What's new

WAS HUBBARD A RACIST?

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
Was L.Ron Hubbard a racist? :ohmy:

Well, in the 30 year peoiod I was involved in the cult, most of that time in the UK, but having travelled to the USA, ANZO, Europe and Africa on behalf of the cult I can only remember three people who were not white.:unsure:

One was Benny Da Costa, an Indian from Goa who was our DTS. He was great, very full of life. He later left and set up a successful business.:thumbsup:

There was Eunice Ford who came from Washington DC Org at the behest of Hubbard. Some say that she was Hubbard's "bit on the side". She was a tall, elegant woman who was HCO Exec Sec WW. I am sure others can elaborate on that aspect.:duh:

The main person I mention was Lensworth Small. Lensworth came across from the West Indes in the 1950's on the Banana boat passage (literally). He worked by day in a factory, by night he was on the HPA Course and also studied law. He was a very spiritual person and had a lot of power. One evening on the HPA Course he suddenly stood up , pointed at the two nearest light bulbs and they exploded. :omg:

Lensworth was dedicated to Scn and Hubbard. He established his own law firm in South London and became an influential local figure, especially during the unsettled times in Brixton. :wink2:

Hubbard used to refer to lensworth as "My pet nigger". Any time there was a question raised about race or the lack of anyone other than white people the GO trotted Lensworth out to "Dead-agent" the story.

Lensworth was a fun guy and a true friend. He had a passion for philatelics, especially from the West Indes. He also liked to bet on the horses. I remember in 1966, a group of us had worked out the best way to pick a winner was to assess the runner's names on a meter until you came up with one horse. We all bet on it and guess what ? IT WON at 8/1.:hattip: :dance3:

The next week we all gathered again. This time there were several more joining in. The list was assessed and the horse picked. We all plunged on it.
Guess what ? IT LOST! There were heavy recriminations, accusations that the person assessing the list didn't know how to read the meter. It was crazy, but looking back, it served us right.! :roflmao: :roflmao: :hysterical:

Lensworth became more and more mired in the cult. He began to draw on the firm's funds to pay for Flag services and in the end got into so much trouble that he was "struck off" as a solicitor.

Demands were made by the Receivers in Bankruptcy that the cult repay end m onies paid across to Flag.

Lensworth was now "personna non gratia". He used to spend his days going to St Hill and sitting on the grass bank looking at the Castle. He died a broken old man.:bigcry: :no:

I would invite others to contribute their knowledge on this thread. :melodramatic:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The main person I mention was Lensworth Small. Lensworth came across from the West Indes in the 1950's on the Banana boat passage (literally). He worked by day in a factory, by night he was on the HPA Course and also studied law. He was a very spiritual person and had a lot of power. One evening on the HPA Course he suddenly stood up , pointed at the two nearest light bulbs and they exploded. :omg:

Lensworth was dedicated to Scn and Hubbard. He established his own law firm in South London and became an influential local figure, especially during the unsettled times in Brixton. :wink2:

Hubbard used to refer to lensworth as "My pet nigger". Any time there was a question raised about race or the lack of anyone other than white people the GO trotted Lensworth out to "Dead-agent" the story.

Lensworth was a fun guy and a true friend. He had a passion for philatelics, especially from the West Indes. He also liked to bet on the horses. I remember in 1966, a group of us had worked out the best way to pick a winner was to assess the runner's names on a meter until you came up with one horse. We all bet on it and guess what ? IT WON at 8/1.:hattip: :dance3:

I can't comment on Hubbard as he had just left when I arrived, but once again you stir my memories and I remember Lensworth! It's all very hazy...I remember a gentle and interesting man, and for some reason when I was in Brixton during the troubles, feeling safe with him walking through a very scary place at that time. (God knows why I was there, probably to show that Scn could save the world or something.) Thanks. :)

Perhaps someone could gather the racist comments LRH uttered?

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

snip

snip

I think Hubbard was a man of his times to some extent. Yes racist. As was common.

But I wanted to comment on something I notice, you frequently give examples of "paranormal" phenomenon in your posts, these happen in connection with scientology, yet you also make Hubbard, the force that motivated scientology, appear to be a fraud or less than honorable.

Hubbard was obviously a flawed man, as I believe we all are. But can we not give him his due for at least collecting all these interesting people around him and giving coherence to ideas that have value, if not correct source?

alex

Wisened One

Crusader
Huh. Come to think of it, there was only ONE black guy who was on lines at our Org (Miami, FLA).

He was a really nice guy, too.

Spoke with an English accent:)

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid

I would invite others to contribute their knowledge on this thread. :melodramatic:

Well, here is some data you can look over and decide if it is pertinent to the answer; it is a scanned letter, 16 pages. Read in numerical order.

LA SCN

Attachments

• Color0000.JPG
    Color0000.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Color0001.JPG
    Color0001.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 90
  • Color0002.JPG
    Color0002.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Color0003.JPG
    Color0003.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Color0004.JPG
    Color0004.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Color0005.JPG
    Color0005.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Color0006.JPG
    Color0006.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Color0007.JPG
    Color0007.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Color0008.JPG
    Color0008.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Color0009.JPG
    Color0009.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Color0010.JPG
    Color0010.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Color0011.JPG
    Color0011.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Color0012.JPG
    Color0012.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Color0013.JPG
    Color0013.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Color0014.JPG
    Color0014.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 58
  • Color0015.JPG
    Color0015.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 65

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think Hubbard was a man of his times to some extent. Yes racist. As was common.

But I wanted to comment on something I notice, you frequently give examples of "paranormal" phenomenon in your posts, these happen in connection with scientology, yet you also make Hubbard, the force that motivated scientology, appear to be a fraud or less than honorable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubbard was many people in one body. There was the public personna, the great thinker, the visionary who collected many strands together and called in Scientology.

Then there was the hidden side, the side that those of us who were up close who saw different aspects. These were not honourable, they were fraudulent.

Think of a swan gliding majestically along. That was the public side. Below the surface there was a lot of commotion and furious paddling to maintain the visual appearance.That was the hidden side.

Escalus

Patron Meritorious

Hubbard was obviously a flawed man, as I believe we all are. But can we not give him his due for at least collecting all these interesting people around him and giving coherence to ideas that have value, if not correct source?

alex

I lose patience with folks who tell me Hubbard found this incredible line to the ultimate truth, which apparently included being familiar with hundreds of different "races" through the course of his space opera, yet this didn't have any effect on him when it came to black people and his racism was due to the times he lived in.

What times? year 78887 in the Confederacy or 1953 on earth?

He wanted to have people believe he was creating a world without insanity but was merely the "man of his times". Which time was he a product of?

There is still an offer of a million dollars on the table for any Scientologist to pick up with ease through James Randi. if the "paranormal" claims made by any number of so-called "OTs" were real, why hasn't it been picked up in all these years?

My question would be, does too long an involvement with Scientology rot a person's ability to use critical logic?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

alex

Just because Ron put 'Mystery Sandwich' on His menu doesn't mean he had any to serve. Of course, those in the market for such might visit the restaurant though, and, even stay around for the coffee and ptomaine soup.

Zinj

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubbard was many people in one body. There was the public personna, the great thinker, the visionary who collected many strands together and called in Scientology.

Then there was the hidden side, the side that those of us who were up close who saw different aspects. These were not honourable, they were fraudulent.

Think of a swan gliding majestically along. That was the public side. Below the surface there was a lot of commotion and furious paddling to maintain the visual appearance.That was the hidden side.

Yes, well I am fine with him being like that. I am like that. (obviously not the same order of magnitude!)

I am having trouble figuring out what my question is to you. I am utterly fascinated by the paranormal tales. I like Hubbard despite his glaring flaws. I love your stories of your experiences of it all.

It bugs me that you dont seem to like him, although that is of course your right.

Perhaps his greatest ability was to be a magnet for things? People, ideas, action....and my fear is that your stories will somehow affect what was good in the telling of the bad?

So I guess I have no question, just musings.

Please continue!

alex

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
He was a pretty old fashioned, often hidebound guy. I mean look at the SHIT he wrote about women in Science of Survival.:omg:

yet he had oodles of female execs and CofS still does.

He also wrote some derogatory things about homosexuality yet I've been told he had many top advisors/execs around him who were gay.

So my conclusion is that like a lot of prejudiced people, he did, in fact, have mixed feelings about gays, blacks, Asians, women.

And you know what? All those constitute a huge percentage of all mankind.:duh:

Or should I say "personkind".:thumbsup:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tired. Scientology will take money from ANYONE, and so would Hubbard. If black people wanted to pay money to Hubbard, or to the Church, they'd be happy to have it.

Seriously.

Racism or not (and there certainly was some in the old man), it's about the Benjamins.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Maybe he'll leave CofS and not leave Scn. Ya never know, lionhearted one.

Quite honestly and after YEARS of doubt and thought and investigation and everything, I have no intention of leaving the church. It is highly likely that I will be expelled, but when I am I will still feel that I am a scientologist.

Perhaps in my next life I will adopt an identity that doesnt include scientology or the church. In fact likely.

I cant make it make sense to others, and only try when they are sincerely interested. Maybe I am being a rebel by being in.

If Lionheart wants to love me, he needs to love who I am, not what he wants me to be. And me, him, also on the same terms.

That simple profound concept could in itself be the basis of a religion.
:)

alex