What's new

What the hell did I get myself into?

Billy Blinder

Patron with Honors
Interesting. It looks like these guys started coming out with books on Positioning in the early 90s but we were required to study LRH policies on Positioning in the 70s so there must be an earlier reference. The use of space ships on their promo may predate positioning policies or R orders but I'm reasonably certain a positioning survey resulted in the Super Power Building and environs being given the namesake of the Islamic Holy of Holies.

That is one of the problems with positioning - it is counter intuitive to originality.

jeepers, you don't know and I now I have to cite the time frame and references, HCO PL's. I'll do it in a few days.

But, here you go as a primer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positioning_(marketing)

"Positioning was first introduced by Jack Trout in 1969 ("Industrial Marketing" Magazine- June/1969) and then popularized by Al Ries and Jack Trout in their bestselling book "Positioning - The Battle for Your Mind." (McGraw-Hill 1981)"

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
jeepers, you don't know and I now I have to cite the time frame and references, HCO PL's. I'll do it in a few days.

But, here you go as a primer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positioning_(marketing)

Thanks! LRH clearly was a fan. But I think the people doing the church's positioning surveys and the people who approve them focus mostly on Positioning Concept and quickie the Positioning Statement refinement stage. We want people to think fast when they think of auditing and training so we end up with rocket ships. We want people to identify the Super Power Building with the place where most religious people go every year, so end up with Mecca. Its amateur hour in product marketing.....for 40 years. Its ironic how Scientology comes out of the gate pushing individual creativity but the underlings can't be trusted with creativity so they must be constrained within the narrow confines of policy, personal R orders and robotic surveys. They do this for a project, get the positioning item and then toss it in a heap. Then a few years later another project without coordinating with the previous ones. After a while you get this really bizarre combination of yacht clubs, art deco, Islamic whatever, space opera, retro 70's blue, Nuremberg rallies and constantine wire.

Its Scientology sheik!

.......a Positioning Concept attempts to sell the benefits of the product or service to a potential buyer. The positioning concepts focus on the rational or emotional benefits that buyer will receive or feel by using the product/service. A successful positioning concept must be developed and qualified before a "positioning statement" can be created. The positioning concept is shared with the target audience for feedback and optimization; the Positioning Statement (as defined below) is a business person's articulation of the target audience qualified idea that would be used to develop a creative brief for an agency to develop advertising or a communications strategy. Differentiation in the context of business is what a company can hang its hat on that no other business can. For example, for some companies this is being the least expensive. Other companies credit themselves with being the first or the fastest. Whatever it is a business can use to stand out from the rest is called differentiation. Differentiation in today’s over-crowded marketplace is a business imperative, not only in terms of a company’s success, but also for its continuing survival.

Last edited:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
HH stated "The only thing Scientology fears is a courtroom".

That is true HH - however, I found a few other things Scientology Organization does not like - 1. THE MEDIA - threaten to go to the MEDIA to get them to stop calling or mailing or showing up. IT WORKS!! I recently took videos of the clams coming to my business - (told them I had hidden cameras) and told them if they came by again - I would send it to all local television news stations to report the harassment. I was removed from all call-in lists and have not received a drop of mail since.:yes::happydance:

I am writing up my HAT on HOW TO GET Scientologist's and Scientology OUT OF YOUR LIFE termidely! :wink2::coolwink::biggrin:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
HH stated "The only thing Scientology fears is a courtroom".

That is true HH - however, I found a few other things Scientology Organization does not like - 1. THE MEDIA - threaten to go to the MEDIA to get them to stop calling or mailing or showing up. IT WORKS!! I recently took videos of the clams coming to my business - (told them I had hidden cameras) and told them if they came by again - I would send it to all local television news stations to report the harassment. I was removed from all call-in lists and have not received a drop of mail since.:yes::happydance:

I am writing up my HAT on HOW TO GET Scientologist's and Scientology OUT OF YOUR LIFE termidely! :wink2::coolwink::biggrin:

We call that BPI (Broad Public Issue).

I understand that it isn't inforced by law - trust me this naive fog has lifted after this week of being harassed to join SO. What I mean is I signed all the papers, signed the contract, and my folder was given to the EPF I/C. I have nowhere to hide, they literally will be at my doorstep every day until I go with them. I've tried telling them to fuck off, but being a female in this position - i'm not that intimidating. My standing in the CoS is basically really fucking good. I'm sec cleared for everything up to RTC.

If they repeatedly show up at your door, or anywhere else and harass you, call the police! Send by certified mail a Cease and Desist letter! Get a restraining order! That's what they do. :biggrin:

Nobody can "force" you to go and serve anywhere you don't want to go. That's KIDNAPPING! I don't care what you signed or how "theta" you think you are! :no:

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
That's not the only book. The other book Hubbard mentions is contained in the Marketing & PR Series, known as this:<snip>
I'm talking about the late 60's. There was no Marketing & PR series then AFAIK, besides, I did not say it was the 'only book', I said it was 'just about the only book', which leaves a little bit of wriggle room.

I've read both
Good for you!

Maybe you have not read the PR & Marketing Series in Management Volumes 0-3?
Why the fuck would I want to do that, I'm a dilettante guitarist and computer programmer.

Scientology is the Battle for the mind thru marketing & PR, AKA Rhetoric, the 3 means of persuasion. oh, and also legal contracts.
Right, thank you for telling me that.

a short snip from the book summary:
You needn't have bothered on my account, I'm not remotely interested.

I'd say that is brainwashing, if you will. LOL
Whatever.

Last edited:

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
It would be funny, except they wouldn't let her close the door, once opened.

