What's new

Leonard Cohen has passed away

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
He had cancer according to his last interview - can it be so hard to figure out? I, of course, am kicking my self, because I Q&Aed about going to the concert he gave here in LA at the Nokia a couple years ago, thinking I'd catch him next time around.

:duh:

Mimsey

Sure, but that's not why he died. So why jump to conclusions?

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Where's the fun in knowing the facts? If not knowing facts got Trump elected, why do I need any stinking facts? Mimsey

I don't get the analogy Mimsey! (look like demagogy)

She ask the cause of death as we normally ask for anyone who we feel concern about!
(often to be reassure they did died peacefully withouth suffering long agony...)
Is this too hard to understand????? :confused2:

Thanks for the info Victoria..:coolwink:
I too was looking for ithis info and it's comforting he died this way....and this specifc day....

I don't get the analogy Mimsey! (look like demagogy)

She ask the cause of death as we normally ask for anyone who we feel concern about!
(often to be reassure they did died peacefully withouth suffering long agony...)
Is this too hard to understand????? :confused2:

Thanks for the info Victoria..:coolwink:
I too was looking for this info and it's comforting he died this way....and this specific day....
my bad. we just elected a president who made up all sorts of facts that had no bearing in reality. He would say"I hear" or "people are saying" and make up all sorts of crazy stuff. So, perhaps it was a joke in poor taste.

That said, he had cancer, he was very frail, he weighed almost nothing according to the interview I heard. So him falling and dieing in his sleep, is along the lines of the straw that broke the camels back. They AFAIK have never released more than what she posted and the news reported.

It is very sad that he passed, he was amazingly productive till the end, and we shall all miss him.

Mmsey

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
That's okay Mimsey, I get it now!
Sorry about my comment!

That's why I wrote I was comforted he died on Monday...not thursday, neither wednesday or the following week....
He could depart with peace in heart....

Yes he is missed, tremendously.

This tribute (from his fans) has been held in a park, in front of his home in Montreal

[video]https://youtu.be/ibUKEwds4Ng[/video]

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Here is a song he wrote on democracy (in USA )...

LEONARD COHEN LYRICS
"Democracy"

It's coming through a hole in the air,
from those nights in Tiananmen Square.
It's coming from the feel
that this ain't exactly real,
or it's real, but it ain't exactly there.
From the wars against disorder,
from the sirens night and day,
from the fires of the homeless,
from the ashes of the gay:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.
It's coming through a crack in the wall;
on a visionary flood of alcohol;
from the staggering account
of the Sermon on the Mount
which I don't pretend to understand at all.
It's coming from the silence
on the dock of the bay,
from the brave, the bold, the battered
heart of Chevrolet:

It's coming from the sorrow in the street,
the holy places where the races meet;
from the homicidal bitchin'
that goes down in every kitchen
to determine who will serve and who will eat.
From the wells of disappointment
where the women kneel to pray
for the grace of God in the desert here
and the desert far away:

Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State!
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on.

It's coming to America first,
the cradle of the best and of the worst.
It's here they got the range
and the machinery for change
and it's here they got the spiritual thirst.
It's here the family's broken
and it's here the lonely say
that the heart has got to open
in a fundamental way:

It's coming from the women and the men.
O baby, we'll be making love again.
We'll be going down so deep
the river's going to weep,
and the mountain's going to shout Amen!
It's coming like the tidal flood
beneath the lunar sway,
imperial, mysterious,
in amorous array:

Sail on, sail on ...

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:

He was called a visonary!

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
A second rate guitar player and a lousy poet !.

I don't remember him ever claiming to be the world's greatest guitar player. How about showing us some of your poetry then michaelangelo.

I'd say his guitar playing is better than your punctuation.

That's okay Mimsey, I get it now!
Sorry about my comment!

That's why I wrote I was comforted he dies on Monday...not thursday, wednesday neither the following week....
He could depart with peace in heart....

Yes he is missed..tremendously....

This tribute has been held in a park fin front of his home in Montreal

[video]https://youtu.be/ibUKEwds4Ng[/video]
Hell - it looks cold up there. Burrrr. Thanks for posting this. Mimseuy

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
There are some dilletante musicians and song writers suckpuppets who truly loved his lousy work.. (but they don't know about music and poetry...)

'' I’ve seen Leonard Cohen a bunch in recent years. He’s about to turn 80. Leonard Cohen’s concert was probably one of the best things I’ve ever seen in my life. It was like a religious experience. It’s probably one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen at a concert. It was the quietest concert I’ve ever seen, and probably the most beautiful.''

Elton John

It perhaps takes a crack in the brain to let an artist words touch our heart...:confused2:

:confused2:

p.s. He was a genuine toughtful gentleman as he would never show up in a funeral, among grieving people, and act as a critics about a lifetime dedicated work of the dead... but he would be glad that he still made react some ''lousy critics'' though..even beyond death ..:coolwink:

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Stratty , since you love Yo-Yo Ma - who joined with James Taylor to pay a tribute to Leonard , playing ''suzanne'' song
Beautiful rendition!

[video]https://youtu.be/d5IpbSD4Vb0[/video]

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
A second rate guitar player and a lousy poet !.

I just channeled Leonard,
here is what he says about his song and music

''There’s a place for my kind of music although it can never be mainstream. It is a sanctuary for me and for the people who can use it that way. That’s what I use it for. A sanctuary.
I would say I write my songs for people who find themselves in the kinds of predicaments that I found myself in. I think that’s a wide number of people. You could roughly call these people the broken-hearted....''

Leonard Cohen

strativarius

Stratty , since you love Yo-Yo Ma - who joined with James Taylor to pay a tribute to Leonard , playing ''suzanne'' song
Beautiful rendition!

Thanks sweetheart. At the moment I'm downloading 'Bird on a Wire', a film by Tony Palmer about Cohen's 1972 European tour, and it's taking up all my machine's resources right now. I'll have an MP3 made of your video at the website you gave me when it's done.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I am presently (for a week) making a compilation of lot of stuff (I serached) that were not on his available records like duets and on stage performances + soundtests.
When I am finished with it, If you wish, I can PM you a link to download it. It won't take all your computer ressources to Dowload, only some time. (Then, you can choose to keep whatever you like)

:)

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I don't remember him ever claiming to be the world's greatest guitar player. How about showing us some of your poetry then michaelangelo.

I'd say his guitar playing is better than your punctuation.

Just my opinion.
I thought he was a bit dull and depressing.
Also you don't need to be good at punctuation to know what you like or don't or to have an opinion!

Last edited:

strativarius

Just my opinion.
I thought he was a bit dull and depressing.

I think one can have an opinion, like for example 'his stuff isn't to my taste' or words to that effect, and that's perfectly fine, but unless one can actually play the guitar or write poetry I don't believe one has the right to judge the quality of another's work in those fields.

His guitar playing might sound elementary to you, but speaking as someone who can play the guitar a little, his work is far more nuanced than you perhaps might be aware of.

Just my humble opinion.