What's new

Yesterday...

Thanks everyone for your messages of support. It truly makes this much easier to deal with.

I'm doing OK today. Was a freaking mess this morning but as the day unfolded I began to think more clearly.

That is part and parcel of how they operate -- they want to upset you, to knock you off-balance, to get you to make mistakes.

I have received some great help already and I think this will be resolved in a matter of weeks.

Glad to hear it.

I'm going to be offline for a bit tonight as I install (yet another) new computer. Ian couldn't stand the idea of us being without PCs so we had to go buy some new ones, so when this is all over I'll be have a "slightly used PC" sale if anyone is interested :coolwink:

If I were in your shoes, I would consider the returned machines as compromised -- I wouldn't be caught dead using them online.

If you do decide to sell them, ensure that their hard drives are properly wiped so data recovery is impossible. Formatting the drive is NOT enough! Data can be recovered from a drive even after it has been formatted. I would recommend a data destruction utility called Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). It can be downloaded from: http://www.dban.org/

Operation Foot-Bullet continues apace.

Guy Fawkes

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Best of luck to you during this difficult time! Having had a close family member accused of a crime they did not commit, I give you this advice:

1. Hire a lawyer as soon as possible. Preferably one who has plenty of experience in the area of your alleged crimes. Don't be afraid to ask about their credentials, experience and any trials they have participated in. Select one you are comfortable with. Ask questions and use your intuition.

2. Tell your lawyer the truth at all times. Building a trusting relationship is vital to your defense.

3. Say nothing, and I mean nothing to the police, investigators or the prosecutor. Anything you say can and will be twisted into making you look guilty or attack your credibility. They are very, very good at this. Don't take it personally, they are doing their job. (Take the scio attack personally!!)

4. If approached by the police for questioning your only response should be "I need my lawyer to be present before I talk to you".

5. You will probably be deposed (I don't know if this is the same word used in Australia). You must have your lawyer present with you. They will guide the questioning and insure that you do not answer any question that puts you in a negative light.

6. Prepare yourself mentally for the long haul. This is going to take a long time, probably months. There will be days or weeks where nothing happens. Be patient.

Peace.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Best of luck to you during this difficult time! Having had a close family member accused of a crime they did not commit, I give you this advice:

1. Hire a lawyer as soon as possible. Preferably one who has plenty of experience in the area of your alleged crimes. Don't be afraid to ask about their credentials, experience and any trials they have participated in. Select one you are comfortable with. Ask questions and use your intuition.

2. Tell your lawyer the truth at all times. Building a trusting relationship is vital to your defense.

3. Say nothing, and I mean nothing to the police, investigators or the prosecutor. Anything you say can and will be twisted into making you look guilty or attack your credibility. They are very, very good at this. Don't take it personally, they are doing their job. (Take the scio attack personally!!)

4. If approached by the police for questioning your only response should be "I need my lawyer to be present before I talk to you".

5. You will probably be deposed (I don't know if this is the same word used in Australia). You must have your lawyer present with you. They will guide the questioning and insure that you do not answer any question that puts you in a negative light.

6. Prepare yourself mentally for the long haul. This is going to take a long time, probably months. There will be days or weeks where nothing happens. Be patient.

Peace.

Best advice I've seen here yet! Emma, I second all this.

TG1

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Need ?

Yep - It was Earthlink.

Just to clarify - I'm engaging a lawyer not just in case I need the defence, but to make sure the police don't let the CoS anywhere near my equipment. Also to check whether the warrant should have been issued in the first place based on what they call "evidence" and to see if I have any path of recourse.

If I can prove to the police (which I think is very likely) that there should never have been a warrant signed off by the magistrate, I intend to take action against any and all parties involved and get compensation for the loss of equipment, time off work, stress & duress and any other costs involved.

Need a legal fund, Emma? Could we do it here, like with the donations?

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
And all the recent

However, BF, it seems likely that the attack was planned at least a few months in advance, since, until recently Emma had her own DA Page on Religiousfreedomwatch, but, it was *removed*.

Which seemed odd at the time, but, less so now.

Zinj

And all the recent personal attack/distraction incidents . . .

Well, that's assuming that the police are both corrupt and hellbent on having her ass hung out to dry.

They're not neccesarily..

Perhaps not, but it should be remembered that the police have their own agendas, which do not necessarily coincide with yours. If you country's legal system gives you the right to silence, then you have little to lose by exercising it. N.B.: This is no longer the case in Britain--although there is a nominal right to silence, the courts may interpret this in a negative light.

One thing does 'worry' me though. That is the authorities making a mountain of a molehill about DDOS'ing. Up to 10 years imprisonment ? - (That's in UK according to an earlier post) - Well, that's like 10 years for illegal parking in my view.

Tell me about it. The problem is that the various legislators (and judges for that matter) tend to be old men, who are more familiar with typewriters and yellow legal pads than they are with computers. Most of them are appallingly ignorant of the technology; this is why legislators author such god-awful criminal penalties for computer crimes.

Whatever.. I don't think we, or Emma, needs to fear the police in this instance.
:unsure:

It is always prudent to be cautious where the authorities are concerned. As I said earlier, they have their own agendas.

Guy Fawkes

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
THIS \/ \/ \/

What the hell is it with the accounting business on all these plegies? Doesn't anyone just give from their heart anymore for a cause without needing to know what every penny was spent on?

WHO THE FUCK CARES?

If Emma needs, shouldn't it just matter that you have decided to donate with no strings attached?

I am sick of this pervasive accounting that always seems to creep in on these things.

Does the CO$ provide books and ledgers of their donations?
oh perhaps they do, my bad...

GIVE A FUCK
GIVE A BUCK!

THIS /\ /\ /\ Any left over at the end - use it anyway you wish . . .
Helping newbies out, ESMB, a legal trust account, whatever. Buy your lawyers a beer - or two - celebrate a victory with a party for all the Aussies. Invite Xenophon . . . :yes: :thumbsup:

I thought of this too -- if they start "outing" people there will be a whole army of previously quiet people who now have nothing to lose . . .

But . . . the CofS doesn't have the computers right? They are in the hands of police looking only for specific info . . . . They shouldn't be able to get our IP's. . . should they?

You can make it harder for them to get your IP addresses by using a proxy. Tor is a particularly good one. Don't get me wrong... tor isn't bulletproof, but is a damn sight better than surfing naked.

See: https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en

You also might wish to look into services such iPredator, allegedly run by the (former) operators of the Pirate Bay. For a few Euros a month, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) which will make it appear as if you're connecting from a Swedish IP.

All traffic between your ISP and the VPN endpoint is encrypted, so it cannot be eavesdropped upon.

Guy Fawkes

Your'e 'talking' to OSA? -
Are you assuming that they get access to ESMB's server logs?

I don't think they get access to that. I don't think the australian police will give 'em the records or the information.

Hmm.. The US raid on Erhlich and Arnie has been mentioned.. But this is not like that. In the US they have this (totally insane) regulation, that the scientologists themselves, OSA and their shysters, can send a team to actually do the raid and confiscate whatever they like to. Only accompanied by a cop that they probably had bought.

Not so in Austarlia, I think.. This would have been real cops. No scientologists there, and no scientologists helping out with this investigation either.. At least I hope so.. But if there IS a scilon in the police I'm sure the fact is unknown to the police force. It would be vested interests and against the rules. Like it is in most of the civilized world.

:yes:

I'm not so sure about that. If I am not mistaken, the procedure used in the United States, Canada, Britain and Australia is known as an Anton Piller order.

See: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Anton_Piller_order

http://www.iptoolbox.gov.au/default.asp?print=true&action=article&ID=89

http://www.bdlg.com.au/index.php/Li...ervation-of-evidence-anton-piller-orders.html

Guy Fawkes

Carmel

Crusader
You can make it harder for them to get your IP addresses by using a proxy. Tor is a particularly good one. Don't get me wrong... tor isn't bulletproof, but is a damn sight better than surfing naked.

You also might wish to look into services such iPredator, allegedly run by the (former) operators of the Pirate Bay. For a few Euros a month, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) which will make it appear as if you're connecting from a Swedish IP.

All traffic between your ISP and the VPN endpoint is encrypted, so it cannot be eavesdropped upon.

Guy Fawkes
Whoa!!!!!!!

What ya tryin' to do here? Scare the hell out of everyone?

While there's some validity in what you having been saying, I disagree with the emphasis - Things aren't that bleak, and the risk is not what you're presenting it to be, IMO.

Given that you're communicating to people who are generally former exes, many of whom are not computer savy, this sort of advice isn't very friendly. For some here, you'd be making it all seem too risky and too difficult to get around.......Is that what you want?

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I used to use "the cloak" to surf. Was pretty good for it's time. At this point, I simply don't care who is eavesdropping. In this day and age, I simply assume I'm being watched at all times, and that anyone interested in gaining access to that "watched" stuff with enough money can.

I think it's best to assume that, regardless of how scary it is. It will inform how you make decisions. Being afraid is useless. Just do what you want, and assume everyone knows.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Whoa!!!!!!!

What ya tryin' to do here? Scare the hell out of everyone?

While there's some validity in what you having been saying, I disagree with the emphasis - Things aren't that bleak, and the risk is not what you're presenting it to be, IMO.

Given that you're communicating to people who are generally former exes, many of whom are not computer savy, this sort of advice isn't very friendly. For some here, you'd be making it all seem too risky and too difficult to get around.......Is that what you want?

New anonymous (lower-case) poster who just happens to appear right at this moment.

Hmmm.

Paul

Carmel

Crusader
I used to use "the cloak" to surf. Was pretty good for it's time. At this point, I simply don't care who is eavesdropping. In this day and age, I simply assume I'm being watched at all times, and that anyone interested in gaining access to that "watched" stuff with enough money can.

I think it's best to assume that, regardless of how scary it is. It will inform how you make decisions. Being afraid is useless. Just do what you want, and assume everyone knows.
It's fine to be prepared for the worst scenario.......Very limiting though to assume the worst scenario is what *is* and will be.

Crikey, there's some risk factor in everything we do (taking a walk in the park, driving in a car, etc)..........If we didn't weigh things up and only saw the worst of what could possibly happen, then most of us would be depriving ourselves of life. Good to look at the whole picture, and not blow things out of proportion, I reckon.

I don't know, Earthlink perhaps? :D

Not likely. Remember that the clams used to send people all over the United States to setup ISP accounts under false pretences. If memory serves, I believe it was Tory that said she was involved in such activities, although she didn't understand what was going on at the time.

There's a chance that providers generate checksums over their logfiles.

Immaterial, really. If the logs can be tampered with, so can the checksums.

Also, the alleged DDOS attacks were what, 2 years ago? I hardly think any ISP keeps logs for 2 years.

Guy Fawkes

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Not likely. Remember that the clams used to send people all over the United States to setup ISP accounts under false pretences.

Apparently it was. And, there's a difference between 'hosting' and 'ISP'. The 'Sporge' continued after Magoo 'left the building' until it was shut down out of fear of the FBI.

Immaterial, really. If the logs can be tampered with, so can the checksums.

It's also one of those silly 'details' that criminals tend to forget in the original enthusiasm and that can prove 'revealing'.

Also, the alleged DDOS attacks were what, 2 years ago? I hardly think any ISP keeps logs for 2 years.

Earthlink, as the 'hosting' company is apparently at least claiming they did. As is Emma's ISP. Which is what this is all about.

Zinj

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey, Guy

Guy Fawkes

Welcome, Guy :welcome: I like you :D :guyfawkes: Thanks for all the great info :yes: