What's new

What made me leave?

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks, Geir - your list helps those of us who are still trying to get those "in" to see.:thumbsup:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Conservative Koolaid?

As usual with Geir, there is always a *ho hum*
conservative flavor to his remix of the coolaid.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't worry about it. Many people find a stop in the FZ to be a useful 'halfway house', and still go on to make a full recovery from the Con of Ron, in the fullness of time.

Geir is out. That's the main thing, for now.

Feral

Rogue male
As usual with Geir, there is always a *ho hum*
conservative flavor to his remix of the coolaid.

I think it's a cultural thing or ethnics as a certain cult leader called it.

For instance Germans generally find me terribly rough and unpleasant, but I tend to get on well with Swedes and Fins, go figure! But if they don't like me, fuckem!

Gier's Norwegian, I don't know but my guess is they're pretty polite and conservative.

But like every thinking person who leaves the church his viewpoint is constantly developing and changing as he questions Hubbard' paradigm, I like the intelligent way he does it too.

He's thorough and smart so I'm waiting for what he ends up coming up with, it should be interesting. :)

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

For instance Germans generally find me terribly rough and unpleasant, but I tend to get on well with Swedes and Fins, go figure! But if they don't like me, fuckem!

Gier's Norwegian, I don't know but my guess is they're pretty polite and conservative.

But like every thinking person who leaves the church his viewpoint is constantly developing and changing as he questions Hubbard' paradigm, I like the intelligent way he does it too.

He's thorough and smart so I'm waiting for what he ends up coming up with, it should be interesting. :)

zackly right Kev. Very perceptive.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Krautfag

Patron Meritorious

^^ what was written by this unpleasant person

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I'm surprised the fact that he was unable to fly about the room shooting laser beams from his eyes wasn't an early indicator. I wonder if he can now . . . or whether even he has total, complete recall.

Isene

Patron with Honors
I'm surprised the fact that he was unable to fly about the room shooting laser beams from his eyes wasn't an early indicator. I wonder if he can now . . . or whether even he has total, complete recall.

He hasn't (and wasn't promised such either).

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It may or may not be of value, but at least it's a view of what swayed me.

Excellent article Geir......thanks for posting.

If many that left CoS similarly laid out those points which contributed to their leaving (as well as the points that didn't) as you did here it would be immensely valuble to anyone wanting to help others get out.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tusen Takk skal do har Geir!

Thousand thanks shall you have Geir.

I take it that your ranking of ESMB at +2 is accounted for by the fact that you "were already out" before you jumped into it later?

For my part, after 10 months out (in my heart) and 6 months posting here, ESMB ranks as a ++++ Infinity!

Thanks to all :)

Veda

Sponsor
Request for clarification.

The top point of your position on Scientology is:

"All the public works of L. Ron Hubbard freely available on the Internet."

Sounds like a good idea, but why not state, "All the works of..." instead of "all the public works of..." ?

Kindly define, "public."

Thanks.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

:)

:thumbsup:

Veda

Sponsor
Excellent article Geir......thanks for posting.

If many that left CoS similarly laid out those points which contributed to their leaving (as well as the points that didn't) as you did here it would be immensely valuble to anyone wanting to help others get out.

You mean with a scale attached which indicated +6, +3, +1, 0, -1, -2, etc. ?

Otherwise, there are many accounts of how and why individuals left Scientology.

People have been leaving the CofS since 1954 when Scientology was incorporated as a Church. Before that, people left Dianetics, some of the better remembered are J.A. Winter (who wrote the Introduction for 'DMSMH'), and John Campbell (who published the first article on Dianetics in his 'Astounding Science Fiction' magazine).

Then came the transition to Scientology, after Hubbard lost the rights to the name 'Dianetics', and decided to drive former business partner, supporter and benefactor, Don Purcell, bonkers by concocting - pretty much overnight - "Whole Track Maps," and then the book 'History of Man' ("This is a cold blooded and factual account of your last 60 trillion years.")

Richard DeMille, who wrote some pieces now attributed to Hubbard, left around 1953. There were many others.

In 1959, L. Ron Hubbard Jr. left.

Lots of people left in the early 1960s with the era of 'Sec Checking', deciding that any group that insists that its members undergo metered interrogation, with such questions as "Are you a pervert" or "Have you ever had any unkind thoughts about L. Ron Hubbard?" was not for them.

By 1965, Hubbard wrote 'Keeping Scientology Working', invented the SP Doctrine and SP Declares, Disconnection, the Fair Game Law, and the confidential, "deadly serious," and vital to your survival, history of the universe&your mind, and starting calling himself 'Source', and many more people left. Amongst them was the first person to have be a 'Doctor of Scientology' (the Class 12 of that day), Jack Horner.

In 1967 came the Sea Org and Xenu, and more left.

By the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Commodore and his ashtray-carrying 13 year old girl servants were a law unto themselves on the 'Flagship', the "safest and sanest place in the universe," and more left.

John McMaster, 'The World's First Real Clear' and the 'Pope' of Scientology, left.

Writer William Burroughs came along, was involved briefly, did the Clearing Course then, upon completion, when asked if he wished to sign up for OT2, said, "No thanks," and left.

Many others left.

Then came the RPF and the RPF's RPF, and more left.

By early 1977, Hubbard had written his "LSD, Years after they had Come of off' HCOB, in which he described people who had ever taken LSD as "zombies," and soon after told them that they were required to wear rubber suits and run around for hours, and more left.

Then, in July 1977 came the FBI raids, and two years later came the court-ordered release of thousands of pages of previously secret Scientology documents, including Hubbard's paranoid ramblings, and his super-secret spying and covert attack tech, and even more left.

Then Hubbard decided that almost everyone was "Clear" and needed to exit Missions (which he was in the early stage of looting), and go "up lines" and spend their money there, and more people left.

This was followed, a few years later, by Hubbard responding to the first Mission Holders Meeting by sending his #1 henchman, David Miscavige, to "handle" the second Mission Holders meeting, and more left.

Then, roughly around that time, came the partial unearthing of Hubbard's past by way of the "Shannon documents," obtained through the Freedom of Information act, and more left.

By July 1984, there was Gerry Armstrong vs. Church of Scientology, and the further unearthing of Hubbard's past, and even more left.

Then came books like 'Messiah or Madman?' and 'Barefaced Messiah', and many more left.

Then came the Internet.