What's new

When did the International Events start?

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Nah, the first "International Event" was held in East Grinstead using a local theater as the venue in the latter part of 1968.

In the begining of 1968, based from London, I was responsible for conceiving of it and getting it going but, typical of the org hierarchy to never let a good idea go un-stolen, they usurped control and I later got booted off staff :yes: (for which I now thank them!! :yes::yes:)

You'll see references to the Int Scientologists being denied entry into the UK for the event elsewhere on ESMB.

Rog

So YOU'RE the bastard! lol

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I recall going to one in the Park Lane Hilton, and also the wembley
conference centre where Diana Hubbard appeared.

I didn't notice this thread at the time, I was probably busy moving. I do remember the Diana event at the Hilton. She was speaking about clearing the planet, all we had to do was to get one person in each and then they get one in and so on and the planet would be clear in months. I could see how that was possible, a matter of exponential growth, but then I thought so why doesn't that happen? the forces keeping people out must be so much bigger than the forces of word of mouth dissemination. If something's a good idea it just spreads. Think how many people had a mobile phone in 1986 and how many have them now. They are not cheap, and some villages in India have have share one phone, but their usage stretches across the planet. When you buy a phone you CONNECT with friends and you pay once and for using the system, when you join the cult you loose friends and keep paying, it's hard to disseminate that to people you love.

I do remember a very glitzy Europe wide IAS event in Copenhagen. I was very impressed by the army of people from across the continent, I felt an elation similar to a big concert with a loved celebrity, or what guys feel at a football match all singing in unison, or how they felt at Woodstock. The feeling would have been the same if we'd been sitting in rain soaked field, there is such a thing as stagecraft, but Dave just loves spending other people's money. The elation of a good event has nothing to do with the 'message' or what ever it was we clapped our hands and arms into agony over. It has to do with being in a large united group, those new recruits marching to the docks armed with pitchforks, off to fight the Hun had the same dizzy elation. That soon changed when faced with years of freezing mud and dead bodies and rats, and realising that the Evil enemy were just pawns like themselves. The unification caused by these events soon fade, and the expense and destruction caused by overwork and lack of sleep take over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZck8o6f_eM

billyd

Patron with Honors
Doesn't seem like Scientology held any big, glitzy events before Hubbard's death, but maybe I'm wrong. These flashy events always remind me of Christian televangelist shows. Its funny how no one inside questions why there is usually just the short pervert yapping on stage instead of other execs having a chance to do their thing. Maybe they just don't care and don't ask questions anymore. Was it Miscavige's idea to hold these kind of events?

Another funny thing is that no one inside questions why there is no checks and balances on Miscavige. I could be wrong, but doesn't seem like Hubbard expected there to be a "ecclesiastical leader" since the only "leader" Scientology is supposed to have is L Ron himself. RTC was just supposed to be in charge of protecting the copyrights and making sure orgs were enforcing KSW. There's nothing in their charter that grants Miscavige the right to go beyond his post and manage the entire org board. If anything, it is technically illegal for Miscavige to run all the other orgs since he is legally only a member of RTC. The whole "ecclesiastical leader" charade seems to exist to justify Miscavige's involvement in all the other orgs and bypass corporate law, though how and why the state of California, the feds, and other Sea Org members allow this makes no sense. If Miscavige was pulling this shit in any other non-profit, it would be a huge scandal with the feds auditing every entity connected to him in some way.

So Miscavige becomes the boss after kicking out Broeker, IAS was started in 1984 (by Sea Org members led by Miscavige I assume), and after Hubbard dies big flashy events are held several times a year and Scientology brochures and promo materials become more glossy and polished.

I asked about this a few times but all I got were blank stares. I don't think they ever even understood what I was suggesting since I didn't get sent to the MAA.
Actualy youare wrong. The first international event was organised by Bill Drummond in 1980 at ST Hill. It was aimed for 5000 people. though that was a failed purpose.It was the begining of the use of the queens caterers As bill Drummond used his expertise and the advantage that he actualy worked at St James Palace on some Royal events. Mary Sue hubbard attended. Bill Drummond was I\C events for Europe at that time.Bill Drummond was never paid and the ensuing debate over these proceedings ended up in his getting com\eved and bent over the ethics table.I think this was the begining of the big events. In fact the church still uses the Queens caterers technique to this day in its IAS ST HILL annual events

billyd

Patron with Honors
Nah, the first "International Event" was held in East Grinstead using a local theater as the venue in the latter part of 1968.

In the begining of 1968, based from London, I was responsible for conceiving of it and getting it going but, typical of the org hierarchy to never let a good idea go un-stolen, they usurped control and I later got booted off staff :yes: (for which I now thank them!! :yes::yes:)

You'll see references to the Int Scientologists being denied entry into the UK for the event elsewhere on ESMB.

Rog
Sorry mate/ i just posted that the first int event was one done by me in 1981.But you are right i remember my mother Betty Wordie trying to get to your event from South Africa and it was hell.