What's new

What Attracted Me to Scientology

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Mike Rinder's Blog

What Attracted Me to Scientology

Saturday is Terra Cognita day! If religion was the opiate of the people as Marx and my parents used to tell me, how in the hell did the latter’s offspring get involved in Scientology? Religion…Or Not I didn’t know Scientology was a religion until well into my HQS course (Hubbard Qualified Scientologist course). And […]

Continue reading...

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Most people only ever tell the occasional little lie and that's what they assume other people do. So when you have someone like Hubbard who was capable of telling huge life-changing lies over and over again and even putting them in books then it is not surprising that some of us were hoodwinked.

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nothing "attracted me" to scientology per se.

What got me in to scientology was a gentleman who took an interest in me, as a person (or so I thought.)

I was a new arrival to California, 21 years old, with no support network. A lonely young man, 3 thousand miles from home and vulnerable.

I went to work for a business where I was a complete neophyte, and my boss seemed to care about his subordinates.
We seemed to have a shared background and he told me about these things called "conditions."

Here you are, no one knows what you are capable of. Maybe you are the best thing ever for this company, but no one knows this yet.

You are brand new, to us, we who have worked here for a while. Follow the steps and you will move from "non-existence" to another state and then move up from there...

This company had a policy of advancing pay at $0.25 per hour if you "earned" it.
What he told me (I followed his advice) allowed me to advance my pay ($.025) every month (otherwise unheard of at this company)
for several months. I got the opportunity to choose where, in the company, I wanted to work. I was on a roll!

He eventually asked me to take a "personality test" and have it gone over at his "church."

That was me, in scn.

Jack