Who or What is the "You" in Scientology?

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
I would love to address this question specifically to Roger or Paul or Mark or Vinaire or Alan or Alex or Colleen or DartSmohen or Fluffy or any other of those well-versed in the fundamental theory of scientology. But alas I cannot. For the simple reason this is not an auditorium, it is a message board for goodness sakes. Lol.

Nevertheless the question posed remains.

Who or What is the "You" in Scientology?

I believe in this question (and answer) lies the revelation of why scientology (as a philosophical/religious doctrine) is both good 'and' evil. In large measure.

To wit: Mr. Hubbard supposed the Person and the Thetan were One Being. Which I suppose is the cause of much, if not all, of the remarkable insanity that followed such a line of unchallenged philosophical thought. And which also explains why the (generally) young, ego tends to admire such theory.

The Person and the Thetan are not One Being. They are Two.

In virtually every worldwide religious persuasion preceeding Ron's, the distinction between ego and spirit was at minimum subtly implied. Wherein the need for some sort of personal (emotional) purification was called for in order to experience Self-Realization. So to speak. But in the religion of Scientology (for the first time in history) such individual emotional purification was nonsense, for the person himself or herself was God, that is to say, was a Thetan. And soon to be 'Operating', following Ron's research and paying for his way.

Which is to say, the 'You' in Scientology is a God. And always was a God. And always will be a God. And that 'You' is, well, 'you'. An attractive proposition to be sure to the ego whose self-infatuation knows no bounds.

But on closer inspection the former religious persuasions of the world were not lacking. For a seed and a tree are not the same thing. For the simple reason a seed is a potentiality and a tree is an actuality. And the person is the seed and the Spirit/Thetan the actuality.

Thus we had messengers 'wet behind the ears' running the show of scientology in the early years (in what all knew but few said was absurd). And now have flat out psychopaths running the show, in the later years (in which the absurdity has not gone unspoken). So to speak.

Why? Because the Person and the Thetan are not One in the Same Being.

Ron thought he was a Thetan. But he was not. Elsewise he would not have ended up as he did. In spite of all the egomaniacs in the world (together) rationalizing his pathetic and pitiful demise.

In spiritual life a mans worldly death is a testament to his spiritual life in the world. Thus all of the great masters died in honor. Whilst Hubbard died in vain.

The Person is not a Thetan, no matter how hard scientologists want to believe it (while calling their believing 'knowing').

mm&i

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Yeah, I was never really comfortable with that. I was comfortable with Dianetics, and with processes which were aimed at freeing your viewpoint, etc., but it was a stretch for me to accept the spiritual being part. That was indoctrination, for me, and I shed it immediately on leaving the Church.

The "me" is the person having the experiences I'm having and adopting the personae that I consider effective in the environment or situation I find myself in. I think the concept of spirit is additive, speculative, and adds nothing of any value to the conversation. Who or what am I? I am me.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
mm&i, I had thought of that too. . . I had a friend who studies "A Course in Miracles" which talks extensively about the ego. . .and I love Tolle, who does the same. As I learned about that, I kept wondering how the ego fit into Scientology and the thought occurred to me more than once that LRH may have been processing to make the ego more powerful, yet under his control. . . . all the time saying it was the spirit he was addressing (the ego would love that)

I haven't worked through that all yet though, so I'm really looking forward to people's thoughts on this. . . .

Great thread!!! :thumbsup:

-:) TL

olska

Silver Meritorious Patron
A person (or other living entity, such as a dog, horse, cat, tree ... etc.) may very well be essentially a "spirit" -- or "thetan" if you prefer that term.

That doesn't mean they, as an individual, are or ever were or ever will be GOD.

How about as a starting point of discussion you first define/ explain/ describe "GOD."

(A good exercise for your puny little human intellect -- one that has challenged thinkers ever since there have been thinkers)

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
You are you and that you (whatever it is) is represented by the Greek letter theta.

You (all of us) have a habit of mocking up a personality, ego, persona, beingness - call it what you like - and presenting that to the world as an acceptable creation and something to Be. It is this creation that common society and early religions refer to as "you". But in fact it is not you, you are the creator of the personality and you have misidentified yourself with it.

So the people who say you only live once are correct - as long as they are referring tio the created (mocked-up) beingness. And the people who say you will live forever are correct since they in turn are referring to the mocker-upper of the persona.

get it now?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
You are you and that you (whatever it is) is represented by the Greek letter theta.

You (all of us) have a habit of mocking up a personality, ego, persona, beingness - call it what you like - and presenting that to the world as an acceptable creation and something to Be. It is this creation that common society and early religions refer to as "you". But in fact it is not you, you are the creator of the personality and you have misidentified yourself with it.

So the people who say you only live once are correct - as long as they are referring tio the created (mocked-up) beingness. And the people who say you will live forever are correct since they in turn are referring to the mocker-upper of the persona.

get it now?

It's a good explanation.

It's one that would be at home in Scientology, but also in a lot of others isms and ologies as well.

Well done, Leon.

Does that bird ever poop?