What's new

Who invented / devised the RPF?

I don't know that this is true:

I'd like any kind of verification or repudiation.

Who, if someone other than LRH, did create the RPF?

Is it a source of pride, shame, or what ?

Last edited:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Did Ken Urghart (spelling?) create the RPF?

From every trustable account I have read in the last several years the whole scheme came from Hubbard's demented mind, ultimately he created everything CoS, even that which he stole from others :coolwink:

One of the more concise articles states
The Creation of the RPF
The RPF built directly upon the punitive, some might say, "brainwashing" role that the DPF had developed. Hubbard's motivations for establishing the program in January 1974 included personal retaliation. Having gone ashore in late 1973 to ride his motorcycle on Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Hubbard took a spill and sustained injuries. Recovering on board his flagship, Hubbard blamed the accident on unnamed crew members whom he believed were not carrying out his orders with sufficient diligence. In response, he ordered the creation of the RPF,[7] with the intention of assigning to it anyone who had a "'counter-intention' to his orders or wishes…, along with all trouble-makers and back-sliders" (Miller, 1987: 321; see Kent interview with Pignotti, 1997: 6; Kent interview with Ernesto, 1997: 2).
Full article Solitarytrees
If you desire further reading I can find more fer ya :)

Ken Urquhart the creator of the RPF

I have been investigating this matter carefully because the RPF criminals are my main target.

Hubbard did not do everything all alone, neither David Miscavige. There were more, many more and their names should also go down in history as infamous criminals of Scientology.

I consider that targetting Hubbard or DM alone is a mistake, because there are those who used their power to destroy people's lives.

Staff who were considerate and wanted to help were abused because of their goodwill by the Ken Urquharts and similar characters.

Why have only the names of the victims while the perpetrators of the crimes go unnamed? There is no justice for these type of actions, at least we should denounce them here in a forum for all to see.

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
FORE RUNNERS OF THE RPF

Before the "RPF" there were other forms of "treatment".

In the Sea Project it began in 1967 in Las Palmas with the introduction of the savage ethics penalties for lowered conditions.

Anton James was assigned liability. He was kicked off the ship and forced to live on the dock where he built a hovel from bits of wood, canvas and cardboard. Scraps of food were thrown nto the dock. He had no cutlery or crockery, he had to eat the scraps off the ground.

Later on in 1968 Hubbard devised the "Tank squad". Here lower condition assigned personnel were forced into claustrophobic spaces and lay on their backs, or fronts and chip away at the tank. The idea was to convert the tank from sea water to fresh water so the ship could cross the Atlantic.

Following this there was the "Mud Box Brigade" where individuals had to descend into the stinking bilges and carry out a long cleaning program.

Next came the "overboarding" You already know about that.

Do I need to go on ?.........

Dart

DartSmohen

Yes, and that was insane. Thank for bringing that up.

But the one which stayed was the RPF. And still is there destroying lives.

It is all down to the mindset of the individuals involved. I have already written about how we dealt with things on our RPF. I was bosun, Mick Parkee was my maa and Tony Phipps was a member. We wouldn't stand for the sort of "victim" trip these guys let themselves get into. We did what we wanted and the Estates Chief knew to let us pick our own work details. We also ate better than the crew.

We made sure we had plenty of time for study and processing in order to complete requirements for getting out. There were times the crew ran out of sugar or butter. They came to us to "trade".

When I hear stories about how poor sods are on there for I think they deserve everything they get. You simply don't stand for it. Just say "NO". That soon breaks the mental cage.

Dart

AnonKat

Crusader
wiki

TANK SQUAD could you ad to the wiki ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_Project_Force

The Rehabilitation Project Force developed out of a predecessor group, the Mud Box Brigade, aboard L. Ron Hubbard's private fleet in the late 1960s. The mud box is a small perforated screening box fitted to the suction pipe in the bilge of a ship, and is designed to catch larger solid waste before it can choke the pipeline and potentially damage the pump. The Mud Box Brigade was assigned to clean out the mud box as well as fuel lines, water hues, bilges and so on.[5] As this involved cleaning foul-smelling waste by hand, it was understandably not a popular task.

Hubbard defined the role as being essentially a punishment duty for unsatisfactory workers: "More candidates will be appointed regularly and promptly every time I find a freeloader who is loafing on post and drifting with the wind."[5] "This group is the most downstat [unproductive] and one gets assigned to it by being a freeloader, invisible on post, loafing and really goofing up on one's job."[6] J. Gordon Melton, however, suggested that "Hubbard understood it in terms of making retribution to the people who had been harmed by the nonperformance or incorrect performance of one's assigned tasks."[7]

In 1969 Hubbard replaced the Mud Box Brigade with the Rehabilitation Unit, again intended for those removed or disciplined
Before the "RPF" there were other forms of "treatment".

In the Sea Project it began in 1967 in Las Palmas with the introduction of the savage ethics penalties for lowered conditions.

Anton James was assigned liability. He was kicked off the ship and forced to live on the dock where he built a hovel from bits of wood, canvas and cardboard. Scraps of food were thrown nto the dock. He had no cutlery or crockery, he had to eat the scraps off the ground.

Later on in 1968 Hubbard devised the "Tank squad". Here lower condition assigned personnel were forced into claustrophobic spaces and lay on their backs, or fronts and chip away at the tank. The idea was to convert the tank from sea water to fresh water so the ship could cross the Atlantic.

Following this there was the "Mud Box Brigade" where individuals had to descend into the stinking bilges and carry out a long cleaning program.

Next came the "overboarding" You already know about that.

Do I need to go on ?.........

Dart

uniquemand

Unbeliever
To my knowledge, Ken is pretty forthcoming about this. I don't know of any crime this would fit: illegal order? Mental cruelty? If it was truely the military, whoever did this to their troops would be subject to the same sorts of punishment that the people who devised the Abu Ghraib tortures received. However, since it wasn't the military, and since the orders didn't hold the power of law, I think it would be tough to make a criminal charge stick. Possibly a civil suit. More likely, though, the judge would have to find that the plaintiffs could have left at any time and were under no compulsion to follow the order. Where that was not the case, false imprisonment charges could apply.

Who, if someone other than LRH, did create the RPF?

Ken Urquhart.

The RPF [Rehabilitation Project Force] came into existence while he was in his cabin after the accident. A guy called Gary Watson, who was the port captain, sent in some kind of programme of action to the Commodore and the Commodore set up a unit to take care of rebellious people or those not fitting in. I set up the RPF but it became very much different from what I envisaged - which was a place where you could be removed from the stress and strains of bureaucracy, with some physical work every day to take their attention off themselves and in the other half of day they could audit each other on problems they had.- Ken Urquhart

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/miller/interviews/urquhart.htm

Ken essentially confirmed this to me in a conversation I had with him once at a social gathering. According to Ken, his original intention was emphasis on the REHABILITATION of those put on the rpf. Unfortunately LRH chose to make the emphasis PUNISHMENT.

Mark A. Baker

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Unfortunately LRH chose to make the emphasis PUNISHMENT.

Mark A. Baker

Later emphasis seemed to shift to accommodation of whatever large renovation evolutions were underway (lots of people in the RPF), or alternatively vast numbers of new staff needed for a manning-up evolution (lots of people out of the RPF).

For the six months I was on the PAC RPF, and RPF's RPF, in 1996, the overall emphasis *within* the RPF itself was on rehabilitation, whatever was going on outside. There was very little graduation going on: a "graduation CSW" would be sent up to RTC (this was a huge sucker, containing all the pc folders, beautifully tabbed at all the relevant points to show compliance with the orders regarding RPF completion). It would be several months before the CSW came back disapproved for one arbitrary reason or another.

The RPF I/C, a post outside the RPF itself, was a bit of a cunt. After a couple of months, he was replaced by someone who was *amazing*, who filtered mail quickly, approved sensible CSWs and so forth. He lasted approximately a week, then was put in the RPF's RPF for whatever reason. His replacement was a REAL cunt, who yelled and screamed and didn't pass on mail or CSWs etc., and whose response to people asking to route out (it is allowed by Flag Order!) was to threaten to declare anyone who asked! He was still on post when I left a couple of months later.

Paul

Sharone Stainforth

If Kenneth Urqhart wants to take the blame for the RPF then he should go turn himself into the authorities, where he should face prossicution for crimes against humanity. I am not joking.

However, as far as I am concerned LRH can take full blame for this, how conveniant he's dead and he won't be coming back, and if he ever should show his face again he should be rounded up and face trial, just like Miscavige should for all the harm he has inflicted on scientologists since his take over.Long before the RPF was initiated as being the RPF, we hadf the RPF in the sea org. It was punishment and what it did was fill LRHs need for being a sick control freak, something he did with great aplomb and fanfare.

Life on board the *Apollo* was a bizarre mixture of an educational cruise, being on the *Bounty* with Captain Bligh, and a version of the movie farce 'Carry on Cruising'. An inexperienced crew on a large ship can wreak havoc and the *Apollo* was no exception. Bungled navi- gation, incompetent and ill-trained youngsters cooped up together, it was potentially a recipe for disaster.

Ron solved the problem by making his crew into slaves. Crews mutiny, but not slaves. Penalties were draconian. 'Chain-lockering' was introduced by Hubbard as a punishment. McMaster remembers once being asked by the Master at Arms to come and help her, He pulled up the wedge from the chain-locker, a dank and unhealthy part of the ship into which offenders were flung without food as a punish- ment. Out crawled a little girl who turned out to be a deaf-mute who had been unable to write her name and had incurred the Commodore's wrath. The bilges were another favourite punishment cell (known as 'in the tanking'). Another penalty was being made to climb the dizzy heights to the crow's nest and stay there for a whole watch. But by far the most used (and abused) of the bully-boy tactics was 'overboarding' - Captain Hubbard's version of walking the plank. It originated in Melila when Dutchman Otto Roos, then Senior Auditor, had let a line slip as the *Apollo* was making a botched berthing. Roos is now a rich businessman. His macho manner and tough-guy approach meant that he was rarely on the side of those who were bullied. He discovered the traumatic effects of overboarding on some and declares that he ordered it stopped forthwith. But it didn't prevent McMaster being put over- board four times. The fifth and last time was on 5 November 1969. It was the last straw and when he went ashore he vowed to quit. A young lady chaplain had come to fetch McMaster from the hold because Hubbard wanted to present him with something on the poop deck to 'honour all he had done'. He says he knew right away it was a Judas kiss and Hubbard accused him of betrayal. His daughter Diana 1 (who occupied a senior position on *Apollo*) read out a list of 'high crimes' which McMaster says were all lies, and then eight burly Scientologists flung him overboard. He broke his shoulder in the fall.

1 One of Hubbard's seven children by his three marriages. (The daughter of Mary Sue.)

59 RELIGION INC.

Otto Roos has written a diary of those years on board ship. It is peppered with org-speak, but it is a fascinating insight into the period which is now idealized by Scientologists as a golden period when Ron was developing his higher tech and sailing around the Mediterranean discovering archaeological sites where he had lived in his past lives.

Extracts from Roos' diary have been widely circulated among the independent movement, since he is now among the Suppressive Persons and 'squirrels'. Here are some extracts from the Flying Dutchman's log:

'I was not all innocent and sweetness and light. Far from it. I had decided there were only two kinds of people there: those who got into the tanks and those who put them in, and that I was not going to get in, no way!...Having myself as a child experienced the atrocities of war, when many of my friends hadn't, I wasn't going down into those tanks. Rusty old tanks, way below in the ship, filthy bilge water, no air except via oxygen tubes, and hardly sitting height, in which sinners were put from 24 hours to a week, day and night, to hammer rust off the insides with Masters of Arms checking outside to hear if the hammering con- tinued, and occasional food out of a bucket. This was like the concentration camps of my childhood days....

'I would also have refused the crow's nest, which meant spend- ing 4 hours in the nest and 4 hours on deck, alternating for some 84 hours. The nest, a tiny bucket at the top of the mast, too small to sit or lie in, gets cold at night. One of our SPs (named O'Keefe) had a fear of heights and virtually had to be winched up there and down again every 4 hours.

'The severe "unreasonability" started in earnest in September '67 when Non-Existence included no right to food, and Ray Thacker, huddled in a corner, would be avoided by all and occasionally thrown a crust of bread....

'The Flag Orders at the time (instructions from HQ) usually dealt in "smashing THEM" (our "enemies") and smashing them we did, if not our enemies at least ourselves and most of our port relations.

'To say that LRH could not have known about this, can only be answered by "How could he not have?" on a little ship and holding all the comm. lines, after *originating* the policies. One walks around on a ship and looks. LRH has never been renowned for an inability to look.

60 LIFE ON THE OCEAN WAVE '...There was continued data about SMERSH (from James Bond books), the "Enemy", bankers, psychiatrists, newspapers, port officials, etc. Port flaps were all "their" doing. Our unreasonable (and very often unseamanlike and very unpro- fessional) methods had "nothing to do with it"....

'The billion-year contract was signed of our "free will' (and some Swedes, who objected, were immediately "beached" [sent away], "never to be given upper-level materials", and "declared"). "Beaching" I have seen many times and it did not im- prove port relations. A beachee, put ashore with his passport and no money (except his Sea Org "pay" sometimes) to make his way home, would go to his Consulate for help and have some explaining to do. Another way to bring on the "enemy".

'Nobody ever *dared* say anything about these things and risk losing his OT levels for "making the Commodore wrong".

'Our lives were completely mapped out 24 hours a day, *per- sonal* lives exactly prescribed, especially 2D [relations with the opposite sex]...The day started with "Musters", sing-songing KSW, followed by a mantra of "LRH, LRH, LRH", after which work, work, work, for little or no pay...' Roos was by now a Class XII auditor, the top rank, and was auditing Hubbard himself, a dangerous task which proved his undoing.1 The Commodore had some bad readings on the meter which were duly noted by Roos, but Hubbard would not accept these. The relationship which had flourished with LRH calling Otto up to his cabin to bounce ideas off him, deteriorated rapidly. Hubbard yelled and screamed to see his folders (which is not allowed). When Roos refused, Hubbard sent some 'hefty guys' to collect them and became even more agitated when he saw some meter-reads which did not fit in with either his 'tech' or his self-image. When Mary Sue Hubbard declared that LRH did not 'have such reads', Roos knew his number was up. MSH had previously been an ally and had ripped up the results of several 'Comm Evs' called on Roos for his sexual activities. He had been astute in avoiding super- vision up to this point. Apart from LRH/MSH he had no seniors and only once had fallen foul of Hubbard when he refused a posting to run the new advanced org in Scotland and was put on pot-scrubbing duties as a penance. McMaster was the great 'tech man' and was not a senior post holder. He therefore had no hold over Roos either. Indeed, 1 The auditing of members of LRH's family was case supervised by Ron himself.

Quoted text taken from Shy David's page;

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/rel-inc3.htm

Arthur Dent

With Dart in the RPF in the late 60's and not taking any shit and Paul in 1996 with a very different story, I am very curious how this transition took place over those some 28 years. That's a long time.

LRH dying and Miss Cabbage coming into power aside, 28 years of many people on those posts of RPF I/C and RPF'S RPF I/C, etc. and all those years of people ordering other people to he RPF while knowing what would happen to the person. How many people have been on the RPF over all these years?

If this was war they would be facing charges for war crimes.

I feel very bad for anyone who has been on the RPF and has suffered.
I have empathy for anyone on a post who felt they didn't have a choice but to order someone to the RPF or else they'd be going there or who felt it was justified. It was how the system worked. I get all that. But where does it end?? Who will end it? It certainly must end that is for sure.

When it boils down it was a method of creating criminals and perpetuating evil. The Stanford Experiment only lasted a week
The RPF has been going on since 1967 and it's now 2010 is over.
That's 43 years. That is an insane and evil accomplishment for Hubbard or anyone.

I'm not stating anything new; it just gave me pause. Some days I forget just exactly how evil this is.

AnonKat

Crusader
http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/mcmaster.htm

John McMaster, a dedicated $cientologist in the 1960s, was proclaimed by founder L. Ron Hubbard to be the "world's first real Clear." He was a charismatic promoter and lecturer, and as a key aide to Hubbard contributed greatly to his early financial success. He was the chosen ambassador of $cientology, lending to it his personal image of competence, gentleness and love. Among his accomplishments for Hubbard was the creation of the Power Processes - Grade 7 on the $cientology grade chart. Hubbard promoted him to "Pope" in 1966, a title not to endure. And though Hubbard's income soared, McMaster received none of it.
Under Hubbard, McMaster had no real power. He slowly became disillusioned as he saw $cientology organizations turn authoritarian and brutally punitive, far different from how he had portrayed them. He witnessed the imprisonment of a terrified 4-year-old in the Sea Org's dark, filthy, rat- infested chain locker for the "Ethics offense" of chewing one of Hubbard's papers. Such imprisonment became a common form of staff punishment. "Overboarding" was instituted, with "out-ethics" staff being forcibly thrown into the ocean. McMaster was overboarded several times, the last time being left struggling in the water with a broken collarbone for 3 hours. According to McMaster, in some orgs with no chain locker or overboarding facilities, the offender's head is shoved into a toilet bowl, which is then flushed.

McMaster fell from grace in 1968 when he challenged Hubbard for chain-lockering a little deaf-mute girl for a week. He was subject to hard labor, sleep deprivation and other hardships. "Hubbard wanted to break me," he states. In 1969 McMaster resigned from $cientology, and was declared "suppressive" by Hubbard.

McMaster stated in an interview: "I was so excited about the function of auditing ($cientology counseling) that I was willing to overlook Hubbard's faults - . That was up to a point of course, the final point being my realization that his intentions were entirely self-serving. I saw that he was in it for the money and personal power, and his actual intentions were not as stated. The basic function of auditing is a wonderful thing, but Hubbard perverted it."

Sad to say, John McMaster, Clear #1, was interviewed 2 years before his death in a Manchester England transient hotel (flop house). In a tiny room filled with dead flowers, he told of being tormented and taunted by Hubbard for being gay. He died of cirrosis of the liver due to a long bout of alcoholism - ONE MORE $CIENTOLOGY "SUCCESS STORY."

Steve Walker

Thank you, Mr. Baker. And I agree with Dart. I was on the Flag RPF in 1977. The bosun was Gerry Armstrong! It may have been thought of and used as punishment by many of the exec's that assigned people there, and crew feared it, not so much for the physical nature of it but the elimination of one's status. I recall a few comments from crew that they longed for it for the same reason I found it beneficial - it allowed me to destimulate from the org insanity by placing attention on the MEST universe, plus we did scads of auditing - and we got good at it. This is as Ken Urquhart explained. I recall a similar conversation with him at ACC in 1982 or '83. As Dart explained, it is up to the individual to create the experience. One cannot be degraded without one's permission.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Thank you, Mr. Baker. And I agree with Dart. I was on the Flag RPF in 1977. The bosun was Gerry Armstrong! It may have been thought of and used as punishment by many of the exec's that assigned people there, and crew feared it, not so much for the physical nature of it but the elimination of one's status. I recall a few comments from crew that they longed for it for the same reason I found it beneficial - it allowed me to destimulate from the org insanity by placing attention on the MEST universe, plus we did scads of auditing - and we got good at it. This is as Ken Urquhart explained. I recall a similar conversation with him at ACC in 1982 or '83. As Dart explained, it is up to the individual to create the experience. One cannot be degraded without one's permission.

It is up to all the individuals involved to create the experience.

Not just one individual.

A person can be degraded, mutilated, harmed, and violated completely without his consent. He may choose to respond however he wants. But other people, and their actions, DO exist.

Criminals are those who commit criminal acts. Those acts are criminal, no matter the response by their victims.

L Ron Hubbard taught you that you are responsible for his criminal acts against you.

So the joke, I guess, is still on you.

It is up to all the individuals involved to create the experience.

Not just one individual.

A person can be degraded, mutilated, harmed, and violated completely without his consent. He may choose to respond however he wants. But other people, and their actions, DO exist.

Criminals are those who commit criminal acts. Those acts are criminal, no matter the response by their victims.

L Ron Hubbard taught you that you are responsible for his criminal acts against you.

So the joke, I guess, is still on you.

Responsibility is not the same as blame nor does the acceptance of responsibility excuse others from their responsibilities.

For an "eastern take" have another look at karma, Al. I know you've been studying it.

Mark A. Baker

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Responsibility is not the same as blame nor does the acceptance of responsibility excuse others from their responsibilities.

For an "eastern take" have another look at karma, Al. I know you've been studying it.

Mark A. Baker

I'm not sure of your point, Mark.

A criminal's acts are his own, and they exist.

His victim's acts are their own, too.

L Ron Hubbard, the criminal, worked very hard to get his victims to accept responsibility for his crimes, and to even justify them.

He made it part of the teachings of Scientology.

Institutional false imprisonment, kidnapping, and slavery - which are part of the RPF in Scientology are criminal acts - whether the victims of the RPF believe so or not.

Div6

Crusader
I'm not sure of your point, Mark.

A criminal's acts are his own, and they exist.

His victim's acts are their own, too.

L Ron Hubbard, the criminal, worked very hard to get his victims to accept responsibility for his crimes, and to even justify them.

He made it part of the teachings of Scientology.

Institutional false imprisonment, kidnapping, and slavery - which are part of the RPF in Scientology are criminal acts - whether the victims of the RPF believe so or not.

Al has a point here. The "curve ball" in this subject is in the PTS\SP tech, were it is explicitly forbidden to name "good hats" as SP's. That is a sure route to 100's (if not thousands) of hours of FPRD, and other forms of mental\spiritual abuse. The whole "management can do no evil" kick IS the "ser fac" of corporate Scn. THAT is the core of the institutional insanity.