What's new

When Scientologists Talk To Each Other About Scientology

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Another gem from the Village Voice.
The video talked about is on the site: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/03/when_scientologists_talk_scientology.php
When Scientologists Talk To Each Other About Scientology
By Tony Ortega Thu., Mar. 1 2012

I felt precious IQ draining away as I watched this video a few times, and I may not actually be doing our readers a service by subjecting them to it.

But sometimes, it's important to counter Scientology's preferred public image -- as a somewhat vague and possibly glamorous undertaking that appeals to beautiful people like Tom Cruise -- with the reality of what Scientologists actually say to each other when they try to convince each other to fork over large amounts of cash to "move up the Bridge to Total Freedom."

I know it's difficult, but please stick with this video so you can see the testimonials that start showing up about the 5-minute mark. And keep in mind -- these are people getting into the higher levels of a spiritual journey that promises to make them among the most brilliant and unhindered beings on the planet, and well on their way to superhuman status...

Rather than try to explain all of the jargon in this video, I'm posting this quickly so our illustrious commenting community can do what it does best and take this thing apart down to its fasteners and grease.

Commenters, please point out your favorite passage, and help beginners understand what in the blazes these people are talking about. The service you provide humanity will be priceless.

(For those new to the bewildering jargon of Scientology, please start with our primer, "What is Scientology?" And if you've never heard of the church's private cruise ship, please read the harrowing tales of what it's like to work on the barge in our interviews with Valeska Paris and Ramana Dienes-Browning.)

And of course, the comments:

John P.

Most fun part of this is when Lieutenant Commander Sharron ("Cruella") Webber tells you that you can learn to "put ethics in" on anybody, Scientologist or otherwise. Whenever I hear that particular phrase, I cringe because it always reminds me how my internist wants to "put glove in" to check my prostate once a year. If I heard a co-worker ask me to sit down because he's going to put some ethics in on me, I would expect that the court would grant my plea of temporary insanity over what I did next.

The second testimonial, which starts at about 5:50, features a blond Australian woman who looks a bit like Carly Crutchfield, though perhaps a few years on and a little dumpier. Carly Crutchfield is a Scientologist who claims massive success in real estate investing, but who seems to have lied about her qualifications, lied about the deals she's done, and left a trail of bankruptcy and angry investors in her wake. Google "carly crutchfield australia" to read about her illustrious career as the Antipodean Donald Trump. I liked how this woman, whether she is Carly or not, learned to "expand [her] viewpoint on what [she] thought [her] income sources were..." I shudder to think what her co-workers and customers think about her new viewpoint of income sources.

My other favorite is the blonde American woman who at 8:48 talks about how great it is to keep coming back. The facial expressions, though, are not exactly consistent with a sincere, positive testimonial. The words say, "come to the ship" and the facial expressions say, "yeah, whatever..."

Also telling: there are only shots in a classroom where people are being buried under all these workbooks and checksheets. Nothing about the luxurious accommodations, gourmet meals or relaxing recreational facilities. Perhaps someone who's been on the FeeWinds can compare those aspects with other cruise ships.

I should give them props for one brief shot where somebody is using an iPad to type something. Perhaps they're not totally lost in the 1980s, technologically speaking.

Miss Pert in reply to John P.

That woman that looked like Carly Crutchfield, not really, is Maria Silver. When I left she was OTV, I don't think she has moved on from there but it has been a couple of years, I could be wrong. If prolific profanity is considered an overt by the cult I think it will take her a really long time to get through the set ups for OTVI & VII.

Commenter Plus Ultra in reply to John P.

"Nothing about the luxurious accommodations, gourmet meals or relaxing recreational facilities."
ROFLMAO!! luxury accomodations? how about 4 people (and you don't get to choose your roommates) to a tiny tiny little tiny room (two sets of bunkbeds and a closet big enough for one person's stuff) with one tiny little bathroom. yikes! Of course, if you're Tom Cruise, there are gorgeous, spacious cabins with two big beds, dressers, closets, etc.
I WILL say the food was great and plentiful. As to relaxing recreational facilities: one hot tub for 150 people, one small swimming pool, a crazy lounge (done up in all white decor) which holds maybe 2 dozen people. But there is NO relaxing -- there's no time for that, if you think you've got time to sit around and relax, well, the IAS needs to see you pronto.
One time on the ship, I was up before the cafe opened. I ran into another person looking for coffee, like I was. So we wandered into the cafe and started up the coffee maker. Oh. My. God. You'd think we'd stolen the crown jewels. The staff were NOT amused. Or helpful for that matter. Sheesh.

TheHoleDoesNotExist

First of all, damn you to hell, Tony. This is an evil assignment and I think you know that.

Second, non scientologists would Never get to 5:00.

Third, I'll see if I can break this down. If you wondered right off the bat what the ? is a "church" doing in the business of finances, to understand Anything about scientology, you must understand that it is a business with three completely separate models: One for non scientologists to recruit and sell; one for scientology public and one for sci staff. This video is marketed to scientology public.

Since it's on a ship, scientologists often exclaim how calm and supportive their experience was (theta, OT). They are separated from all outside problems, opinions, completely cut off from the real world, and from life's normal annoyances (off the crossroads).

When scientologists study their courses or do services on this ship, in this kind of cult-like environment and cheerleading every step of the way, they go back to their family and jobs all fired up. This is normal reaction from anyone who's been to a convention or group activity. However, I can tell you in 60 years the Only result stories like ones you hear on this video are outrageous extravagances at best (business increased 300% overnight). Most come back and start practicing harsh business practices, threats, cutting their expenses to the bone disastrously. A few then experience this OMG increase in something or other; most don't. And for those that do, they do Not come back on video and say, "by the way, after 6 months of this insanity, the business folded, lost my good credit, home, community had to suffer all the new unemployed and bankrupt."

The beginning and ending of this infomercial hits on keywords of Implants and Planting. Ironically the claims are that scientologists become aware and causative over non scientologists' manipulations in life. The truth is that every time a scientologist does services or spends agree-with-us group enforcement activities each becomes deeper implanted with Hubbard's writings which when taken as a whole, are nonsense and not peer reviewed.

Doctrines and writings are arranged in levels. Level 8 (OT 8 it is called) is the highest; it takes years and over $350,000 to jump all the hoops to get there, and through the decades, once you do, you are sold to do them all over again. Any problems you have, including not enough money or time to do all this, is because something bad you are doing, have done (Ethics) and that's blocking your money flows (Finance). Anything good that happens is because of scientology. Therefore, you need these Power Tools that are mentioned. It's sold as self help, basically.

Oh, and scientology is not a religion unless you consider Money IS God. On that Level 8 you're supposed to now be God like and have immortality, but believe me, Money is the higher God in scientology. Yes, I know. Just remember this is a business, blessed by the IRS, and Only scientology. Sucks, don't it?

anonsparrow

Ha! I went to one of these conventions in 2000. As soon as I stepped on the Freewinds I was put on a "routing form" that would dictate every step of the way while I was there. First stop: IAS Registrar Teddy Breggin (iirc).

I met Sharron Weber, the lady narrating the clip, and thought she was pretty cool and funny.

What started as a wonderful experience ended in disaster. I ended up borrowing money twice from DC Scientologists and a third time from someone I had just met while there.

Also during that same Freewinds stint, all of the public were "encouraged" to attend Mission Impossible at the local theatre as many times as possible (Curacao). I saw it three times in five days. :(

TheHoleDoesNotExist in reply to anonsparrow

Well, hello there Sparrow! U Been missed. (I waves my sign). I was on the ship once after being away a long time. I actually just needed a few days vacation. Boy, was I handled well to do this.

Those few days I learned something very valuable! Scientology Had changed, woohoo! Except for the worse. If I had to choose the worst and most convincing moment, it was when I declined to attend the graduation night gathering, as I was tired and wanted to pack as I was leaving next day.

Being strongarmed and almost dragged to this fun event, then realizing that no one was allowed to leave until a certain $$ quota of (coerced) money was shaken out of attendees portfolio's and credit cards), well that was certainly a defining moment I'd say.

Because of my past posts in the Sea Org, I knew there was a possibility I would not be allowed to disembark the ship in the next day's port as planned. I also knew what to do and how to play, so it took me a couple extra days, (and of course, that costs $$), I managed to get the hell out. Had no idea it had gotten this bad and even then couldn't imagine it could get much worst. But I didn't have to humiliate myself begging from fellow ship travellers (it Was suggested several times and I saw others do it).

But hey, I wasn't forced into the Tom Cruise implant station like you, so I guess I had it easy? I wonder if there'll be a tom Cruise Implant Station in the Super Power Mecca Cathedral?

xstaffWPB

Patron
Jeez Louise. That video was so friggin depressing. The only brightness I felt was upon reminding myself that I'm not part of that insanity anymore. Good riddance Scn and LRH.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
ARGH! I only lasted not quite six minutes and even that was with a lot of fast forwarding to get that awful Commanding Officer out of my face. I was depressed that I actually understood what they were saying -- after all these years the jargon has not left me.

The one thing that cheered me up is that Ron says you have to be OT to go OT. That does beg the question of, if you're already OT, why do you have to go OT? I could lose myself in that one. :omg:

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
"My crew and I are ready to service you" she said. This may be true, but she didn't explain the nature of how you will be "serviced."

I can think of some examples ... the first to come to mine is serviced like a bull services a cow. Another example is how the IRS services taxpayers. I'm sure you all can think of some other fine examples. The way that gal looks, I'm sure she has been serviced a few times by being handed a toothbrush and being ordered to clean out the lowest level engineroom bilges.

Pete

guanoloco

As-Wased
"My crew and I are ready to service you" she said. This may be true, but she didn't explain the nature of how you will be "serviced."

I can think of some examples ... the first to come to mine is serviced like a bull services a cow. Another example is how the IRS services taxpayers. I'm sure you all can think of some other fine examples. The way that gal looks, I'm sure she has been serviced a few times by being handed a toothbrush and being ordered to clean out the lowest level engineroom bilges.

Pete

I wonder if she has ever smoked a cigarette?

Maybe that shortness of breath she demonstrates is due to all that asbestos...

Last edited:

Happy Days

I could only watch 30 seconds of it before I felt like doing this :puke2:

And her voice she's been or is a :smoking:

GreyLensman

Reminds me of the Tom Cruise promotional shit.

Hi, this stuff, it's so great... It's like, the best.

Gadfly

Crusader
I could only watch 30 seconds of it before I felt like doing this :puke2:

And her voice she's been or is a :smoking:

Yeah, me too. I made it to about a minute. :puke2:

The nonstop use of the all-too-common "buttons" - degraded planet, restimulation, implants, dramatizations, blah-blah-blah - the ones who are truly implanted and dramatizing are the over-indoctrinated overly-dedicated moronic Scientologists! :duh:

The nonstop use of the all-too-common "buttons" - degraded planet, restimulation, implants, dramatizations, blah-blah-blah - the ones who are truly implanted and dramatizing are the over-indoctrinated overly-dedicated moronic Scientologists! :duh:

Yep. Hardcore scientology loyalists are the clearest evidence available that implant tech really works!

Mark A. Baker :)

guanoloco

As-Wased

That's too funny! I blanked it all out and only heard "blah...blah...blah" through a typical emphasemic SO voice with bad TRs.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
That video's hilarious. Bottom line, get ethics handled so you can make more money to spend on the never ending trips back to the ship.
Fucking greedy bastards.
:angry:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
She sounds like she just got finished smoking 6000 packs of Kools, and she didn't look very bright, to me.

Hmm... They shoulda held onto Debbie Cook.

I like hearing their promo vids. Yes, they are horrible butchering of language, but very interesting to see the hooks laid and then pulled in. I remember seeing these, and being interested to see if any of it was true, but being annoyed by the "New Age" bullshit vibe.

I hate that shit in my own field, but it seems to draw people to take a look.

Lone Star

Crusader
OT environment my ass. The one and only time I went on the ship I couldn't help but notice how unhappy and stressed out the majority of the staff looked. Some were downright angry. After about 3 days I found myself thinking, "I've got to get off this damn boat!" :angry: