What's new

Will HBO's "Going Clear" Change The Church Of Scientology Forever?

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Perhaps this should be on the media thread but I think this deserves it's own thread? There have been many documentaries before but what's different this time?

Anyway here is the Huff Post link which asks the question:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...22.html?cps=gravity_2677_-2298256082512982050

***EXCERPT***

(RNS) The only murky thing in “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” HBO’s scathing new documentary, is: What will happen to the church that sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard built more than 60 years ago after it airs?

The two-hour film directed by Academy Award-winning director Alex Gibney is a merciless examination of the Church of Scientology, the religion/business/self-help empire created by Hubbard, who died in 1986. The film, which airs Sunday (March 29) on HBO, alleges the church has practiced physical, psychological and financial abuse of its current and former members for decades.

And while the film is based on Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Lawrence Wright’s 2013 book with an almost identical title, the film manages something the book could not — it allows viewers to look into the eyes of former Scientologists as they describe years of abuse they say they suffered willingly at the hands of the church and the ultimate toll it took: lost relationships, broken lives, empty bank accounts and more.

*** END EXCERPT***

Last edited:

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
there will be blows

there will be declares, anyone who watches it or says peep about it inside the orgs will be removed

miscavige is probably getting teams ready to send out to orgs for damage control and sec checks

there will probably be more independant splinter groups forming too

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
The heat is turned WAY up now, thanks to "Going Clear - Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief" airing on HBO this Sunday. Scientology's goose is cooked. There is too much publicity about the abuse Scientology inflicts on its parishoner's and the government has a responsibility to protect people from predatory "churches".

My bet and hope:

The United States Government takes them down and exposes the crimes and then charges them taxes....

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Can't an SP dream people???:)

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
The heat is turned WAY up now, thanks to "Going Clear - Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief" airing on HBO this Sunday. Scientology's goose is cooked. There is too much publicity about the abuse Scientology inflicts on its parishoner's and the government has a responsibility to protect people from predatory "churches".

My bet and hope:

The United States Government takes them down and exposes the crimes and then charges them taxes....

One can only hope.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

My bet and hope:

The religious cloaking, IRS exemption, those would have to be the first things to get handled. That'll be the big focus. We'll see.

Free Being Me

Crusader
The religious cloaking, IRS exemption, those would have to be the first things to get handled. That'll be the big focus. We'll see.

Yes yes yes! This is one of my big Ex dreams, $cientology's religious status revoked. Think of all the current law suits the cult is engaged in right now. The rights the cult hides behind would vanish into a puff of smoke.

:begging:

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Perhaps this should be on the media thread but I think the deserves it's own thread? There have been many documentaries before but what's different this time?

Anyway here is the Huff Post link which asks the question:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...22.html?cps=gravity_2677_-2298256082512982050

***EXCERPT***

(RNS) The only murky thing in “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” HBO’s scathing new documentary, is: What will happen to the church that sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard built more than 60 years ago after it airs?

The two-hour film directed by Academy Award-winning director Alex Gibney is a merciless examination of the Church of Scientology, the religion/business/self-help empire created by Hubbard, who died in 1986. The film, which airs Sunday (March 29) on HBO, alleges the church has practiced physical, psychological and financial abuse of its current and former members for decades.

And while the film is based on Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Lawrence Wright’s 2013 book with an almost identical title, the film manages something the book could not — it allows viewers to look into the eyes of former Scientologists as they describe years of abuse they say they suffered willingly at the hands of the church and the ultimate toll it took: lost relationships, broken lives, empty bank accounts and more.

*** END EXCERPT***

After March 29tH NO SCIENTOLOGIST WILL EVER AGAIN BE ABLE TO CREDIBLY CLAIM THAT THEY DIDN'T KNOW.

FROM TOM CRUISE TO THE PEOPLE ON THE RPF, IGNORANCE OF THE ABUSES WILL NO LONGER CONSTITUTE A VALID DEFENSE.

That's just for starters.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Core issues, heart of the beast. The oxygen line into the scam. :yes:

Shifting the emotional response of Mum and Dad Citizen is key to lowering the tolerance of cultic abuse. This documentary will open up dialogue which formerly did not exist.

Will Going Clear: Scientology the Prison of Belief change the cult of scientology forever? It already has. One just has to observe the desperate reaction from the cult - their intense fearful vitriolic actions in an horribly misguided campaign to somehow avoid/lessen the irreparable damage that is about to hit. The cult has so much to "lose" because of this documentary - and very little to nothing to gain (e.g. popularity, reputation, healthy public curiosity, etc). The cults brand name was already very muddy - due to the exposes on the internet/media the past few years - but after this documentary airs, there is little to nothing to save the cult from free-falling into a state of full disgrace. The cult will continue doing the same old same old (legal bullying, etc), hoping for a different outcome but we all know that is mere insanity, in action.

Once the documentary beams into millions of living rooms, there is no putting the genie back in the bottle. The playing field will be very different come Monday morning. That "difference" will continue to escalate as the documentary is seen by more and more Mum and Dad Citizens (via re-runs, new country's showing it, etc).

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I am blown away by the amount of media, and the improving quality of information in them. There is no stopping this now, and once the documentary is fully in release everywhere, we will have a wonderful link to give to others who want to know more. The fact that there is such an obvious smear campaign on every participant is not lost on media, who are targets themselves. It destroys any credibility of the scientology 'responses' that media are obligated to also mention.

The wall is crumbling.

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
Monday morning will tell the tale

body count
student points
audited hours
regs stats headed in the tank

the only thing going up will be lil daveys blood pressure as
he tries to slap and scream it right :biggrin:

Wheres Shelly shorty ?

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I am blown away by the amount of media, and the improving quality of information in them. There is no stopping this now, and once the documentary is fully in release everywhere, we will have a wonderful link to give to others who want to know more. The fact that there is such an obvious smear campaign on every participant is not lost on media, who are targets themselves. It destroys any credibility of the scientology 'responses' that media are obligated to also mention.

The wall is crumbling.

I know.... The local rag picked up the AP story about Rinder last week. Their idea of hard-hitting journalism has always been whose rooster won first prize at the state fair, so I was pretty blown away.

Free Being Me

Crusader
Core issues, heart of the beast. The oxygen line into the scam. :yes:

Shifting the emotional response of Mum and Dad Citizen is key to lowering the tolerance of cultic abuse. This documentary will open up dialogue which formerly did not exist.

Will Going Clear: Scientology the Prison of Belief change the cult of scientology forever? It already has. One just has to observe the desperate reaction from the cult - their intense fearful vitriolic actions in an horribly misguided campaign to somehow avoid/lessen the irreparable damage that is about to hit. The cult has so much to "lose" because of this documentary - and very little to nothing to gain (e.g. popularity, reputation, healthy public curiosity, etc). The cults brand name was already very muddy - due to the exposes on the internet/media the past few years - but after this documentary airs, there is little to nothing to save the cult from free-falling into a state of full disgrace. The cult will continue doing the same old same old (legal bullying, etc), hoping for a different outcome but we all know that is mere insanity, in action.

Once the documentary beams into millions of living rooms, there is no putting the genie back in the bottle. The playing field will be very different come Monday morning. That "difference" will continue to escalate as the documentary is seen by more and more Mum and Dad Citizens (via re-runs, new country's showing it, etc).

The wall is crumbling.

So beautifully said, both of you. The ex voice isn't a fringe story anymore, it's going global beamed into households around the world. The cult can't stop it and any effort by $cientology will reinforce what's been said for years: The cult is toxic and here's why. Now people everywhere get to see a glimpse into the cult hellhole for themselves. We are living in interesting times.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

A gamechanger!

If HBO ever decides to archive the full two-hour documentary "GOING CLEAR: The Prison of Belief" on the internet, I think this LINK is going to become one of the greatest viral links ever.

I personally will e-mail it to everyone I know "on this planet" with the message line reading: "FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DO SCIENTOLOGY"

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
In the trading world one has to keep an eye on any News that will have influence on any given present situation.

Important news, like payrolls or home sales, will affect all the time scales somewhat instantly. Usually there is a spike either way depending on the stats.

This dang movie, and all the efforts of countless people over the years, has already been causing an affect.

Let's see, pretend it's a currency.

world/scn.

I know it's been trending up for quite some time. It's going to just spike! come Monday.

Now don't be alarmed if the spike falls afterwards. More often than not a trend returns to the path it was on after a spike.
That said, I hope it's a killer spike and scn has nothing left to trade and it just keeps going and going against them fast. Which is what is going to happen, you can bet on it.
These are glorious days.

I wish this could really be a graph. Maybe they, all of them, will finally get their 47x number they dream of.

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is a tough question as bias to see the cult fall is up in the Van Allen belt ! Watch out Hubby !!!The appeal to emotion is so severe- to satisfy hope and alleviate trauma and...there is no shortage of emotion influencing judgment here .

I hope this bias is not making us see a temporary boost as something more . Minimum this makes a half million Americans dislike the cult more . Minimum . If all the rest who watch the movie are indifferent . Unlikely in my opinion .

Best , best case scenario - the film gets a gigantic amount of attention prompting the cult to attack and prove fair game is their game and gets more press to pile on and this leads to the best Scientology journalist ( in my opinion )Tony Ortega and our beloved hero Tory Magoo and cult expert Jon Atack all getting to go on major mainstream media and explain who and what the cult really is and does and the dominoes fall so elected officials demand hearings and investigations and DM is called before congress and certain witnesses stand ready to prove DM has been lying for decades. He can never face close scrutiny nor can Hubbard's doctrine . Having the cult have to defend the doctrine with witnesses ready to show contradictions and incriminating very clear doctrine the cult would be crushed . Too bad Tommy Davis is gone . I would love to see him grilled for hours . He would get a new reality .

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

After the initial excitement and interest I feel it could still be 5-10 years before we see the REAL results of this documentary ... along with all the other things that are having an overall effect on the cofs decline.

I've developed patience though, I can wait (we can't be disappointed).

The NPI stat (new people in) is the one I want to see shrivel and die, then all it will take is a little time ... (cue [STRIKE]cackling, witchy laughter[/STRIKE] refined, ladylike tittering).

:biggrin:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Journalists will want to interview Miscavige. I can't imagine him sudenly growing a pair and actually doing one, what is a journo to do? <cloud nine>Take quotes from his speeches</cloud nine> Move over grumpy cat, Miscavige Midget Musings will go viral.

"You are witnessing a space-time continuum, where clocks stand still"
"Because that’s right, it means everything will be in place to bust open the very top of the bridge"
"A significant donation is all that stands between a great void where souls are lost forever and a message to billions."

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
At first when the articles began to appear about the documentary after the first film festival showings, I thought "Oh, well that's good" and thought that would kind of be it until the film was shown on HBO, which at the time was scheduled for March 16th.

Then, as the film was shown in more and more cities and in each one of those cities there was a huge turnout to see it in each of them - well, I was like "Hmmmm..."

And it has been one article after the other since then. With mainstream newspapers reporting it. And mainstream TV channels reporting it. It is like everybody within the media who has ever been intimidated by the "church" decided the time is at hand not to be intimidated any longer.

All of this taking place before the film has even been shown on HBO.

The next reaction to the film will be quite different. Many who watch the documentary will have had only vague knowledge of $cientology. This HBO special will be their first introduction to the "inner workings" of Tom Cruise's religion. Rather than produce daily print articles, it will produce Monday morning water-cooler talk.

Like this:

"Did you see that HBO special last night? The one about $cientology?"

"Nope, missed it. What was it about?"

"Oh, Jeez. You gotta watch it! It's about how they brainwashed all these people. It's really something!"

"They brainwash people?"

"Yeah, and they beat them too. Just unbelievable stuff!"

"Isn't that the church that Tom Cruise guy is in? The one who was jumping on the couch?"

"Yep, that's the one. Remember he was all bent out of shape because that actress was taking antidepressants? Well, it turns out all these $cientologists think psychiatrists are trying to take over the world. It was full of all kind of crazy shit; like about how they believe in aliens who came from outer space and went into volcanos. Then somebody blew up all these volcanos and these things like ghosts came up out of the volcanos and they stuck all over everybody. Seriously, they believe this stuff! You gotta watch it!"

"Yeah, yeah. It sounds pretty good. I know my wife always says that Tom Cruise guy is nuts. She'd like it. Wonder when they're going to show it again?"

"Oh, let me go online and look............... Wait! Here it is! They're going to show it again tonight! Oh, wow, you gotta watch it! I think I'm going to watch it again!"