What's new

Australia, draft legislation - "Defining Charity"

Sidney18511

Patron with Honors
Most religious charities will use money from their members to buy food and cloths to feed the hungry and help the poor.

Scientology will raise money from their members to buy copies of TWTH at full price from the COS and hand them out in thirld world countries. WTF? What good does that do to people in need?

Jump

Operating teatime
Re: Senator Xenophon's speech in support of the Charities Bill 2013

Just looking at that website...

Church Of Scientology Australia is listed twice, each listing with a different ABN -

One registered on 1/1/87 the other on 1/1/2011

I wonder what kind of swifty is being pulled here :ohmy:

RogerB

Crusader
Re: Senator Xenophon's speech in support of the Charities Bill 2013

Just looking at that website...

Church Of Scientology Australia is listed twice, each listing with a different ABN -

One registered on 1/1/87 the other on 1/1/2011

I wonder what kind of swifty is being pulled here :ohmy:

"Swifty" ?? :) spoken like a true Ozzie!:p:biggrin: I LUVVIT!

I haven't heard that expression in something like 50 years! :blush:

Rog

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
As I understand it, a yearly financial statement has to be posted on the public Charities Commission website.

http://www.acnc.gov.au/

Intersting that one of the criteria is "charities for the relief of poverty, sickness and the needs of the aged" and not "the creation of poverty among the young and aged alike." Guess that rules out the cult!!
"

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Dialogue Ireland - Australian Charities Bill 2013

Dialogue Ireland has just posted an excellent historical summary of events leading to the adoption of Australia's Charities Bill 2013, along with links to videos and transcripts:
Australian Charities Bill 2013

Jump

Operating teatime
In the video posted by Chersihed, Senator Xenophon ends his speech with the acknowledgement that the whole process was kicked off by a group of ex-scientologists complaining to him about the harms the Scientology organisation had caused.

Although she is not posting here now, I just wanted to acknowledge the huge input of Carmel Underwood (along with others) in getting the impetus together for this in the first place.

A wonderful effort. :yes:

RogerB

Crusader
Yes, Carmel sweated blood and tears on this campaign.

Honor also to Scooter and Feral.

A brilliant campaign wonderfully performed. Also notable (but not on camera) was Cherished.

Nicely done you lot :happydance:

Rog