What's new

Why Did Aftermath Never Do an Episode on the Death of Kyle Brennan?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Two things about that. miscavige could have issued an order that Mike could only have his passport to get there but he had to turn it over to whoever Miscavige would have with him.

Mike was in the hole, he would not be able to receive money or have contacts while in there. How would Mike get the contact info? How would he be able to communicate on Blackberries issued by the SO without Miscavige knowing? He did not use the internet chat rooms right away but would need the contact info prior.
He considered leaving much earlier, but he stayed so as not to get disconnected from all his family.

I'm sure he had plenty of time to gather contacts. And I believe some OSA personnel had the ability to communicate directly with declared SP's when needed, so he may have had access that way.

freethinker

Sponsor
He considered leaving much earlier, but he stayed so as not to get disconnected from all his family.

I'm sure he had plenty of time to gather contacts. And I believe some OSA personnel had the ability to communicate directly with declared SP's when needed, so he may have had access that way.
I believe Tom Devocht left after Rinder. I think Miscavige would have suspected something if he had been planning a long time. Miscavige doesn't trust people even when they tell him the truth.

There weren't that many people who left before Rinder and Marty who would actually trust them, if any. It was Mike and Marty who hunted people down who blew to get them to return.

JustSheila

Crusader
Back to the OP:

“Scientology and the Aftermath” is not a whodunnit crime show or a sensationalistic show. It’s not about how things looked. If they didn’t have the supporting evidence and there were too many legal liabilities from the cult of Scientology and evidence was too controversial, they wouldn’t air it. It’s not about opinions, just facts supported by evidence. They’re not masochists hoping for lawsuits.

Like duh! :duh:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Back to the OP:

“Scientology and the Aftermath” is not a whodunnit crime show or a sensationalistic show. It’s not about how things looked. If they didn’t have the supporting evidence and there were too many legal liabilities from the cult of Scientology and evidence was too controversial, they wouldn’t air it. It’s not about opinions, just facts supported by evidence. They’re not masochists hoping for lawsuits.

Like duh! :duh:
You haven't read this thread, have you?

Nor have you visited Victoria Britton's blog on the death of her son, Kyle, have you?

Have you at least read the transcript of the radio interview Victoria and Rick Britton did which is published in the OP? That interview went out on the air, by the way. And the little public radio station that aired it was not sued.

Why would Scientology and the Aftermath, a show on the A&E Network, be too afraid to do something that a little radio station in Charlottesville Virginia was "brave" enough to do?

Come on, Sheila.

The fact is that Scientology and the Aftermath turned down the episode because Mike Rinder wanted this story spiked. It should have been Episode 1 of Season 1 of Scientology and the Aftermath IF Leah Remini's Scientology and the Aftermath was the show it claimed to be.

Because they never revealed anything that would bring about a federal investigation or a review of Scientology's tax exempt status - two things they claimed they wanted - even though there were stories like Kyle Brennan's to be told...which they never told...

...Come on Sheila...

Think!

JustSheila

Crusader
You haven't read this thread, have you?

Nor have you visited Victoria Britton's blog on the death of her son, Kyle, have you?

Have you at least read the transcript of the radio interview Victoria and Rick Britton did which is published in the OP? That interview went out on the air, by the way. And the little public radio station that aired it was not sued.

Why would Scientology and the Aftermath, a show on the A&E Network, be too afraid to do something that a little radio station in Charlottesville Virginia was "brave" enough to do?

Come on, Sheila.

The fact is that Scientology and the Aftermath turned down the episode because Mike Rinder wanted this story spiked. It should have been Episode 1 of Season 1 of Scientology and the Aftermath IF Leah Remini's Scientology and the Aftermath was the show it claimed to be.

Because they never revealed anything that would bring about a federal investigation or a review of Scientology's tax exempt status - two things they claimed they wanted - even though there were stories like Kyle Brennan's to be told...which they never told...

Come on Sheila...

Think!

I didn’t state my “feelings” or opinions. Just the facts. I’ve read plenty about it, and I know more personally about the show’s strict requirements for evidence than you do. Stop trying to manipulate others with emotions and ad homs. It’s pathetic.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I didn’t state my “feelings” or opinions. Just the facts. I’ve read plenty about it, and I know more personally about the show’s strict requirements for evidence than you do. Stop trying to manipulate others with emotions and ad homs. It’s pathetic.
Did you read the transcript in the OP?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Yet you said this after you read that:

Please explain.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Given the way Afterath shows were formatted, how exactly would Kyle's story fit? Have Kyle's mom on to state her speculations? If Kyle was murdered, the only motive would have been to stop Kyle from getting his father in trouble over the apartment fire. How does this relate to co$ abuses?

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Thank you very much for this, Caroline.

This is very valuable.
:hattip:

There's a bit more to add to the timeline for Rinder and the Hole.

John Sweeney said:
In October 2006 the Church was set to open its spanking new £25 million centre in the City of London. Our Great British Weather, sadly, rained on their parade. Drizzle, drizzle, relentless drizzle. I came along to do a spot of filming from the street. As soon as we started, an official of the Church, Janet Laveau, asked us to stop filming. I told her we worked for BBC Panorama and the law allowed us to film in a London street. She said that they had blocked the street, it was a private function and she had a problem with Panorama. Janet was referring to the BBC Panorama documentary, ‘The Road to Total Freedom? filmed in 1987, 23 years before I joined the BBC. I repeated that that the BBC is allowed to film in London streets. We could not film inside the Church (or Org, in SciSpeak) but we could film on the street. I pointed out to her that had I been a car, she would have had a point because cars were not allowed on the road today. But I was not a car.

We filmed a top City of London copper, Chief Superintendant Kevin Hurley, splendidly reassuring in his uniform, walk up to the podium. The police chief praised the Church as a 'force for good’ in London, 'raising the spiritual wealth of society’.

It was time for the pope of Scientology to wow the faithful. David Miscavige bounded onto the stage to the rapture of the crowd, not perhaps as big as the organizers had planned. The Church of Scientology claims to have more than 10 million devotees worldwide, with 123,000 in the UK but the crowd did not look much bigger than a thousand people, if that. Quite a few seemed to be European, not British, as if they had been shipped in to bulk the numbers. But they all loved Miscavige. In the flesh, he has the manner of a high-end estate agent, smooth, polished, markedly short. The drizzle never stopped. The umbrellas twirled prettily.

'Thank you very much,’ said Miscavige. ‘It’s a pleasure to join you on a day that genuinely qualifies as momentous...’
(Church of Fear, p. 17-18)

Sweeney filming on location at the London Ideal Org Opening would have made him an active security threat. According to scientology.org, the Grand Opening occurred on October 22, 2006. DM apparently sprung Rinder from the Hole some time between then and early March, 2007.

AryaZ

Seeking truth and retribution
Note: If Miscavige allowed him that money, he never called it stolen. Otherwise it was Mike's money so how did he get a hold of it?

Mike was listed on the Senior Honor Roll in Impact Magazine 114 ca. Sept 2006.

So Mike may have had money in the bank from commissions earned from selling IAS memberships.

Senior Honor Roll:

Awarded to people who have helped 100 or more people to become members of the IAS or have contributed to IAS expansion in some stellar fashion.

https://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/m/mike-rinder.html

freethinker

Sponsor

AryaZ

Seeking truth and retribution
Does Miscavige actually pay out to SO members?
I wasn't a SO member. I was on staff at a Class V org. But, I heard SO were paid commission on IAS donations. The org I was at, pooled the commission and split it amongst all staff. I'm not sure if it was always that way but it was from 96-99 and 2008-2011. I vaguely remember how it worked.

However, when I was being recruited for the SO, I had a consideration on the low/pay and I was told (by Gavin Potter)
I could earn commission on book sales and IAS donations. But he lied to me about a lot of things lol . So, maybe he lied about that too.

Last edited:

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Does Miscavige actually pay out to SO members?
Yes ... the pay varies each week based on the Gross Income for that week (and very often it was zero) but there are no living expenses so a frugal person could save it. Mike was an Exec for many years so his income would have been higher than that of most when he was on post.

This is from memory or may even be my dub-in but it makes sense to me and I'm pretty sure he did say it somewhere. He made the decision to leave and paid in advance for a few nights in a cheap boarding house well away from wherever he was initially staying, then he pulled the pin and then did whatever he had to do to contact a trusted person (or perhaps a few ) to get some assistance via phone. He would have just dumped the sim in the cofs phone and replaced it with a use as you go one. That feeling of immediate freedom would have been overwhelming as he walked the streets of London.

Missionaires are given enough money to survive on and pay for whatever they will need ... so presumably he pulled it all and used it to get through the next few days, that's what I would have done anyway.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's my 15 minutes of fame for you all to marvel at:

Iirc I emailed Mike Rinder about whether or not our story was something Aftermath was interested in. Caz and I had talked about it and she was happy to do it. We got emails from I think a producer and then it all fizzled out. No sorry we can't do your story.

Never bothered us. I've done enough media to know that even the best stories can be dropped for the most obscure reasons. Yes it would have been nice to have been part of an Emmy Award winning show (although this was pre- first season) but cest la vie.

Sorry Al but I think you may be reading too much into this rejection. Just my opinion based on limited experience - I could well be wrong though

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
For people who still believe that Kyle Brennan killed himself, and was not murdered, there is some very simple factual evidence in this case that you should examine.

He wasn't even my son and this post is still hard to write.

But whatever - welcome to the viciousness of David Miscavige's Scientology.

This is a post by Kyle's mother, Victoria Britton, which shows the crime scene evidence that proves it is highly probable that Kyle did not kill himself, and which every professional criminologist and expert - outside of David Miscavgie's Clearwater PD - agrees with.

Go to Kyle's Mother's blog and read it.

Because of David Miscavige's corrupt crime machine in Clearwater, Florida, Victoria Britton is alone, having to post this information and fight this fight by herself. When you go to this link to read this, leave her a comment telling her that, as an an Ex Scientologist who is interested in exposing the criminality and abuse of Scientology, you care about this story. And that you will help.

https://vbreton2062.wordpress.com/crime-scene-information/

If you need more forensic information on how and why this evidence proves Kyle did not commit suicide, go here:

http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/entrance-and-exit-wounds.html

Then report back.

I'd like to see how much you really care about exposing the CRIMINALITY of the David Miscavige's Church of Scientology.

Last edited:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
:hattip:

There's a bit more to add to the timeline for Rinder and the Hole.

Sweeney filming on location at the London Ideal Org Opening would have made him an active security threat. According to scientology.org, the Grand Opening occurred on October 22, 2006. DM apparently sprung Rinder from the Hole some time between then and early March, 2007.

From Mike Rinder's December 12, 2013 declaration, filed in Monique Rathbun:
Mike Rinder said:
35. My last reprieve from The Hole was in late 2006 when I was personally ordered by Miscavige to assist Tommy Davis. Davis had been taken out of Celebrity Centre International (a church in Los Angeles) to work directly and only for Miscavige. He had become one of the “Miscavige henchmen” he always maintained to carry out his express wishes. No mind was paid to their corporate positions or functions, they all knew they were answerable to Miscavige and did his bidding. For many years, I had been in that position. Because Miscavige had put me and the President of CSI, Heber Jentzsch in The Hole, he had turned to Tommy Davis to deal with inquiries by BBC Panorama in pursuit of a story. But Tommy Davis was inexperienced with the media. Miscavige told me I was to work for Tommy as his “servant” and that I was to “lick his asshole.” But soon Miscavige was calling and texting me to report on what Tommy was doing. It was a standard pattern of Miscavige: for every “go-to guy” he had as part of his personal team of henchmen there was someone else who would report on the person directly to Miscavige. In earlier times I had done this with Mark Rathbun and he had done so with me.

armstrong-op.gerryarmstrong.ca/declaration-of-michael-rinder-december-3-2013

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
From Mike Rinder's December 12, 2013 declaration, filed in Monique Rathbun:
When David Miscavige puts someone in the Hole, does this mean they are on vacation from the responsibilities of their posts?

That doesn't seem like Dave to me, or really any Church post. No matter the ethics penalties that are thrown at you, you are still responsible for the products and the condition of your area.

Why do we all assume that being in The Hole was a vacation for anyone?

I'll tell you why, because Rinder has used the Hole as a plausible deniability device to say that whenever OSA ever did anything illegal, he was "in the Hole" and therefore knew nothing about it. This has been a primary shore story he has used throughout the 12 years he's been "out".