What's new

Why I Stayed So Long in Scientology: The People!

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I've often slapped my forehead and got down on myself for wasting so many years of my life in Scientology.

Until one day when I realized what kept me going for so many years.

I was a Cornfield Goober with a rebellious spiritual and literary bent. That didn't sit well on the barstools of the local beer tap, where when you floated ideas that were too big for Cornfield Consumption, you were slapped in the forehead for Being Stupid.

And so I felt alone.

When I got into Scientology, I met so many people that were just like me.

And I felt at home.

When I look back now, it actually never mattered that I was Being Conned.

I had friends to talk to who could converse with me on topics that I cared about!

That's why ESMB is so good now.

I still have people I can talk to, and I'm not being conned for doing it any more!

Thanks, you guys.

You are The Best.

Wisened One

Crusader
What you said, Alanzo! What you said! :bigcry: :yes: :hug:

I felt like I found HOME too when I found scn...and I find that here at ESMB as well!

Michelle

Carmel

Crusader
What you said, Alanzo! What you said! :bigcry: :yes: :hug:

I felt like I found HOME too when I found scn...and I find that here at ESMB as well!

Michelle
Agreed, and me too! :happydance:

With geographical restrictions as they were in the early '80's, the percentage of such a fine bunch of people within the CofS (with similar or like mind, goals and purposes), was phenomenal to me. I had been so 'alone', aimless, and was somewhat a "darling of circumstances" with little 'hope', prior to finding and being with the bunch of people in Sydney, who were like one big extremely supportive extended family.

Funny how that loneliness crept in again over the years, to the point where I had almost no 'hope' or aspirations left. Last year when I came across the ESMB community, I gradually started to feel 'home' again, and I'm now at a point again, where I feel the world is my oyster (whether it is or not is irrelevant :D ). I don't know where else there is on planet earth, where one could be welcomed into and become part of a group of so many such fine individuals, with such similar passions and so full of support. :) (And, despite any differences in regard to opinions and stances :giggle:).

I find it interesting too that when I first posted here, the 'group' scared me a bit. I was a bit reticent about posting, but was motivated to do so to set the record straight about a mission in ANZO. I thought I'd say my bit, then get out. Thanks to you lot sparking my interest, the obvious diversity, and to Tansy, I didn't - I stuck around - ESMB and the connections I've made here, has been my saviour. My thanks and love to the girl who put it here and keeps it here - :kiss:

Isn't it great that life CAN be, just so so grand! :party:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Agreed, and me too! :happydance:

With geographical restrictions as they were in the early '80's, the percentage of such a fine bunch of people within the CofS (with similar or like mind, goals and purposes), was phenomenal to me. I had been so 'alone', aimless, and was somewhat a "darling of circumstances" with little 'hope', prior to finding and being with the bunch of people in Sydney, who were like one big extremely supportive extended family.

Funny how that loneliness crept in again over the years, to the point where I had almost no 'hope' or aspirations left. Last year when I came across the ESMB community, I gradually started to feel 'home' again, and I'm now at a point again, where I feel the world is my oyster (whether it is or not is irrelevant :D ). I don't know where else there is on planet earth, where one could be welcomed into and become part of a group of so many such fine individuals, with such similar passions and so full of support. :) (And, despite any differences in regard to opinions and stances :giggle:).

I find it interesting too that when I first posted here, the 'group' scared me a bit. I was a bit reticent about posting, but was motivated to do so to set the record straight about a mission in ANZO. I thought I'd say my bit, then get out. Thanks to you lot sparking my interest, the obvious diversity, and to Tansy, I didn't - I stuck around - ESMB and the connections I've made here, has been my saviour. My thanks and love to the girl who put it here and keeps it here - :kiss:

Isn't it great that life CAN be, just so so grand! :party:

Fuckin Tansy.

He blew ESMB.

Instant Declare! :)))

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
That didn't sit well on the barstools of the local beer tap, where when you floated ideas that were too big for Cornfield Consumption, you were slapped in the forehead for Being Stupid.

And so I felt alone.

And I felt at home.

This was a HUGE part of it for me too. . . .not even my hubby (wonderful as he is) had those goals, purposes and interests. It really did feel like a pocket of sanity in a shallow world.

-TL

byte301

Crusader
Yes, I met some of the greatest people I have ever met in scientology. Wonderful, compassionate people. It makes me so sad that some are still in. But I have the fondest memories of them.

Oh,the times we had.:)

HCObringOrder?

Silver Meritorious Patron

I still have people I can talk to, and I'm not being conned for doing it any more!

Thanks, you guys.
You are The Best.

It is nice to see you coming out of your shell. :happydance: :omg: :happydance:

Seriously, the common friends are great.

Except for my first two years at FCDC, I was always considered a black sheep by Scientologists. The people on staff when I first joined were like me, young and idealistic, and we wanted to help mankind. As far as I can tell, the people at old FCDC weren’t in Scientology to become supermen; the place still had the atmosphere of the sixties--we believed we were changing the world. I think the reason I have felt like a black sheep and treated like one by the newer Scientologists (after 1974) is because the newer ones are a different generation, or at least have a different generational mindset. They wanted to control the world. There is a big difference in the way people treat each other when their goal is to control the world rather than save the world. For one, the people who want to control the world will treat people as a means instead of an end. Individuals are expendable to someone who wants to control and treat others as a means to that end. I should have stayed a hippie. Hey, wait! I am still a hippie!

The Anabaptist Jacques

Good twin

Floater
Yep. Me too.

I remember about ten or more years ago my son asked me "What if when you get to the top of the bridge you find out it was all a big joke. I mean what if there really isn't a state of OT".

