What's new

Whole Foods and Starbucks Sponsoring Ladies with Babies

Time to call out Whole Foods and Starbucks.

On Tony Ortega's Sunday Funnies he posted with Ladies with Babies Facebook Mother's Day flyer (which was actually plagiarized from a Philip Morris ad…). http://tonyortega.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/lwb-email-4.jpg

There is also http://happyhouse.org/site/

LWB FB is at https://www.facebook.com/ladieswithbabies
Flyer is at http://tonyortega.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/lwb-email-4.jpg
(As an aside, the original Philip Morris ad is at http://www.refinedguy.com/2012/06/19/50-hilarious-vintage-cigarette-ads/#30 )

But the point is they are advertising Whole Foods Arroyo Parkway and Starbucks as sponsors

The LWB FB page is swarming with links for Scilons. https://www.facebook.com/ladieswithbabies/timeline?filter=2

Whole Foods Arroyo Parkway is 1-626-204-2266 and their FB is https://www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsArroyo.
Emails [email protected],
[email protected] , [email protected], sp.pr@wholefoods.com.

Aslansown and I have both emailed Whole Foods regarding "Ladies with Babies", and Aslansown got a reply (I just emailed this morning and did not hear back yet).

Here is what Aslansown emailed to the two CEOs ([email protected], [email protected]) and the regional manager.

I was very concerned when I saw a flyer that said that you are sponsoring a Scientology event on May 4th in Pasadena (flyer attached). I became aware of this when I read today's post onTonyOrtega.org .

I know that part of your mission is to be involved in the community, which is highly commendable. This time, however, I think you have missed the mark by sponsoring an event for an abusive cult.

This is not just my opinion. Since 2009 the Tampa Bay Tribune has done extensive investigative reporting on Scientology. Time magazine did a cover story entitled "Scientology:The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power" (mirrored because it is no longer online). You only have to google "scientology abuse" to see pages and pages of links to first-person accounts of abuses. Also, please google "Operation Snow White" and "Operation Freakout" to see the unbelievable lengths that this group will go to.

I know this may sound preposterous, but if you read even a little of the reports I have linked to, you will see what this group is really about. I absolutely hold to the freedom that anyone should be allowed to believe whatever they wish, but it is the abusive behavior of this cult that I and many others take issue with.

I hope that you will reconsider your sponsorship of this event. I respectfully request that you reply to this email so that I will know where you stand.

Then Aslansown got a reply from the Regional person:

My name is Cindy and I am the Marketing Team Leader for Whole Foods Market Arroyo. Thank you for reaching out to us.

I can understand your concern, but allow me to assure you that we are not supporting Scientology (or any religion or belief) in any way. The organization that we are supporting is Ladies with Babies (https://www.facebook.com/ladie.... They came to us requesting support and an opportunity to partner for their upcoming event. The event is open to the public and the church is not involved in any way (besides just providing space) - I know this because I attended in the past. Ladies with Babies itself is a non-denominational group.

Hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, please e-mail or call.

Cindy Estorga
Marketing Team Leader

Whole Foods Market Arroyo Parkway

tel: 626.204.2266
fax: 626.204.2267

[email protected]

Aslansown continues: Since she already mentioned it was in a "church" I didn't write about that, but tried to get them to see the connections between another (Nancy Cartwright) program that uses TWTH and that the LwB FB page had fundraising flyers to fund those programs on their page, so there was a connection.
Then I sent the following email to the two CEOs and Cindy:

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Cindy Estorga was nice enough to reply this morning, so I have added her name on this email to give her more information about the connection of events that Whole Foods sponsors and Scientology.

As Cindy pointed out, the public is invited to participate in these events and they seem "non-denominational" since the connection to Scientology is hidden.
I am just trying to give you a reason to do more research before you sponsor an event (any event).

Since I sent my email I have found out that your logo is prominently displayed as a sponsor of several "Ladies with Babies" events (including their convention). While you may believe that you are supporting a non-denominational group, some of the other events you have sponsored (at Nancy Cartwright's House - the 2013 flyer attached) are fundraisers for Happy House (happyhouse.org) which uses a program called "Good Choices". These flyers are found on the LwB FB page, showing a link between the groups.

It all sounds innocent enough until the Happy House website and the Good Choices website reveal that the program uses a Scientology booklet as its guide: "Happy House’s activities since its inception and the Happy House Good Choices™ program are based on the booklet The Way to Happiness®."

This publication is written by the founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard. Scientology routinely denies that it has anything to do with this booklet and has tried to get it into schools in many states. Once the relationship to Scientology is discovered, the states/schools have denied it on the basis of separation of church and state (I'm most familiar with Illinois' decision.) It's a common tactic to get these booklets into organizations and schools as a way to recruit new members.

Just a few months ago, France's highest court convicted Scientology as an "organized fraud" and just last month federal prosecutors in Belgium have taken the cult to trial and have characteri z ed the movement as a " criminal organisation ." In theory it could be banned in Belgium if convicted. (And by the way, did you know that they believe that psychiatrists caused the Holocaust? http://www.cchr.org/documentar... ? (CCHR is another front group for Scientology).

I know I probably sound like a conspiracy theorist or a nut (!). If it helps my credibility a little, I can tell you that I have a Master's degree and have worked in Fortune 100 companies most of my life. But I am one of many hundreds of thousands of people who are trying to reveal the truth about Scientology.

Again, my only motive is that you will do more research on the groups that you sponsor, perhaps by looking at a few of the links in my emails.
Thank you all for taking the time to read my long emails, and I appreciate the fact that you responded.

Here is what I emailed (Free Minds Free Hearts) to [email protected],
[email protected] , [email protected]:

As a regular customer of Whole Foods, I am writing to express my deep concern about your sponsorship of the Ladies with Babies event and convention.

This is being put on by a Scientology front group. Ana Candela Grinta, who runs the LWB Facebook page, is a scientologist. There are links on the LWB FB page to Scientologist Nancy Cartwright’s Happy House fundraiser, to Pasadena Scientologist Catherine Stroud’s recruitment event at the Pasadena Scientologist headquarters, to Scientologist Lee Parrish’s dental blog, etc.

It is not surprising that a Scientologist would want to advertise other Scientologists and their events on their website. What concerns me is that they are not upfront about who they are. Why are they embarrassed to admit they are Scientologists? It is because they know how scary and dangerous their cult seems to the outside world. For example, they use the Way to Happiness booklets - which is a Scientology publication to advertise and recruit – it is scientology’s effort to publicize itself without making a specific link to the cult upfront.

So what is my problem? It is not the Scientology beliefs, it is their actions. This group is
only considered a church in the US because they harassed and intimidated the IRS (thousands of lawsuits, background investigations, etc.) into throwing in the towel and giving them tax-exempt status. In France, Scientology was convicted recently of fraud for lying about
what they offer and in Belgium they are also on trial as a criminal organization.

Scientology is a dangerous mind control cult. One of their most toxic policies is “disconnection” which tears families apart, forcing parents and children to disconnect from each other if one party questions scientology in any way.

Ladies with Babies is very ironic, because Scientology is widely known for forcing/coercing young women in their billion-year contract “Sea Organization” to have abortions, since children detract from their time at work. There is currently a lawsuit in federal court, by Laura DeCresenczo (Diekman), regarding the fact she was coerced to have an abortion at age 17. She was told that otherwise her parents and partner would need to “disconnect” from her, not to mention she would lose her eternal salvation. Tony Ortega, an investigative reporter who blogs regularly on Scientology, has a post on the lawsuit at http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/... The case is also covered on https://www.youtube.com/watch?... There is also an affidavit by Margery Wakefield, who says, “I became pregnant six times in Scientology, and was forced to have six abortions. I was sent to California social services to arrange the abortions, then given
bus fare and an address of an abortion clinic, and told not to come back until the abortion was completed.” (http://www.forum.exscn.net/sho.... There are also stories at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/... - from Gary Morehead, a Scientologist who identified how to convince women to go to taxpayer funded abortion clinics, and Claire Headley, who has since escaped from Scientology and started a family with her husband.

They consider children to be little adults – responsible for their own actions – the founder Hubbard has locked children in chain lockers for disobedience. http://www.spaink.net/cos/mpou...
LWB/Scientology is using your logo in their advertising, which unfortunately links Whole Foods with a dangerous mind control cult.

Please do some research and find out how dangerous this group really is before you put your good name (and logo) on the line with them.

I am not signing my name because my sister is still in the Sea Organization. She had an abortion and she also has disconnected from me in the past. If my criticism is not anonymous, she will be forced to disconnect from me again and I do not want to risk that.

Last edited:

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Great work exposing this and running with it.

For those who didn't read the comments on the Sunday funnies where this promo was highlighted, the graphic used to promote this event within Scientology pinched an image from an old cigarette advert.

Scientology - without class since...well, since forever....:omg:

Leland

Crusader
I noticed that galpin ford in van nuys is also sponsoring happy house too.

I wrote them an email about it.

and FOX...... Too. They should be contacted, they are a sponcer. If Nancy Cartwright is using the Simpsons to promote the cult of Scientology, FOX should be contacted.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Happy House looks bad! Definantly a front group for Scientology started by Nancy Cartwright.

http://happyhouse.org/site/

looks like TWTH has now morphed into " good choices club " for kids.

All businesses sponsoring this group should be emailed.

Last edited:

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron
hi,.... do I understand it correctly....?
they are OK with $cios using that .....? atleast that group,which is not $cio group but IT IS....?

so we just have to push more e-mails to wake up people ,there...?:unsure:

I will - hope it helps.....:yes:

Thanks to Aslansown who tracked down the Starbucks contact info -

From Aslansown...here's some of the top people. I would imagine they all use the same email naming convention @starbucks.com:
Howard Schultz - [email protected] Chairman, Pres CEO
Cliff Burrows, Group President U.S.
Sharon Rothstein, Global Chief Marketing Officer
Vivek Varma, Exec VP, Public Affairs public affairs
Lucy Lee Helm, Exec. Exec. VP, General Counsel & Secretary
Troy Alstead, COO

Then I thought we should send it to someone who's over the Califonia Marketing, since these guys may be too high up (except I definitely think it should go to Schultz and probably Varma) - Schultz is known for calling store managers to congratulate them, etc. so he might really want to know.

I found the list of business contacts but there's no search feature and it's not by state so it may take a long time to find the names. Also looks like you have to register If you have their name it would probably be[email protected] . https://connect.data.com/direc...

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Looks like I will have to take the Starbucks Gift card that I got for Xmas into Starbucks and not so quietly ask for a refund. :yes:

The person who bought it for me would be infuriated if ANY support was given by STarbucks to end up in assisting scientology. I talk to a lot of people in my community.

This is what I predicted the cult would do this year. Since their name is complete dirt, they are pushing out the front group tactics big time.

gloriana

Patron
I wanted to add Whole Foods-specific suggestions to this important effort, from a former WF marketing employee:

Their standard response is to send emails directly to the local level to be handled - friend says you're doing it right to keep writing directly to "Wacky Mackey" and Walter Robb. Keep John Mackey on all emails - he makes downline management incredibly twitchy. You might also want to add Patrick Bradley, president of the Southern Pacific region, and the regional marketing manager (who I couldn't find.) There's also a regional marketing coordinator, Andi Dowda.

The decision to sponsor this event was most likely made at the store level by marketing team leader Cindy Estorga. They're not barred from sponsoring religious groups, but are supposed to vet them VERY carefully for controversy of any kind. Friend's immediate response was "Somebody didn't do their vetting first."

The best way to get WF's attention is through social media; they monitor full time, real time and are extremely sensitive to public feedback. Hit the national, regional, and store-specific sites.

On Twitter, message @WholeFoods @WholeFoodsPR @WFMLosAngeles and @WFMArroyo. Ask them "Why is @WholeFoods sponsoring a #Scientology front group?" and link to a copy of the flyer. Another good question would be "Did @WholeFoodsPR give #Scientology permission to use your logo?"

On Facebook, raise the issue here:

www.facebook.com/wholefoods
www.facebook.com/pages/Whole-Foods-Market-Los-Angeles
www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsArroyo

On Instagram, here:

instagram.com/wholefoodsmarket#
instagram.com/wfmlosangeles#
instagram.com/wfmarroyo#

On Pinterest, here:

www.pinterest.com/wholefoods/‎

Any or all of this will help get them jumping.

ETA Hit national sites first, and copy the Arroyo location - part of the marketing team leader's job is to monitor the store local sites, and it needs to go bigger than just the Arroyo location.

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I wanted to add Whole Foods-specific suggestions to this important effort, from a former WF marketing employee:

<snip of very informative post>

This is awesome information to have for any issue there is with Whole Foods. (I shop there a lot.)

Thanks!

And more from Aslansown over at Tony Ortega's blog:

I found at least one VP whose area is Southern California and came up with this person.
Nancy Bennett
, Regional Vice President at Starbucks Coffee Company, 
Greater Los Angeles Area
http://www.yatedo.com/p/Nancy+Bennett/normal/62709f1f00c8df3343f8816360927bcf

So it looks like Starbucks -

Howard Schultz, Chairman, Pres CEO - [email protected]
Cliff Burrows, Group President U.S. -
[email protected]
Sharon Rothstein, Global Chief Marketing Officer-
[email protected]
Vivek Varma, Exec VP, Public Affairs public affairs - [email protected]
Lucy Lee Helm, Exec. Exec. VP, General Counsel & Secretary - ?? [email protected] hard to guess email with two middle names
Troy Alstead, COO - [email protected]
Nancy Bennett
Regional Vice President at Starbucks Coffee Company
Greater Los Angeles Area- [email protected]
[email protected]

I am emailing them now...

EDITED TO SAY THE EMAILS BOUNCED BACK FROM SCHULTZ, HELM, AND BENNETT

Last edited:

gloriana

Patron
This is awesome information to have for any issue there is with Whole Foods. (I shop there a lot.)

Thanks!

My pleasure - WF is all over social media, and they're rightfully proud of it. It varies by regions, but in the LA area, unifying the social media presence is probably Andi Dowda's whole job. I've personally seen the Mackey twitch effect in a store in my area, and it's unbelievable - far exceeds anything else I've seen in corporate America. He's a real piece of work...

Starbucks might respond to the same high/low approach - wouldn't hurt to try the social media route and get middle and local management involved there, too.

I spent many years in the automotive business, so I can tell you that Galpin Ford sponsors almost anybody and everybody in their community at the drop of a hat - that's what car dealers do. I've seen their loaner vehicles in I don't know how many movies. And I wonder if they might have the cult's fleet account - with dealers, sales always come first. They're going to be most responsive to contacts from the LA area. That said, Bert Boeckmann, the president/owner, is super-religious, involved in LA-area interfaith groups and might well be personally offended by some of Hubbard's blather about Jesus (eta: and abortion, etc.) A thoughtful personal contact with him might get you farther than you think.

Galpin's corporate Twitter is @galpinmotors
Corporate Facebook is www.facebook.com/GalpinMotors
Ford store's Facebook is www.facebook.com/GalpinFord

ETA: Don't bother engaging with the live chat on their websites - it's run by an outsourced marketing group.

At any car dealership, the person to reach is the general sales manager, in this case Terry Miller. The Galpin group also has a marketing manager, Jeff Skobin.

http://www.galpin.com/galpin-people

Last edited:

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
FYI, here are the two ads so you can see them together.

The first ad is the Ladies with Babies event ad (with Whole Foods, Starbucks, etc., sponsors at bottom). This was posted at the last Sunday Funnies edition at Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.

The second ad is the ad for Phillip Morris cigarettes found by Natalia 2.0, a regular commenter at the Underground Bunker.

lwb-email-4.jpg

22-philip-morris-cigarette-ad-baby-mother-born-gentle.jpg

There seems to be a theme that these front groups such as Happy House and Ladies with Babies all are hiding their connection to the cult. Is this more true now or has it always been the case?

Happy House looks bad! Definantly a front group for Scientology started by Nancy Cartwright.

http://happyhouse.org/site/

looks like TWTH has now morphed into " good choices club " for kids.

All businesses sponsoring this group should be emailed.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
My pleasure - WF is all over social media, and they're rightfully proud of it. It varies by regions, but in the LA area, unifying the social media presence is probably Andi Dowda's whole job. I've personally seen the Mackey twitch effect in a store in my area, and it's unbelievable - far exceeds anything else I've seen in corporate America. He's a real piece of work...

Starbucks might respond to the same high/low approach - wouldn't hurt to try the social media route and get middle and local management involved there, too.

I spent many years in the automotive business, so I can tell you that Galpin Ford sponsors almost anybody and everybody in their community at the drop of a hat - that's what car dealers do. I've seen their loaner vehicles in I don't know how many movies. And I wonder if they might have the cult's fleet account - with dealers, sales always come first. They're going to be most responsive to contacts from the LA area. That said, Bert Boeckmann, the president/owner, is super-religious, involved in LA-area interfaith groups and might well be personally offended by some of Hubbard's blather about Jesus (eta: and abortion, etc.) A thoughtful personal contact with him might get you farther than you think.

Galpin's corporate Twitter is @galpinmotors
Corporate Facebook is www.facebook.com/GalpinMotors
Ford store's Facebook is www.facebook.com/GalpinFord

ETA: Don't bother engaging with the live chat on their websites - it's run by an outsourced marketing group.

At any car dealership, the person to reach is the general sales manager, in this case Terry Miller. The Galpin group also has a marketing manager, Jeff Skobin.

http://www.galpin.com/galpin-people

If ESMB had a budget, we'd definitely hire you. :p

gloriana

Patron
If ESMB had a budget, we'd definitely hire you. :p

Aww, thanks. It's my birthday gift to the tiniest tyrant, may his frustrations wax long and his height ever decrease.

Friend has supplied a link to the Whole Foods customer forum, open for public comment. Run by corporate marketing:

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/forums

Has anyone advised Philip Morris that their intellectual property has been stolen? Heh.

Leland

Crusader
Aww, thanks. It's my birthday gift to the tiniest tyrant, may his frustrations wax long and his height ever decrease.

Friend has supplied a link to the Whole Foods customer forum, open for public comment. Run by corporate marketing:

www.wholefoodsmarket.com/forums

Has anyone advised Philip Morris that their intellectual property has been stolen? Heh.

I have done so.

Here one can post a message to Philip Morris:

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/cms/contact-us/contact_us.aspx

Leland

Crusader
I've been trying to figure out how to contact FOX, as they are a sponsor of Happy House. So far no luck.

It is owned corporately by 21st Century Fox....and there are a few Australians on its board of Directors.....

It might be possible to contact one of the board members thru some of the other companies they work for.

http://www.21cf.com/Management/BoardofDirectors/