What's new

Watch what's happened to Redwood City Mission in CA?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
One thing that people can do for the LOLs, is go to the official Scn org/mission locator, and just try calling a few.

See how many answer the phone at all, how many just have voicemail, how many answer the phone in the name of some other business. Wealthy Scientologists, at various times, have been pressured to buy Mission Starter Packages, and set up missions. Once started, they can get into trouble if they close up the mission, so you start seeing "zombie" missions, with an official space (which may be co-located with the Mission Holder's home or non-Scn business) but which no longer really delivers Scn.

UPDATE: my info regarding Scns being pushed to open missions was from the 1980s and 90s, I have no idea of the current scene.

Missions were a serious scam: the Mission Holder was personally liable for debts and expenses, but if the mission did well, was not allowed to take any money OUT of the mission. Ultimately, if the mission expanded well, it might be promoted into an org (and I doubt the Mission Holder got reimbursed for expenses at that point)

Last edited:
Everything you describe I've experienced first hand. Out of some kind of perverse curiosity, I've made a few phone calls to orgs in my area.

Getting affluent Scios to buy mission charters has always been a well used MO. I don't know what the average life span is, but I've seen my share of Missions disappear eventually. It seems virtually inevitable.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Up until the 1980's (and the Mission Holders Conference), there were a number of viable missions. It was a Darwinian process: mission holders who had some skill at running a mission had their missions expand, the ones who had no clue eventually folded.

Unfortunately for the successful mission holders, they (and their assets) became attractive targets for seizure by LRH and DM.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Well thank you so much Murray for a wonderful video and update thingy-thing: Also thankful for your use of some pleasant music, for some reason I now want to go boating :)

From all that I have read over the years on the cult's 'Missions', it does seem like just another way to get the CoS' sunk in a little deeper into the unwary participant's wallets and, fail or not, what ever monies are generated, as a matter of course, are funneled into the coffers O' Davey, never to be seen again. Also as a matter of course is that no matter what debts are incurred by the mission-holders, they, and whom-ever was unfortunate to get muddled up with them, are entirely to blame for 'not bringing it in' not matter the circumstances, not a dime of care/help will ever, from what I've come to understand, ever flow back down their stream of muck and corruption. It is like selling franchises to a really horrid restaurant, good luck on any support if things go sideways.
IMHO it is all part & parcel of another twisted aspect of LRon's long-con, hey, it doesn't cost the cult but a few pennies now-and-then, but the returns are fantastic, especially if the 'parishioners' funnel well-heeled suckers into grinders like Flag or some such, where the established Hubbard mechanization will gladly take over the milking machinery and thereby eliminated any middle-men's possibilities of financial gain from that particular source.
It seems ta me all so very, very sad.

I so royally miss our dear departed Denise B. who was so fabulous at peeling rotted onions such as this tentacle-o-scientology, not many old-timers had so much knowledge of how Hubbard's slippery slope functioned, especially how the cult has managed to evade closer scrutiny ~ :bigcry: And I miss Purple too, who hasn't haunted these parts for a while. *sigh*

Nm, me is blabbering on a fine sunny day, I go now.

:cheers: to one and all!

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Som of da bestest blatherring aroand. When u pause, take a little time, from walking thru all the crap of scientology, to wash the bottom of your soul. Some day when I see you on the path, I'll pass you a pair of platinummm rubber boots and give ya a HI 5. Keep on truk'in....:thumbsup:

Well thank you so much Murray for a wonderful video and update thingy-thing: Also thankful for your use of some pleasant music, for some reason I now want to go boating :)

From all that I have read over the years on the cult's 'Missions', it does seem like just another way to get the CoS' sunk in a little deeper into the unwary participant's wallets and, fail or not, what ever monies are generated, as a matter of course, are funneled into the coffers O' Davey, never to be seen again. Also as a matter of course is that no matter what debts are incurred by the mission-holders, they, and whom-ever was unfortunate to get muddled up with them, are entirely to blame for 'not bringing it in' not matter the circumstances, not a dime of care/help will ever, from what I've come to understand, ever flow back down their stream of muck and corruption. It is like selling franchises to a really horrid restaurant, good luck on any support if things go sideways.
IMHO it is all part & parcel of another twisted aspect of LRon's long-con, hey, it doesn't cost the cult but a few pennies now-and-then, but the returns are fantastic, especially if the 'parishioners' funnel well-heeled suckers into grinders like Flag or some such, where the established Hubbard mechanization will gladly take over the milking machinery and thereby eliminated any middle-men's possibilities of financial gain from that particular source.
It seems ta me all so very, very sad.

I so royally miss our dear departed Denise B. who was so fabulous at peeling rotted onions such as this tentacle-o-scientology, not many old-timers had so much knowledge of how Hubbard's slippery slope functioned, especially how the cult has managed to evade closer scrutiny ~ :bigcry: And I miss Purple too, who hasn't haunted these parts for a while. *sigh*

Nm, me is blabbering on a fine sunny day, I go now.

:cheers: to one and all!