What's new

Why do Scientologists hate doctors?

mark91942

Patron
Since I have never truly been a Scientologist I am unfamiliar with why Scientologists have such an aversion to medical treatment. I also take issue with this due to my daughter living with her mother who is a practicing Scientologist. In the first two years the x-wife and I were apart I spent all my vacation time taking my daughter to the doctor. As is the case with most children between 2 and 5, she got sick fairly often. I know this is how our immune systems are strengthened, and yet no parent likes to see their child sick and worry about them.

There is one specific incident I have in mind that I would like to discuss in this post. During June of 2012 my daughter had been constipated for at least a week when she came to me. I know know it had to be that amount of time due to the amount that came out of her when she finally went potty. Due to the pain it was causing her I ended up spending 3 separate days in the doctors office. On the third day we ended up at her pediatrician in my area, where they had seen her since the time of her birth. The previous night we had been in the ER from 7 Pm to 2 am trying to get help for my daughter. While in the ER she was diagnosed with an anal fissure and was prescribed a cream for rear end and a fiber laxative. Her pediatrician told me not to use the cream the ER had prescribed as it was a cocaine derivative, but to give her the laxative they had prescribed. I followed the pediatricians instructions and gave her the laxative and a more child appropriate cream that did not have any narcotics in it.

Also at that time I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a trained medical assistant. She suggested that I put my daughter in a warmer than normal bath as that might help the situations with her anal fissure. My daughter let go of what had been clogging her up in the bath tub. There were three strands of fecal matter that issued from her while in the bath tub. One strand was about 18 inches in length, another one was about a foot long the third was about 9 inches in length. I drained the tub and refilled it so she could relax a bit more. While I was refilling the tub she went to the bathroom again on the toilet.

When she reached her mothers with the pediatrician prescribed laxatives and cream, her mother refused to give her the laxatives stating that they were bad for her. I would think that chopped up fiber is about as bad as eating celery, but what do I know. I am glad my daughter had to to make sure she was ok and able to get her system cleaned out. I doubt her mother would have taken her to the doctor to take care of the issue until much later and who knows how much it would have affected her if I had not taken her when I did. At that point in time her mother was also refusing to feed her fruit stating that it had sugar in it and yet would give her candy. I attempted to ask her to feed our daughter more fruits and vegetables since she would not give her the laxative. I was rebuffed with the sugar argument.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for Scientologists or if this is isolated to my x-wife who just wants to control everything in life and refuses to look at reality objectively?

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
In DMSMH (dianetics book ) Hubs said something like 70% or more of man's diseases were psychosomatic in nature; dianetics addresses (supposedly) psychosomatic issues, therefore you would handle the root cause of most illness/disease with dianetics. That's the reasoning that would be given at any rate

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
QUOTE =WildKat;1046550]In DMSMH (dianetics book ) Hubs said something like 70% or more of man's diseases were psychosomatic in nature; dianetics addresses (supposedly) psychosomatic issues, therefore you would handle the root cause of most illness/disease with dianetics. That's the reasoning that would be given at any rate[ QUOTE ]

On top of that there is a pathological fear of all "drugs" as they supposedly stop auditing gains. The Drug Rundown specifically addresses "drugs, alcohol and medicines" All medications are placed in the same category. This is scriptural for a scientologist.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Since I have never truly been a Scientologist I am unfamiliar with why Scientologists have such an aversion to medical treatment. I also take issue with this due to my daughter living with her mother who is a practicing Scientologist. In the first two years the x-wife and I were apart I spent all my vacation time taking my daughter to the doctor. As is the case with most children between 2 and 5, she got sick fairly often. I know this is how our immune systems are strengthened, and yet no parent likes to see their child sick and worry about them.

There is one specific incident I have in mind that I would like to discuss in this post. During June of 2012 my daughter had been constipated for at least a week when she came to me. I know know it had to be that amount of time due to the amount that came out of her when she finally went potty. Due to the pain it was causing her I ended up spending 3 separate days in the doctors office. On the third day we ended up at her pediatrician in my area, where they had seen her since the time of her birth. The previous night we had been in the ER from 7 Pm to 2 am trying to get help for my daughter. While in the ER she was diagnosed with an anal fissure and was prescribed a cream for rear end and a fiber laxative. Her pediatrician told me not to use the cream the ER had prescribed as it was a cocaine derivative, but to give her the laxative they had prescribed. I followed the pediatricians instructions and gave her the laxative and a more child appropriate cream that did not have any narcotics in it.

Also at that time I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a trained medical assistant. She suggested that I put my daughter in a warmer than normal bath as that might help the situations with her anal fissure. My daughter let go of what had been clogging her up in the bath tub. There were three strands of fecal matter that issued from her while in the bath tub. One strand was about 18 inches in length, another one was about a foot long the third was about 9 inches in length. I drained the tub and refilled it so she could relax a bit more. While I was refilling the tub she went to the bathroom again on the toilet.

When she reached her mothers with the pediatrician prescribed laxatives and cream, her mother refused to give her the laxatives stating that they were bad for her. I would think that chopped up fiber is about as bad as eating celery, but what do I know. I am glad my daughter had to to make sure she was ok and able to get her system cleaned out. I doubt her mother would have taken her to the doctor to take care of the issue until much later and who knows how much it would have affected her if I had not taken her when I did. At that point in time her mother was also refusing to feed her fruit stating that it had sugar in it and yet would give her candy. I attempted to ask her to feed our daughter more fruits and vegetables since she would not give her the laxative. I was rebuffed with the sugar argument.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for Scientologists or if this is isolated to my x-wife who just wants to control everything in life and refuses to look at reality objectively?

I'm glad that it resolved!
And Welcome!
The viewpoint is really that the body is a figment of the imagination, it's not real and doctors are really a type of phsyches, they are untrained con men. That attitude is a mixture of ''it's just a body!'' and ''people die, get over it''. It's not an ideal attitude for a parent, it's an attitude that leads to neglect , it's very good that you're there for your daughter. It was recommended by Hubbard that SO members have fresh raw fruit and veg with every meal. So you could locate some references somewhere, though I don't know myself where the advices would be other than in Flag Orders which she wouldn't have access to. I hope someone else might know.....
L4

Leland

Crusader

Your X sounds like a nut.....and is not taking care of you daughter....in a proper manner...

Scientologists are crazy on the subject of Children. They do not believe they exist....they think they are adults in tiny bodies....

I would imagine they think all children are "dramatizing" or being H. E. and R. Human emotion and reaction.....A very bad thing in the Cult....

Yes, Cult of Hubbard members are crazy on the subject of Medicine and Doctors....and Eating....and lots of other things....

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I agree with previous posts and would add too,

1) $cientology indoctrine followers in many misconceptions about human being nature, mind, body , spirit.
One concept is the ''service facsimile'' wich is essentially a computation that leads to behavior people may adopt to get attention and make other wrongs It leads to ''destructive out ethics behavior''. Many $cientologists attribute the complain of a person - a child, feeling sick or having pain, to this computation.

The attitude to not reinforce such aberrative behavior is to ignore it and not provide attention. Thus many people ignore the situation of people and children being sick and consider it as an ethics matter to be handled.

2) The cult of $cientology is also a cult of Adele Davis concerning any matter of health and body requirements. Thus, many physical ilnesses will be adressed by vitamins and mineral supplements.

May I suggest that you continue to keep an eye and watch closely the mental and physical state of your child, as you did, and don't allow any auditing neither any ethics handling on her ??

Some public $cientologist remain decent in parenting, some other, deep into indoctrination, fall in neglecting basic needs.

Good luck!

Last edited:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Your X sounds like a nut.....and is not taking care of you daughter....in a proper manner...

Scientologists are crazy on the subject of Children. They do not believe they exist....they think they are adults in tiny bodies....

I would imagine they think all children are "dramatizing" or being H. E. and R. Human emotion and reaction.....A very bad thing in the Cult....

Yes, Cult of Hubbard members are crazy on the subject of Medicine and Doctors....and Eating....and lots of other things....

I celebrated the day my 2D told me my chiropractor wasn't qualified to deal with a particular issue and psycho texted me until I went to a "real" doctor.

My take is: any Scientologist in good standing has been indoctrinated to believe that there is only one reason to have a Life & That is to Do Scientology. Scientology works to convince the "faithful" that any thing outside of Scientology is aberrated & in need of the tech, auditing, or processing. Doctors are also lumped into that point of view.

Then there is the money motive. Money spent on medical quackery, as Scientology sees it, is money the Cult can't ring the register with. Your X sounds like she has bought into the "Scientology has all the answers" belief system & keeping that mindset from affecting your children may be a challenge.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I celebrated the day my 2D told me my chiropractor wasn't qualified to deal with a particular issue and psycho texted me until I went to a "real" doctor.

That's another oddness about Scn and doctors. Real MD's are suspect, but chiropractors are qualified to treat all ailments.

I think it comes from Hubbard's early experiences with MDs seeing Scn as quackery (I don't think Scn ever attracted significant numbers of MDs). Besides the "psychs", Hubbard also thought the AMA was out to get him.

mark91942

Patron
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I have and do watch my daughter. Her mother already has he lying to me about auditing and ethics though. Sometimes my daughter will tell me and sometimes she wont. My x also lies to my daughter in many other ways, trying to adversely affect my relationship with my daughter. Sadly I am pretty sure my x is digging her own grave by doing this type of thing. My daughter is pretty smart and really has an issue with her mother doing so. I know there are things she will not tell me because of the threats her mother used to stop her from telling me. I also know that as she grows up and sees the bs her mothers head is in the truth will start to flow.

My x is a second generation scientologist, without the ability to think critically about anything not related to Scientology. The critical thinking barrier seems to be a stumbling block for most scientologists though. I had hoped she would grow up and see the world for what it is, but I think it's too late for my x and it will never happen. I do hope my daughter does not go down that path as well. At 6 she rarely wants to go back to her mother's as it is.