What caused a statistically significant decline in traffic recently for ESMB ?

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
This thread is to observe and ask about in the opinions of everybody here one thing .
I have observed that over the last few months the amount of threads being put up , the number of posts and especially the number of members online and the number of guests have all declined remarkably.

Often now I find only one or two threads that are very active, while in the past it seemed like many more where busy . Is this in part due to the absence of polarizing figures who were banned or departed ? I know I have posted threads that easily got a few thousand views rapidly , but Commander Birdsong would be arguing back and forth with people ( including myself ) and it was a double edged sword for a blogger. I got lots of views but threads would be hopelessly derailed. So, a good sized audience that often included intelligent and well educated ( regarding Scientology ) and considerate members would add insightful comments and questions and disagreements and opinions.

Too many to try and re-list again as I have in the past have contributed tremendously to many threads . Over the last year at least three dozen people were great in my experience at looking at the threads here .

Now , the amount of threads seems to have dropped to almost none . It seems like many of the in depth discussions on Scientology related issues are dried up or gone . I should acknowledge Arnie Lerma Lermnet.com was banned and he was highly supported by some ( including myself ) , disliked or even hated by others and an object of interest by many . But , I think the bans on Arnie and CB do not account for the entire decline.

I feel this way because there have been many threads that neither of them posted on that were very active and popular , both in terms of posts and views . So , I feel there is a larger trend than the two bans could possibly entirely account for .

Do you guys agree with my observations ? Do you think anything constructive can be done to help ESMB ? Now to be clear I am not asking about revoking bans or trying to bring up the individuals banned to rehash why or who has extensive criticisms of them . Those horses are very dead now . And I am not interested in arguing about the character of those people or the merit of their bans .

I have made my opinions known before and now only even acknowledge this as it could be seen as a relevant issue relative to traffic on ESMB .

So, if there are any answers that do not turn into unneeded personal attacks I would like to see them .

Last edited:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: What Killed ESMB ?

I think you may need to provide some facts to support your argument.

When you say "Now, the amount of threads seems to have dropped to almost none", I have to say I don't understand what you mean. Every day when I log on I am faced with at least one full page of threads I can look at.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

This thread is to observe and ask about in the opinions of everybody here one thing . I have observed that over the last few months the amount of threads being put up , the number of posts and especially the number of members online and the number of guests have all declined remarkably.

Do you guys agree with my observations ? Do you think anything constructive can be done to help ESMB ? Now to be clear I am not asking about revoking bans or trying to bring up the individuals banned to rehash why or who has extensive criticisms of them . Those horses are very dead now . And I am not interested in arguing about the character of those people or the merit of their bans .

I have made my opinions known before and now only even acknowledge this as it could be seen as a relevant issue relative to traffic on ESMB. So, if there are any answers that do not turn into unneeded personal attacks I would like to see them .

Blame it on social media & the fact that there are multiple discussion groups (especially on Facebook) & elsewhere where critics post. I know of many exes that frequently post in the Facebook groups & not on ESMB.

That said, this is a very healthy & active board & I disagree with you that threads have "remarkably" declined.

Kauboi Junkie

Patron with Honors

All I know is that 33 years ago video killed the radio star.

Four years later Hubbard was dead.

Now ESMB.

Coincidence? I think not!! :omg:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

Meh - ESMB comes and goes. Always has, always will.

There'll be a shit-load of stuff that interests me one month and then stuff I can't be bothered looking at the next.

There's been drama about how ESMB's collapsed/changed irrevocably/been taken over by OSA/aliens/Freezoners/Martylovers/etc etc ad nauseum since I first joined and probably before then.

Don't read anything into it - there's nothing there.

My 2 cents worth.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Scientology is eating itself, and you think ESMB is having trouble?
Shirley you jest!

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron

If you think ESMB is dead, I help moderate a board which often has no new posts in a whole week from Monday through to Sunday. I'd say it's doing fine.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree there has been a drop off.

I looked at the numbers of members online and it is not what it used to be.

I think there are many reasons.

For one, Scn is more and more a dead subject. After Going Clear, which gave ESMB a bump, the activity has waned a lot.

Another reason may be that people are "graduating" faster from the whole "ex" experience and they just get on with their lives.

The ones that stay seem to mostly use the forum for social interaction.

The cult probably has a tighter grip on the few remaining people.

There is less new news about the few celebs....they've been pretty quiet lately. I bet if there is one new celeb that bails, you'll see activity here pick up substantially.

Despite all that, there are always WAY more guests online than members. So there's still a lot of lurkers.

Anyway, ESMB is not "dead" but it may be in hibernation for awhile, just waiting for the next big story.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

I think that reports of death are a little premature.

I think if you feel that people are not responding to your posts as much as they used to then you should look at the posts rather than think the board has depopulated. I personally find that your posts are usually very good points with a different view point but that I can never be bothered to read all the writing, I just loose interest. The paragraphs are big blocks of writing and it's rather daunting. Write what you need to say then re read it with the viewpoint of a reader, and then make changes to make it easier to read.

When there are thousands of visitors, here, it's usually when an important case is on, or a big juicy documentary is about to air, or some other expose has hit the media, or when the Debbie Cook email went viral. There are now some other very informative sites with the very latest news and investigations, and face book. Anons are busy with destroying Islamic State's internet campaign for new suicide bombers, as they should be. It's quieter than it was, but it's not dead.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious

This site will always have value as a living document, which people will continue to discover and use to understand the cult phenomena. Facebook doesn't offer the ease of use that threaded narratives present and has limited moderation tools.

Keep up the great work. I especially appreciate the pointers to relevant media that I don't typically follow. ESMB is the best example of what ScienCorp hates about the internet!

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

I agree with Scooter. ESMB ebbs and flows, and currently, there aren't as many hot topics as there were a year or two ago. That's why some lively off-topic threads sprung up recently. Blanky's Corner Pub and Cars, Bars and Guitars come to mind. I'm pretty certain that this board will become very lively as soon as a new, hot topic post in the News section comes up. Imagine a thread bringing the 1st verifiable news about "Tom Cruise left the building" or "Tax exemption revoked" - ESMB would be more lively than it ever was before.

ESMB may flow a little slower than before, but it certainly isn't dead.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

There'll be a shit-load of stuff that interests me one month and then stuff I can't be bothered looking at the next.

There's been drama about how ESMB's collapsed/changed irrevocably/been taken over by OSA/aliens/Freezoners/Martylovers/etc etc ad nauseum since I first joined and probably before then.

My 2 cents worth.
I agree. ESMB is for me and others a news site, among other things, and news is slow.

The last 12 months have had more game changing events, like the Rathbun case, that have never been seen before, so it is no surprise that this cannot be maintained.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

My 2 cents worth.
So we're up to the 5th invader force by now?

mockingbird

First off don't call me Shirley !!!!!!

Seriously , for weeks I have checked in and seen twenty to forty members online and two to three hundred guests when it seemed to be a lot more several months ago . And having many more eyes on the board and contributing made it easier to have more views and comments .

I have been looking for a while and this seems to be a significant trend . Certainly not only a product of my posts ( unless I've magically driven away people in droves).

I am curious what opinions others have on this . I have seen enough stats to be convinced there's a legitimate drop off.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

First off don't call me Shirley !!!!!!

Seriously , for weeks I have checked in and seen twenty to forty members online and two to three hundred guests when it seemed to be a lot more several months ago . And having many more eyes on the board and contributing made it easier to have more views and comments .

I have been looking for a while and this seems to be a significant trend . Certainly not only a product of my posts ( unless I've magically driven away people in droves).

I am curious what opinions others have on this . I have seen enough stats to be convinced there's a legitimate drop off.
Well for one thing half of OSA is probably on the RPF so that drives numbers down. :biggrin:

Below there are actual stats for the last 6 months. You'll noticed it peaked a few months ago, and it is similar to where it was 6 months ago. It is lower, yes, but it fluctuates.

Also, you've only been here a year. People like scooter, who have been here for ages have seen this before as have I. For you, the last 12 months are your standard, for old timers it was one of the biggest shit storms in ages.

I can bet there was a peak when the Mosey Rathbun case was in full swing months before that. You can bet that it will swell again when the Rathbun case progresses or concludes, when David Love has his next great victory, when John Travolta comes out of the closet, when Kirsty Alley has the inevitable cardiac arrest and so on.

People will come as they may and people will get banned. The show will go on. This is still one of the more active forums on the web and the most active forum on Scientology.

I stopped watching WWP a few years ago because they started to focus on Assange/Wiki SOPA etc and ESMB was a much better on the ground source for news about the cult. It still is.

Patience. There will be more shit storms.
zzz.png

Attachments

• CIMG0158.JPG
    CIMG0158.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 32

secretiveoldfag

Maybe the Mods could give an accurate report on viewing figures.

My own opinion (please don't ban me!) is that no-one should be banned for disagreeing, only for obscenity or similar; it disheartens all those left as it is generally people who post a lot and have their own firmly-held ideas, right or wrong, who are banned. They go off and run good blog sites and ESMB loses another few readers.

mockingbird

Hmm, maybe over more time it will even out . I enjoy it more when lots of folks are here and all kinds of Scientology related threads are booming personally. So, if every ESMBer can 5.4x his stats we can have a Saint Hill size or Ideal ESMB !!!

So , please recruit more exes and critics and under the radar folks .

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree. ESMB is for me and others a news site, among other things, and news is slow.

The last 12 months have had more game changing events, like the Rathbun case, that have never been seen before, so it is no surprise that this cannot be maintained.

News IS slow lately, after a period of more than usual news activity. Of course, I will bet a lot of us get their news from www.tonyortega.org more than ESMB, but this is a great place to discuss the news that does come out.

Hey, what if this is just.....wait for it.....

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM!!!!

(I like to think that, anyway.)

Last edited:

Kauboi Junkie

Patron with Honors

Well, Mr. Mockingbird I think the "death" of ESMB calls for a song:

Singing Bye Bye Message Board goodbye
Lerma is gone and it makes you cry
No one is left to give you your high fives
Oh that was the day that ESMB died
Yes that was the day that ESMB died......

(All kidding aside, it's clearly the Zionist's fault. Arnie and Mystic kept them in check. But now they're gone :melodramatic:)

LOL...