What's new

What is OSA really like today?

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
My very first thought when I hear OSA is the break-in at Atty Ken Dandar's office (legal disclaimer: I am not saying OSA did it), dead, beloved pets, slashed tires, garage break-in's, poor scared kids getting home addresses while the adults wait & watch......

and Shawn Lonsdale.

I personally don't give a damn how "nice" they were as people to people who were in.

SS officers were also married Men with adored wives & children.

I guess a few paper-pushers make it all better, and help us to forget the LSD put in a pregnant woman's toothpaste? Or Miss Bloodybutt? Maybe the majority are not like that, but I don't know. And I am NOT willing to take that chance.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
All the same, it's good to know what it's like there, and what they're like. Demonization of SO, OSA, Int staff, etc can sometimes lead to demonization of any and all staff or any and all Scn'ists. Looking at the facts and factors isn't in and of itself excusing any illegal and immoral acts. Something like that would be a separate statement, as adjunct to the preceding, like:

XX Serial Killer had a bad childhood.

so

it wasn't his fault.

as opposed to

XX Serial Killer had a bad childhood
but he knew right from wrong and he knew what he was doing.

I'd rather get the whole picture.

klidov

All the same, it's good to know what it's like there, and what they're like. Demonization of SO, OSA, Int staff, etc can sometimes lead to demonization of any and all staff or any and all Scn'ists. Looking at the facts and factors isn't in and of itself excusing any illegal and immoral acts. Something like that would be a separate statement, as adjunct to the preceding, like:

XX Serial Killer had a bad childhood.

so

it wasn't his fault.

as opposed to

XX Serial Killer had a bad childhood
but he knew right from wrong and he knew what he was doing.

I'd rather get the whole picture.

I agree with you 100% Fluffy.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
The OP is very much correct BUT, being in OSA even for a short period of time I can tell you that it was the biggest "downer" org I'd even been in. And I was in quite a few different orgs.
It was very very serious and if you will "solid".
It's very easy for the average Sea Org member to get sucked into the wprld of hate.

Before the HGB days....
I was cpying some legal stuff for a court case when all broke loose. The CO was screaming at the top of his lungs at someone down by his office. The copier was all the way at the end of the hall neer the exit door.
Next thing I know I heard someone say " Every time I come here someone is being screamed at".
I turned to see that it was a "wog" repair man. How embarressing. I felt like crap that day. I couldn't defend him because the repair man was right.:duh:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
What I have seen, people that were on regular staff, go to the Guardians office (I guess the OSA ?!) Within 1 or 2 weeks they are totally different. Hard to talk to, secretive, reclusive to their own group, suspicious. These were terrific people befor they went there. I dont know what happened or why there was such a change in such a short time. I know one person who was approached by them to go into government for them I dont know why maybe to gather and plant information. Fortunately they said no and they left.

Your observations are accurate - "Hard to talk to, secretive, reclusive to their own group, suspicious".

They have to be to do what they do.

If your job is to detect any/all threats to the health & longevity of a group which you believed was the only group which held the "tools" to stop mankind going down the gurgler, then you have to adopt those characteristics. Just like an intelligence agent working for a government, they develop a heavy ego because they are one of the dudes protecting every God damn man, woman and child from the enemy. A sense of "without us the enemy could destroy the group". Same deal with OSA.

To do the jobs OSA personnel do, they have to develop a serious elitist attitude.

GreyLensman

What? What information did he tell you on that morning that "wog public" took years to get the same 'info"? I'd be interested to hear what "osa" thought

As for OSA "keeps up with those kinds of things" - huh? Since when? It isn't part of the policies - so how would they be doing this? Or did this person suddenly start revealing how it was all a 'plot' by the 12 international bankers?

I call bullshit. OSA isn't on any communication lines that make them privy to anything special. If anything they are clouded in viewing reality by myths connected with the "Twelve", and certainly by their own rules clouded by their own out-ethics. I truly loath that smug, I-can-see-the-truth-and-the-wog-world-can't valence. It's part of setting Scientologists apart and it's crap.

Dolphin

Well... what's OSA today?... the answer is not so straightforward.

First than all it's not a KGB-like department. There are no spies or anything like that. It occoured to me that occasionally some Private Eye get hired, but they are always external people.

OSA follows more or less the standard organigram of an Org. Seven divisions and all that.

Beside the usual suspects, like HCO, Treasury and Qual, responsible for recruiting, ethics, staff matters, money, auditing and training, there are other divisions around.

The division 4 is split in three, Div 4a (Investigation), Div 4b (legal department), and Div 4c (Public Relations). Many people working at Hollywood BLVD noticed each staff member not only wear a badge indicating the org (OSA or otherwise), but also the division. For PR reason the Div4a remained "OSA Div4a" on the badge. It would have left many Los Angeles tourists googled eyed seeing a badge stating "investigations" or something in that order.

Division 6 handles the Social Reforms (laws against the Co$), and includes the CCHR and all its ramifications.

Perhaps the most boring department, at least for me, was the 4b, legal, since not only they take care of the major court cases, but pretty much all the legal paperworks that enters the orgs. That could include even small fines for littering by spreading fliers, or threats to cut the electricity in an org if the bill was not paid on time.

Public Relations, handles, indeed, public relations. Their statistics include how much positive media they "reached", deducted by the amount of negative media someone else "generated". Each time someone publish something negative anywhere on a public media, it remains on their stats until "handled", which can be as easy as publish on the same paper a "rectification", down to discredit the source itself publicly. For the records the "Office of the President", is just part of this deparment at OSA Int. Hebert Jenzths (one day I will be able to spell his name), is just a OSA Int staff member under the CO OSA Int.

Investigation, Div 4a, is much less glamourous and more tedious than it seems. No operatives are openly sent out to collect data, although it might happen anyway by accident. All the data is collected by DSAs about all percived, real or probable, threats to the well-being of the Co$ in a particular area (or globally). The main stats are Threats-Predicted and Threats-Handled. The point system is very complex, and it was always subjected to revisions. The rationale behind the point system of those two stats is the severity of the threats, and the reach of the threats (local, regional, national or global).

With the advent of the Internet craze in mid 90s, those stats created an artificial internal stir: for example if the teenager Jo Blow sent a message to a newsgroup stating "LRH ate my balls", it would have counted as a Global Threat and would have even priority over a national court case in Germany. I guess they now fixed that, but that can explain their initial irrational behavior.

Attached to the OSA Operations there are several "All Clear Units", there used to be one in Italy handling a national court case lasted for a decade that initially shut down 10 centers. There are also, to my knowledge, two other all-clear units in Europe, one in Belgium and one in Germany. There could be more around.

An All-Clear Unit is formed to specifically address a national threat, such as the Belgian goverment not recognizing the Co$ as a cult, or the German banks who refuse to give loans to known scientologists, fearing they won't see the money back, since it happened before.

All-Clear units are formed mainly by non-sea org members but closely scrutinized by the national OSA office. All-Clear units have full support to do anything in their power to solve the local situation.

All the data is collected by OSA Int in a database, operated by INCOMM, called "mongo", which is accessible thru the terminals given the right username/password. It is based on a custom made Progress Database Engine, the standard Progress Database Software is not able to read it (I tried it :) ).

The main reason I joined this Blog is that I just discovered that Mike Rinder Blew! I am really wondering what happened there.

Vincent

Any other ex GO out there?

A fascinating subject - I had experience with David Gaiman, Mo Budlong, Herman Brendal, Jane Kember, Kevin Kember, Charles Parselle. Many secrets - covert operations. Real undercover stuff.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
A fascinating subject - I had experience with David Gaiman, Mo Budlong, Herman Brendal, Jane Kember, Kevin Kember, Charles Parselle. Many secrets - covert operations. Real undercover stuff.

Wow -- intriguing first post!! :welcome: to EMSB Vincent!!

Can't wait for more! (and no, I didn't experience the GO -- but many here did)

:)TL

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Spill the beans Vincent. Come on baby, if you're Ex-GO, let's hear some real dirt. That's what I want to hear; lots of f***ing dirt about scientology. First expose with what would p*** off scientology the most, then work down from there.

Last edited:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
I was with the Guardian's Office Europe, late 1979 until early '81. PR, some title AGPR PUBS, unsure about that.

Well, I wasn't there for long as you can see. Did staff training, was expediter. I was 3 months at GOWW StHill where I did the PR course and other stuff.

Got home again and blew the hell outta there.

& Welcome to ESMB!

:hattip:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Welcome Vincent.

A perfect name, and perfect entrance, for a spy....
WUT.. I'm an ignoramus.. But his name wasn't Bond.. Vincent Bond, was it?

Whatever.. I'm still waiting for someone to call himself Dirk Gently... Has to be someone who appreciates the holistic worldview and the fundamental interconnectedness of all things.

:yes:

Tim Skog

I was in the GO (PR) in LV literally for about a week and then was transferred to NY and was there from 1979 through 1983. The GO became DSA at my level in NY in 1983. I went to OSA US in 1984 and blew in 1986.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
WUT.. I'm an ignoramus.. But his name wasn't Bond.. Vincent Bond, was it?

Whatever.. I'm still waiting for someone to call himself Dirk Gently... Has to be someone who appreciates the holistic worldview and the fundamental interconnectedness of all things.

:yes:

another douglas adams fan!
:thumbsup:

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Looking for

Back in the mid 60s there was a guy working for GO in LA. His name is Terry Milner. Anyone know what happened to him or where he is.

Last edited: