Walter Kirn taken by a Con Man.. Sound familiar?

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Have a listen.. It's good to hear Kirn explain to Terry Gross how one gets taken in.. It really can happen to anyone! He doesn't use the term "confusion" but it sure sounds the same..

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/10/28858...als-secrets-of-a-murderous-master-manipulator

Let's say you meet a Rockefeller — Clark Rockefeller — and suddenly you have this connection to a world of wealth and privilege. Or so you think, because one day you find out he's an imposter. And not just an imposter — a murderer.

That's what happened to Walter Kirn, and Kirn's a smart guy — he's a journalist and the author of two novels that have been adapted into films, Up In The Air and Thumbsucker. How he was deceived, and what the consequences were, is the subject of Kirn's new memoir, Blood Will Out.

Blood Will Out
The True Story of A Murder, A Mystery, and A Masquerade
by Walter Kirn

Hardcover, 255 pages purchase
nonfiction
mysteries, thrillers & crime
More on this book:
NPR reviews, interviews and more
Read an excerpt
Clark Rockefeller was one of several identities assumed by Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, a German national. He murdered his landlady's son in 1985 and the bones of his victim were discovered in 1994.

Kirn met Rockefeller in 1998. He tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross, "He was beyond eccentric and he had refined his act with so many people that he knew that he could go right up to the brink — right up to the brink — of incoherence and absurdity. And he also knew that the closer he went to it, the harder he would be to figure out."

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

betskand

Patron with Honors
Have a listen.. It's good to hear Kirn explain to Terry Gross how one gets taken in.. It really can happen to anyone! He doesn't use the term "confusion" but it sure sounds the same..

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/10/28858...als-secrets-of-a-murderous-master-manipulator

Let's say you meet a Rockefeller — Clark Rockefeller — and suddenly you have this connection to a world of wealth and privilege. Or so you think, because one day you find out he's an imposter. And not just an imposter — a murderer.

That's what happened to Walter Kirn, and Kirn's a smart guy — he's a journalist and the author of two novels that have been adapted into films, Up In The Air and Thumbsucker. How he was deceived, and what the consequences were, is the subject of Kirn's new memoir, Blood Will Out.

Blood Will Out
The True Story of A Murder, A Mystery, and A Masquerade
by Walter Kirn

Hardcover, 255 pages purchase
nonfiction
mysteries, thrillers & crime
More on this book:
NPR reviews, interviews and more
Read an excerpt
Clark Rockefeller was one of several identities assumed by Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, a German national. He murdered his landlady's son in 1985 and the bones of his victim were discovered in 1994.

Kirn met Rockefeller in 1998. He tells Fresh Air's Terry Gross, "He was beyond eccentric and he had refined his act with so many people that he knew that he could go right up to the brink — right up to the brink — of incoherence and absurdity. And he also knew that the closer he went to it, the harder he would be to figure out."

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

It's interesting to me that you brought this up! About a year ago I read the first book, The Man in the Rockefeller Suit, about this guy. This was before his conviction for murder. But when I got interested in Scientology it frequently seemed to me that Elron's compulsive lying, his sense of justification in creating a fictional persona for himself, was made of similar problems. And as happened with LRH, Gerhartsreiter seemed to get away without anyone's checking on him...simply by dint of charisma, or the fact that people had invested money or time in him and didn't WANT to know that he was not was he said he was.

This was in spite of the fact that the Rockefeller family had been telling people for several years that they never heard of "Clark Rockefeller." All the guy had to do was walk into a private club in Boston, say he was a Rockefeller, and boom! he was a member! No checking! Well, the same thing happened all along the way with Elron. He said the most preposterous things and no one seemed to check...the very few who did seemed to excuse his lies because he was so entertaining.

I recently read that Jim Dincalci (think that was his name), a fervent supporter, was given a book to read by someone who had given the same book to the elderly Elron. Jim D. was surprised that a few nights later Elron started telling about one of his "past lives" and it was the story in the book! Apparently this little slip was not enough to make Jim D. lose faith.

This imposter phenomenon is not THAT rare, I'm sure...and I would be willing to bet that a lot of "charismatic cult leaders" have some aspects of the disorder.

Thanks, MissW, I think this is worth thinking about!

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is a really good interview! And my memory is so filled with things I've heard or read and can't remember where..but I have heard that story too about the past life you mention above.

I think this forum will enjoy listening to this interview.. Hubbard didn't have to be a murderer to make this story relate to him.

betskand

Patron with Honors
This is a really good interview! And my memory is so filled with things I've heard or read and can't remember where..but I have heard that story too about the past life you mention above.

I think this forum will enjoy listening to this interview.. Hubbard didn't have to be a murderer to make this story relate to him.

No...but it does show that people with this "disorder" or whatever you would call it will go to EXTREME lengths to protect their stories. And I think we can all agree that Hubbard did just that. Operation Snow White being just an example...