What's new

What is good about being out in the "Wog" World

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
I thought I would like to post something nice after the heaviness of the Sharone S. ban threads... whew!

When I was a child growing up in Scientology, up until I was twenty one, I had always been taught that the so called "Wog" world was a place that needed Clearing, and that we were the people to do it. That they needed saving in effect, and that it was not a good place to be. This meant that when I was thinking of leaving, I was absolutely terrified. It was David Gaiman who taught me to write a cheque at aged about 20, but until that point I hadn't a clue. I didn't know what it meant to own a bank account, deposit money, earn money, buy new clothes (when we were in the S.O. all our clothes came from jumble sales), drive or own my own car. So I started to reflect on all the plus points I found since leaving, and I have had an absolute blast:-

• :happydance:
I have had real jobs that pay real money
: I have learned to drive and own my own cars
: I have been to many countries, far and wide
: I have eaten in wonderful restaurants and tasted exotic and fabulous foods
: I have swum in oceans around the world, and tasted Arctic air and come close to Polar bears
: I have swum with dolphins and eaten lobster and oysters
: I have skiied in the Alps and eaten ripe French cheeses
: I have had Fondue in Austria
: I have had a Turkish massage in a Turkish bath (even though it nearly killed me)!
: I have met people from all walks of life from all around the globe and made some amazing friends
: I have had headaches and been allowed to take pain killers !!
: I have been drunk or giddy or tipsy and loved it and not felt guilty
: I have taken coffee breaks at work and not been scared about who is watching the clock behind me
: I have been able to lie in on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have breakfast in bed
: I have been to see Shakespeare in Stratford, and Anthony Hopkins at The National
: I have been to concerts and not had to worry about what time I got home
: I have been able to voice my opinion without fear of retribution
: I have had (and still do) been able to own my own pets/

What have your experiences been? :coolwink:

G

Gottabrain

Nice post! Nice list, too!

Here in WOG land, when I finished all my work early, sometimes my boss would let me leave early. Or I could just handle personal emails, play videogames or study.

:)

Bee Sting

Patron with Honors
I thought I would like to post something nice after the heaviness of the Sharone S. ban threads... whew!

When I was a child growing up in Scientology, up until I was twenty one, I had always been taught that the so called "Wog" world was a place that needed Clearing, and that we were the people to do it. That they needed saving in effect, and that it was not a good place to be. This meant that when I was thinking of leaving, I was absolutely terrified. It was David Gaiman who taught me to write a cheque at aged about 20, but until that point I hadn't a clue. I didn't know what it meant to own a bank account, deposit money, earn money, buy new clothes (when we were in the S.O. all our clothes came from jumble sales), drive or own my own car. So I started to reflect on all the plus points I found since leaving, and I have had an absolute blast:-

• :happydance:
I have had real jobs that pay real money
: I have learned to drive and own my own cars
: I have been to many countries, far and wide
: I have eaten in wonderful restaurants and tasted exotic and fabulous foods
: I have swum in oceans around the world, and tasted Arctic air and come close to Polar bears
: I have swum with dolphins and eaten lobster and oysters
: I have skiied in the Alps and eaten ripe French cheeses
: I have had Fondue in Austria
: I have had a Turkish massage in a Turkish bath (even though it nearly killed me)!
: I have met people from all walks of life from all around the globe and made some amazing friends
: I have had headaches and been allowed to take pain killers !!
: I have been drunk or giddy or tipsy and loved it and not felt guilty
: I have taken coffee breaks at work and not been scared about who is watching the clock behind me
: I have been able to lie in on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have breakfast in bed
: I have been to see Shakespeare in Stratford, and Anthony Hopkins at The National
: I have been to concerts and not had to worry about what time I got home
: I have been able to voice my opinion without fear of retribution
: I have had (and still do) been able to own my own pets/

What have your experiences been? :coolwink:

I now have TRUE freedom!

Freedom of to choose or not to choose
Freedom to grow and learn
Freedom to explore
Freedom to to live, to love, to laugh, to cry and know that it is all OK
Freedom without stupid ethics handling for things I am not responsible for in the first place
Freedom to know I am not responsible to carry the world on my shoulders
Freedom to know I can walk away from other people's issues
Freedom to know I can make mistakes and that half a million people around the world are just as human as I am and made the same mistakes ~ I am not alone!

Knowing others are entitled to the same freedoms I choose for myself
Knowing I have no right to impinge upon someone else in their life choices

Respecting others for the freedoms they choose for themselves

I have learned tolerance, acceptance and understanding to those whom may be or choose to be different from I.

There are many perspective from different points of views and the SCI-FI, LRH points of views isn't productive for all. There is no such thing to "get everyone aboard" for the purpose of saving mankind. The purppose to save mankind is the choice of an individual person to the allegiances he or she chooses and that by many "wogs" may not be the LRH's version to eternal salvation.

I love all the imperfections of myself, it makes me who I am, just the person I want to be. A person full of faults and imperfections. I am a "wog" but being a wog also means there's a lot to learn about everyone else and their perspective.

I can speak to whomever I choose to speak. I can watch any program on TV, I choose to watch and not feel guilty or evaluate, or criticize why the show is bad and why I shouldn't watch it.

Life outside Scientology is an education, an education about and of life.

Happy wogging! I sure am!

Honey Love,

Bee Sting

Caliwog

Patron Meritorious
What an amazing thread! I wish I had something to contribute but technically I have always been a wog. But I did have to conform to the Scn lifestyle at work, and that was a big part of my life. So I will try...

Here are some of the things I managed to talk about that surprised my Scientology friends and co-workers:

-- The fact that schools can't give kids medication without a huge pile of waivers
-- You can take a pill and your headache will go away
-- Sometimes a cold is just a cold
-- There is information in the Admin Tech that has a source other than Hubbard
-- You can say you don't believe in some aspect of your religion (or all of it, or even God), and your friends and family won't shun you

Things I enjoy doing as a WOG that my Scn friends and associates miss out on:

-- Doing a task for someone for free because it felt good, and not expecting "exchange"
-- Taking a day off, ignoring my job, and observing that the world does not end
-- Scratching my nose because it itches, not because I have an M.U.
-- Writing an advertisement that doesn't conform to Hubbard's stupid "seven points of an ad"
-- Judging things by their beauty, not by their stats or products
-- Going past words I don't understand (still a guilty pleasure after several years!)
-- Doing something wrong and not having to tell everybody
-- No fucking condition write-ups... what a waste of time that was!!!
-- Taking action without searching the green books to justify it

And my favorite...

-- Telling people that Scientology is a sham and Hubbard was full of crap!!

(I have holes in my tongue from all the times I wanted to say "Can't you see this is all a scam? Read the Marketing Series! It's ALL RIGHT HERE in front of you!!!")

Looking forward to hearing more, and let me say how glad I am that all of you are in the WOG world with me!!!

Much love (and I do mean that, fellow travelers),
Caliwog

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
$cn incorporated makes a lot of money. Corporations for which I've worked made and make a lot of money.

Cof$ ($cn incorporated) pays almost nothing. Way less than minimum wage almost always.

Corporations (and governmental employers, etc) pay at least minimum wage - often far more. A n00b entry level employee in most offices starts at least 3 or more bux above minimum wage, in most cases.

Cof$ gives no HR benefits. Or virtually none.

Corporations give (really give. Not just in a policy) vacation, sick time, holidays off, maternity/paternity leave, insurance, pays social security and workman's comp taxes. Sometimes 401ks and pension plans, even.

You can call in sick at a regular job without being put on a routing form. As long as you aren't in the military, you can just call in without being fucked with. Not so in Cof$.

In the outside world, if a company fucks up your order or something like that, they often refund you. Cof$- even when staff admit to screwing up- will never give you a penny without expelling you, harassing you. Never will you get a "oh, that's true. We fucked up your auditing, here's a refund". Instead, they may offer you auditing at review rates. That's the best you'll get out of 'em.

I know of people - married, too- who got in trouble with the cult for buying some -- fun accoutrements, let's just say. In the real world, who'd care? Even a real prudish type would be like, hey, they're married, so what?

If you're in college, say, taking night courses, you can be late or miss class or leave early without being sent to ethics. Not so in Cof$.

In the real world, you don't have the "not reporting PTSness is a crime" thing. Or disconnection/shunning. But you do in Cof$. So in the former you aren't constantly looking over your shoulder, unless you happen to live under Taliban rule.

In the real world, being a part time student doesn't mean coming in like 20 hours a week for one course.

In the real world, you don't have to CSW for everything...

This is fun!!!!

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
In the 16 years since I have been out, NO ONE has called me an asshole for catching the flu.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

I get to carry out random acts of kindness without ever worrying about whether I'm rewarding some no-case-gain degraded-being and, thus, bringing us all down.

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
-
-- Sometimes a cold is just a cold - hear hear!
--
-- Doing a task for someone for free because it felt good, and not expecting "exchange" - YES !!

-
-- Scratching my nose because it itches, not because I have an M.U. - I LOVE THIS! Made me laugh out loud!
--
-- Judging things by their beauty,- Totally agreenot by their stats or products
-- Going past words I don't understand (still a guilty pleasure after several years!) -I know exactly what you mean, although it has left me with a legacy of being very aware of words I don't understand
--
And my favorite...

-

Looking forward to hearing more, and let me say how glad I am that all of you are in the WOG world with me!!! - Ditto!

/QUOTE]

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin

I get to carry out random acts of kindness without ever worrying about whether I'm rewarding some no-case-gain degraded-being and, thus, bringing us all down.

This reminds me of a time that a friend and I went to see a movie in Leicester Square. There was a street guy on the pavement, dirty and smelly but quite uptone. My friend and I decided that rather than going into the movie we would sit and talk to the guy. My God what an amazing story. Sad that he ended up on the streets, but he was funny, witty and a brilliant story teller. He didn't beef about his fate and had had the most amazing life before. I remember thinking at the time how wrong the Scientology take was on these guys, and not at all compassionate.

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
In the 16 years since I have been out, NO ONE has called me an asshole for catching the flu.

In the 2 years I've been in the wog world I've only had maybe 2 colds, not even the flu. In the almost 2 years I was at Flag, just prior to that, I had the flu or bronchitis 11 times.

What's good about being in the wog world, apart from all the wonderful people I've met or reconnected with, working in a job I am truly passionate about, being able to tell others my opinions without fear of getting in trouble, taking pain killers, knowing I won't have to disconnect from anyone, etc?

I'M NOT "PTS" TO A CULT!!!!! :biggrin:

KissMyStats

Patron with Honors
If my kid is doing her homework and she's all bent over, but she's doing it and she's doing it correctly and finishes it, I don't run quick to get a demo kit for lack of mass. Sheeeeesh. :happydance:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I am having fun, I have a cold and head ache, I'm taking paracetamol and sleeping on and off all day. I know I'm not PTS or having a loss. I did too much and my normally overworking immune system let something through, now it's working on getting rid of it, just like it's supposed to. All I have to do is wait, no touch assists, no searching for evil SPs no figuring about what I've lost. Brilliant!

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am having fun, I have a cold and head ache, I'm taking paracetamol and sleeping on and off all day. I know I'm not PTS or having a loss. I did too much and my normally overworking immune system let something through, now it's working on getting rid of it, just like it's supposed to. All I have to do is wait, no touch assists, no searching for evil SPs no figuring about what I've lost. Brilliant!

Yup.

Then:
Monday.
I feel a cold coming on.
A senior comes by and asks what's going on.
I tell them I don't feel so good.
I am told that I am being case on post (loud enough for everyone to hear).
I am told to report to ethics (after post).
I go to ethics and wait for the EO to have time for me.
A couple hours later, I get to see the EO.
I get assigned a lower condition for being case on post.
We try (and fail) to find out who, or what is suppressing me.
I get an assist.
I go home and to bed.
I get up the next morning and feel worse because I haven't slept much.
Repeat until Saturday, when I can just sleep all day.
By Sunday, I feel a little better and by Monday I can Actually function.
Now:
Monday.
I feel a bad cold coming on.
I stay home, drink fluids, take cold medication and get lots of rest.
Tuesday.
I stay home, drink fluids, take cold medication and get lots of rest.
Wednesday.
I feel lots better and am once again ready to face the world.
Life is GOOD!

Caliwog

Patron Meritorious
If my kid is doing her homework and she's all bent over, but she's doing it and she's doing it correctly and finishes it, I don't run quick to get a demo kit for lack of mass. Sheeeeesh. :happydance:

Excellent!

How about teachers who are allowed to actually teach, instead of sending their students to a book for information?

How about classrooms where the students get to discuss and debate the high and low points of the materials?

Vittorio

Patron Meritorious
- Being able to realise that looking after the weak and needy is not a crime
-- Helping someone without exchange is OK and the actual exchange is a lot greater
--- Being able to go somewhere without a CSW
---- Not spending my whole life on a routing form
----- Being able to study materials and being able to compare and discuss the materials, what they mean, if they are useful, what the author was doing when he/she came to those conclusions. Being able to choose what is right for me.
------ Being able to have sexual partners of either sex. Yes, very important for me :coolwink:
------- Being able to travel the world and take holidays without having to find a work replacement.
-------- Being able to judge people on principles that I feel are noble, not a communisitic group principle and sense of 'ethics' that we are all forced to share.
--------- Playing the guitar. Never had time in Scientology.

Caliwog

Patron Meritorious
Helping someone without exchange is OK and the actual exchange is a lot greater

Love, love, LOVE that.

--- Being able to go somewhere without a CSW

One thing I do miss... writing purchase order CSWs that made it sound as if the entire world would end and Hubbard himself would tie a grey rag around the entire company if I didn't get my new external hard drive. In the wog world, they'd say I was being excessively dramatic; in the Scientology/WISE world, I was being "Standard." Boy, did I do my best to wreak havoc on FP!!!