Unless she had a big guy with a baseball bat standing behind her to discourage any such thoughts.

Then again, she's only been in for a few months. You would think she would have some non-Scientology guy in her recent past who she could talk into hanging out at her place and telling unwelcome visitors to leave. Old boyfriend. Father or other male relative. Somebody.

Would they go if merely asked, do you think?

If memory serves, another poster here in the same position had a relative who happened to be a US Marine on leave at the time and persuaded the SO scammers it wasn't a good idea to stick around. Very convenient and it worked; the scammers never showed up again.

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime

If memory serves, another poster here in the same position had a relative who happened to be a US Marine on leave at the time and persuaded the SO scammers it wasn't a good idea to stick around. Very convenient and it worked; the scammers never showed up again.

A little reality check from a Marine trumps SO 'confront' any day of the week.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

Nobody wakes up one day and goes, "Hey, I want to be a Sea Org Recruiter!"

I get to dress up in a sailor costume with really cheap dress shoes and talk people into leaving their life and family for indentured servitude to save the world from the atomic bombs that were supposed to fall 30 years ago while making it sound fun.

They were tagged! They made the mistake of looking half respectable and got culled from the herd to attract more chattel. Behind every Recruiter is a big whip. This is a question of whose crack is louder - yours or their equally desperate Mission Ops? If they are still self aware then deep down they want you to make them go away so they don't have your recruitment on their conscience and if they have gone dark side then you're just grist for the mill.

Anything is possible. If you state your position resolutely is can all end right there but if they sense vacillation and the consequences of failure are grim then the nervous stress hormone perspiration takes hold of their thinning white shirts and its game-on!

Last edited:

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
Hoping wtf' poster updates this thread on whether or not the recruiters stopped showing up at her home, and/or was she forced to enact the "battle plan" to call the cops?

If y'all would like to know what I did - I printed out Marty rathburn, tony Ortega, and Paul haggis's face and posted them to my door. (Just kidding I wish I had done that) I didcall the police on one occasion - the non emergency line and by the time they did get there the recruiters were gone. I don't know if they still call my phone as i changed my phone number. I still get letters but I just send business reply response envelopes empty back as it charges the church. #truefreedom:coolwink:

JGB

Patron
So, I've only been in Scientology for a short time - literally like 2 1/2 months to 3. I was beginning to really enjoy it - I had joined staff, made tons of friends. Was considered super theta and making great progress. I guess the first mistake I made was signing the billion year contact, 3 days in to scientology - I was willing to see myself in the Sea Org, but, let me get more training and knowledge of the religion first. Now, I'm basically routed on to the EPF, I've said no multiple times. I have nowhere to hide, the recruiters literally show up everywhere I do. I've been told me saying No is Q & Aing, this is my purpose to help 7.1 billion people. LIKE WTF DID I GET MYSELF INTO? help? How do I escape the recruiters? They know where I live, ect.

Tell those idiots you are disqualified to be in the Sea Org because you have taken LSD! Or you can tell them you're gay and you would love making your bed with the midget's wife! :))

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
If y'all would like to know what I did - I printed out Marty rathburn, tony Ortega, and Paul haggis's face and posted them to my door. (Just kidding I wish I had done that) I didcall the police on one occasion - the non emergency line and by the time they did get there the recruiters were gone. I don't know if they still call my phone as i changed my phone number. I still get letters but I just send business reply response envelopes empty back as it charges the church. #truefreedom:coolwink:

Sharpie tech: when you send back the postage paid stuff, write 1-888-XSEAORG and a message that it's a free call and there is hope. Or something like that.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
You don't have to be intimidating: you just have to say NO and MEAN IT. What if they were asking you if they could assfuck you, and "wouldn't give in"? Would you relent because you got tired of saying no? Believe me, a life in the Sea Org these days -- ESPECIALLY at RTC -- is worse than being assfucked.

If you want to do the intimidation thing, surely you have some male friends or relations who could scare the shit out of them?

The biggest problem as I see it is you wanting to remain in good standing with them. Is that true? If you want to play nice you will end up in the EPF and it will go on being hell for you until you get out of there, months or years later. Then you will be in bad standing AND have tens of thousands in a freeloader debt to pay off: again that's only bad if you want to try and play nice with them. If you don't care what they think you can simply tell them to fuck off, like many people here on ESMB.

Paul

^^True dat ! ^^

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
The only way to get the bastards out of your life is to convince them you are far more trouble - insanity - than they want to deal with.

Tell 'em you are gay. Tell 'em you like group sex. ( nothing wrong with either but they are bonkers on any sex ).
Tell 'em you compulsively masturbate. When they show up put you hand on your crotch ( you get the idea )

Now some people have trouble getting the police to show up. Try this. call 911 & tell them " strange people in weird uniforms are in your yard & ( this is KEY ) you are in fear of your life & are arming yourself ".
Drop the phone immediately without sating anything else. You should already be hearing the sirens coming.

Expect cops with weapons drawn as they enter your property.

A milder way is to turn the garden hose on 'em.

Once when they came to the front door unannounced ( and 25 miles from the org ) I just looked at 'em & said " This is my 2D time " & as I was closing the door one asked " What does that mean"? And as I continued to close the door I said " It means we are fucking " & closed & locked the door.

Takes being more outrageous than they are to make 'em go away.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
What someone I know on a different board did was print off a load of OT3 material and start handing it around to the CofS people. That worked to scatter them (this was in Birmingham city centre). They're dead scared of that stuff if they haven't done the level themselves (and most people in the SO haven't).