ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Where is Saint Hill UK Canteen ?.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by michaelangelo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I left for LA in 1986, a year before it happened, so heard no rumours at all. I assumed it was the usual suspects playing with their Tesla machines, nothing to do with Scn at all.

-----

And how could Peter B look sad when he was [STRIKE]banging[/STRIKE] married to the gorgeous Christine?

Paul

2. Kutta

Kutta Silver Meritorious Patron

Yep, I remember Christine. She was a beautiful looking gal, with long blondish hair, large blue eyes, and a slim but curvy figure. I recall her floating around qual, but what was the post she took up where she was your boss xseaorkuk?

Good news: I have heard that she is 'out', remarried and has a family. Isn't that swell, as the 'mericans would say.

As for the canteen, my memory is that it was on the left as you went down the driveway to the manor, that you accessed it up some steps as some have noted. The 'garages' in my memory were on the opposite side of the drive, not connected at all to the canteen.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Funny how that building had such an impact on our lives. For me I was there a lot in earlier years 68 - 72 though later as public and volunteer Reception I must have met some of you there!

The Canteen was the social centre, especially in those early days when there were hundreds of students coming and going. Not so much later on. I also worked in the 'garages' on an all hands compliation of the first OEC mimeod volumes. I was promised a free set, never happened.

I remember the Gaimans running it Dart, that's when they started G&G too wasn't it?

4. vumba

vumba Danielle Chamberlin

I loved, loved, loved Todd's burrittos. Yum !

5. vumba

vumba Danielle Chamberlin

I worked in Mimeo in those garages too. Bloody cold in winter, but actually quite a lot of fun.

6. frhidden

frhidden Patron with Honors

I remember the Gaiman children, mostly the daughters, and the Parkhouse daughters serving in the canteen. This was around 1975 and 1979/81.

Who cares about food? Around 1985 there was a gorgeous Israeli young lady with curves in the right places working there. She had completed Grade 0. Sex on legs! She and I were in the EPF together for a week. I asked her for a date but was rejected and dismissed in a female blink of an eye. Somehow there is no invalidation when one is rejected by such a stunning example of female humankind.

(Christine supped my comm course in London in 1974.)

7. Axiom142

Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

I seem to have missed this thread the first time around.

When I arrived in July ’86, the canteen was on the left of the drive, about 50 yards down from the turning circle outside the castle, which put it almost exactly opposite the entrance to the CLO building. (See map here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?9057-St-Hill&p=183956&viewfull=1#post183956 )

It was housed in a rather rickety green shed and was situated on a level space cut into the hillside so that you had to climb a half dozen or so steps to reach it.

The ‘garages’ were on the same side of the drive, but at the same height as the drive (obviously otherwise you wouldn’t be able to get the cars in!). I’m pretty sure that these weren’t being used at garages and I think that the printing presses for the magazines (operated by Hal Tupholme) were housed here. There may have also been a gym, but I think that the latter was only for use by CMO, so I never got to use that one.

In October ’87, we had the Big Storm and a lot of trees came down. One very large specimen came down smack onto the canteen and smashed it to matchwood. Another large one landed on the end of the annex of the Manor where OSA was (and still is) housed, smashing about 6 feet of that office.

Note that the canteen was not where we had our meals – this was the Stables – but was just somewhere where you could get hot drinks, snacks and sandwiches etc. It wasn’t at all sanitary and I remember seeing a large pan of milk simmering away (with skin formed) for the whole day. When it rained, they used to put down sheets of cardboard on the floor (buy proper mats?) which then broke up into soggy pieces.

By the time I had left in November, there wasn’t a replacement. But when I returned around ’89 a much smarter canteen had been set up in the castle at the location shown earlier in this thread. A definite improvement, although it was several years before they banned smoking in there so it wasn’t always very pleasant to sit it.

Also, the garages appeared to have been demolished and replaced by a parking area.

Going back to the Big Storm, this was pretty manic. We had dozens of trees down along the road alongside the grounds, thus blocking vehicular traffic, dozens more down in the grounds and flooding on the drive because of blocked drains. Oh, and we didn’t have any electricity in the area for several days because all the power lines were down. I spent about a week helping clear up the mess, including building some huge bonfires to burn all the trees. A highlight was wrapping some spuds filched from the kitchen in aluminium foil and baking them in the embers. Superb!

Axiom142

8. johnAnchovie

johnAnchovie Still raging

I ran that awful place for a bit. By the time the storm hit I was working in Tours org, money had to continue to flow in so we decamped to the Copthorn Hotel on the road to Crawley and Gatwick, they had gennies running and so we took a suite of rooms and the lads kept regging - stealing really - while I ran logistics, basicly driving the mercedes back and fourth between SH nad the hotel, what fun...

9. puddleduck

puddleduck New Member

John were you at SH up until mid-2000s? If you are who I think you are!

10. Free to shine

JohnAnchovie is John Duignan who wrote The Complex. :)

11. puddleduck

puddleduck New Member

Ah, I thought so. Thanks very much!
    There don't seem to be many from Saint Hill on here.

12. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

13. Free to shine

Yes, a lot of Saint Hillers. I was there 68-78. :)

14. Panda Termint

Gawd! I just realised we were there at the same time, I was there in '74.
    That just struck me as quite funny!
    Scientology; it's a small world, after all. :biggrin:

15. Free to shine

Crikey...
    I wasn't around that much in 74 I don't think but I did hold reception as a volunteer quite a lot over the years. We probably met then... and again later.... and again later! :laugh:

16. Panda Termint

Yes, that's probably why it struck me as funny. I consider you one of my true friends and although we've had quite a few mutual experiences, I'd never connected those particular Saint Hill dots. :)

There it is, folks, there's always something new to learn on ESMB, right?

17. Uk-86

Uk-86 Patron

I was there!
    Remember killing a rat that was poisoned and in a terrible state out the back.
    86 storm, now that was fun. We had to cut our way to St Hill. The reggs were all on huge mobiles - Mike Garside, Craig etc.

18. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Hi UK-86, welcome! I bet they thought they were in Star Trek with that space age equipment!

Killing rats doesn't sound like a fun thing to do even to put it out of its misery.

19. Uk-86

Uk-86 Patron

Thanks,
    Yes it was a mercy killing.
    Star Trek haha hell Yea! I was pretty impressed.
    So does anyone remember the CLO trip to Stringfellows up in London? Steve Lake would have been the CO.

20. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

That must have been before or after my time in Fluck, woops FLUK. Stingfellows????? Tell me more!:eyeroll: