Will Smith Funds New "Study Tech" School

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
No. Honestly there isn't much left now to take back. It has mostly vanished into the landscape under the Sea Org. If not by the Sea Org continually wiping out their reserves, improper managment and discrimination as a result of the Church's crimes and out PR.

But the world isn't coming to an end.

Many very successful drug rehab centers have sprung up all over America. Betty Ford and Promises in Malibu are wildly successful. People check in and out of rehab every day.

Sylvan Institute has sprung up centers all across America as well as after school programs and several groups promoting literacy.

“Some people there are who, being grown,
forget the horrible task of learning to read.
It is perhaps the greatest single effort that
the human undertakes, and he must do it as
a child. . . For thousands of years these
humans have existed and they have only
learned this trick, this magic, in the final
ten-thousand of the thousand-thousand.”

John Steinbeck

Peace.

T.O.

Last edited:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
You know, the Sea Org had it's shot to be on the front lines in this kind of social improvement.

They got bypassed by a bunch of "wogs".

Of course they will invalidate all of these other self improvment efforts by saying things like , "it's run by psycs." or whatever they say these days to make nothing out of the other self improvement success', and other people's efforts.

They could have focused on delivering auditing and training more auditors instead of training a bunch of regges. All of these ABLE groups have the same stat at the top. G.I.

The execs are expected to GET money and not trained to GIVE anything of value for it.

They were so busy trying to lock up and chain every potential drop of a nickel come future, they somehow got passed up and left behind in the dust.

Kind of funny. Like the story of the dog with a bone in his mouth that comes across his own reflection trying to cross the stream. He sees the bone in the mirror and drops the bone in his mouth to grab it. The stream carries away the only bone he really had.

See what happens when you don't read bedtime stories to your children?

T.O.

Last edited:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
The horrible task of trying to read? Give me a break. It's just a matter of exposure and recognition, followed by effort. It wasn't painful, it wasn't particularly difficult, and was, in fact, a joy to me. As soon as I started to read, I started to read as many books as my parents would put in front of me, and asked them for help when I didn't understand a word. By the time I was in school, I was reading, and found it amazing that others found it even vaguely difficult. School taught me next to nothing, although the books in school taught me a bit. I was always ahead of my class, reading the fourth grade math books when I was in second grade and doing their problems during recess while the other kids beat each other up and threw mud around and generally were retards. I feel sorry for kids who have to rely on a teacher in a school to learn to read, write, or do arithmetic. Once you have those skills, school becomes a breeze. It's only useful for feedback, or for exposure to processes that you read about in books. I had some trouble with physics, because my normal method of address (read it and do the problems) wasn't sufficient, I should have done the labs that were recommended but not mandatory at my college: I think that would have made the subject a breeze for me. And I don't think I'm exceptional, other than a willingness to study because I understand it's value. Teachers have a very tough job, because the "gifted" kids don't need their help, and the kids who don't get it won't benefit from the teacher's help as much as they would benefit from a parent's attention. Essentially they're babysitters who do their best to try to help people understand things, but it's very definitely an art with them, and not a science. I think that scientologists are to be commended for trying to render teaching ("supervision") into a procedural, uniform process. I think that their format is untried, for the most part (in terms of statistical measure), and I think they'd run into the same thing other teachers would, when it boils down to it. Kids whose rudiments are in and who know the reason for their studying will do well without much help, and those that don't can't be helped by the teacher without the teacher becoming an auditor who flies their rudiments and teaches them "What is a Student" and then getting the parents help with the student in question.

Nibs

Patron
As a resident of the Calabasas area I tell you these comments are just a generality and you are misinformed. Califronia is a very large place with some of the best and worst public schools in the country. I moved to this area to get out of the LA School system and into the local system which was and is excellent. All 3 of children got a wonderful education and graduated from first class universities and two have advanced degrees. My neighbors and friends have had similar results. There are over 1000 public school districts in CA with over 6,000,000 students. They range from excellent to crap.

I just know the public schools in the state of California rank amoungst the worse in the nation.

I don't think it is safe for any child to be in the public schools in that state.

Calabasas is an upscale community mostly seniors or wealthy that would have their own children in private schools. As in most neighborhoods in these kind of southern california communities the public schools are for the servant's childrens a.k.a. illegle immingrants. And those kids have it really rough.

I don't know what problem he was trying to solve by leasing this facility.

Maybe he is trying to keep his own kids off drugs.

I had to go to inner city schools in San Fransisco and Berkely in the 60's. I remember sitting on a public bus and a group of kids lighting a girl's hair onf fire and telling her if she tried to stamp it out she would be beaten. This is the type of brutality that goes on. I spent seven years living in terrorism the rest of American didn't know about until 9/11. I had to be willing on a daily basis for seven years during school term to drop everything in my hands and get into a 1 on 1 knock down fist fight. And then entire time I was awed that the immediate seemed to be totally oblivious about it. I mean NOBODY was doing ANYTHING about it except ME (managed to stay alive).

If he had opened the school in any other state I might be up for an attack but the State of California has issues other places don't.

Maybe his children were not safe in any other place.

Not that all of the recent slayings in the other schools in the U.S. sound too inviting.

He is obviously trying to solve a problem for his kids.

And trust me, the public and private schools in that state are a serious problem for any parent.

I doubt he is a bad parent.

All of his children except for the oldest from his first marriage are school aged children.

Maybe the school system wanted to put one of his kids on medication.

Maybe one of them was already introduced to drugs and maybe it was the only way to run a security staff to keep his children secure.

As far as I am concerned any parent that puts their child in a public school in that state in this century ought to be charged with criminal neglect.

And I have a feeling Will Smith has looked at a real school. He has a high school diploma. He's an east coast boy from Philadelphia. I had to do high school in Manhattan. Trust me, we both know what a REAL SCHOOL is.

T.O.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Will Smith's school insists it's not Scientologist

LOS ANGELES - Will Smith 's soon-to-open private school is not a Scientology facility, as some reports have suggested, the academy's director said.

Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, have founded the New Village Academy, scheduled to open in September.

The school will use instructional methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard called study technology. And a few teachers belong to the church.

But the couple say they are not Scientologists, and the academy's director insists the facility has no religious affiliation.

"We are a secular school, and just like all nonreligious independent schools, faculty and staff do not promote their own religions at school or pass on the beliefs of their particular faith to children," New Village Academy director Jacqueline Olivier told the Los Angeles Times.

Oliver said some of the school's staffers are Scientologists, Muslim, Christian or Jewish.

In addition to reading and math, the school offers classes on yoga, robotics and etiquette.

Reasonable Lady

Patron with Honors
LOS ANGELES - Will Smith 's soon-to-open private school is not a Scientology facility, as some reports have suggested, the academy's director said.

Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, have founded the New Village Academy, scheduled to open in September.

The school will use instructional methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard called study technology. And a few teachers belong to the church.

But the couple say they are not Scientologists, and the academy's director insists the facility has no religious affiliation.

"We are a secular school, and just like all nonreligious independent schools, faculty and staff do not promote their own religions at school or pass on the beliefs of their particular faith to children," New Village Academy director Jacqueline Olivier told the Los Angeles Times.

Oliver said some of the school's staffers are Scientologists, Muslim, Christian or Jewish.

In addition to reading and math, the school offers classes on yoga, robotics and etiquette.

Will the Scientologists demonstrate robotics?:D

RL

asagai

Patron Meritorious
This has already been discussed on ESMB, why post a new thread about it Alanzo? Surely you are not trying to bait ESMB are you?

What do you think, Alanzo, about a school using Scn study tech on impressionable youngsters who have no choice over what theories or philosophies they are exposed to?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
This has already been discussed on ESMB, why post a new thread about it Alanzo? Surely you are not trying to bait ESMB are you?

What do you think, Alanzo, about a school using Scn study tech on impressionable youngsters who have no choice over what theories or philosophies they are exposed to?

I forgot to put the attribution. This was on Yahoo's top headlines when I logged on last night. It's an AP wire story.

And no, I'm not trying to "bait" ESMB with this.

God Forbid!

Zander

Patron with Honors
I don't think there is such a thing as a school without any scientology connection, just happening to innocently use "Instructional methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard called study technology." ! :no:

This is because any "tech" at all is tighly controlled from the top of the scientology tree.

This school will undoubtedly be reporting their stats to Able and will be paying a license fee and purchasing books from them too.

And don't forget that Able is an SO unit. This school - whether they intend it or not - is a front group for scn. Even if not actively recruiting, they are "safepointing" scn, they are being used for PR purposes to bolster elron's and scn's image, their stats are used to motivate sci's and create that illusion that they are "saving the planet" and that only they have the complete tech for that.

So I don't think it's a good thing at all despite how they may spin it or how it may appear on the surface. :omg:

Zander

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
First question (rhetorical) to ask:

Does the School have an 'Ethics Officer'?

Well, duh.

Zinj

No, it doesn't. Or at least, it didn't when I first read about it and I can't be bothered to look again.

It has an "Ethics Teacher". Get your facts right before being so critical, Zinj.

:)

Paul

asagai

Patron Meritorious
I forgot to put the attribution. This was on Yahoo's top headlines when I logged on last night. It's an AP wire story.

And no, I'm not trying to "bait" ESMB with this.

God Forbid!

So what do you think Alanzo, about a school using Scn study tech on impressionable youngsters who have no choice over what theories or philosophies they are exposed to?

I know you used to feel your own spirituality had been highjacked by LRH for his own purposes. Do you see any trace of this happining in Will Smith's non-scn scientology school?

Based on what we know about Scn's covert PR ops, do you think there is anything that parents of prospective students should be concerned about?

How much has your opinion altered?

Last edited: