What's new

What the world’s newspapers say about scientology

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was mucking around on some subscription-only international media databases. Occasionally I plug into them to see what media is appearing on scientology from around the world. :surf:

I did a search on two databases (Factiva and Press.Display), restricting the search to newspapers within a one month time frame. I ignored foreign language hits – there’s quite a bit of stuff coming up for Belgium. Also from Germany, Denmark and a little in Italian.

This is what I found – before I got bored.:yawn:

Factiva 199 hits
Press.Display 182 hits

I categorized the articles into three categories – anti scientology, neutral or pro-scientology.

Anti includes directly against, making fun of it, calling it a cult or obviously stating that scientology is bat-shit crazy. Words like “goofy”, “nutty”, “unaccountable”, “viral”, “cult” & “fake” feature regularly. Using scientology as an analogy for “quite off-the-wall” is common. Tom Cruise has helped with this enormously. :wacko:

Neutral includes articles which simply mention the word scientology with no slant either way.

Pro-scientology articles include stuff released by CCHR (how bad psych drugs are & related conspiracy theory stuff), articles about scientology helping a couple of celebrities (Chick Corea & Kate Ceberano), small ads for radio shows by scientology and religious directory page ads.

In total I only looked at 80 articles – after that I went cross-eyed & wandered off to do my weekly caek baking in honour of Anonymous. :cake: :anon:

The results - ta da!

• 58 anti category
  • 10 neutral category
  • 12 pro category.
Over 72% of the mass media is treating scientology as a joke. It is generally thought of as a stupid science-fiction based greedy, fake, goofy, nutty & unaccountable cult. :omg: :shock: :headspin:

So there you have it – what the people are reading about scientology in the newspapers of the world. :study: :surf:

Is this what they call a “PR disaster”? :ohmy:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I was mucking around on some subscription-only international media databases. Occasionally I plug into them to see what media is appearing on scientology from around the world. :surf:

Useful data--thanks very much for the research. Yes, it wouldn't help the int PR stats too much if they used those databases. But I think they use "Critical Research Executive Theta Independent News Service" based in Hollywood for stats purposes.

Paul

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
In total I only looked at 80 articles – after that I went cross-eyed & wandered off to do my weekly caek baking in honour of Anonymous. :cake: :anon:

The results - ta da!

• 58 anti category
  • 10 neutral category
  • 12 pro category.
Over 72% of the mass media is treating scientology as a joke. It is generally thought of as a stupid science-fiction based greedy, fake, goofy, nutty & unaccountable cult.

And if this was used at the events, the Scientologists would be told that there were 80 mentions of Scientology (all of them good, of course), with one of those graphics of a column of newspapers going through the roof, etc.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Useful data--thanks very much for the research. Yes, it wouldn't help the int PR stats too much if they used those databases. But I think they use "Critical Research Executive Theta Independent News Service" based in Hollywood for stats purposes.

Paul

You is welcome. :) The real world is full of really useful info on reality. LOL on the C.R.E.T.I.N.S.

I had to push myself through the above exercise as counting things still triggers my "Thursday stat day" thing. It's getting better though - the other day I sat in a carpark and counted the cars without getting an urge to type up what I saw and report it somewhere. Ain't cult recovery fun!

Hey look at me, I can count things without reporting it somewhere - freedom! :happydance:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
You is welcome. :) The real world is full of really useful info on reality. LOL on the C.R.E.T.I.N.S.

I had to push myself through the above exercise as counting things still triggers my "Thursday stat day" thing. It's getting better though - the other day I sat in a carpark and counted the cars without getting an urge to type up what I saw and report it somewhere. Ain't cult recovery fun!

Hey look at me, I can count things without reporting it somewhere - freedom! :happydance:

:hysterical: Good one!

sandygirl

Silver Meritorious Patron
And when you see things like the article in Glamour magazine....even young twenty somethings are becoming aware of the abuse.

I know that if I hadn't been raised into it, between TC and other various news stories I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole!!

Zander

Patron with Honors
And when you see things like the article in Glamour magazine....even young twenty somethings are becoming aware of the abuse.

I know that if I hadn't been raised into it, between TC and other various news stories I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole!!

Exactly sandygirl. I would never have got in if the internet had been around then. Doesn't everyone (espeically young people) check everything out on the net these days? :yes:

I just don't know where they are getting their new recruits but a lot of staff now seem to to be the children of sci's.

The next generation has now taken up the cause and all starry-eyed put their elbows to the grindstone just like the previous generation did. All previous failures are explained away by the lack of the 'Basics' ! :duh:

Zander

byte301

Crusader
sallydance, Thanks for posting this! Now to turn that 10% anti and to just annihilate the pro 12%!

just kidding :p