Why Scientology and OTs are inherently fascist.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Right.. I didn't post at once when I saw TAJ's opening post.. I didn't want to defuse the possibility of some interesting debate about this subject.

But now the thread is somewhat dated, and the debate has been interesting! :)

I can post now, in responnse to the OP:

Hubbard was a GD fascist, and the scientologists inherited him! - So there!

:yes:

yo!

PTS4!

if you want to just growl...

just growl

but if you would expand up your fierce and fervently expressed opinion of my last post it will receive my avid attention

Some of what you say above, I agree with but are you not mistaking Scientology's stated aims with its actual actions? I wish you would be so motivated as to make the argument that Scientology is more along the lines of Libertarianism. I would love to hear that argument. ...

The church is totalitarian in structure however the political ideology that hubbard routinely expressed was an extremist libertarian perspective. The tapes are full of it in his frequent asides and commentary. The logical inconsistency between his expressed ideology and personal need to control is just one of the many similar inconsistencies which are readily apparent in his thought and behavior.

Moreover these ideas are frequently parroted by scientologists despite their own allegiance to the totalitarian control of his church. They often outlive the loyalty to hubbard & his church which may well have originally given rise to them, although no doubt some scientologists were initially drawn to the subject by their own attraction to such ideas.

As to the apparent "disconnect" between social ideals and the reality of social organization, that may seem "unlikely" or "ironic" but historically it is not an uncommon expression of social organization. Most of the horrors of humanity have been engendered by organizations specifically intent on 'benevolent' & 'just" actions, at least from within the peculiar moral compass of the society of their membership: witness the historical rise of the christian church, the 'liberation' of the holy land by western crusaders, and the european wars which accompanied the 'reformation', the development of 'democracy' in the united states, etc..

Reliance upon a moral or political ideal to justify totalitarian and exploitve behavior is the common pattern of human social behavior. In contrast, the regular observance of logical consistency is not a noteworthy feature. Few are much troubled by it. Those few are most commonly discounted by others as being 'impractical'. :coolwink:

Hubbard and very many if not most of the scientologists (and quite a few exes) that I have known routinely expressed extreme libertarian attitudes. But those attitudes have not necessarily reflected their personal motivations when faced with the prospect of social power over others. Seeing the 'disconnect' between church practice and the sayings of hubbard is not therefore particularly surprising.

Mark A. Baker