What's new

What is Disconnection really like?

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Ooohhh...:love2: yes he does love me very much, because I told him to lie to the MAA at CCI and tell her that he was disconnected from me and he refused to do that too...LOL!

-Why should I? he said, it is wrong; and he lost all his friends, he was very sad but he was proud of himself.:happydance:

Family is first.

That is why I did the videos and other stuff.

Diana

Your compassion is almost unbelievable.

Enjoy your Son and your scientology and making your videos ...

:yes:

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Here's the amazing thing (to me) about disconnection. I was more or less forced to disconnect from my supposedly SP family because they didn't like me being in Scn. So I disconnected, though not formally. After a while I reconnected through letters, and we were all much happier. But the amazing thing is, they didn't disconnect from ME -- when I got out, they were there, waiting, supportive, loving, and ever-true. One of the things that held me back from leaving earlier was the thought that I had harmed them so much they wouldn't want to know me. But they did. Their arms folded around me from the day I stepped off the plane. They gave me shelter, nourishment, love and financial support. It was around about then that I thought, hmmm, they're actually kinder and more forgiving than most of the Scnists who were toeing the party line when I was down and out. For a bunch of people who are saving the world, where was their compassion and practical assistance when things got tough for their mates? I was ashamed of the part that I personally played in Scn, in "putting ethics in on people" and holding the line. It's just another way of keeping your eyes and ears (and mouth) shut to what's really going on. People have said this before, but the so-called "w*g" world (I hate that word) is in almost every way more benign than the world in Scientology, IMHO. Thank god we're free.
Petey

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Here's the amazing thing (to me) about disconnection. I was more or less forced to disconnect from my supposedly SP family because they didn't like me being in Scn. So I disconnected, though not formally. After a while I reconnected through letters, and we were all much happier. But the amazing thing is, they didn't disconnect from ME -- when I got out, they were there, waiting, supportive, loving, and ever-true. One of the things that held me back from leaving earlier was the thought that I had harmed them so much they wouldn't want to know me. But they did. Their arms folded around me from the day I stepped off the plane. They gave me shelter, nourishment, love and financial support. It was around about then that I thought, hmmm, they're actually kinder and more forgiving than most of the Scnists who were toeing the party line when I was down and out. For a bunch of people who are saving the world, where was their compassion and practical assistance when things got tough for their mates? I was ashamed of the part that I personally played in Scn, in "putting ethics in on people" and holding the line. It's just another way of keeping your eyes and ears (and mouth) shut to what's really going on. People have said this before, but the so-called "w*g" world (I hate that word) is in almost every way more benign than the world in Scientology, IMHO. Thank god we're free.
Petey

I am so pleased that your family were there for you Petey ... as most families would be.

:happydance:

I AM A SCIENTOLOGIST .... hellooooooooo .... I see you there reading away and probably grinning from ear to ear at the whining SP's.

Enjoy it .. you have certainly done your bit to create it.

:eyeroll:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi, Petey,

That's because CofS contradicts itself at every turn.

They tell ppl to think for themselves, then they tell them what to do and how to think. They tell ppl that SPs are destructive sociopaths and that there aren't that many of them, relatively speaking. Then they define anyone who pisses them off as suppressive. They tell their members that they'd be better off working things out with family then they tell them to disconnect. They tell members that all the dynamics are important, then they proceed to damage anyone's interests in things pertaining to self, family, pets, other groups, etc.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Scientology policy of Disconnection is proof that Scientology does not work. If Scientology worked, there would be no need to Disconnect.

There certainly would be no need for more disconnection than there was 25 years ago, that's for damn sure.

I can't say how much ending disconnection has meant for me, but it's been huge, huge, huge.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thanks Voltaire and yes, I agree about the contradictions. It's amazing we stayed in so long. Reading posts on this board helps me to understand a bit more why we do, but I still scratch my head about it.
Petey

pittny12

Patron with Honors
Pittny this is exactly what I am talking about! Your post brought me to tears (and that is perfectly fin btw!) You say you were never even in scientology and yet it devastates your life. It is a silent pain not only of rejection without logic, and without a specific personal explanation other than "you are attacking my religion" that helps to ease it. You search for those reasons and it makes it worse if you blame yourself.

One point to note is that I don't think it is 'love' for scientology that makes this happen, it is fear. Fear of the most basic kind, that they will be eternally damned if they let it go. That is the lie that forms the glue and when you look at it that way then it can help a little.

The good news is that disconnected ones can and do return, and after a while of coming to terms with what happened to them they can be as appalled as we are at what they did. My way of dealing with it is to 'let it go', wish them well and know that in their hearts they DO know I/we are here when they will need us. I also want it known just how widespread the consequences of disconnection are, as many, many people can't speak of it for fear of further harm. :hug:

Thanks Free to Shine. I was so consoled to see your post about "Disconnection" because I am currently going through one of those "down periods" :hug: Reading others stories and sharing my own, I hope in some way will help me find better ways of dealing with my loss as well as understanding the "true purpose" of the disconnection policy. Unfortunately, the problem with disconnection and how it was done to me left me to question my own ability to judge people and one's character as well as it greatly affected my ability to trust. The saddest part of all this disconnection for me is that even if re-connection were able to happen the pain and distrust that I have now has ruined any possibility for a reunion and took my life and the life of my loved one and destroyed it all for the sake of some twisted and sadistic belief system of which I will never understand.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Thanks Voltaire and yes, I agree about the contradictions. It's amazing we stayed in so long. Reading posts on this board helps me to understand a bit more why we do, but I still scratch my head about it.
Petey

Why we stayed may vary from person to person but I believe the reasons, in some cases, may be or may include:

fear of losing salvation/tech, etc
Fear of enforced disconnection
the constant indoctrination and reinforcement of the indoctrination that:

CofS is the only group that's doing anything to save mankind (they play on your fears)

CofS is the only group that has the tech and without it, you'll be stuck in a dwindling spiral (see #1)

Critics and exes are liars, as are the media

If one only goes through channels, all injustices shall be resolved since CofS has a fantastic justice system

"We don't do that anymore" so the fault is with you, it's your overts and your mis u's that are causing you to find fault with CofS.

and maybe for some, there's fear of change...

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
Petey

That is the best. I love hearing this! You have a wonderful family! I am SOOOO happy for you!

Wisened One

Crusader
I walked my son down the aisle at his wedding a week ago or so.

I then had the pleasure of dancing with my son for the Mother-Son Dance.

I choked up at that point as I looked in his eyes...my heart swelling with so much pride and love. I blinked back happytears on sooo many levels!

I choked up because I realized that I was THERE WITH HIM and ENJOYING BEING WITH HIM ON THAT SPECIAL DAY...instead of doing Call-In or Bodyrouting or Book-Selling or Regging... which I would probably STILL be stupidly doing, if my hubby didn't help convince me to run away with him that night in 1995.....:bigcry: :cloud9: :biglove: :bigcry:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I walked my son down the aisle at his wedding a week ago or so.

I then had the pleasure of dancing with my son for the Mother-Son Dance.

I choked up at that point as I looked in his eyes...my heart swelling with so much pride and love. I blinked back happytears on sooo many levels!

I choked up because I realized that I was THERE WITH HIM and ENJOYING BEING WITH HIM ON THAT SPECIAL DAY...instead of doing Call-In or Bodyrouting or Book-Selling or Regging... which I would probably STILL be stupidly doing, if my hubby didn't help convince me to run away with him that night in 1995.....:bigcry: :cloud9: :biglove: :bigcry:

You are such a sweetie. I just love reading your posts. I'm so glad you are getting on with your life. :)

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
What does disconnection feel like?

Cancellations...authorship...I don't know. I just know disconnection.

It's auditing a pc who mourns for her father. And you wonder what this organization you belong to really is... (I was the auditor). It's trying to SOMEHOW work out a handle while doing PTS handlings (too many times to count when authorities were pushing for disconnection), because, again, you think it is somehow all off the rails.

It's going off your rocker...and receiving a letter from your son, but your other son grabs it from the post and won't let you see it. Hell, your ex-husband won't even let you see it, because they both feel it would shatter you so much that you would never return to sanity. Knowing that you received a letter of disconnection...knowing that because you were no longer in good standing with the church that the child you birthed, the child you once held, looks upon you as...... and you know it's your fault because YOU birthed him into this insane thing called Scientology, but you happened to wake up before he did. Hell, you can't fathom how evilly he conceives you to be... It's ice and daggers...and enough slaughter that you can no longer feel it. But, sometimes, the pain slips through, and you hope to hell one day it will all be over, and he, too, will see the lies.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron

It's auditing a pc who mourns for her father. And you wonder what this organization you belong to really is... (I was the auditor). It's trying to SOMEHOW work out a handle while doing PTS handlings (too many times to count when authorities were pushing for disconnection), because, again, you think it is somehow all off the rails.

It's going off your rocker...and receiving a letter from your son, but your other son grabs it from the post and won't let you see it. Hell, your ex-husband won't even let you see it, because they both feel it would shatter you so much that you would never return to sanity. Knowing that you received a letter of disconnection...knowing that because you were no longer in good standing with the church that the child you birthed, the child you once held looks upon you as...... and you know it's your fault because YOU birthed him into this insane thing called Scientology, but you happened to wake up before he did. Hell, you can't fathom how evilly he conceives you to be... It's ice and daggers...and enough slaughter that you can no longer feel it. But, sometimes, the pain slips through, and you hope to hell one day it will all be over, and he, too, will see the lies.

Wow you are good with words.

Wisened One

Crusader

It's going off your rocker...and receiving a letter from your son, but your other son grabs it from the post and won't let you see it. Hell, your ex-husband won't even let you see it, because they both feel it would shatter you so much that you would never return to sanity. Knowing that you received a letter of disconnection...knowing that because you were no longer in good standing with the church that the child you birthed, the child you once held, looks upon you as...... and you know it's your fault because YOU birthed him into this insane thing called Scientology, but you happened to wake up before he did. Hell, you can't fathom how evilly he conceives you to be... It's ice and daggers...and enough slaughter that you can no longer feel it. But, sometimes, the pain slips through, and you hope to hell one day it will all be over, and he, too, will see the lies.

:bigcry: :yes: :console: :sad: :no:

Mystic

Crusader
The Real Disconnection

"Disconnection" as practiced in the CoS is garden-variety evil and is representative of the fact scientology can't really handle anything.

The real disconnection is the individual's disconnection from any and all aspects of scientology and any and all ethics, tech or admin spews of L. Hubbard-thing.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Disconnection is about the most insidious and destructive thing that results from scientology.... a silent and malevolent force within a family or friends that demands continuing silence even if disconnection has happened.

Very few of us can speak out and name names and events or describe the feelings involved in other than very general terms, I know I can't. This is to protect those that are still bound in the cocoon of control, unable to see beyond it to the vast and obvious truths of life available to those of us outside it, and this is also a choice that demands a large price.

To be totally rejected as a person is a huge personal issue to handle, and for parents it is one of the ultimate challenges. Yes children can disappear into the sunset or choose to leave in other circumstances, scientology is not the only reason. It is however responsible for the most gut wrenching grief to too many, the silent cries of mothers and fathers who are denied access or contact with their children simply because they disagree and will not toe the line that scientology dictates. Thousands and thousands and thousands of us!

Oh my goodness, what courage it takes to stand in your own integrity and be punished for it, surely one of the hardest lessons life can give us. I know too many, those who can't post about it, who can't talk about it and have to bear this burden alone.

All I think we can do for the silent ones is to try and be there on an individual basis, to realise that the generalised comments on disconnection threads often hide a greater distress than is easily described.

For those who do Good Roads the situation is very similar. I did it for a decade until it became bile in my throat to utter the jargon that was the key to communication. Apparently. Of course it's not, how can you have a real relationship when that means you also have to accept the judgement of that family member because you have an illness or life event that makes you unworthy of "salvation" unless you pay through the nose for it and shut your mouth? How can you really even have a conversation when you mentally edit your words before they come out, or fear a confidence will be reported? Disconnection looms overhead all the time you try and be polite and not rock the boat, it's like an inevitable weight above your head to be dropped at the slighest misstep, ghastly stuff.

Disconnection IS policy of scientology and anyone who has ever had anything to do with the subject knows that, including the ex wives on CNN, the deluded bastards who spout the lies to the media, and each and every scientologist who fears to speak because of the consequences. Until the full extent of scientology's crimes is part of folklore, let's do our best to support the disconnected ones. If you know someone who is part of it, keep in touch, remind them they are not to blame and that we really, really need to be kind to ourselves.
:goodposting: THIS :goodposting:

free1996

Patron with Honors
You guys are a bunch of whiners. Disconnection was cancelled in 196x? Can't remember the year. You heard Tommy Davis. It's all about the people themselves, making a decision that has nothing to do with the Church.

I hope your joking? I can scan and post a disconnection letter I got from my mom that resulted in us not talking for the last 10 years. My sister didn't understand at first but then it was explained to her "that I know the tech, but I refuse to use it" showing them that I was not a Scientologist. 10 years later, my sister said "that their should never have been a disconnection as I wasn't even declared."
10 years of no letters, pictures, phone calls. Not there at high school graduation,not there for my wedding, not there for the first baby, not there when I had a stroke. And now too much time and pain has passed, that she's not here now. And the new excuse, we can't talk as I have a freeloaders debt....Scientology will always come up with a reason

pittny12

Patron with Honors
You guys are a bunch of whiners. Disconnection was cancelled in 196x? Can't remember the year. You heard Tommy Davis. It's all about the people themselves, making a decision that has nothing to do with the Church.

Maybe you should get a little taste of disconnection and then just maybe you will have the compassion and and soul to understand the pain that one endures because of it. Also, the church WAS involved and ordering my disconnection as they spoke on the behalf of my ex fiancee and I heard them coaching him in the background as he tried to handle me. I suppose it was also my ex's idea to force me to join staff and become a zombie of the cult of Scientology or our relationship was over when he never had tried to make me do that before in all the years we were together until he himself joined staff. You're clueless.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Maybe you should get a little taste of disconnection and then just maybe you will have the compassion and and soul to understand the pain that one endures because of it. Also, the church WAS involved and ordering my disconnection as they spoke on the behalf of my ex fiancee and I heard them coaching him in the background as he tried to handle me. I suppose it was also my ex's idea to force me to join staff and become a zombie of the cult of Scientology or our relationship was over when he never had tried to make me do that before in all the years we were together until he himself joined staff. You're clueless.

No, he isn't. He's experienced disconnection first hand and it's been a source of great personal travail for him. He was using irony. That might not translate well to fora, perhaps.