What's new

working for a Scientology-run business?

Adam7986

Declared SP
People stop telling this guy to quit his job ffs. Jobs are not easy to come by. I worked at Panda Software for over a year with tens of non-Scientologists and not a single one was recruited into Scientology. They'll have him do the stupid WISE secularized courses, and all that bullshit, but it's just that...bullshit. And he already knows it. The guy already suffers from anxiety and depression for crying out loud. There's nothing alarming about working for a Scientologist. At the worst it's very annoying. At the best you kick back and collect a paycheck and who cares.

Also dude, first of all no one there has to know you're on medication. Second of all, no one has to know you are seeing a psychiatrist. There are laws called HIPAA that protect you. If they do find out and ridicule or fire you because of it, then you can sue the living fuck out of them. They will be terrified of you and you will have all kinds of power over them because a Scientologist will not sue another Scientologist, but you are not a scientologist so you WILL sue.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello. I worked within the Church of Scientology for 23 years until 1996. I worked for Scientologist-owned/run businesses in Los Angeles from then until 2003.

Short answer: leave ASAP and find another job, not necessarily in that order. :)

Why? Culture gap. Scientologists usually don't tolerate non-Scientologists well and you will be pressured to become one, overtly or covertly. If you are VERY unfortunate you will become one! It's not that there is nothing good about Scientology — if that was the case no-one would stay in it and put up with all the crap for decades — but overall it will suck the life out of you, financially and morally.

EDIT: One company I worked for in LA was David Morse & Associates. All the "technical" staff (Insurance Claims Adjusters and Investigators) and the executives were Scientologists. There were a bunch of "admin" support staff like telephonists who were almost all non-Scientologists, and that worked out OK with the Scios not hitting on (so to speak) the non-Scios.

Paul

I pretty much agree with Paul here. There will be subtle or not-so-subtle efforts to get you "on board". There are varying degrees of intensity of this - each company would be different.

I worked for several Scn companies in my time. Worst case: They will put you on a "units" system so that you may not be paid fairly. Best case: you will suffer the stigma of not being "one of us" which can make the work environment intolerable.

Actually, the worst-worst case is what Paul said: you could actually get interested, become a Scn-ist, and only find out 20-30 years later what it really cost you!

So yeah, line up another job (if you can) and bail.