I thought about it and answered as honestly as I could at the time. I told him "It doesn't matter, there is nothing else I'd rather be doing right now. Even if there's no big payoff this is the most fun and best life I can imagine for myself now." I meant it.

The insidious part is....... in order to justify the abusive and unjust activities that you inevitably witness or partake in, you keep convincing yourself that there is a huge product at stake for yourself and mankind.

It only mattered when things got bad.

Woggin' out

Patron with Honors
Right on dude

I've often slapped my forehead and got down on myself for wasting so many years of my life in Scientology.

Until one day when I realized what kept me going for so many years.

I was a Cornfield Goober with a rebellious spiritual and literary bent. That didn't sit well on the barstools of the local beer tap, where when you floated ideas that were too big for Cornfield Consumption, you were slapped in the forehead for Being Stupid.

And so I felt alone.

And I felt at home.

When I look back now, it actually never mattered that I was Being Conned.

I had friends to talk to who could converse with me on topics that I cared about!

Thanks, you guys.

You are The Best.

Dude this is such a "true for me as well" and entertaining post! You hit the nail on the barstool!! :roflmao: I'd smoke pot as a teen and think I wasn;t my body etc. (all the:yes: spiritual stuff) and everyone I would try to talk to about it looked me as if I was Forest Gump or something. Until I found the.......CO$

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Me too!

When I joined it was easy to fit the hippy "peace and love" ideal into the CofS reality.

Ron was a bit harsher and toughter than I expected! :duh: But I rationalised that it probably took a tough leader to actually bring about the hippy ideals. ("cognitive dissonance?)

But the people were great, lots of hippy types and "cool" was the favoured acknowledgement! :thumbsup: The Org smelled of Petuli oil and we smiled a lot.

It took me most of the 70's to realise a truer truth about Scn. :duh:

I wonder if Scn has the ability to appear to fit whatever the current culture is?

Years later I met a bunch of old-timers from the early sixties - they seemed quite different from us hippy-scns. They were more into mind therapy and I wonder if that was the culture that Scn appealed to in the 50's?

It's interesting to wonder if, despite the contstancy of LRH policy through the decades, it somehow attracts different types of people depending on the current culture.

As regards the people - it was wierd to go to East Grinstead protests last summer and see old friends, still in, still trying to clear the planet! Poignant and sad! :melodramatic:

I met one of my oldest, bestest friends and we smiled, hugged and kissed each other from over the opposite sides of the artificial fence. The affection does not die.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I met one of my oldest, bestest friends and we smiled, hugged and kissed each other from over the opposite sides of the artificial fence. The affection does not die.

To the rest; yes, Scientology disguises itself as 'all things to all people', while being 'everything for Scientology', and, to this last quote; But, it's *Supposed* to die!

And, Scientology does *not* 'work' and yet again, we can be thankful for that.

Zinj

Carmel

Crusader
To the rest; yes, Scientology disguises itself as 'all things to all people', while being 'everything for Scientology', and, to this last quote; But, it's *Supposed* to die!

Zinj

Well, we can be thankful I s'pose that it didn't work quite like we thought it should or wanted it to........otherwise a lot of us would have been deprived of making your aquaintance. :whistling: :coolwink:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron

Zinj

Yes my friend knew I was a declared SP and a protestor. I knew my friend would ID me in a knowledge report, my friend being a good OSA member.

But despite all that, our friendship shone throught the differences. It was a lovely "Brief Encounter" sort of moment. Hubard's tech had failed to destroy our friendship, although we hadn't met for over a quarter of a century.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
A prediction; hopeful maybe, but hey...

Yes my friend knew I was a declared SP and a protestor. I knew my friend would ID me in a knowledge report, my friend being a good OSA member.

But despite all that, our friendship shone through the differences. It was a lovely "Brief Encounter" sort of moment. Hubard's tech had failed to destroy our friendship, although we hadn't met for over a quarter of a century.

You friend will be out within six months. The failure will be apparent and if a KR was written, the overt will be a tough one to live with. That's the way I'm creating it. :coolwink:

Everyone with me on this? :unsure: :yes:

EP

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
You friend will be out within six months. The failure will be apparent and if a KR was written, the overt will be a tough one to live with. That's the way I'm creating it. :coolwink:

Everyone with me on this? :unsure: :yes:

EP

Thanks for the creation!

Actually it doesn't matter. My friend has been in for over thirty years and has been instrumental in many what you call "overts" in that time at quite a high executive level. So departure may not be imminent!

I have other friends still in from four decades ago and they are and always will be my friends. The side of the fence is just an illusion.

After the ID there has been what may well be a fair game op on me personally, to "destroy" me "utterly" - but love cannot be destroyed.

All is well and as it should be. :happydance:

The CofS's fate is assured.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
This is a great thread Alanzo ... I too thought I had found 'my people' when I got in but then gradually realised the reality .... and spent lonely years (and years and years) and then found this board and blew charge that I didn't even know I had ... :eyeroll:

You people here on ESMB are 'my people' and I love you all dearly along with all our idiosyncrasies and foibles (and I don't even care if that seems silly ... not having actually 'met' most of you) ... :blush:

I am regaining an ability ... it's called 'the ability to like people again'.

:thankyou:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is a great thread Alanzo ... I too thought I had found 'my people' when I got in but then gradually realised the reality .... and spent lonely years (and years and years) and then found this board and blew charge that I didn't even know I had ... :eyeroll:

You people here on ESMB are 'my people' and I love you all dearly along with all our idiosyncrasies and foibles (and I don't even care if that seems silly ... not having actually 'met' most of you) ... :blush:

I am regaining an ability ... it's called 'the ability to like people again'.

:thankyou:

Wonderful! :happydance: