Xtranormal Animated Movies

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
This is best watched in full-screen high definition with the captions (subtitles) turned on. The theme changes from the lecture-theatre format after a minute and a half, but I don't want to spoil the surprise by saying what it changes to.

There should be something for everyone here, whether an indie, never-innie, exy, or whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTphB7n2Z84

Paul

I started this thread to have somewhere for ESMBers (not just me!) to put a copy of their Xtranormal movies. And to encourage ESMBers to make more animations!

Xtranormal at www.xtranormal.com has the tagline, "If you can type, you can make movies." It is free or low-cost and easy-to-use software. You can use their online software, or you can download their Desktop software and make movies offline, then upload them to YouTube etc.

It really is free or cheap for individual use. The text-to-speech voices are completely free of charge. You buy characters and sets, paying with XP, "Xtranormal Points." Characters cost 37 or 75 or 150 XP each, sets might cost 150 XP. The Desktop version is cheaper, as there are some things you have to pay for if you use the online moviemaker that are free with the Desktop one. You get 300 XP free when you open a new account. I made my first movie, Tom Meets Katie, using that 300 XP: 75 XP each for the two characters and 150 XP for the set. Once you have bought assets, you can reuse them for free in future movies.

The Desktop version is Windows-only, and needs a relatively modern computer to run on. There are also some things you can do on the Desktop version that you can't do on the online one. As I write this I have completed 4 movies, all using the Desktop version and none using the online one. You cannot move a completed movie, or a half-made one, between the two bits of software.

Xtranormal seems to have been going for a couple of years. I only learned about it a couple of days ago, on this thread from palehorse: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?27543-Katie-Holmes-divorces-Tom-Cruise-the-movie.

Paul

uh oh...

i could be dangerous if i got familiar with that tech. i got a big backlog of ideas

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Sniff.

I just discovered that Xtranormal shut down their operation a month ago. So I will not be making any more Xtranormal animations. Shame.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
http://www.nawmal.com

They now have available the pre-release 50%-discounted Pro version at a mere $495 a year! Well, I'm not going to pay that. Although it could be possible to screenplay/storyboard out a whole bunch of productions including sets, characters, dialogue, camera angles, character motions and gestures etc, pay for a month's worth of use ($99), and crank out a bunch of them within the 30 days access window.

The home version, nawmalFUN, is "coming in 2016." Sigh. No pricing data yet.

EDIT: I just watched several of those productions in this thread. They were really fun to do. Hope I can continue with them. :)

Paul

Last edited: