What's new

Would you like fries with that "Enlightenment?"

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Went into a MacDonalds today with my daughter and marvelled how similar it was to every other Maccas I’ve been in. It’s “standardized.” It’s got the same range of food so that what you taste here is the same as what you’ll taste anywhere else. Predictable. So if you like (or dislike) something here, you know what you’ll get at any other Maccas – the same thing.

It’s the formula for a “successful organism.” “It works so let’s do exactly the same so that every customer will have the some experience.”

And that was the aim with the Scientology “franchise” – do it exactly the same everywhere on the planet. Give every customer the same experience. Use the same staff training courses and the same sales techniques and the same advertised goals.

I used to believe it was because Hubbard had a “standard” technology that would work if you did it exactly the same each time. But human beings are so wildly different from each other that this approach just can’t cut it.

So maybe it was just a franchise activity. Get a standardized framework so that the same business model could be duplicated everywhere. Scientology in Tel Aviv, Moscow, Hong Kong, Chicago, London – all the same and recognizably the same.

Since Hubbard’s departure, David Miscavige has taken this even further. Less human contact with people and more audio-visual salesmanship. Drills on studied materials that teach there is only one answer to every question. Demanding staff are trained even more so in a central location at Flag on EVERY course that’s released. Even promoting that everybody does their auditing at Flag.

And of course having every org an “Ideal Org.” Shiny, acceptable to celebrities who walk in (which they seldom ever do) and little human contact to ruin the continuity of the experience. Staff who all sell the same commodities to their customers and do little else. And who have to look the same – “upstat” as determined by Miscavige.

And then there’s the events – so that every Scientologist is on the same page as I once heard Miscavige say.

And all of it approved and planned by him so that the only face people see is his. The Ronald MacDonald of “religious” movements.

To Hubbard’s “Colonel Sanders?”

Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey!

Leave Colonel Harlan Sanders out of this!

I am old friends with the Colonel. I've been a devotee of his from way back when he was only a private.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
5150112395_fa2399da5a.jpg

I used to believe it was because Hubbard had a “standard” technology that would work if you did it exactly the same each time. But human beings are so wildly different from each other that this approach just can’t cut it.

I'm more inclined to the view that "standard tech" refers to common procedures more given to "opening up" the issues of individuals so they can better address their own unique qualities. So much of human society is aimed at creating a "common consensus" about what it means to be human. That "consensus" can be very stifling and overwhelming to an individual spiritually. What Hubbard called "standard tech", when sensibly applied, does a fair job of helping individuals to expand & explore their own self-nature. Of course when it is applied coercively it produces a stultifying and destructive effect.

Mark A. Baker

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
Always when I eat in a McDonalds "Restaurant" I get an allergy. My skin starts burning and itching.

Also I feel very bored with sitting in every town, every country in the same restaurant and getting the same food.

The McDonalds universe is little and constrained!

LongTimeGone

Always when I eat in a McDonalds "Restaurant" I get an allergy. My skin starts burning and itching.

Also I feel very bored with sitting in every town, every country in the same restaurant and getting the same food.

The McDonalds universe is little and constrained!

Obviously you haven't got the EP of McDonalds.
You are possibly squirreling - Have you been eating at KFC without telling us?
You are probably PTS to the Pizza Hut franchise.
Anyway, what turns it on will turn it off - So buy MORE big Macs and stand up rather than sit down.
Stick with standard tech - Trust me, it WILL eventually make you fat.
D.

Nicole

Obviously you haven't got the EP of McDonalds.
You are possibly squirreling - Have you been eating at KFC without telling us?
You are probably PTS to the Pizza Hut franchise.
Anyway, what turns it on will turn it off - So buy MORE big Macs and stand up rather than sit down.
Stick with standard tech - Trust me, it WILL eventually make you fat.
D.

:lol:

Arthur Dent

The "Testing Centers," "The Basics" and now the installation in the orgs of push-button intro movies and "interactive" (but not with humans)
displays, has taken McScientology to a whole other auto-mat level.

It is the perfect formula for people not to want it. Keep going guys!

AlphOhm

Traveler of time/space
Welco to Madonna, may I tae you odo? ...... Tanjooberrymoosh

wHy U s0unD s0fa kInG wE Tar diD?

Only time I ever didn't pass an e-meter metabolism test was just after lunch from McDonald's. At that point I decided that stuff wasn't really food and haven't been back since.

I think the "church" has steered itself toward similar results with all the "new improvements."

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Only time I ever didn't pass an e-meter metabolism test was just after lunch from McDonald's. At that point I decided that stuff wasn't really food and haven't been back since.

Quite right. It isn't food. Only humans are stupid enough to eat it. Even fungi and bacteria won't touch it. For example, see some 18-year-old burgers here . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyDXH1amic

Paul

Last edited:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Scooter, Macdonalds does actually vary from one country to another, but certainly within one country the product is as close to identical as possible.

The MacFormula is very different $cn. It's meant to be boring--no one has to really like it, it just makes sure that no one really DISlikes it.

As for sauerlaenderin's allergy issues, look to the glutamates in the plastic cheese, and I've also detected them in the beef. This doesn't distress me as badly as the MONOSODIUMglutamate that fill KFC product which leaves me very ill for days.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I'm a fan of standardization, though I also like variety. Depends on the day, the company, and the reason I'm out there looking. Sometimes, I just want a burger. For instance, when I travel abroad, I try to sample their foods, but often I have no idea what I'm eating, and it doesn't taste good. After a while, I start to feel confused, hungry, and dispirited. At such moments, I like nothing better than a McDonalds or some other franchise that gives me something as an anchor.

With regard to standardization of methods to achieving enlightenment, I think it's a good idea, and is useful as far as it goes. Where those methods fail, you have to be able to simply be there and listen, and I feel that a person with good instincts can fumble their way to helping another person unload what they need to unload. Mostly, enlightenment is about removing conditioning, and training a person to be able to write their own mental software.

Nicole

Scooter, Macdonalds does actually vary from one country to another, but certainly within one country the product is as close to identical as possible.

The MacFormula is very different $cn. It's meant to be boring--no one has to really like it, it just makes sure that no one really DISlikes it.

As for sauerlaenderin's allergy issues, look to the glutamates in the plastic cheese, and I've also detected them in the beef. This doesn't distress me as badly as the MONOSODIUMglutamate that fill KFC product which leaves me very ill for days.

It are the glutamates!

Are you a clairvoyant? :coolwink:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
My cats love macdonalds burgers *and* chicken nuggets. It's one of the few things they all agree on. Of course, they love my armpits too, whatever that means.

Zinj