What's new

Why Do Anonymous Geeks Hate Scientologists?

Div6

Crusader
"NYU professor Gabriella Coleman opened this profoundly profanity laced academic talk with a question: why have internet enthusiasts been drawn to denounce Scientology so vehemently for two decades? Scientology, she explained, has provided a perfect nemesis for geekery.

To the geeks, freaks and hackers of the net the Church of Scientology subverts the idea of technology to be about control instead of the freedom they cherish. Scientology has a long history of intimidation and litigation against its detractors and former members, which is abhorrent to the wilder ends of the internet. No end is quite as wild as 4chan, and it was out of 4chan's endless quest for the lulz that online organized resistance to Scientology would emerge. After the infamous Tom Cruise video on his own experience of being a Scientologist and the church's attempts to get it away of public scrutiny, Anonymous emerged from 4chan, a non-organization hellbent on the Church of Scientology's absolute destruction. Anonymous started out harassing the Church online, but eventually translated to sometimes hilarious street protests, and disgusting pranking. "They decided to emerge form the internet bunkers and hit the streets," says Coleman."

More at source:

http://gizmodo.com/5590049/why-do-anonymous-geeks-hate-scientologists

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Hate?

A misleading title. From what I've seen, there's very little that could be described as "hate". Making Scientology look ridiculous and exposing its abuses isn't the same as hating individual members.

Mystic

Crusader
scigaggOTry makes such a wonderful toy. You can diddle with it and it reacts quite predictably. The predictability that concerns me sometimes is the cornered-rat syndrome. As that fake church continues its plunge into FAIL, somewhere along the line this syndrome is apt to kick in. We see it occasionally in individual clam nutcases...but then they are all instantly susceptible to cornered-rat at any moment.

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Valid

scigaggOTry makes such a wonderful toy. You can diddle with it and it reacts quite predictably. The predictability that concerns me sometimes is the cornered-rat syndrome. As that fake church continues its plunge into FAIL, somewhere along the line this syndrome is apt to kick in. We see it occasionally in individual clam nutcases...but then they are all instantly susceptible to cornered-rat at any moment.

A valid prediction I would say. We should keep this in the back of our minds, especially whilst protesting as I have already seen vids of aggressive and abusive attacks; The Nova Scotia Anon incident and the recent Sparrow Slave incident, to name two. :unsure:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Don't forget

A valid prediction I would say. We should keep this in the back of our minds, especially whilst protesting as I have already seen vids of aggressive and abusive attacks; The Nova Scotia Anon incident and the recent Sparrow Slave incident, to name two. :unsure:

Don't forget Rex Fowler Syndrome . . . :nervous: