What's new

What was the first 'out point'

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
While reading others stories, I was recalling some of the first times I noticed what the cult taught as an 'out point'. Something that shouldn't be, but is.

I had been sucked into the cult with the promise of the 'bridge being awarded' lie. Being a carpenter, it seemed unlikely I would ever make the kind of money you needed to do the bridge, so it seemed like the thing to do. The S.O. recruiter heartily agreed with me, :D .

I had been in for a while, done the EPF, and all the preliminary programs, and been posted as an examiner because I did so good, they said. I started asking how I started on the awarded bridge. I had to do a co-audit. But I couldn't do the co-audit because I wasn't trained. I couldn't get trained because I wasn't eligible for the course I needed somehow and had to pay for it, etc, etc.

It seemed suspicious, but you're kept busy, and I was doing the 'sweat program' which is a predecessor to the Purification Rundown. Basically, you jogged in a sweat suit. I was 'squirrelling' big time by doing weight training every other night, so I was in a happy daze of endorphins most of the time.

Then, one day I asked the ASHO day archives IC (this was early eighties, and he had a big black beard, anyone know his name?) How long he had been in the S.O. It was like in the teens of years or something. I then asked how far he was up the bridge, and he hadn't even started Dianetics yet! I was stunned.

I started asking around and discovered that almost no one got the promised free auditing.

I knew one guy in the SO who inherited a few hundred grand, and promptly bought the whole bridge up to OT 3 for him and his new wife. She was smokin' hot, by the way, for sure #1 in our org in the hotness department, and he was a short, chubby, dumpy guy with receding curly hair. But I'm sure it was true love.:wink2:

I think the guy spending all that money solidified it for me; I had signed myself up for slave labor for shitty food and squalorly board for pennies an hour and I wasn't getting any other exchange.

When I had a filling fall out, and found out the 'free medical' promise meant I could get myself down the the UCLA dental school on my couple of days off a month using my own meager resources for transportation to let students practice on me that finally provided the proverbial last straw. I was married, and wasn't the kind of guy to take that lightly, so instead of just leaving I told my div head that I was going off post to handle my dental 'sit'.

No thank you, I'm not submitting any CSW, because I'm not asking for any permission, I'm just going to do this. He didn't know how to handle that. Remember, this was before the big freak-out of the mid 80's (right?) so the screaming at the top of your lungs tech was not disseminated that far from Laffy yet.

alexm

Patron with Honors
For me I think it was when I first got auditing.

I was involved in a Tibetan Buddhist group but started slowly disassociating myself a few months before I go into Scientology. Tibetan Buddhism can be very political and also I did not like the constant bickering between Vajrayana Buddhism and a group called the New Karamapa Tradition. This is a similar rivalry in Scientology between freezone. One accuses one group of not being authentic, impure and all that inter-sectarian nonsense.

I guess the first outpoint was if Scientology was a religion that all could do, (Omni or Pan denominational), but a person cant not audit regularly and be a practising Buddhist, who of course devotes certain amounts of time to daily or frequent meditation. As do Hindu, Jains, Sikhs, Trappist monks, and many people even nonreligious people.

A few years later while on staff, I was informed what to do if someone chants or says “Om” while being in session or in the course room. Every time a person does something, which “mixes practises”, you are to stop the person and send them to ethics. My friend once told me that a person he knew was not allowed on staff in Berlin, after she said that she did not want to stop practising Buddhism. I was told later although I never found out officially, that if a person questions mixing practises they should do a doubt formula in favour of Scientology.

So obviously this peaceful, humanitarian, dogma free and “all” denomination church is certainly dogmatic and very exclusive.

Although it took me three years, this was the first card removed from the house.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
...My friend once told me that a person he knew was not allowed on staff in Berlin, after she said that she did not want to stop practising Buddhism.
But CoS took a huuuuge win on getting a bunch of Tibetan monks in. What were they supposed to do - quit their religion? They took pictures of these monks in their monk garb in their own country. They didn't look like they planned to stop being monks. :confused2:

alexm

Patron with Honors
I saw those pictures too. They were monks in India but remember this was for sure PR! They also have pictures of Muslim people doing auditing in Indonesia. I am sure these are actors and they are paid.

If the monks were actually auditing then they probably asked them to stop meditating but who knows, for good PR Scientology will lie and break the tech. Yet if you are a new person, either you choose meditation or you audit. There is no way around it.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am sure these are actors and they are paid.
:omg: Really?! CoS has stooped THAT low?! Well, they didn't even need to be actors, really. They just needed to dress in an orange robe and look Asian. So...they just pulled some Asian Scios into a photo session? :eyeroll:

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
Do you mean the first one, now looking back? Because obviously I justified the hell out of it....

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
first one?

Obligatory standing HIP HIP HOORAY to the photograph of a man.

It was against everything I stood for (literally and figuratively).

Last edited:

uncle sam

Simply-staff pay!

It did not take long for me to notice "the first outpoint". The tech that was to free each man - woman and child from living the life of being degraded could not pay staff-at all-nada-nothing---NO PAY!

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
:yes: That along with seeing the first missioner in a navy outfit!:D

TP

Hells yeah! I can't believe that I came to think of that as 'normal'! Actually, now that I think about it...after the first time, seeing a mission walk into the org brought such terror, you couldn't contemplate the weirdness anymore. Anyone else remember silently screaming "P-leeeease let it just be a recruit mission......"?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
first one?

Obligatory standing HIP HIP HOORAY to the photograph of a man.

It was against everything I stood for (literally and figuratively).

Yeah, that always weirded me out.

Did you ever notice that in an organization that was rabidly dedicated to 'if it isn't written, it isn't true' and so against 'verbal tech' this was an absolutely entrenched practice that had no written policy to back it up?

Last edited:

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hells yeah! I can't believe that I came to think of that as 'normal'! Actually, now that I think about it...after the first time, seeing a mission walk into the org brought such terror, you couldn't contemplate the weirdness anymore. Anyone else remember silently screaming "P-leeeease let it just be a recruit mission......"?

:dieslaughing: NO CLAMCIDE! IT'S A PRODUCTION MISSION ...here,on the 24th of December! We had one of those for about 5 years in a row:omg:

:nervous:

TP

Wisened One

Crusader
First outpoint for me..an OT8 wearing glasses. Another OT8 with body problems/health issues....:hmm: (Even asked about it and was always told 'Well OT8
is just the first positive gain OT state, wait till they get to OT15! :whatever:)

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
This wasn't the first one, but it sure stuck out.

We were on vacation in Florida and it was my birthday and I begged my non-Scientologist hubby to let us stay for a night at the Fort Harrison (I was a true believer then and I wanted to just be in the presence of all that Theta :eyeroll: ).

So he agreed, and when we got there they checked my IAS membership and called my Org to see if I was in good standing, and then they said my hubby had to undergo a metered interview before they would let him stay there, since he was non-scio.:ohmy:

Even though I was well indoctrinated, that one shook my sensibilities and needless to stay we found a hotel on Clearwater Beach and enjoyed Pier 60 instead (plenty of real "theta" there!! So fun!). I was not about to ask my hubby to do that (not that he would have anyway).:nope:

Sheesh!

:eyeroll: TL

uncle sam

Good One Telepathic....

:yes: That along with seeing the first missioner in a navy outfit!:D

TP

That "weirded me out" too! What the hell does wearing a half assed navy uniform do with 'freeing the planet"? Oh- yeah - the pecking order-the all so important delineation of who is doing more for their brothers and sisters than the folks in a uniform.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
That "weirded me out" too! What the hell does wearing a half assed navy uniform do with 'freeing the planet"? Oh- yeah - the pecking order-the all so important delineation of who is doing more for their brothers and sisters than the folks in a uniform.

My thoughts exactly:yes: Navy uniforms=spirituality? WTF!

TP

Out point, shouldn't be and just plain WRONG

As a new staff member, I heard the ED screaming at another staff member. This staff member had just returned from the Dr. and learned medical tests were needed as he thought she had cancer. The ED was ripping the face off this staff member saying "So you're going to die? Who's your replacement?"

Here's another. New releases AFTER LRH died.

And another. How can you clear the planet if all are not legal PC's?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
As a new staff member, I heard the ED screaming at another staff member. This staff member had just returned from the Dr. and learned medical tests were needed as he thought she had cancer. The ED was ripping the face off this staff member saying "So you're going to die? Who's your replacement?"

Here's another. New releases AFTER LRH died.

And another. How can you clear the planet if all are not legal PC's?

legal pcs hell, how can you clear the planet when it's enforced to cost so much that only less than one percent of the planet can afford it?

Last edited: