Xeniphon calls for inquiry into scientology

Carmel

Crusader
Good to see it get to this point, where he can call it as it is, and where our two leaders will now have to *answer* to public demand. More stages to go through, but all going in right direction.

Good job, Sen X. :thumbsup:

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is a good move on Senator X's part. This may eventually go about several evolutions until the right approach is found that will be accepted by the Senate at large. I think that the issues of specific wrongful treatment of members should be the reason for the inquiry. Once specific laws can be put in place concerning the wrongful actions by 'religions' upon their members, it would then become illegal to do so. After which if Scn continues to commit such wrongs.. (as they are likely to do so), then members could have them arrested, tried and convicted for their actions.

This is how France very effectively prosecuted them for fraud and forced them to pay fines as well as put up signs at the entry warning public of the potential harm.

Going after them as a religion, once that is established, would be a long and tiring process that only stands a 50/50 chance of success at best.

byte301

Crusader
Whatever happens down the road I think Senator Xenophon is a real hero. He cares about the people involved. The opposition obviously doesn't. And that speaks volumes.

I hope the voters remember this when election time rolls around.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Whatever happens down the road I think Senator Xenophon is a real hero. He cares about the people involved. The opposition obviously doesn't. And that speaks volumes.

I hope the voters remember this when election time rolls around.

The problem is that the two major parties have not supported the inquiry - the Government and the Opposition.

So that doesn't leave voters much choice. Some of the more left leaning people will vote Green, the third minor power, but it won't make a huge difference.

Voters really have nothing to choose between the two of the major parties on this issue, and many conservative people would not be in favour of the possibility of their own churches being jeopardised in relation to their tax exempt status.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
It's been over 3 years since the suicide of Edward McBride and the resultant refusal of the CofS to turn over his PC and Ethics folders to the Coroner enquiring into his death.

We'll possibly never know the whole story but many of us here have a pretty good idea of what may have occurred to provoke Edward's desperate action.

The next time someone dies/suicides as a direct result of CofS practices here in Australia, I hope we'll all take the time and effort to remind our political leaders and their spineless followers that they could have easily prevented that inevitable tragedy.

byte301

Crusader
It's been over 3 years since the suicide of Edward McBride and the resultant refusal of the CofS to turn over his PC and Ethics folders to the Coroner enquiring into his death.

We'll possibly never know the whole story but many of us here have a pretty good idea of what may have occurred to provoke Edward's desperate action.

The next time someone dies/suicides as a direct result of CofS practices here in Australia, I hope we'll all take the time and effort to remind our political leaders and their spineless followers that they could have easily prevented that inevitable tragedy.

I just wonder how many Jonestowns, Heaven's Gates, and Wacos it'll take until there polititians get it.

I am furious. :angry:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron

I'd wished I'd thought of that a few hours ago. :omg:

Certainly will be pushing that in the next week as the media/public opinion backlash against this backdown hits fever pitch.:yes:

Chess

Patron with Honors
Patience and a cool attitude is needed, the seeds are sown. It would be easier to stop the tide than for Scientology to ever earn credabilty again. A week is a long time time in polictics. Let's see if we can shine the light just a little harder on a specific Scilion or two, the media is hungry.