Why do writers need drugs?

Hubbard was into pinks and blues, and I guess speed (bennies) to write much of his stuff. At least that is what bandied about on this blog and others. Take Leonard Cohen - He wrote "Beautiful Losers" on speed - he took it for something like 6 mos. straight - so much so that he would write 10 - 12 and up to 20 hrs per day. When he finished the book it took weeks for him to recover.
Back in the sixties, a slew of star writers like Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, and William Burroughs radically increased their output by consuming vast amounts of speed. But eventually the drug did them more harm than good.

http://www.thefix.com/content/beat-poets-speed5123

What is the allure of speed to writers? I always wondered how Hubbard could write so much stuff, as did many of my scio friends when I was on lines. Of course, we attributed it to his OT abilities.

Mimsey

TG1

Angelic Poster
Mimsey,

Have you ever done speed?

Speed is alluring.

Unfortunately, it's not something you can turn into a lifestyle without hurting yourself.

Still, of all the drugs I've done it was my favorite.

On it I felt smarter, more productive, and absolutely fascinated by everything. I could concentrate like a son of a bitch! However, I don't know if I was any more productive, since when I was on it I was, curiously, also a dead ringer for someone with ADD.

TG1

I did pot, hash, acid 1.5 times, hash cut with opium once, DET ( a variation of DMT) once, and perhaps the absolute worst - Wild Irish Rose (puked after over indulging) the closest I did to speed was No-doze - ick.

RichardsWildIrishRose_188x375.JPG

See Bumwine.com

Wild Irish Rose
18% alc. by vol.

The thorn in your hangover is a wild rose from Ireland. Bottled by Canandaigua Wine in Chanadaigua, NY, the same company as Cisco. Like its brother Cisco, "Wild I" definitely has some secret additives that go straight to the cranium. Another web page claims that this foul beverage is a conspiracy by the republicans to kill the homeless. Bums ask a liquor store clerk for Wild Irish rose by saying, "gimme a pint of rosie with a skirt," a skirt being a paper bag. Some don't want it cold either. It's called "wild" for a good reason, and bystanders should beware. Wild Irish Rose is sure to light a fire of drunken rage in your soul. A guy named "Richards" is mentioned on the label.

A helpful viewer named Carl wrote an email directing our attention this web page that claims that "Richard's Wild Irish Rose (named after his son, Canandaigua's current president Richard Sands)." The "White Label" variety of this beverage is definitely a hard wine to come to terms with. "White Label" smells like rubbing alcohol, and has no added flavoring to mask its pungent taste and noxious odors. Avaliable in 375 mL, 750 mL, and a 50 oz jug.

Field reporter "Greyham" brings us this report: Here is Wild I's devastating new addition, "Wild Fruit with Ginseng". I'll be honest with you: the normal Wild I has turned into some sort of fierce energy drink gone wrong mixed with the original to create a bumworthy migraine-inducing concoction. I purchased a 750 mL which goes for 3.99 and a 375 mL which goes for 2.59 (at least here in FL). Word on the streets here is that the bums are wary of it. I talked to a couple that said they'd prefer to "stick with what's tried and true". Apparently they haven't accepted it yet as the real deal. As for me, I drank the 375mL on a semi-full stomach and was just ruined by the stuff. The flavor retains it's same potent Wild I nastiness but has a whole new bouquet of fruity flavor added as well (potentially aimed at bums of the female persuasion). Upon completion of the 375, I was thoroughly inebriated and found myself honestly wondering where my next fix of the stuff was going to come from. This scared me so I immediately started drinking water....here's the best part. After that relatively small bottle, I didn't piss until the next evening despite drinking copious amounts of water. There is DEFINITELY something in this stuff that dehydrates you...possibly the "ginseng" or whatever it is that they added to this already foul stuff.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wild Irish Rose.

Fortified wine, the choice of homeless alcoholics everywhere.

Otherwise known as a misery market - a product that, on the whole, takes advantage of people, rather than fulfilling a legitimate need.

Pioneered by Ernest and Julio Gallo - the L. Ron Hubbards of California wine. They try to look all respectable now, with their Gallo premium wines, but their money was made on fortified "young" wine - fit only for frat boys and winos.

What's the word? Thunderbird.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Wild Irish Rose.

Otherwise known as a misery market - a product that, on the whole, takes advantage of people, rather than fulfilling a legitimate need.

Pioneered by Ernest and Julio Gallo - the L. Ron Hubbards of California wine. They try to look all respectable now, with their Gallo premium wines, but their money was made on fortified "young" wine - fit only for frat boys and winos.

O.M.G.! What not-so-fond memories that name brings, utter crappola, even beneath chinese cooking wine. When I was a teen that shit was, hm, under 2$ for a quart. If I recall it was around 18%, tasted like paint-remover, got you drunk as all get-go, and made for the most colourful pukes, ranking right up there with 'Black Jack', a fortified blueberry 'wine' ~bang for the buck drunken stupidity.
'Misery-market' is right on, never heard the term before, but it is apropos fer sure fer sure. Good lord, when I think back to my wild and wooly teen days I am very grateful none of us died from OD's or violence (lots did but not in my immediate circle of associates).

As for writing on drugs, hm again... did some pretty profound word-smithing while whipped outta my tree, granted there was often a period of recovery and hours of translating into comprehensible language. I have found over the years that my writing got better due to some of these binges, and I can do it straight now, not so much editing etc. to do, if any.
The "loosening of the tongue" ~ Some people get quite profound, but I think that the talent and 'enlightenment' part is illusory once the plug is pulled from the 'universal mind', which in retrospect, could keep a writer going back for more.... ala LRon.
Just a wee thought 'r two :)

:cheers:

Terril park

Sponsor
Well its time to raise this thread uptone.

I've been a single malt/brandy connoisseur most of my life.

Recently a european cut price supermarket, Aldi, had 15 year old
El Dorado rum for sale. The youngest rum in the blend was 15 years old,
and some was 25 years old, and made on the original wooden pot stills
used nearly 400 years ago.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4478.aspx

This was the best spirit I have ever had. I got it for £33 which is
cheaper than the normal £44.

Then at least for those in the UK their is a monumental bargain
of Sainsburys " Taste the difference" golden rum from Trinidad and Tobago,
8 years old which whilst not as good as El Dorado, it for me currently beats all
single malts.

Bang for the buckometer:-

£16!!!!!!!

[ from Mike R's website been learning how exclamation marks
indicate stupendous, MASSIVE, ULTRA MAJOR, BRAND NEW, FANTASTIC, HUGE, INCREDIBLE, BOMBASTIC] Note author needs to word clear bombastic. ]

http://thefloatingrumshack.com/main...:taste-the-difference-8yo-golden-rum&Itemid=5

PARENTAL GUIDANCE

All this stuff is for sipping and tasting. You want to get drunk do it at home with Thunderbird etc.

PS. Dunno what pinks and greys are but I think LRH got the Rum part right.

CUBA LIBRE!!! :thumbsup:

Now I'm too old for that stuff...but I love the annual Mojito blow out party we have when the limes first ripen on the trees! :cloud9:

Right now, my fav hooch is Fireball! Hoo Yeah! Mimsey

meet-fireball-whiskey-girls-86.jpeg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/fireball-whisky_n_3672309.html

Fireball Cinnamon Whisky Is The Most Popular Liquor Brand You've Never Heard Of

Sometimes, getting your brand of liquor offered to bar-hopping revelers requires epic Super Bowl ads, millions spent on flashy billboards and small armies of skimpily-clad, shot-bearing models. Other times, as distiller Sazerac Co. has found out, tweeting at the bartender will do.

Louisiana-based Sazerac Co. has seen sales of its Fireball Cinnamon Whisky nearly triple since 2012 -- from .8 percent to 2.3 percent of the market for liquors sold at bars and restaurants -- according to an analysis by industry research firm Restaurant Sciences. Demand for Fireball has made the liqueur among the most popular at bars and restaurants where it is offered, according to Restaurant Sciences, which surveyed 400 such establishments. The firm found Fireball had gone from making up a sometimes-negligible percentage of sales in 2011 to constituting 6.7 to 6.8 percent of all tabs this year.

Even more extraordinary than the numbers is the fact that Fireball's popularity has boomed without a conventional marketing push by Sazerac. The company has instead relied on social media and engagement with bar employees to increase awareness of its products, a spokesperson for Sazerac said.

“We don’t go into bars and hire girls and force people to take a shot,” Sazerac spokesman Steve Schmitz told The Huffington Post. “What we have been doing is pushing engagement with people in the industry, particularly bartenders.”
Schmitz said Sazerac marketers have focused on helping bartenders develop drink recipes that make use of Fireball’s flavor profile. Consumers say Fireball, a heavily sweetened spirit with a spicy cinnamon kick, “tastes like Big Red in liquid form.” Among the most popular: a recipe that blends a shot of Fireball with a 12-ounce bottle of hard apple cider. Another recipe, which Sazerac says evokes the taste of “Cinnamon Toast Crunch” cereal, mixes Fireball with equal parts “agua de horchata,” a Mexican rice and vanilla drink.

Nick Mitchell, manager of Irish Exit Ale House in New Albany, Ind., told HuffPost he does sell a fair amount of Fireball-and-cider mixed drinks. But he noted that the vast majority of sales are to people taking Fireball as a shot.

“It is definitely the “Cheers!” shot,” Mitchell said. “You get the group of people that are here to celebrate, and you have glasses raised and shots taken, that shot’s going to be Fireball.”

Mitchell said the state of Indiana restricts his bar, which serves 400 people on a busy night, to buying two cases of the liquor per week, a total of 32 bottles. Sometimes he’ll run out before the weekend even starts, he said.

“It’s scary how much people love this product,” Mitchell said.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
@ Terril~ 'Pinks and greys' refers to uppers and downers, ie. amphetamines and downers like Seconol (sic~barbiuates), I forget what was in vogue in the 30's-40's, it was all pretty crude, and mixing that shite with rum, or any booze for that matter, wasn't conducive to an enlightening experience. I do believe Hubbard's son Nibs, in his telling of the old windbag's weaknesses for getting blasted and writing up a storm of controversy/bs, was truth told to alleviate his own complacency in the karmatically challenged world we have evolved into.

Some writers enjoy the freedom in their minds created by altered states, I am of the opinion that Hubbard had ulterior motives, not unlike so many creeps who were bent on world domination. (ignoring Godwin's Law here)

My opinion, not hating on anyone's views atm :p

suspiciousperson

Patron with Honors
Mimsey,

In a non hubbardy-specific context, may I just suggest you take a bunch of different drugs and I'm sure you'll appreciate them?

For stimulants nicoteine will do.

For hallucinogens, dextromethrophan (found in the correct cough syrup) will do.

For heroin, some kind of pharmaceutical opiate will do.

For cannabis, one of the legal cannaboids you can get in certain legal highs will do.

For alcohol, sniffing glue will do.

None of these are the real thing - frankly they're more dangerous and not as good. But have a go at trying these things out legally. Drugs are good stuff, honestly.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
If it comes from the Earth without man-made interference it can't be that bad. i.e. Marijuana and 'shrooms. I don't use either but I definitely stay away from man-made "recreational" drugs and Big Pharma.

People who do ecstasy etc. you better know whats in that pill or powder! Krokodil is in the USA now. Google it. A lot of shit is "cut" with nasty, nasty stuff.

Writers don't need drugs. Hubbard abused substances as a crutch, probably thought he needed them to create.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Mimsey,

Have you ever done speed?

Speed is alluring.

Unfortunately, it's not something you can turn into a lifestyle without hurting yourself.

Still, of all the drugs I've done it was my favorite.

On it I felt smarter, more productive, and absolutely fascinated by everything. I could concentrate like a son of a bitch! However, I don't know if I was any more productive, since when I was on it I was, curiously, also a dead ringer for someone with ADD.

TG1

I witnessed a guy on Meth tinkering with/working on a bicycle. The intensity and focus was amazing to see. Scary almost.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wild Irish Rose.

Guns 'n' Roses wrote a song about a different one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyf8oRF6Trg

http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html