ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Where is Saint Hill UK Canteen ?.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by michaelangelo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Uk-86

Uk-86 Patron

I have no idea how we all got invited - rumour was that Coral S. was in or something.
    Great fun though. I think it was a week night as the Club was fairly quiet. Maria Lake was there and most of CLO/CMO.
    Mid summer 86 maybe? Not sure.
    Am pretty sure Steve Lake was the CO so before the bust when a French lady took over. Sharline T. would have been the LRH Com.
    It was nuts but I had some fun and met some really good people.

2. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Shame no one got Peter Stringfellow signed up as a sleazy FSM dragging all his pervy customers into the cult. I find it just about possible to imagine Steve Lake enjoying the atmosphere, but not so sure about the CMO girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWm_Ikrny8

3. johnAnchovie

johnAnchovie Still raging

Oh yes! Craig Matheison organised that. I was his communiicator in Tours org. Craig was in with Peter Stringfellows wife and was doing some recording with a group he had formed called 'Spirit of Play'. He recorded a song with Paul McCarntey for Children in Need. Craig was something of a celeb in Scientology circles at least - he was also a prog rocker of some acclaim before Hubbard got his claws into him.

That night was wild. Craig played on stage, Stringfellows wife greeted our party - Craig, CO CLO Steve Lake, me, Maria, Rob et al dressed in nothing but a net... I was quite taken by the whole affair. Int management were not so pleased. They sent a mission and repression hard times once more ruled the day. - Steve was RPFed and Craig was demoted... Good night out though.

4. johnAnchovie

Oh the CMO girls enjoyed it. They partied hard, the champagne was complimentary..

The then DCO Production CMO, Jane Hayden - nee Barram - was working with Craig on the music celeb scene and gave him a lot of lee way to explore the field. I spent a lot of time in Soho recording studios as a result. The Int Ethics mission busted all of CMO as well.. COB taking exception to a mere CLO staffer getting all the lime light?

But my god, Peter Stringfellow oozed sleaze. What an awful man. No wonder his net wearing wife was flirting like a mad thing.

5. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

There were always people with other fish to fry, I hope you didn't get too much punishment for your part in the party. Often they were execs. I hope you were not all in Uniform! Hoppy was another ex CO UK who played a mean guitar, though his style was flamenco.

6. johnAnchovie

No, in Tours org we had loads of money. The rest of the base was pretty ragged, but because we were pulling in around 100 grand a week, we were given a lot of slack. Tours was trendy, and we dressed trendy and ran a couple of Mercs.

In the fall out from the night out, I got sent on mission. Hated it, back on subsistence money sorting out damp and dirty orgs like Manchester and Sunderland. Within a few months I got the offer to move to Central Marketing in LA and jumped at it. I could see my UK future... endless dreary missions and a transfer from Tours org to Programs bureau in FOLO. CMU and LA was a much better choice, given the options that were in it at the time.... I could have blown, that would have been much, much smarter...

7. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Who was in Tours then? That must have been more than the GI's of all the UK orgs put together!

8. johnAnchovie

Tours regged for everyone, from IAS to Class IV and took commissions, plus of course Mission Starter Packages at 30grand a pop. The UK orgs without Tours all together could only make on average of 5 - 10 grand on any given week. Tours Org were thus a critical component in the Continental Gross Income stat.

Tours had John Parsell as a non SO reg, working with us more or less as his 9-5 doing tech stuff mainly. Brian Wordie was a reg and David Beal, then me and Craig of course. We also had other public FSMs the like of Lorrain Bulger and her husband. Pavan Fraser also worked with us a lot.

9. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

Well in that case I can see why the COB had to slam it hard, it was way too effective for the UK.

I can imagine Hamish Bulger at Stringfellows, he probably had been there before.

Funny how what ever area you look at, mostly there was a totally different crew after just a few years. A continuous shuffling of personnel. Lorrain Suffrin I remember bullbaiting on the Comm Course, she could make men feel very uncomfortable, especially dressed in her thin red silk dress with no bra, she would have fitted in nicely at Stringfellows then, no navy blue business suits in those days. She was running the Comm Course with Glenn Walker, in London Org, is she ED still?

10. johnAnchovie

Well, Lorrain was a bit aged and weather worn by the time I met her, she had two kids after all. Mind you, despite that, she still had it, a dancer's stance and hips.

I have no idea who is what at SH now, I left in 2006, and as you say, the personnel shifts are rapid. More or less ALL of the crew I worked with are now out of the SO, replaced by who or what, I know not. I do know that Craig was still around a couple of years ago, looking old, I must say. He ended up as a reg in AOSH following a five year stint on the RPF, last I heard anyhoo.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

It's sad when you see people brimming with life turning into navy blue clad clockwork sailors spinning in circles bumping repetitively against a skirting board.

12. johnAnchovie

It is both a tragedy and a travesty.

13. Uk-86

Uk-86 Patron

Pavan & Neil!
    He drove a Porsche until he got busted for speeding too many times and swapped it out for an old beat up ford.
    Came in via Debbie & Andrea - Bournemouth/Brighton mission.

So that's the reason Steve got busted! Hell that's funny. :eyeroll:

Was he replaced by the French lady or was that later?
    How is old Woody doing, Bowie's old drummer.

14. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

Last I heard of David Beal was he was being Declared for the third time.

Apparently he'd taken money out of dead people's accounts.

The Sea Org - putting ethics in on the planet.:clap: