What's new

What is the one information that would have gotten you out sooner?

Nicki

Patron with Honors
I guess we'll never be able to meet then. :no:

I wouldn't want to destroy your stable datum. :)

I rarely sneer at beautiful women. Although I've been known to direct disdain upon incitement at the odd loutish male. :coolwink:
Mark A. Baker

How do you know I'm a beautiful woman?
I could be a toad...ribit!
Mic Nic Mic Nac

Veda

Sponsor
In the 1970s, there appeared a collection of documents, obtained through the Freedom of Information act. It was called "The Shannon Biography."

http://www.xenu-directory.net/opinions/shannon.html

It was one of the first collections of documents, and was handed around, in a large yellow envelope. There was no Internet.

Around that same time, plans were being made, by Scientology, for an official "LRH biography." This was to be a large book, perhaps as large as a thousand pages.

A few years later, this '60 Minutes' program aired on American television.

Omar Garrison, who, initially, had been sympathetic towards Scientology, and had been hired by Scientology for various writing assignments, was given access to Hubbard's archives, in preparation for the proposed upcoming official biography. He became disillusioned and wanted out of the project.

At around 4:12 of this video, he's asked about Hubbard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Drk3eVQSg

If one cares to view the entire video, it's interesting that the arguments, by the Scientology "Hubbard fan(atic) club" PR folks, haven't changed much in all these years.

Nicki

Patron with Honors
Thanks......I appreciate the answer.
I'm checking it out.
Nic

In the 1970s, there appeared a collection of documents, obtained through the Freedom of Information act. It was called "The Shannon Biography."

http://www.xenu-directory.net/opinions/shannon.html

It was one of the first collections of documents, and was handed around, in a large yellow envelope. There was no Internet.

Around that same time, plans were being made, by Scientology, for an official "LRH biography." This was to be a large book, perhaps as large as a thousand pages.

A few years later, this '60 Minutes' program aired on American television.

Omar Garrison, who, initially, had been sympathetic towards Scientology, and had been hired by Scientology for various writing assignments, was given access to Hubbard's archives, in preparation for the proposed upcoming official biography. He became disillusioned and wanted out of the project.

At around 4:12 of this video, he's asked about Hubbard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Drk3eVQSg

If one cares to view the entire video, it's interesting that the arguments, by the Scientology "Hubbard fan(atic) club" PR folks, haven't changed much in all these years.

Carmel

Crusader
I don't believe that "information" alone, would be enough to get many out. "Information" alone, wasn't enough for many to let go of their hopes and dreams. However, a reality that one's hopes and dreams could or would not ever be, was and is something that will help get people to let go, and get out.

Whatever the scenario, for some it is a bloody tough one, but for some it's not so tough.

riptide

Patron with Honors
What is the one information that would have gotten you out sooner out of Scientology/out of the Church?

In other words: What was the missing information that kept you longer in than necessary?

I am talking here about concrete information (= something that you could hand out to somebody), not "experience on staff" or "experience with tech" or "well, the whole internet thing"...

I am not talking necessarily about what DID FINALLY GET you out. But what WOULD HAVE gotten you out if you WOULD HAVE KNOWN IT.

For me it was my last visit to the MAA's office. That did it. The data on the internet later on explained more background information as to why I came to my initial decision. The system ran it's course and I was more or less spit out the other end of the machine.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't believe that "information" alone, would be enough to get many out. "Information" alone, wasn't enough for many to let go of their hopes and dreams. However, a reality that one's hopes and dreams could or would not ever be, was and is something that will help get people to let go, and get out.

Whatever the scenario, for some it is a bloody tough one, but for some it's not so tough.

I guess it would depend on the information. A lot of people were appalled at the Xenu story and at finding out about the true doings of the cult and IIRC, this info did prompt some departures.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Ah, Nicki,

You haven't seen anything yet. Try leaving CofS, getting a declare, and then having people say that you didn't really leave and that it was all an op just because they didn't like what you were saying. Good times are in store! Whee!

Good twin

Floater
Ah, Nicki,

You haven't seen anything yet. Try leaving CofS, getting a declare, and then having people say that you didn't really leave and that it was all an op just because they didn't like what you were saying. Good times are in store! Whee!

Gee Fluffy. Maybe it doesn't have to be like that for Nicki, since you paved the way. :yes:

You are a true pioneer Fluffy, but you are not alone any more and it seems you will have lots of company very soon. The walls are crumbling. :yes:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi,

Hopefully, that is so. I think it would help if other forum contributors who feel suspicious of newbies - especially newbies with ties to CofS or Scn as a subject- would lighten up. Most people here are pretty cool about it but there are some people here who yell at such newbies because some of them (the forum regulars) are suspicious of the newbies. Well, yeah, there are ops but some people get too much into looking for it, sometimes.

Even if someone had more ties to the church than they were saying or had an agenda, still, a seed can be planted.

Good twin

Floater
Hi,

Hopefully, that is so. I think it would help if other forum contributors who feel suspicious of newbies - especially newbies with ties to CofS or Scn as a subject- would lighten up. Most people here are pretty cool about it but there are some people here who yell at such newbies because some of them (the forum regulars) are suspicious of the newbies. Well, yeah, there are ops but some people get too much into looking for it, sometimes.

Even if someone had more ties to the church than they were saying or had an agenda, still, a seed can be planted.

Yes, I have come to realize this is true. :thumbsup:

Hi,

:thumbsup: Truly!

The worst case scenario: OSA finds out what is happening on ESMB! Quelle Surpise!

If anyone violates Emma's rules she will take the appropriate action. Meanwhile we all benefit the fewer snide & demeaning mutual recriminations are posted to the board. :yes:

Mark A. Baker

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
When a newbie shows up declaring that he's Dick Cheney, don't be surprised if he doesn't get the 'benefit of the doubt' :)

Zinj

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Yeah, must be really hard for OSA to find out what's going on wrt ESMB. I mean, they actually have to turn on their computer and like read stuff and all. Wow, that's incredibly difficult to do. Yep, never could do that without sending someone in to talk to people.

In any event, again, I was annoyed by a couple of the previous posts in that I feel I can identify very strongly with OT8/still in-Chicago Kid- because I was still in CofS and posting at the beginning. So were other people. Tory Bezazian actually came in (to a.r.s.) on an op of some sort for OSA. So, to those of you to whom this applies, before you tell someone they shouldn't be posting here because they're still in CofS or you think they might be, you might want to keep this in mind.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
When a newbie shows up declaring that he's Dick Cheney, don't be surprised if he doesn't get the 'benefit of the doubt' :)

Zinj

Nobody needs anything from anyone. It's just asinine to tell a questing Scn'ist who writes critical commentary that they shouldn't be posting then to write posts elsewhere on the forum expressing the wish that Scn'ists read the internet, read critical materials, and to freely communicate with critics.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yeah, must be really hard for OSA to find out what's going on wrt ESMB. I mean, they actually have to turn on their computer and like read stuff and all. Wow, that's incredibly difficult to do. Yep, never could do that without sending someone in to talk to people.

It's actually not quite so easy as you might think, because there is a LOT to read on ESMB. And everyone who reads it is in danger of being turned to the dark side! It must give them nightmares, one way or another.

Paul

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It's actually not quite so easy as you might think, because there is a LOT to read on ESMB. And everyone who reads it is in danger of being turned to the dark side! It must give them nightmares, one way or another.

Paul

Sure. But I don't think that's a reason to tell Scn'ists who are posting here and who are trying to be critical of the cult- to leave ESMB.