What's new

What busy work do the staff do?

FascinatedNeverIn

Patron with Honors
A vein running through many commentaries is that staff are kept constantly busy, partly to keep them from thinking outside the scientology box.

Given that there are several thousand staff members in the various orgs, and supposedly fewer public day by day, as a never-in I find it difficult to visualise just what each staff member is doing from 8 until 12 every day of the week. I've never seen more than an oblique view of a 'day in the org'.

Millions of man hours per year MUST produce something tangible. If they're not giving auditing, and the vast majority aren't phoning the same few dozen or hundred members in their area, what are they doing all day? And to have so much work that they feel stressed...

The recent reports of orgs being empty, with staff seen doing nothing through windows, suggests some staff must get some time to think. Is it these public-facing members that tend to blow, or the ultra-stressed Sea Org that reach their limit?

Can anyone remember what each of the members in their old org did on any particular day?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
A vein running through many commentaries is that staff are kept constantly busy, partly to keep them from thinking outside the scientology box.

Given that there are several thousand staff members in the various orgs, and supposedly fewer public day by day, as a never-in I find it difficult to visualise just what each staff member is doing from 8 until 12 every day of the week. I've never seen more than an oblique view of a 'day in the org'.

Millions of man hours per year MUST produce something tangible. If they're not giving auditing, and the vast majority aren't phoning the same few dozen or hundred members in their area, what are they doing all day? And to have so much work that they feel stressed...

The recent reports of orgs being empty, with staff seen doing nothing through windows, suggests some staff must get some time to think. Is it these public-facing members that tend to blow, or the ultra-stressed Sea Org that reach their limit?

Can anyone remember what each of the members in their old org did on any particular day?

The less public there are to service the more likely it is that people will be phoning around, writing letters stuffing mags into envelopes and helping out getting bodies in the shop. They will be in low conditions so there will be write ups of all naughtinesses including time form place and event, there will be amends to do, scrubbing and cleaning usually, I would imagine after all that washing places will look awful, paint half scrubbed off or it will be redecorated every other month, one extreme or the other. There will be backlogs of admin to do, especially Central Files, even though there's plenty of staff to do it because of all the panic, people being removed from their post because of the low stats and no public it will be chaotic. I do hope people get time to look into space and think about they are doing there, and of course the end phenomenon would be to leave.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
In 23 years in the SO the only true busywork I recall is on the PAC RPF, when I was told to sweep the floor of the work site when I had nothing to do so as not to appear idle. It is legitimate to clear up, but this was over and above that.

Now, there were literally thousands of hours spent doing tasks that were basically non-productive, like writing letters to people who had moved 20 years ago and that data was lost in a filing backlog, but that is different.

Paul

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
The less public there are to service the more likely it is that people will be phoning around, writing letters stuffing mags into envelopes and helping out getting bodies in the shop. They will be in low conditions so there will be write ups of all naughtinesses including time form place and event, there will be amends to do, scrubbing and cleaning usually, I would imagine after all that washing places will look awful, paint half scrubbed off or it will be redecorated every other month, one extreme or the other. There will be backlogs of admin to do, especially Central Files, even though there's plenty of staff to do it because of all the panic, people being removed from their post because of the low stats and no public it will be chaotic. I do hope people get time to look into space and think about they are doing there, and of course the end phenomenon would be to leave.

Fact1: There's definitely a lack of toilet paper in the orgs.
Fact 2: Many people who leave don't even care anymore if the doorknob hits 'em in the ass.
Fact 3: Doorknobs need to be polished occasionally, because otherwise nobody would want to touch 'em.

Now draw your own conclusions.

MrN, awaiting Youtube videos of RPFers polishing all the doorknobs in their orgs. :biggrin:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Fact1: There's definitely a lack of toilet paper in the orgs.
Fact 2: Many people who leave don't even care anymore if the doorknob hits 'em in the ass.
Fact 3: Doorknobs need to be polished occasionally, because otherwise nobody would want to touch 'em.

Now draw your own conclusions.

MrN, awaiting Youtube videos of RPFers polishing all the doorknobs in their orgs. :biggrin:

I do have happy memories of finding a cigarette packet in a toilet and gently separating the silver foil from the paper so I could wipe. Usually there were some badly printed HCOBs or PLs, even ethics orders if you were lucky. I think the printer did them on purpose so we had something to use. They were most uncomfortable though. I will bear it in mind though if I ever do visit an org again to put on rubber gloves before entering a toilet.

guRl

Patron with Honors
I have to say, FascinatedNeverIn, I've often wondered about that myself, especially due to the fact that there are like a gazillion different posts in one Org (according to the Org Board).
It would seem as though each Org would constantly buzz with a lot of people being busy as fuck. In reality I would guess that there could be about 40 staff members if said Org is lucky, each of them manning three or four posts instead of one.
And from what I'm constantly hearing, nowadays each staffer has the following three posts: Call-in dude/Purif In-Charge/Floor sweeper.
Oh, and maybe some Auditors and some Flag network what's-their-names :biggrin:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I have to say, FascinatedNeverIn, I've often wondered about that myself, especially due to the fact that there are like a gazillion different posts in one Org (according to the Org Board).
It would seem as though each Org would constantly buzz with a lot of people being busy as fuck. In reality I would guess that there could be about 40 staff members if said Org is lucky, each of them manning three or four posts instead of one.
And from what I'm constantly hearing, nowadays each staffer has the following three posts: Call-in dude/Purif In-Charge/Floor sweeper.
Oh, and maybe some Auditors and some Flag network what's-their-names :biggrin:

You won't find many orgs with that many staff in UK or EU. Even in the eighties there were orgs with three staff. That was before pregnant sea orgers were being sent to man them up. It certainly would be interesting to see full time staff lists from UK and EU orgs as they are now.

Terril park

Sponsor
You won't find many orgs with that many staff in UK or EU. Even in the eighties there were orgs with three staff. That was before pregnant sea orgers were being sent to man them up. It certainly would be interesting to see full time staff lists from UK and EU orgs as they are now.

Abut a year ago I counted staff leaving or arriving at the time day staff
were supplanted by Foundation staff. One had 29 the other had 30. These
are not super accurate figures as some will stay later and some arrive earlier
but its a pretty good ball park figure. It also included public. Apparently they
could only man up day by bussing up people from St Hill I was told by a
then newly out staff member. London had pretty much double that in
early eighties when I was on staff.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

I have seen them stay up all night setting up the yellow VM tent for a grand opening of the idle morgue - which still sits vacant today....

Now they are re graded beings - redoing their purifs, objectives and selling MLM shit like wraps to melt fat and powders to build muscles - along with Team National memberships ....

I have seen them shine the door knobs, scrub floors with tooth brush, pick weeds, wash windows, clean, run around looking serious, pissed and busy most of the time...getting absolutely nothing done of any value.

One person went clear in 2013, one person was RECLEARED in 2014 and one person so far this year 1 went Clear on parents dime after working on Staff for 20 years - (parents are Veterinarians and pay for their housing, food, cloths and "bridge progress" - so much for getting the Bridge by serving on Staff..this idiot had his parents pay for it.

3 clears in 3 years and population of 5 million in our area:omg:

Cognitive dissonance in full bloom.

Can't figure out what keeps them in anymore:confused2:

It is dead in those Morgues.

Gib

Crusader

asian-girl-with-clipboard.jpg

images

woman-and-man-at-a-desk-with-clipboard.jpg

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Abut a year ago I counted staff leaving or arriving at the time day staff
were supplanted by Foundation staff. One had 29 the other had 30. These
are not super accurate figures as some will stay later and some arrive earlier
but its a pretty good ball park figure. It also included public. Apparently they
could only man up day by bussing up people from St Hill I was told by a
then newly out staff member. London had pretty much double that in
early eighties when I was on staff.

London day was about 70 staff in early seventies, much fewer on Fdn, then under Hoppy foundation boomed to be about the same, they're about half what they were.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
I do know I learned to never enter any org anywhere without my own supply of TP.

One way staff burned lots of time was looking for lost PC folders & re-arranging PC folders in archives. days & days could be burned looking for A folder !

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Speaking of TP, :overanalyser: - I remember the first time I went into the mission in our area, using the bathroom, and telling someone in charge, when I got out, that they were out of TP in the ladies restroom. I got a funny look, but didn't think too much about it. The 2nd time I used the restroom they were out again, and I mentioned it to someone when I came out . . . Another strange look. :unsure::confused2::wtf: I did not know until years later that this was the usual condition in the bathrooms - and I had a good laugh when I realized that. :laugh: Don't these folks ever poop? :horse::unsure::eyeroll::whistling: I guess it is okay to smell like encrusted crappola and stale urine but not 'roses' - :moon: :brow: What a bunch of whack-jobs - the biggest being lrh and dm - I mean, even an old phone book in there . . . . or corn husks . . . . would have helped . . . . :confused2: :runaway:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
When staff are underutilized that is when the ripoffs kick in. The hierarchy is one big self digesting organism. Without fresh recruits it cannibalizes itself quickly. You do want to at least look busy or somebody will tell you what to do and it could be far worse than cleaning windows with newspaper or writing letters to Addunk addresses in long dead CF folders.

Every mission or org has a level of seniority above it that is constantly looking for good talent. They may just order somebody to report, send them on mission, ask them to transfer openly or surreptitiously. The later is against policy but it never stopped anybody.

Recruit missions will cannibalize the best staff from missions and orgs and try to recruit the few remaining qualified paying public on course, staff will be shuffled internally to fill holes, people who were ordinarily not qualified for department or div head position will be Peter Principled up the org board. The creme de la creme goes to Int.

If you are unhappy where you are these transfers are a godsend and for everyone else who has to take up the slack its a nightmare and the ultimate demoralizer. Some people will be traded but you don't see quality people from higher orgs traded down - it is always the lower org that gets the rejects.

This all has the effect of concentrating reasonably competent people in upper management while concentrating the lesser qualified people in the service orgs that must generate the revenue to support a bloated management.

Must be busy! busy, busy, busy…….

Gib

Crusader
When staff are underutilized that is when the ripoffs kick in. The hierarchy is one big self digesting organism. Without fresh recruits it cannibalizes itself quickly. You do want to at least look busy or somebody will tell you what to do and it could be far worse than cleaning windows with newspaper or writing letters to Addunk addresses in long dead CF folders.

Every mission or org has a level of seniority above it that is constantly looking for good talent. They may just order somebody to report, send them on mission, ask them to transfer openly or surreptitiously. The later is against policy but it never stopped anybody.

Recruit missions will cannibalize the best staff from missions and orgs and try to recruit the few remaining qualified paying public on course, staff will be shuffled internally to fill holes, people who were ordinarily not qualified for department or div head position will be Peter Principled up the org board. The creme de la creme goes to Int.

If you are unhappy where you are these transfers are a godsend and for everyone else who has to take up the slack its a nightmare and the ultimate demoralizer. Some people will be traded but you don't see quality people from higher orgs traded down - it is always the lower org that gets the rejects.

This all has the effect of concentrating reasonably competent people in upper management while concentrating the lesser qualified people in the service orgs that must generate the revenue to support a bloated management.

Must be busy! busy, busy, busy…….

yah, back when I was staff, in the 1990's, we finally found a new staff member who came to the Jesus moment with scientology, we were all happy and hip hip. Only to find out out a few months later this new member was recruited to the SO because of a SO mission sent in.

Gawd, it sucked, and I hated when the SO Missionaries would arrive. Where's my middle finger at the time, but I couldn't do that.

How on earth could I man up the org, when every 3 months the SO peeps would show up to recruit my new staff member?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
yah, back when I was staff, in the 1990's, we finally found a new staff member who came to the Jesus moment with scientology, we were all happy and hip hip. Only to find out out a few months later this new member was recruited to the SO because of a SO mission sent in.

Gawd, it sucked, and I hated when the SO Missionaries would arrive. Where's my middle finger at the time, but I couldn't do that.

How on earth could I man up the org, when every 3 months the SO peeps would show up to recruit my new staff member?

Completely mercenary. One time I had an org's Executive Director screaming at me red in the face for trying to recruit some new kid. It was so intense I actually blacked out on my feet, like standing up too fast. I managed to stand there and look at him but it was all black, I could hear him but could not see his face 12 inches away and it took everything I had to keep from collapsing until I could fade back on screen. There was nothing I could do - it was orders from on high. He very thoughtfully apologized later but I felt so sorry for him. He was absolutely right. They were clearly struggling and had high hopes on this kid both as a paying customer and potential staff and we were running roughshod all over the place.

Crashed stats = SP
Crashed stats after recruitment mission = "Crickets,…. chirp, chirp"

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Completely mercenary. One time I had an org's Executive Director screaming at me red in the face for trying to recruit some new kid. It was so intense I actually blacked out on my feet, like standing up too fast. I managed to stand there and look at him but it was all black, I could hear him but could not see his face 12 inches away and it took everything I had to keep from collapsing until I could fade back on screen. There was nothing I could do - it was orders from on high. He very thoughtfully apologized later but I felt so sorry for him. He was absolutely right. They were clearly struggling and had high hopes on this kid both as a paying customer and potential staff and we were running roughshod all over the place.

Crashed stats = SP
Crashed stats after recruitment mission = "Crickets,…. chirp, chirp"

And the best bit is that it's all against policy. I'm sure Hubbard did it himself, especially to start the SO in the first place.

Ripping off org staff and public squeezing them for money they couldn't afford robotically following programs that have nothing to do with the org, killing off the missions, stat push after stat push, blindingly ugly screaming fits over phones, scn management destroys it's orgs. I'm surprised any still exist. Hopefully they won't soon.