What's new

Debbie Cook, Karen de la Carrier and now Mark Shreffler - email going viral?

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I too received this email but, not knowing who or what Mark Schrefler is, I dumped it in my Spam bin. I took it out this morning to take a look at it and realised why I dumped it (mainly because of the Hubbard quote at the start, and I didn't even bother scrolling down to the body of the email.

What's interesting is this bit at the end of the message:

"You received this email because your email address was on a list of Scientologists to receive information about current events in Scientology. If you have friends who are interested to receive information about current events in Scientology you can subscribe to our newsletters here. If you do not want to receive future newsletters you can unsubscribe your email at the same address. More information can be found at http://thetaburst.org or contact [email protected]."

Excuse me? My email addy was on a list of Scientologists? I can only surmise that my addy came from an email I stupidly sent to Debbie Cook before I realised she hadn't changed that much from the time I knew her.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I don't want to click a potential Co$ link. What is that thetaburst thing? Are they mining Scieno contact info for a possible coup or something? I was wondering how all these mass emails were getting sent to the list that Debbie absconded with - this thetaburst seems to be one possible explanation.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I too received this email but, not knowing who or what Mark Schrefler is, I dumped it in my Spam bin. I took it out this morning to take a look at it and realised why I dumped it (mainly because of the Hubbard quote at the start, and I didn't even bother scrolling down to the body of the email.

What's interesting is this bit at the end of the message:

"You received this email because your email address was on a list of Scientologists to receive information about current events in Scientology. If you have friends who are interested to receive information about current events in Scientology you can subscribe to our newsletters here. If you do not want to receive future newsletters you can unsubscribe your email at the same address. More information can be found at http://thetaburst.org or contact [email protected]."

Excuse me? My email addy was on a list of Scientologists? I can only surmise that my addy came from an email I stupidly sent to Debbie Cook before I realised she hadn't changed that much from the time I knew her.

INteresting Petey - that leaves open a whole can of worms. How did this guy get hold of a mailing list of people who emailed Cook? Either he got it from Cook or her husband or he got it from the cofs.

Either way it looks like the email addresses of those who sent stuff to debbie are now, apparently, in the public domain. Looks like Deb sold out.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
INteresting Petey - that leaves open a whole can of worms. How did this guy get hold of a mailing list of people who emailed Cook? Either he got it from Cook or her husband or he got it from the cofs.

Either way it looks like the email addresses of those who sent stuff to debbie are now, apparently, in the public domain. Looks like Deb sold out.

Looks to me like it's a list server type mailing list. Anyone on the list can send an email to the list server and the server, then sends it out to everyone on the list.

When I was in I was on such a "theta" list.

I had some correspondence with Debbie Cook. I didn't receive the e mail.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

The existence of some list serv mailing list isn't particularly odd or surprising. My bigger question is who set it up, who is maintaining it, and for what purpose is this being done? It would have been an awful lot of work to set it up for a single New Years Eve email. With most list serv programs, you have to be authorized to send an email to the group.

That makes me think that there is some collusion with these mass emails going out. Of course, that's not necessarily a BAD thing, but it certainly makes me think that these noisy defections are becoming more deliberate and organized.

I think Deb sold out to the Indies. Of course I have no proof of this, but it's worth noting that all the people who have sent mass emails since Debbie have been in touch with Marty et al. Looks like "brain drain" is the new modus operandi of the Indies. This could become entertaining.

GreyLensman

The mechanism behind how someone gets out is not known by anyone - what the combination of factors is that gets a cult member to start questioning the control is something that we all would like to have written down somewhere.

And I agree with Veda the statement was inaccurate.

While getting an email or message from someone who a cultie considers another "true believer" might get them to open it and start reading it but if they are "in" then they will stop at the first criticism - because one thing ALL cult members are well trained in is spotting "disloyalty"

Exactly. That's the last wall, the last piece of the trap.

They are indoctrinated by sec checks and ethics - they know if they read any further they are in question as cultist Scientologists, and will be delayed and have added expenses added on to what they believe is the only source of freedom in the universe. Their very existence is hinging on reading or not reading, and they know it - and they at some level determine to hold the postulate of the dream of going up the bridge and obtaining total freedom and saving the whole planet! (Thank you Total Recall)

So what if there are some disagreements - and maybe some things you shouldn't think toward. That's just bank coming up with reasons why you can't go free, that's all it is.

Lone Star

Crusader
The existence of some list serv mailing list isn't particularly odd or surprising. My bigger question is who set it up, who is maintaining it, and for what purpose is this being done? It would have been an awful lot of work to set it up for a single New Years Eve email. With most list serv programs, you have to be authorized to send an email to the group.

That makes me think that there is some collusion with these mass emails going out. Of course, that's not necessarily a BAD thing, but it certainly makes me think that these noisy defections are becoming more deliberate and organized.

I think Deb sold out to the Indies. Of course I have no proof of this, but it's worth noting that all the people who have sent mass emails since Debbie have been in touch with Marty et al. Looks like "brain drain" is the new modus operandi of the Indies. This could become entertaining.

I think the email list does have Debbie's fingerprints on it because both her email and now Shreffler's email came to my account that used to be on Flag's list. I gave Flag that address back when Debbie was still Captain.

Petey C

Mmmhmm! That was the only time I sent an email to a Scilon. (Though I see some people were in touch with her whose names didn't end up on the email distribution.) There's no way my email addy came from Flag as I left long before the days of email.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I think the email list does have Debbie's fingerprints on it because both her email and now Shreffler's email came to my account that used to be on Flag's list. I gave Flag that address back when Debbie was still Captain.

Lone Star and Petey - any indication that Karen or Wendy Honnor used this list? I'm curious because my experience with list serv programs is that they're a real pain in the ass to get up and running, but really efficient and wonderful once set up. It makes absolutely zero sense for her to have done it for a one time email.

Once again, I find myself wondering what Debbie is really up to.

Lone Star

Crusader
Lone Star and Petey - any indication that Karen or Wendy Honnor used this list? I'm curious because my experience with list serv programs is that they're a real pain in the ass to get up and running, but really efficient and wonderful once set up. It makes absolutely zero sense for her to have done it for a one time email.

AFAIK I never received either Wendy's or Karen's emails. I look at all email names and subject lines before deleting. But it's possible that I overlooked them.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
AFAIK I never received either Wendy's or Karen's emails. I look at all email names and subject lines before deleting. But it's possible that I overlooked them.

Those two would naturally have large social networks, so it's entirely possible they just used their own address books. But it's certainly an interesting set of coincidences with Sheffler and Debbie. I'm admiring them more and more, but trusting their motives less and less.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Interesting. I did not receive the Cook email. I DID receive the Shreffler email. I wondered at the time how this had happened. So that eliminates it came from the Cooks to a large extent.

The email list is different to the Cook list.

Very few people have the email address this email came to me in on. Interesting.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Nah. I got the email and I did not receive the Cook email. It's a different email list to the Cook list or possibly the Cook list with additions, such as myself.

The big question is who added my email address to this list. I won't reveal who is in my contacts but things make sense to me now.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

I did not receive the Honnor email or the Cook email but did receive the Shreffler email.

I am fairly sure I know who is helping Mark but I will not disclose that publicly. Not my place. It is someone in my very very small address book on an email account I do not use much at all.

Conspiracy theory over for me. All good.

Of course I could be wrong. :)

Additional info:

I just looked at this thetaburst web site. Nothing is what it appears to be. I am now totally relaxed. Do you remember ages ago an email was sent out (was it the Aussies that did this?) and it was aimed at trying to wake people up but worded in such a way that it looked like it was "real scientology - safe"?

I am 80%+ certain this is web site is not connected to the cult. It is designed to get the attention of those still in. Nice work boys. I get it.

Megalomaniac

I had some correspondence with Debbie Cook. I didn't receive the e mail.

I too received this email but, not knowing who or what Mark Schrefler is, I dumped it in my Spam bin.

I did not receive the Honnor email or the Cook email but did receive the Shreffler email.

I did not receive the Cook e-mail.
I did not receive the Honnor e-mail.
I did not receive the Shreffler e-mail.
I did not get any ThetaBurst.
Nothing.

I'm not popular like you guys. :hmmph:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Additional info:

I just looked at this thetaburst web site. Nothing is what it appears to be. I am now totally relaxed. Do you remember ages ago an email was sent out (was it the Aussies that did this?) and it was aimed at trying to wake people up but worded in such a way that it looked like it was "real scientology - safe"?

I am 80%+ certain this is web site is not connected to the cult. It is designed to get the attention of those still in. Nice work boys. I get it.

I didn't want to click it just in case, but I was thinking it would be something along those lines. All of the emails so far have been "LRH good; DM bad."