What's new

When Did Hubbard Actually Start Auditing People on Dianetics?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
From the 8-8008 book, 1952:

"At the end of 80,000 hours of investigation of beingness in the MEST universe, I have concluded that those processes which make it possible for the preclear to disagree with the MEST universe also make it possible for him to handle the MEST universe . . ."

You'll have to do the math for yourself, but 80,000 hours is 22 years of 70-hour work weeks (x 52). I could never make the math work out to my satisfaction. Maybe someone else could explain it to me. Seems not possible. :confused2:

There are so many discrepancies in the story I've never been able to resolve. And I've tried over the years. :confused2:

So be it.

Explanation: Here is how the figure 80,000 hours was arrived at. You can actually take a calculator and do the steps.

1. Get a simple working calculator. Ensure it has fresh batteries and the numbers are clearly readable.

2. Start with the number 80,000. Enter that number on the calculator. Be sure the decimal place is correctly placed (e.g. don't enter 8000 or 800,000)

3. Divide 80,000 by 356. That is the number of days a year available to research ("investigation"). You should have the number 224.72 (hours per day). Obviously it is not possible to work 224.72 hours a day because a day only has 24 hours. Proceed to the next steps and it will all make sense.

4. Determine how many hours a day a person could conceivably work. Let's assume that a vibrantly industrious person could work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

5. Now re-do step number 3 and divide 80,000 by 16. This will give you the correct number of days that would be required to work to aggregate 80,000 hours of investigation. You should now have the number 5000 (days).

6. Divide 5000 (days) by 356 (days in a year). This will precisely calculate the number of years that Ron invested in research. You should have come up with 14.04 years. Let's round that off to 14 years.

7. There you have it. If he worked 16 hour days, 7 days a week, it would be 14 years. If he worked 8 hours a day, 7 days a week it would be 28 years.

8. Actual Hubbard method of calculation. Ron did not use any of the above methodology to calculate the figures. His method required only one step, using what you might call "advanced math". It is strikingly similar to step #2 above. In fact it is identical except that he did not use a calculator and once he did the "Start with the number 80,000" part he had no need to be DevT'd by additional and unnecessary steps.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Explanation:
7. There you have it. If he worked 16 hour days, 7 days a week, it would be 14 years. If he worked 8 hours a day, 7 days a week it would be 28 years.

1952 - 28 = 1924.

I still think that Hubbard was not talking about his own personal hours.
I suspect that he was estimating ALL hours by every Scientologist involved in auditing up to 1952.
Maybe the better question is "did he really C/S ALL those PCs up to 1952"?

(It's just "marketing"... the same old same old.)

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
1952 - 28 = 1924.

I still think that Hubbard was not talking about his own personal hours.
I suspect that he was estimating ALL hours by every Scientologist involved in auditing up to 1952.
Maybe the better question is "did he really C/S ALL those PCs up to 1952"?

(It's just "marketing"... the same old same old.)

Honestly? I don't think he was talking about ANY HOURS AT ALL THAT ANYONE SPENT.

If my life depended on it, I would guess that he just made up an impressive sounding number that was "acceptable". Not over 100,000, not too much less than 100,000.

His modus operandi was to say anything that would cause people to believe him so that hey had confidence.

That's how confidence games work.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
"Beingness in the MEST universe" sounds like something you can "investigate" just by existing. So investigating 24/7 is no problem.

I think you're right, in that nothing special was done.

80,000 is obviously round-number estimation (assuming it bore some resemblance to reality), not a carefully-measured result from actual records. Maybe it went like this:

1911 - 1952 = 40 years
40 hours a week x 50 weeks a year = 2000
40 x 2000 = 80,000
Voilà.

Paul

phenomanon

Canyon
I only got into DN in 1952, but as far as I know, Hubbard didn't audit anyone on DN.
There is a tape, which I think preceeds the June 7 1950 one referenced here, titled LRH audits Gloria Manchenberg. I dunno if it's online. It's an extremely poor recording, and no Dn auditing takes place so far as I can hear. No "Clear Sound then to clean it up. Lol.
I'll listen to it again and verify that no Dn auditing happens.
I think I also have the June 7 tape mentioned. I haven't taken those old reel to reels out in decades. They are pretty fragile.
I'll have a listen.

phenom

uniquemand

Unbeliever
No need to listen to Hubbard bloviate about it.

The actual dianetics process is incredibly simple. Freud delineated it in his lectures, linked here: http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/h-freud-lectures.htm

The steps are identical, the procedure is identical.

"What left the symptom behind was not always a single experience. On the contrary, the result was usually brought about by the convergence of several traumas, and often by the repetition of a great number of similar ones. Thus it was necessary to reproduce the whole chain of pathogenic memories in chronologic order, or rather in reversed order, the latest ones first and the earliest ones last."

That's it.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think you're right, in that nothing special was done.

80,000 is obviously round-number estimation (assuming it bore some resemblance to reality), not a carefully-measured result from actual records. Maybe it went like this:

1911 - 1952 = 40 years
40 hours a week x 50 weeks a year = 2000
40 x 2000 = 80,000
Voilà.

Paul
Good to see he didn't work overtime and took vacation each year. :wink2: