations with them, and that probably made them fearful. Even if the CoS wasn't harassing them (again, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't), I can see how they could have pieced together random occurrences (e.g., a dead cat on their roof) to form a picture of CoS harassment.

Thanks for all that info, Moon.

I remember reading about Beck being in her movie - can't recall where, but it's definitely googleable - way before this article came out (if this is the most recent V.F.).

I had no idea about the connection with Blake's father, though. (Clearly I'm a person who can't read everything about a "case," at least not on my schedule.) It was easy for me initially to have very strong doubts that CoS was involved in their deaths. It requires inside knowledge I just don't have, however much I've read re how they work and especially re Duncan and Blake's personal psyches and a possible folie a deux.

If it was a folie a deux, it would have been "working for them" well before they ever met Beck which is why, if it was suicide, and if they were seriously affected by this rare psychiatric disorder, Blake couldn't live without her. Reading the Vanity Fair article as "fact," I had an immediate sense of Sylvia Plath in Teresa Duncan, and I can't think offhand of a male counterpart for Jeremy Blake. The folie a deux suggestion could be a perception based on the V.F. writer's slant on their relationship for all I know.

Like some others, I find the absence of official reports interesting. Didn't Beck's mother blow from L.A. to New York in or around a year or so of these deaths? That was big news as I recall, though as far as I know that item didn't feature on the critic boards for long.

Like most criminals, Scientology will do anything to cover its tracks if it has any tracks to this sad loss of life. That much I do know.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
...Like most criminals, Scientology will do anything to cover its tracks if it has any tracks to this sad loss of life. That much I do know.
Actually criminals aren't good at covering their tracks. They even have a tendency to brag about the crimes quite often.. Which is of immense help for the police in grabbing 'em by the scruff..

Scientology and OSA could be seen as good, resourceful people who are not 'criminals', but who are in a state of war with society. This is what makes their criminal acts seem 'ok' in their own eyes and, unlike the pathological criminal, they do know how to cover their tracks and keep their mouths shut.

They are much more 'effective' than ordinary criminals.

This same 'effect' is seen with terrorist groups, who can run rings around national intelligence services.

This is why authorities and police better take something like OSA seriously. Indeed OSA plays the police like puppets.. They false reported to the Canadian Police about Keith Henson and had the police and courts there jumping the hoops for them. (Not the only instance of this!)

I can't imagine police and courts enjoying being played for the fool.. But they need to be made aware of it it seems...

:hattip:

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Schwimmy, I didn't say they succeeded in covering their tracks, just that, like all criminals and criminal organizations like themselves, they try, despite unconsious wishes, to not be discovered. Kay? :)

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Wups! And I didn't mean to 'correct' you in any way.. I meant to point out how fanatical groups are different from ordinary criminals.

Sorree! :duh:

moontaco

Patron with Honors
I remember reading about Beck being in her movie - can't recall where, but it's definitely googleable - way before this article came out (if this is the most recent V.F.).
It's the January 2008 issue--came out last month.

Back in 2003 I mentioned the movie role to a blogger named Emmanuelle Richard, with whom I'd corresponded before about Beck and Scientology. She wrote about it on her blog at the time, but I don't think it appeared anywhere else in the U.S. Then, when the VF story came out last month, both Emmanuelle and I (independently of one another!) remembered the story. She wrote me to ask for more details, which I gave her, and she was able to track the original article down at the paper (Corriere della Sera) and reported about it on her blog. All mentions I've seen of it have come, directly or indirectly, from her blog post.

I had no idea about the connection with Blake's father, though. (Clearly I'm a person who can't read everything about a "case," at least not on my schedule.)
I hadn't known that about Blake's father, either. To give credit where credit is due, Mary McConnell/Out of the Dark has mentioned it on ARS and also personally to me.

Like some others, I find the absence of official reports interesting. Didn't Beck's mother blow from L.A. to New York in or around a year or so of these deaths? That was big news as I recall, though as far as I know that item didn't feature on the critic boards for long.
Well, the time frame on Bibbe Hansen is pretty hazy. I believe she and her husband moved from L.A. to the East Coast in late 2004. From what I've read, Beck has been out of comm (so to speak) with his mom for several years (possibly since she left L.A.).

Jeremy worked on Beck's album cover in 2002. The interview where Beck mentioned the movie was August 2003. Even though the film was supposed to start production that fall, you know how these things go...I'm sure there were delays. Beck was apparently still friendly with Theresa and Jeremy until sometime in 2004. So his rift with them seems to have happened the same year Beck cut Bibbe off, but I don't know of a direct connection. Perhaps the CoS became aware of Blake and Duncan's suppressive influence on Beck and thus put heavy pressure on him to eliminate all suppression from his life?

moontaco

Patron with Honors
I think what happens is these "journalists" have good lawyers and think they can smear peoples' names into the mud and tie them to horrible tragedies because they are Scientologists, and therefore vulnerable. It still bothers me. I still support freedom, of all kinds. It's still America.
I agree that many journalists (and people who call themselves journalists) are careless with facts, but I don't agree that it's because we have good lawyers. Good lawyers will hound you to make sure you have documentation that will stand up in court if you are sued. I work for a major book publisher and I have seen this in action. I'm sure Vanity Fair's lawyers are just as rigorous. But the various blogs that ran items under tabloid-style headlines probably don't have that kind of legal vetting. And to be fair, their stories didn't really smear Beck, though I think their headlines did (mostly by innuendo). They were basically quoting a few facts and some speculation that had run in the New York Post, which reported on the Vanity Fair article. (Come to think of it, I'm sure the Post item is what got the attention of all the bloggers. So, not surprisingly, a tabloidesque newspaper got the ball rolling....)

And while it's true that many of these bloggers and/or their commenters made critical comments about Scientology, I don't think the accusatory reports were necessarily prompted by him being a Scientologist. These people like scandal of any kind. If they see something titillating or mysterious or shocking in a story, they'll run it, regardless of whether or not the person is a Scientologist. The fact that Scientologists make rather easy targets these days is still probably offset somewhat by people's fears of being sued by the CoS.