What's new

Cult use of Christian Cross

Leland

Crusader
It really hit me some years ago....
I posted about this before....and someone posted Crowley’s cross....

But it astonishes me that the cult has gotten away with having a Christian cross on their buildings all these decades!

There can be no argument IMO that that type of cross is universally recognized as a or the Christian symbol.

Hubbard himself says where he “found” it.....which can leave to doubt, if true....that it is a Catholic “Spanish Mission” cross.

I question today, that seeing this cross, in relation to starting in the cult, didn’t somewhat grease the wheels of acceptable to some degree.

After all...it has been the major symbol of a major worldwide religion for over a thousand years!

Who knows what sort of subliminal import this has on anyone?

To me it is typical cult mis-direction, false advertising, positioning.... bait and switch..and who knows what else.

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Well, Church to me implies Christian also.

What other religion puts a cross on the top of their building...?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, Church to me implies Christian also.

What other religion puts a cross on the top of their building...?
When some bureaucrat gets to decide what constitutes a church, and provides a huge money and legal waiver for abuse incentive to create churches, seems like it would only be natural for people to slap a cross on it. How could you say "no" to a reader board with a cross?

The Scientology cross is a registered trade mark, yes? Yet, it shares a stunning resemblance to the Rosicrucian cross. Conveniently, the original cross' trade mark has expired. I could see how LRH would rip off the Rosicrucian cross and then assign all kind of his own symbolism to it. The Rosicrucians were heavily into iconography and LRH must have picked a lot of this up from his OTO days. Seriously, you take an esoteric Christian sect cross and then say it's 8 points symbolize the 8 Dynamics of Scientology. How arbitrary is that? The Scientology cross actually is the perfect symbol for LRH's tendency to rip off ideas from other people and try to make them unrecognizable in Scientology.

Scientologists don't believe in god - the "Big thetan theory", and Jesus and Christianity are the results of alien psychiatrist implants going back millions of years. But they do appreciate that to get tax exempt status and to keep staff from being conscripted into the military during times of war that they must play the religion game so they overlook the cross with a mental sleight of hand. They are totally clueless that the same religious status allows Scientology to treat them without the same protections enjoyed by non-religious employees.

So yes, the Scientology cross does actually embody it's own original organizational and cultural symbology if you know what to look for.

Leland

Crusader
Sure I know all about the OTO links.... I mention them I the beginning of my OP.

But a simple silver cross...doesn’t have all that “engraved” upon it.

It is simple a Chatholic Cross.

It is a complete rip of Christianity symbol.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sure I know all about the OTO links.... I mention them I the beginning of my OP.

But a simple silver cross...doesn’t have all that “engraved” upon it.

It is simple a Chatholic Cross.

It is a complete rip of Christianity symbol.
Do we disagree on anything? Maybe coming at it from different perspectives. Our political system encourages the rip off of the cross. I'd expect that there isn't much of this in countries that don't hand out tax exempt status or other special rights to religious groups as frivolously as the US.

There is some controversy about the origins of the cross as a pagan symbol and it's adoption in Christianity but that is kind of another subject.

I wonder if LRH conducted a PR survey on this before adopting the cross? I kind of doubt it - seems pretty calculated, convenient and know-besty to me. But I'd guess that whatever the survey results were at the time they would be quite different now, especially if people knew the survey was specifically about Scientology's use of the cross.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
It really hit me some years ago....
I posted about this before....and someone posted Crowley’s cross....

But it astonishes me that the cult has gotten away with having a Christian cross on their buildings all these decades!

There can be no argument IMO that that type of cross is universally recognized as a or the Christian symbol.

Hubbard himself says where he “found” it.....which can leave to doubt, if true....that it is a Catholic “Spanish Mission” cross.

I question today, that seeing this cross, in relation to starting in the cult, didn’t somewhat grease the wheels of acceptable to some degree.

After all...it has been the major symbol of a major worldwide religion for over a thousand years!

Who knows what sort of subliminal import this has on anyone?

To me it is typical cult mis-direction, false advertising, positioning.... bait and switch..and who knows what else.
If you're a wolf planning on hanging out with sheep to live a life of luxury with the occasional leg of mutton, a suit of sheepskin would seem to be an excellent choice. The old man said as much in many of his writings.