What's new

What was the first 'out point'

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I noticed this as the first outpoint too when I joined at 17. I was supposed to go out and Div 6. No one that I knew could even afford the $500.oo HSDC course. I knew I could not make the mission successful with prices going up each month. I would have been suppressive to question it. :whistling:

The other outpoint was (1973) that the executive director and the director of processing were touting the "mystique" of OT abilities in order to garner themselves a harem of groupies. Mostly composed of others' wives and girlfriends and ventured to have close encounters of the FIRST kind until a revolt occurred amongst parishioners. :melodramatic: Comm Evs followed galore.:dancer:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I noticed this as the first outpoint too when I joined at 17. I was supposed to go out and Div 6. No one that I knew could even afford the $500.oo HSDC course. I knew I could not make the mission successful with prices going up each month. I would have been suppressive to question it. :whistling:

The other outpoint was (1973) that the executive director and the director of processing were touting the "mystique" of OT abilities in order to garner themselves a harem of groupies. Mostly composed of others' wives and girlfriends and ventured to have close encounters of the FIRST kind until a revolt occurred amongst parishioners. :melodramatic: Comm Evs followed galore.:dancer:

They had a complete double standard going on. My first wife when I was in the SO and I almost blew a gasket, but we didn't do anything until we at least had a highly questionable Tijuana marriage. The ethics would have been severe. This was the very early eighties.

When I went to flag in the not so early eighties after I blew the SO, to supposedly pay off my freeloaders debt at 10 bucks an hour doing renos, I knew big money foreign Laffy-ites were banging staff members from outer orgs who were there for flag training. No one said anything about that.

And, at the same time, they were trying to tell me I couldn't even date anyone locally, laffy-ite or not! I'm proud of the fact that I laughed at them, and told them I never agreed to that, and I'm not on their staff, and dated anyway.

Last edited:

Hatshepsut

Crusader
Its very sad that the young and ambitious who have a big can't have run on them get relief from dramatizing it on others.

Many times I've seen someone routing out who was a paying PC with lots of $ get ARC broken by a handling of such a person impinging their own regulations on what that client could or couldn't have. Ridiculous. I wonder how many just went home and decided to ask for refunds after figuring they did not want to schedule another trip back to Flag after all that. Because if they went on with their self-determined lives anyway they would have a withhold.

alexm

Patron with Honors
:omg: Really?! CoS has stooped THAT low?! Well, they didn't even need to be actors, really. They just needed to dress in an orange robe and look Asian. So...they just pulled some Asian Scios into a photo session? :eyeroll:

Perhaps so. Anything's possible when you're desparate.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Yeah, that always weirded me out.

Did you ever notice that in an organization that was rabidly dedicated to 'if it isn't written, it isn't true' and so against 'verbal tech' this was an absolutely entrenched practice that had no written policy to back it up?

Rmack, that is an excellent observation! I think it is rich enough for you to consider starting what could be a fascinating thread...

there is an abundance of enforced/inhibited/coerced hidden data line activity in the CoS and amongst Scientologists that probably would probably overfill an invisible OEC volume.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Yeah, THAT WAS strange to me, too! :ohmy:

If you haven't seen the Millenium 'Scientology' episode, you should :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Chung's_Doomsday_Defense_(Millennium)

In this one, the wacked out Cult dresses up as mailmen...
It's available on DVD of the Millenium episodes.
I think the same one has the great one of demons meeting in a coffee shop too.

Zinj

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Selfosophy (a parody of real-world scientology)

If you haven't seen the Millenium 'Scientology' episode, you should :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Chung's_Doomsday_Defense_(Millennium)

In this one, the wacked out Cult dresses up as mailmen...
It's available on DVD of the Millenium episodes.
I think the same one has the great one of demons meeting in a coffee shop too.

Zinj
This tight-ass was obviously inspired by scientology's Tommy Davis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg11pkjVSIc

Last edited:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather

Rmack, that is an excellent observation! I think it is rich enough for you to consider starting what could be a fascinating thread...

there is an abundance of enforced/inhibited/coerced hidden data line activity in the CoS and amongst Scientologists that probably would probably overfill an invisible OEC volume.

Yeah, maybe.

In spite of the slavish adherence to the written tech, they would routinely violate policies that benefited staff. In the Sea Org there was and SO order or something that said staff was never to be paid less than half pay.

I remember showing that to my OT 3 wife after another week of no pay at all, with a why the fuck is this not followed?, only to have her start wailing and freaking out, and calling me a natterer!

Another chunk of the disguising facade fell away.

Roan

Patron with Honors
Right away when (in 1979) I started attending the Tustin, CA Mission: 80% of the staff members were smoking like chimneys!

For a group espousing clearing, detoxing from radiation, drugs, chemicals, etc., etc. this was a HUGE outpoint for me.

It was all down hill from there! :yes:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Right away when (in 1979) I started attending the Tustin, CA Mission: 80% of the staff members were smoking like chimneys!

For a group espousing clearing, detoxing from radiation, drugs, chemicals, etc., etc. this was a HUGE outpoint for me.

It was all down hill from there! :yes:

I think that was my first one too -- I walked in to the "Dianetics Center" and saw this filthy ashtray on the guy's desk. I remember thinking "If Dianetics is so great, why is he still smoking?".

Funny, but it came up in a metered interview shortly therafter. I remember not wanting to tell the guy (because it was critical), but he got it . . . you know . .. "there. . . that". And I was so impressed that he could "read my thoughts" that I didn't think about the smoking anymore. :eyeroll: :no:

-TL

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Yeah, THAT WAS strange to me, too! :ohmy:

I think you young'uns should realize that Laffy dreamed all this up in an era where girl scouts were wearing military uniforms. The salvation army, etc. Hell, everyone wore some kind of uniform, including the gas station attendant that pumped your gas.

I remember seeing crowd scenes from the first Johnny Carson Tonight Shows in the early sixties where every dude in the audience was wearing a suit and tie, and all the chicks had the same length dress, and the same short bob haircut. Everyone sitting there at attention, clapping.

Then they cut to the early seventies, and it looked like a circus. Wild colors, long hair everywhere, people in near riot mode trying to wave at the camera,
quite a difference in 10 years.

I think the Hubster was out of touch with these changes in society. He wasn't interested, because hippies didn't have any money.

Last edited:

Wisened One

Crusader
I think you youngens should realize that Laffy dreamed all this up in an era where girl scouts were wearing military uniforms. The salvation army, etc. Hell, everyone wore some kind of uniform, including the gas station attendant that pumped your gas.

I remember seeing crowd scenes from the first Johnny Carson Tonight Shows in the early sixties where every dude in the audience was wearing a suit and tie, and all the chicks had the same length dress, and the same short bob haircut. Everyone sitting there at attention, clapping.

Then they cut to the early seventies, and it looked like a circus. Wild colors, long hair everywhere, people in near riot mode trying to wave at the camera,

I think the Hubster was out of touch with these changes in society. He wasn't interested, because hippies didn't have any money.

Good points, and I'm sure you're right on about that last sentence. :eyeroll:

HelluvaHoax!

I think you young'uns should realize that Laffy dreamed all this up in an era where girl scouts were wearing military uniforms. The salvation army, etc. Hell, everyone wore some kind of uniform, including the gas station attendant that pumped your gas.

UNIFORMS? that reminds me.....

In 1970 I was on Hubbard Standard Dianetics Course at ASHO with a couple buddies, straight out of the psychedelic days of high school 1969. We were doing great on the course, no problems at all. One day a hardcore young woman Sea Org Exec (I think it was Director of Training) gave us each a routing form to Ethics. We had to leave course because she did not like the way we looked. Although clean, we had long hair, funky bell bottoms, colorful tank tops, sandals, etc.

We arrive in ethics and a skinny, morbid looking dude in a yellowed, worn out polyester white dress shirt and frayed gray slacks gave us a lecture about our appearance. We were ordered off course until we had the right look for upstat scientologists. So we left course and went shopping for a couple days in some McArthur Park resale stores, laughing our asses off...

We arrived back at ASHO, finally, in our new "upstat clothes". We were wearing day-glow t-shirts under FORMAL TUXEDOS WITH TAILS AND DERBYS! I also found some blue suede shoes and mismatched dress pants from a business suit. We all looked like funkadelic woodstock rejects (lol) . They didn't like that at all. We argued that we were dressed more formally than the other students. They couldn't do anything about it, since we were (actually) wearing very formal attire, so we were reluctantly allowed to go back on course. And we continued doing great on course. (we didn't take any of it seriously and so they couldn't figure out what to do, kinda like Anonymous today)

It reminds me that C of S often (VERY OFTEN) orders people around and tries to dominate and control them...and if you let them do that, they do it even more. (e.g. "donations", etc...) Oooooooooh, soooooooooo glad I am free of total freedom! hahaha

Good twin

Floater
I rebelled in a similar manner when I was ordered to wear a minister's collar. I wasn't an ordained minister and didn't think I should have to wear it, but the GO required that a tech terminal wear the collar at all times.

So.....I wore a black sweater two sizes too small with the collar under it tight slacks or skirt and 4 inch stilettos. It was pretty hot, but no one said a word to me. :whistling:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I rebelled in a similar manner when I was ordered to wear a minister's collar. I wasn't an ordained minister and didn't think I should have to wear it, but the GO required that a tech terminal wear the collar at all times.

So.....I wore a black sweater two sizes too small with the collar under it tight slacks or skirt and 4 inch stilettos. It was pretty hot, but no one said a word to me. :whistling:

Love that!!!! :laugh:

HelluvaHoax!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
thanks for that post. really enjoyed it cuz it was
cool, hysterical, sexy, rebellious...but underneath it all is the holy collar! (LOL)
(iconoclasts of the world unite!)

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
I don't think it was a matter of any "First Outpoint", since I would usually deal with or report such matters. No single thing pushed anything over the edge, but was cumulative more so.

1. Incessant Reg Cycles, be they by phone, in person or strung along by stat-chasing upper terminals through the lower ranks.

2. Long work hours to handle debt and course sups continuously running me up to Ethics to find a course schedule, but would not approve CSWs.

2. Too many debts, esp. back taxes which in due time resulted in a bankruptcy. I never spotted at the time that by running through that insolvency cycle I would actually find myself in a position of Fraud, since the situation was engineered by "Planet-Saving" considerations. And yet oddly enough, should I ever return they would route me off to handle that which they are partly responsible for and that which is not remediable short of miracles anyways.

3. Physical back pains brought about sitting in chairs all day long, be it office, course, session and what not.

4. Continuous fallout with terminals who decided/insisted I needed to do this or that.

5. Opportunity to turf the Ex without any further Org interventions. I have had nothing but several good relationships since, and the current one is finally a true keeper. This weed-out process from the limited SCN selections was absolutely essential to enhance the quality of my life. Having cash-strapped Orgs blow them off is simply not an option.

5. Other interests I had abandoned previously dear to me to pursue the bridge. Now I spend more time doing the things I truly enjoy ... without any org enturbulations.

But I have no regrets. If I were to do it again, I'd do it differently and save myself a ton of money and BS. But continuing to feed the SCN financial machinery from this point on would inevitably leave me in my later days of life in poverty. Its not possible to return even if I wanted to. More than likely I'd break the next IAS Monkey's skull and get myself into even more trouble. There came a point where I walked away with my chips on the table and called it a day for at least this lifetime. And I am happy about that, I never look back, no regrets, no agendas with them either. And that is truly being free, along with the valuable knowledge/training/auditing I received.

Of all the things that were wrong, by far more things were right. No regrets.