What's new

What Was Ron's Missed Withhold?

guanoloco

As-Wased
Lately there's been many posts regarding the NCG case and Degraded Beings (DBs) and Big Beings and all that. This led down a merry little road and some interesting bits for another episode of:

What Ron Says;
What Ron Does

We have at hand two references.

HCO POLICY LETTER Of 5 APRIL 1965
Issue II

THE NO-GAIN-CASE STUDENT

2. THE WITHHOLDY CASE

The withholdy case is routinely ARC breaking and having to be patched up, commonly blows, has to have lots of hand-holding. -

- The reason for all that weird behavior is always a withhold condition.

...and then...

HCO POLICY LETTER OF 1 OCTOBER 1967​

Admin Know-How Series 15

USES OF ORGS​

There are two uses (violently opposed to each other) to which Scientology orgs can be put. They are:

1. To forward the advance of self and all dynamics toward total survival.

2. To use the great power and control of an org over others to defend oneself.

When a decent being goes to work in an org, he uses 1.

When a suppressive goes to work in an org, he uses 2.

When you get in ethics, the decent one raises his necessity level and measures up. The suppressive type blows (leaves).

Here's another excellent quote from another HCOPL Handling the Suppressive Person, the Basis of Insanity:

"The case that continually pleads "hold my hand, I am so ARC broken" is just somebody with a big withhold, not an ARC break."

Here's one from HCOB Psychosis:

"WHEN SOMEBODY SAYS "NO!" the psychotic either:

a. caves himself in physically or

b. runs away.

The psychotic is motivated by intent to harm.

If he realizes he is harming things he shouldn't, he caves himself in. If he is afraid he will be found out, he runs."

These and other HCOPLs and HCOBs are bound together in the infamous PTS/SP Course as offered in Scientology. Laden throughout is the concept of "commonly blows" and such when "nearly found out" and all that.

All very interesting when compared to these comments...

The Good Ole Days with Hubbard Back in Scientology

The double whammy of losing his daughter and his Foundations literally destroyed him. He flipped. There is no kinder term for it. He vanished. Several concerned Dianuts (as we laughingly called ourselves) set out in search of him. Don Purcell, a Kansas Oil man, and Jack Maloney, the Foundation's Accountant, finally found him hiding under a bed in a hotel room in Cuba! (Remember, this was in 1951) He spun a fanciful, unbelievable yarn, about how he had been kidnapped by the Communists who wanted to know all the secrets of the human mind, and forced him, under torture, to reveal advanced techniques of brainwashing.

He also warned that the Communists planned to take over Cuba as an advance base for the conquest of the west, and that Batista's days were numbered. In retrospect, maybe someone should have listened to him! In any event, Don and Jack brought him to Wichita, gave him "Good present time" and a lot of Auditing, (the term 'processing' had not yet come into vogue), and cleaned him up to the point where he was his old arrogant self. Don told me, very seriously, "Never do Hubbard a favor; he'll not only never forgive you, he'll do his best to destroy you!"

Harlan Ellison on Scientology

"There was no question that Hubbard's fortunes had undergone a radical revision in the twelve months since his emergence as the adored founder of Dianetics. His personal life was in disarray, the Hubbard Dianetics Research Foundations in Elizabeth [NJ] and Los Angeles were disintegrating, most of the money had somehow been frittered away, he was months behind with his second book and he was stuck in Cuba with Alexis [his baby daughter: as I said, it's a long story] and he had no idea what to do with her. "What he needed was a saviour, preferably a saviour with plenty of ready cash. And there was one obvious candidate--Don Purcell, a businessman from Wichita, Kansas. Mr Purcell was not only an enthusiastic Dianeticist, he also happened to be a millionaire. "Towards the end of April, Hubbard sent a telegram to Purcell from Havana saying he needed help. De Mille [Hubbard's assistant] followed up with a long-distance telephone call urging Purcell to "do something" because Ron was dying. Purcell acted without delay. He sent a private plane to Cuba with a registered nurse on board to collect Ron and Alexis and bring them back to Kansas."

Interview with Kima Douglas

We took his Cadillac and went to Orlando. Michael, me and Hubbard, Michael driving. We got to a hotel, perhaps the Great Western. He sent Michael out to telephone Mary Sue. She had moved her office. Michael came back and told him and he broke down and wept. It was unreal. This was in his hotel room. Tears were pouring out his eyes. We didn't know what hell was happening. "If she's moved her office, it means someones come there. It means the whole thing's broken down. Don't you see? Don't you understand this?" Michael went out and called again to ask why she had moved. It looked like he was going to have a heart attack right there. She said she was more comfortable [elsewhere]. Michael relayed the message and he went to bed. We had adjoining rooms. She had just moved office from one apartment to another.

The Los Angeles Times Part 1: The Making of L. Ron Hubbard, Chapter Three: Life With L. Ron Hubbard

When upset, Hubbard was known to erupt like a volcano, spewing obscenities and insults.

Former Scientologist Adelle Hartwell once testified during a Florida hearing on Scientology that she saw Hubbard "throw fits."

"I actually saw him take his hat off one day and stomp on it and cry like a baby."

What's really interesting is that in the NCG HCOPL Hubbard recommends when you have a blowy student to "get two tough staff members to stand by while the withholds are explored on a meter in case this is a real justice case or just a student-lunch thief." But here's what is covered right after the "cry like a baby" part of the last article:

Hubbard had been hotheaded since his youth, when his red hair earned him the nickname "Brick."

One of Hubbard's classmates recalled a day in 11th Grade when the husky Hubbard, for no apparent reason, got into a fight with Gus Leger, the lanky assistant principal at Helena High School in Helena, Mont.

"Old Gus was up at the blackboard," recalled Andrew Richardson. "He taught geometry. He was laying out this problem and Brick let loose with a piece of chalk and he missed him. Leger whirled and threw an eraser at Brick, who ducked, and it hit a girl right behind him in the face."

Hubbard wrestled with the teacher, then stuffed him into a trash can, said Richardson.

"We all got to laughing and he (Leger) couldn't get up," Richardson said, chuckling at the memory.

Richardson said that, while the students helped their teacher, Hubbard stormed out and never returned. He left to be with his parents in the Far East, where his father was stationed with the Navy.

Ever try that in a Church of Scientology Academy?

This is from Corfu, as available on Ex Scientologist.net:

Alongside all of this was the work necessary to prepare the ship for an Atlantic crossing. The first big problem was one of fresh water. Hubbard had initiated the "Tank Project" before I arrived. Here crew were forced to lay on their backs, in quite claustrophobic conditions and chip the salt water tanks to prepare them for conversion to fresh water. This was quite an ordeal for them and many suffered terribly . Hubbard was uncaring, he wanted the job done. A contract crew came in and sprayed a plastic coating on all surfaces. Unfortunately, they did a crap job and the plastic began to fall off. I was the one who had to tell Hubbard.

I remember going into his office and he was sitting at his breakfast side-table with a bowl of coffee. He didn't use cups as this cooled the coffee more quickly. I had worked out a plan to repair the tanks at a reasonable cost. When I showed him the plastic Hubbard burst into tears. He cried like a baby and was in complete despair. I showed him the material I had on how to fix it, presented my report which he instantly approved, wiped his eyes and switched back into "Commodore" mode.

There's multiple other first person accounts of Hubbard breaking out in tears and running and hiding. There's the Sea Project, an escape into International Waters when he's about to be "found out"...there's the infamous last years of his life and hiding in a Bluebird Motorhome while Mary Sue goes to the pen. Nibs talks about him "running for the hills" with suitcases stuffed with cash.

How about this from The Scientology Story (Los Angeles Times series) by Joel Sappell and Robert W. Welkos, Part 1: The Making of L. Ron Hubbard, Chapter Three: Life With L. Ron Hubbard:

In this spirit, during the mid-1970s, Scientologists launched nasty smear campaigns and turned to criminality, burglarizing private and government offices.

Eventually, 11 top Scientologists were jailed, including Hubbard's wife Mary Sue, who oversaw the sweeping operation. Hubbard was named as an unindicted co-conspirator.

At one point during this period, FBI agents raided church headquarters in Los Angeles and Washington. Hubbard and three trusted aides, fearing that his enemies had at long last gained the upper hand, ran for cover. They fled a Scientology compound near the town of Hemet and drove to Sparks, Nev., where they used false names and lived in a nondescript apartment for six months until things cooled off.

"When the raids happened he never really knew what they (the FBI) had," recalled Dede Reisdorf, one of those who accompanied Hubbard.

To disguise Hubbard's appearance, Reisdorf said, she cut his red hair and dyed it brown. He often wore fake glasses, donned a phony mustache and pulled a hunter's cap down over his ears.

"He got to a point," Reisdorf said, "where he wouldn't even walk in front of a window.... He was afraid of being seen by somebody. There was always somebody in a bush somewhere. A reporter or an FBI agent or an IRS agent."

It was not the last time Hubbard would go into hiding. In 1980, on St. Valentine's Day, Hubbard pulled another disappearing act. This time, he never returned.

Here's a nice bit to read on Wikipedia, aptly titled Life in hiding. It covers the 1970s, Hubbard faced an increasing number of legal threats. French prosecutors charged him and the French Church of Scientology with fraud and customs violations in 1972. He was advised that he was at risk of being extradited to France. Hubbard left the Sea Org fleet temporarily at the end of 1972, living incognito in Queens, New York, until he returned to his flagship in September 1973 when the threat of extradition had abated, and goes on from there until his death.

Wonder what stuck picture he was looking at and just exactly what his missed withhold was? Who missed it?

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I think it was his later florid insanity. Hence his pathological fear and hatred of Mental Health Professionals. Hence his hiding from everyone - even his most devoted followers. I'm sure there's more, but that was my first thought.

Great thread topic.

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
Pathological narcissism occurs in a spectrum of severity. In its more extreme forms, it is narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). NPD is considered to result from a person's belief that they are flawed in a way that makes them fundamentally unacceptable to others. This belief is held below the person's conscious awareness; such a person would, if questioned, typically deny thinking such a thing. In order to protect themselves against the intolerably painful rejection and isolation that (they imagine) would follow if others recognized their (perceived) defective nature, such people make strong attempts to control others’ views of them and behavior towards them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

L. Ron Hubbard's MWH: He once failed to "do what thou wilt" and wondered whether Crowley knew from beyond the grave - it was when the deceased Magikian materialized a puddle of oil seconds before Ron hit it and went down on his motorcycle.

Mimsey

Aleister_Crowley_in_Hat.jpg

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
I don't think Fatty had any missed witholds.
That takes a conscience.

I don't know why people here search for the answer when Hubbard himself clearly stated his intent:

All men shall be my slaves! All women shall succumb to my charms! All mankind shall grovel at my feet and not know why!

Gadfly

Crusader
I don't know why people here search for the answer when Hubbard himself clearly stated his intent:

All men shall be my slaves! All women shall succumb to my charms! All mankind shall grovel at my feet and not know why!

I think you nailed it exactly. :thumbsup:

Affirmations are a key part of Magick and modern New Age practices. One chooses key basic desires and intentions around which to build the affirmations. Affirmations are a part of both the right-hand and the left-hand path, and as a technique are neutral. Affirmations are a part of both white magick and black magick. Good people use affirmations and real scumbags do too. Today, affirmations are used by people who have idea of their magickal roots.

I agree that Hubbard's affirmations TRULY showed where his desires and intentions laid. All else that he wrote and said, and related to others in the subject of Scientology, was part of HOW he chose to realize these desires and intentions.

Affirmations involve what any person truly wants to achieve. They give the best look into a person's soul.

Interestingly, while affirmations invovle a sort of "tech" on making this happen through thought alone (by changing ones deepest considerations), and while Hubbard himself chose THAT TECHNIQUE as part of his own "spiritual path", he never relayed anything like that to his followers. Basically, the "tech" (of magick and deception) that Hubbard himself used and practiced is NOT at all what he gave to his trusting followers.

Simply, what Hubbard managed to get some people to believe that they were getting with Scientology is NOT at all really what they were actually getting. Scientology was Hubbard's "creation" that acted as a vehicle for him to GET WHAT HE WANTED as defined in his affirmations. :yes:

one wonders what came down in the early sixties when he switched from raising ability to running out a common bank. There could be a MWH - we're all the same, yet he feels he is better than the rest.

The motor cycle accident was way before nots - I think 69? Maybe it made him realize he was mortal?

He talks on tapes about "the only one", and the viewpoint that life is sort of a play staged for that person (the only one) and it makes me wonder, was he talking from experience? Was that how he saw us? There are accounts of his rages, his crying jags, his screaming, his paranoia and interestingly, it would seem that if a person truly felt he was on a vast stage of his own creation, that everything that was there, he put there- it would be very upsetting that the creations did things on their own. It would countermand his mental position.

Look at how he calls himself source. 88008 - nothing becoming cause over everything. The old EP of OT 8 - unqualified cause over MEST. I'll bet this is the MWH - we aren't his creation, or extensions of himself, but accepting that would undermine his whole beingness.

How could he be the victim if he is the god in his own play, much like the book Typewriter in the Sky? This goes way back in his case I'll bet, like those crazy letters to the psychologists and the FBI after he was in the Navy (I think that's when he wrote them) One wonders if, like in using the Affirmations, he believes his himself to be the one, and what he believes will become fact.

Look at his distrust of doctors, isn't that saying: the doctor's manipulation of reality trumps my belief in myself? You could explain a lot of what is wrong with Scientology on his "I am the only one" reality. It is like once I read Tippi's comment about his fear of medicos, his refusal to get his broken arm set after the wreck, I saw how this was painted in many parts of Scientology. And now I see the same brush, painting the "only one" theme through out Scientology.

Mimsey

bill4.gif

Last edited:

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
ron was constantly blowing :whistling:- leaving and going to new locations - constantly on the run....destroyed his family and hid in a trailer in California the last 15 years of his life...talk about a "withholdy case"...what a bunch of bluddarisms - that stupid and insane tech of his!

that is Scientology too - constantly moving people around so no one knows what is happening - culling folders and removing the crimes Scientology commits and then shipping the folders from Morgue to Morgue and then feeding the lies to the staff so they are confused as to why the gal or guy BLEW.

Heh Scientology - people leave because it is a CULT, it destroys far more than it helps, it is a trap and Hubbard was a con. There are no other reasons!!:yes:

The no case gain "case" - just pure retarded crap! Insane L Ron Hubbard and his magical delicious tech that traps and destroys with the utmost confusion. All designed to trap one IN Scientology with no hope of getting out!! Very clever little Turd - that Ronny!

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
And, some have just called Hisself bat shit crazy & let it go a that.

He sure as shit was at least bat shit crazy !

Most likely a parnoid skitso meglamanic bipolar sciopath with severe delusions.

Last edited:

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
I think you nailed it exactly. :thumbsup:

<snip>

I agree that Hubbard's affirmations TRULY showed where his desires and intentions laid. All else that he wrote and said, and related to others in the subject of Scientology, was part of HOW he chose to realize these desires and intentions.

Affirmations involve what any person truly wants to achieve. They give the best look into a person's soul.

<snip>

Simply, what Hubbard managed to get some people to believe that they were getting with Scientology is NOT at all really what they were actually getting. Scientology was Hubbard's "creation" that acted as a vehicle for him to GET WHAT HE WANTED as defined in his affirmations. :yes:

Just shortening your text to simplify it then "yes", and put another way, Hubbard was aiming to enslave mankind and get them to grovel at his feet without knowing why. He succeeded in this with a large number of people using Scientology as his method. He designed it and was using it to enslave people, the people doing Scientology saw at as a means of becoming more able and self-determined while it was having the opposite effect on them - Hubbard's intended effect. And because Scientology means something entirely different to its followers than they can not see how the trap worked and try to work out from it, from the way they see it, why it trapped them. And this will not work unless you know the hidden intention behind the creation of Scientology which was to enslave people.

If people can accept this, and bearing in mind that Hubbard clearly stated his intentions, then perhaps they can find closure.