What's new

"Vengeance and Control": New LRH Documents online

OSAOPS

Patron with Honors
Wikipedia:

Dipsomania is a historical term describing a medical condition involving an uncontrollable craving for alcohol. In the 19th century, dipsomania was a variety of alcohol-related problems, most of which are known today as alcoholism. Dipsomania is occasionally still used to describe a particular condition of periodic, compulsive bouts of alcohol intake. The idea of dipsomania is important for its historical role in promoting a disease theory of chronic drunkenness. The word comes from Greek dipso ("δίψα"= thirst) and mania. It is still mentioned in the WHO ICD10 as an alternative description for alcohol dependence syndrome, episodic use F10.26 It's also a severe craving for any fluid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipsomania

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
What a guy Hubbard was! NOT!

Terrific find there. Wish we had Louise's response! Glad to see a new website up, and new docs, too :thumbsup:

BTW, I have a hard time reading the site due to the color scheme. Perhaps black lettering instead of white would make it easier on the eyes. You may want to consider asking others if they feel the same.

Best wishes,

Mary

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
<snip>
BTW, I have a hard time reading the site due to the color scheme. Perhaps black lettering instead of white would make it easier on the eyes. You may want to consider asking others if they feel the same.

You can change it to black-on-white but I forgot how I selected that option a long time ago.
Ask ethercat or one of the mods.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
What a guy Hubbard was! NOT!

Terrific find there. Wish we had Louise's response! Glad to see a new website up, and new docs, too :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Mary

Great suggestion, Mary! :thankyou: Despite eye glasses and excessive use of the browser zoom function, that site is completely undecipherable to me. Yes, my eyes are THAT bad. :)

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Text and links on the referral page have been reformatted for your reading pleasure.

www.meepthorp.com

:thankyou: Thanks for trying, but so far, no luck for me. :bigcry:

When I zoom into a website which has such a bad text/background contrast ratio until it becomes readable, I have to have a zoom ratio of 250 % or more, and then the site looks like this:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-29134826/MeepThorpScreenshot.gif.html

The problem probably comes from the site using fixed (as opposed to relative) field sizes and positions for its text fields.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Reformatted for clarity. Try again.

Still the same problem: Overlaying text elements. Re-formatting can not fix this issue, using a different browser probably won't either (SeaMonkey, and Mozilla are technically almost identical, since they both stem from the same code base, which is why all properly programmed Mozilla addons and plugins work perfectly with SeaMonkey), only writing proper HTML code would.

No screenshot this time, because it would be almost identical to the previous one.

ps:

Yeah, I know, writing proper HTML for a user-friendly website is a little harder than using one of these automated "Website-Builder" thingies, but if you want your site to gain some traction, I see no way around that.

OSAOPS

Patron with Honors
Large spikes in traffic and views overall, possibly a browser compatibility issue for some.

www.netrenderer.com indicates best compatibility with Internet Explorer versions 8, 9 or 10, reduced readability with IE versions 7 and below.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

I still can't read the lettering under the bolded categories. The color scheme along with the size type is too soft. Most will have to enlarge or squint in order to see. Specifically I cannot read the content below each of these.

CEREBRELICS

SECRET VAULTS

THE MASTERMIND

Suggestion:
Here is information about how backgrounds effect readability and go over poor color combinations and the effects they have on readers seeing what is on the page. They also provide a tool to demonstrate what color combinations work or don't work.
http://www.randomterrain.com/web-design-readability-and-backgrounds.html

OSAOPS

Patron with Honors
Until the site can be redesigned, best option is to download an updated browser for viewing content, consider firefox.com or others which are free and linked above in this thread.

AnonyMary

Until the site can be redesigned, best option is to download an updated browser for viewing content, consider firefox.com or others which are free and linked above in this thread.

I just made a suggestion for you. As for me, my browser is already updated, and is automatically updated as updates come out. I use Firefox. I refuse to use Internet Explorer.

As the page I linked suggests, if the page can't be read, it won't be read. It's too difficult for me to read beyond the larger type. I am not alone according to some comments here. The color scheme is too blended in light colors for me to read comfortably without strain. I read sites ever day and rarely, if ever, have a problem reading the content. When I do, the sites are usually older ones using older formatting that was available at the time. Things are different now. So many user friendly formats to and functions to choose from, including the popular wordpress.

I am not a designer but I do know that one can easily edit a page to change the type color. It's not a matter of a redesign. If the typeset is darker ( as in black type as opposed to the current white) it will be more readable and no one has to go to additional lengths to read it. If you want people to read it, you have to make it reader friendly or they will lose interest. The sooner the lettering color it's changed on what you have there, the less you have to go back and edit later. Again, this is just a suggestion.

Anonycat

Crusader
It looks fine to me. I have an updated version of Firefox. I don't know if it would look the same if I used an outdated version, but as it is, it looks fine.